[PvE] Scholar vs Strength?

in Warrior

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I’ve always been a big fan of Scholar runes, and been a religious user of them. But with the Strength rune update, it is almost impossible for me to ignore Strength runes any longer.

Pros for Scholar:

• They are the best PvE option if you meet the treshhold.
  • Cheaper (do I care? Not really).

Pros for Strength:

• They are the best solo option for a Warrior.
  • They are the best "PUG carrier (Phalanx Strength) option for a Warrior.
  • Safe to assume 100% uptime on 7% damage – unlike Scholar’s 10%.

If I take people back to “Ruby orbs vs Scholar” situation, Scholar were better if you had a 24% uptime on >90% HP. Does anybody know the figure for Scholar vs Strength, assuming 100% Might Uptime, because that will be the deal breaker for me.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Warrior

Posted by: Caliga Meshima.4768

Caliga Meshima.4768

im bumping this because i want to know also haha.

in Warrior

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

I’ve always been a big fan of Scholar runes, and been a religious user of them. But with the Strength rune update, it is almost impossible for me to ignore Strength runes any longer.

Pros for Scholar:

• They are the best PvE option if you meet the treshhold.
  • Cheaper (do I care? Not really).

Pros for Strength:

• They are the best solo option for a Warrior.
  • They are the best "PUG carrier (Phalanx Strength) option for a Warrior.
  • Safe to assume 100% uptime on 7% damage – unlike Scholar’s 10%.

If I take people back to “Ruby orbs vs Scholar” situation, Scholar were better if you had a 24% uptime on >90% HP. Does anybody know the figure for Scholar vs Strength, assuming 100% Might Uptime, because that will be the deal breaker for me.

I think someone from DnT said that you need a 50-55% uptime on 90%hp to beat strength runes.

It’s definitely a great pug carrier rune and very good for solo play as well. Both are viable options, I prefer scholar runes though because I am over 90% most of the time.

in Warrior

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Strength runes were mechanically broken for a long time. It wasn’t until around the end of last year they were fixed at least in SPVP. When I say mechanically broken I mean since launch of the game up until sometime late last year don’t bother with finding patch notes they didn’t grant the 5% damage that they were supposed to.

As far as the Scholar runes and the 55% up-time comment or whatever. We can pretty much use the same argument that people used against Ruby Orbs before the nerf. Where Scholar was only statistically better than the orbs if you had 90% hp uptime other wise the orbs were better.

Now that ruby orbs are terrible the only real competitor is runes of strength.

If you pug a lot or solo a lot strength is better not just because off the 7% but you can keep your own self generated might stacks up longer and stack might easier.

In preformed groups scholar is better.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in Warrior

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Oh boy here comes Warlord with the made up numbers again. I don’t even remember what the uptime break-even point was on Scholar vs. Ruby but it was very low, I believe around 20%. I could check but honestly I don’t think anyone believes Warlord anyway.

Due to the nerf to Ferocity, the extra Ferocity from Scholar is worth a lot less now and the might duration boost is much more substantial on Strength. Warrior does benefit relatively less from Strength (outside of a Phalanx pug-carrier build) since they don’t stack as much might as other classes do, but you’re really not giving up that much to get it.

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

Oh boy here comes Warlord with the made up numbers again. I don’t even remember what the uptime break-even point was on Scholar vs. Ruby but it was very low, I believe around 20%. I could check but honestly I don’t think anyone believes Warlord anyway.

Due to the nerf to Ferocity, the extra Ferocity from Scholar is worth a lot less now and the might duration boost is much more substantial on Strength. Warrior does benefit relatively less from Strength (outside of a Phalanx pug-carrier build) since they don’t stack as much might as other classes do, but you’re really not giving up that much to get it.

I don’t like you so I could care less what you think about me. Anyways I wasn’t the one who said that there was a 50-55% difference with the 90% HP uptime between strength and scholar someone else made that up and I could really care less who it was or where it came from it pretty strait forward question to answer if your HP never goes below 90% because you are a pro than scholar is better. But you are right that 10% when above hp is the only real thing its got going for it.

in Warrior

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I guess I’ll begin my reply with a copy-paste in a post of mine on the guide I made:

“Runes:
-If you are soloing, I suggest Superior Rune of Strength x6.
-If you aren’t soloing and your party composition either has 1 or more might stacking elementalists or a phalanx strength warrior, you will have higher damage output with Superior Rune of the Scholar x6.
-I know how inconvenient it is to have two full sets of armor so those of you who want an all-around good armor set to use in all circumstances, get Strength Runes.”

Basically since the feature patch, it’s a lot harder for Scholar runes to be the best than it used to be. Not only are they only best in groups, but the group has to be spot-on with might stacking. In PUGs, they aren’t the best to use.

If you’re the kind of player that always has guildmates/friends to do full dungeon runs with, keep your scholar and you’ll be fine. However, scholar runes aren’t THAT much better than strength even in the optimal situation. I mean yeah, they ARE a lot better if your group can properly stack might, but the difference that you make individually has so minimal impact on the outcome of the fight in a group setting that in my opinion is never worth it unless you’re going for a record run.

Strength runes are the best in pugs, the best in solos, and are still really good in superbly organised teams.

in Warrior

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

. Warrior does benefit relatively less from Strength (outside of a Phalanx pug-carrier build) since they don’t stack as much might as other classes do

What

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

in Warrior

Purple Miku.7032

. Warrior does benefit relatively less from Strength (outside of a Phalanx pug-carrier build) since they don’t stack as much might as other classes do

What

I actually agree with hendo.

What?

in Warrior

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

What

What?

I seem to have no problem generating plenty of might, and when I go with might sharing I can maintain 20-25 stacks easily. So I’m hoping that was just sarcasm about warriors, or maybe they meant “in the most professionally organized group play there is a profession better at generating might for a short period of time even if it isn’t maintained”. That sounds about accurate.

in Warrior

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I think someone from DnT said that you need a 50-55% uptime on 90%hp to beat strength runes.

For them, maybe, for me definitely not.

So Strength gives: 175 power, 7% dmg increase

Scholars gives: 175 power, 100 ferocity, 10% dmg when 90% hp.

100 ferocity is 6.666…% crit dmg.

How much of a dmg increase this is for you would depend entirely on your crit chance.

Now, i’m running with atleast 25 in arms, full berserker with ascended trinkets (only agony infusions) and deep strike with only 2 signets that are always unused (healing signet and fury). This puts me at 91% crit chance when disc banner is out in a level 80 zone.

It’s a simple case of dividing the crit dmg by your crit chance.

This would mean that the 100 ferocity gives me 6.06…. % dmg increase (the 6 is recurring, not the 0)

I only need to spend 10% of the fight at 90%+ to be at 7.06…% dmg increase. That is really easy to do especially if you’re stacking.

This isn’t, however, taking into account the effects of might duration i cba to do the calculations as there’s alot of variables but i doubt it would result in much of a personal dps increase although would probably be a dps increase when soloing as you’re far less likely to be at 90% hp.

Its potential effects on the party as a whole when combined with Phalanx Strength intrigue me but i’m not gonna spend 80g+ to test it out.

(edited by sinzer.4018)

in Warrior

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

What

What?

I seem to have no problem generating plenty of might, and when I go with might sharing I can maintain 20-25 stacks easily. So I’m hoping that was just sarcasm about warriors, or maybe they meant “in the most professionally organized group play there is a profession better at generating might for a short period of time even if it isn’t maintained”. That sounds about accurate.

FGJ is 3 stacks, Battle Standard is another 3. That’s about 6 stacks you can share around using an utility and an elite on very long CD, that you can use maybe three times in a dungeon tops. That’s not exactly huge might stacking, unless you were referring to self-stacking which is purely a solo/pug thing.

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

well FGJ is 3 stacks for you 6 stacks for them. They get 3+3. I am talking with the trait without the trait its only 3.

Battle standard pulses so its much more than 3. I am not in game so I can’t tell you with 100% accuracy how many it is but I will tell you for 100% its more like after the pulses its at least 5 with no might duration or str runes. And with might duration as it pulses it has the potential to continue to stack might every time it pulses.

Anyone can stack might decently now just throwing that out there.
might on crit works very well I am talking the sigil not the GS trait. With a 1 sec ICD and a 60% chance I found it very reliable. And of course might On swap. I did a test where I was able to maintain 25 stacks of might using axes. And If I can do that any class can maintain over 10 stacks of might now without even trying.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

in Warrior

Purple Miku.7032

What

What?

FGJ is 3 stacks, Battle Standard is another 3. That’s about 6 stacks you can share around using an utility and an elite on very long CD, that you can use maybe three times in a dungeon tops. That’s not exactly huge might stacking, unless you were referring to self-stacking which is purely a solo/pug thing.

Who’s to say that the fire fields have to come from us anyways? We have a plethora of blast finishers, including banners that can be used by anyone with #5 in a combo field along with FGJ. As well as that, we’re able to generate a LOT of might with forceful greatsword and if absolutely necessary (no ele), Phalanx Strength. I personally wouldn’t ever care to use PS, but it’s there and it’s always an option.

in Warrior

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

What

What?

What?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forceful_Greatsword
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Strength
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/For_Great_Justice
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Battle_Standard

BS procs every 3 seconds giving me 1 stack of might, and nearby allies 1 stacks. I then give them 1 since it counts as coming from me. So every 3 seconds I passively give 2 stacks of might. If I recall correctly, please look at the above and tell me if I’m wrong. For great justice provides me with 3 stacks of might, and allies around me with 3.

Now FGJ is on a 25 second cd, and banner is on 192 second cd. So the banner I guess is long, but considering last 60 seconds, it’s actually only on a roughly 2 minute cd.

Sigil is on a 1 second cd, provides 10 seconds of might etc. Mixed with runes of strength I have no problem stacking might by myself without having to make use of anything other than standard damage.

So I just don’t understand how “since they don’t stack as much might as other classes do”.

in Warrior

Posted by: PrimetimeX.9724

PrimetimeX.9724

What

What?

What?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forceful_Greatsword
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Strength
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/For_Great_Justice
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Battle_Standard

BS procs every 3 seconds giving me 1 stack of might, and nearby allies 1 stacks. I then give them 1 since it counts as coming from me. So every 3 seconds I passively give 2 stacks of might. If I recall correctly, please look at the above and tell me if I’m wrong. For great justice provides me with 3 stacks of might, and allies around me with 3.

Now FGJ is on a 25 second cd, and banner is on 192 second cd. So the banner I guess is long, but considering last 60 seconds, it’s actually only on a roughly 2 minute cd.

Sigil is on a 1 second cd, provides 10 seconds of might etc. Mixed with runes of strength I have no problem stacking might by myself without having to make use of anything other than standard damage.

So I just don’t understand how “since they don’t stack as much might as other classes do”.

in Warrior

Posted by: PrimetimeX.9724

PrimetimeX.9724

Guanglai has clearly never played warrior, let alone ps warr lmao. PS warrior can solo 20-25 might stacks for the entire group for the duration of a dungeon or fractal using FGS without BS. Warrior stacks might better and more efficiently than EVERY other class and that is just a fact. Combo fields on engi or ele are nothing in terms of sustainability to PS. And other classes??? You think thief can stack might for the entire group? Or you do you honestly think the gaurdian’s version of phalanx strength is better than the warrior’s? Go back to your ignorant dungeon you coward.