PvE build advice: change to some defense?

in Warrior

Posted by: Xhean.3452

Xhean.3452

Hey!
First of all I would like to point out that, as the topic hints, this is thread is about me needing advice on my build for PvE content like dungeons and high level fractals.

I am currently using this build:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-u;4NKkO0Y4cK-60;9;4T;09T29A;41;057B;6qObSqObSn-kKNLV6;3wV1X6Y9ZH4Ma630C-2i;5F1-ZF18Z;9;9;9;9;0V0Y

I don’t particularly like the mace offhand so I don’t use it that much even though it happens. I like shield and warhorn much more. The rifle I switch out for GS depending on the fight (don’t wanna hear any complaints about l2p and you can melee all fights, I like rifle).

I was thinking of changing into some defensive traits but I’m not sure what to remove, the strength or discipline line :S
Anyway whatever traits I remove I’m leaning towards getting into tactics cause I like the banner or shout heal (which one do you recommend?) since I always bring one of each anyway
Sure enough the defense trait line has some alluring traits as well such as adrenal health and cleansing ire, tough choices, that’s why I need the help

The hardest part of all this is that both GM traits in strength and discipline is so awesome I’m having a hard time deciding what to lose.

I’m hoping to be able to keep my current gear setup for my new build if that’s not too crazy

Thanks in advance!

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

bumping for help

in Warrior

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Defensive traits won’t really help in dungeons I found.
You just lose a ton of damage to avoid one death every 2000.

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

Really? I’ve felt on other chars that it does alot of difference.
However say that I were to try something new, would this build do anything good in theory?
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-u;4NKkO0Y4cK-60;9;5O-TE;127;218A5;8qObSqObSn-FvVHV6;3wV1X6Y9ZH4Ma630C-2i;5F1-ZF18Z;9;9;9;9;0V0e

in Warrior

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

For survivalability in dungeons and fractals, have your GF/wife roll a guardian.

On a more serious note, get rid of knights gear and run berserker/ruby orb.

Sometimes you need a stun breaker and sometimes condition removal or more dodge, so swap signet of fury for shake it off or signet of stamina. Identify the problems and learn to live with them instead of expecting one solve-it-all build.

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

Hehe, good tips there Lampshade, especially the first
But yeah I guess that’s the way to go, though it feels rather boring that everyone plays the same way all the time

in Warrior

Posted by: CriticalHit.9540

CriticalHit.9540

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=Vt;4RKkN0e4kK-60;9;6TT9;418914A5;06oW4;2qObSqObSo-kK78X5;3wV1X6Y9ZH4M50i-Hs1ko

My current build, which I will probably end up tweaking. The hammer will get swapped to a greatsword or rifle depending on the situation. Same goes with the banner, usually just between tactics and strength.

in Warrior

Posted by: ArabianDude.5128

ArabianDude.5128

Hello,

Sorry Xhean.3452 if this considered hijacking, but I’ve a question !

I’m new to the game just bought it 2 weeks ago, my question about runes, I’m running full berserk, and not sure what runes I should use, since I’m new and on a budget I had to read what people say, some say most of the runes are bugged, so my question, what runes I should go ?

1- Scholar Runes seems nice but are they :
1- bugged
2- do you recommend getting it, if not what do you recommend ?
3- should I only get 5/6 since 90% seems a bit tricky lol

Of course just for PvE for the time being, thanks in advance,peace.

(edited by ArabianDude.5128)

in Warrior

Posted by: ArabianDude.5128

ArabianDude.5128

Nevermind my question, I decided to go for Ruby Orbs !

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

Thanks CriticalHit.9540
Do you feel that build works good for you in PvE, do you do some dmg or just feel tanky?

ArabianDude.5128:
Feel free to borrow the thread might as well ask questions here instead of creating new threads.
Ruby Orbs is a great cheap alternative. I’ve heard from several people that the 6 scholar rune is better than orbs if you keep over 90% health about 25% of the time, which isn’t that hard. They are expensive however.
Personally I went with Superior rune of Hoelbrak cause I love the might duration (we can stack some sweet might) and the lower condition duration on self.

in Warrior

Posted by: CriticalHit.9540

CriticalHit.9540

I use to have a more zerker-ish build. This new build is a bit lacking in the sense you’re not running around and doing 20k with Hundred Blades, but my survivability had shot through the roof. During the Crown Pavilion and Clockwork Chaos events I was having a blast as I was able to throw myself into the middle of the fray and not have to worry too much about going down. The only thing that really hurt were the Aetherblade Strikers with their lightning attacks, but those tend to down players by the batch.

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

okey, sounds pretty nice

in Warrior

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

Your build is fine, but i would also change knight armor to berserker. You will see great boost in dmg and survival ability is really job of guiardians.
But it is good idea to use warhorn or shield instead of mace. After all axe/mace – GS is made to maximize dmg but you will use its full potential only with 3xwar, mes, guard. So if group doesnt use this setup warhorn is great alternative. Difference in dmg is minimal but difference in support you provide is huge. And if you realy want to have more survival ability take 10 points from strenght and put them to tactic to boost your warhorn. Converting conditions in such fast rate as warhorn provide is survival boost not only for you but also for whole party + perma vigor is always appreciated :-)

in Warrior

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

After all axe/mace – GS is made to maximize dmg but you will use its full potential only with 3xwar, mes, guard.

This is incredibly false. Axe/Mace is still superior even in pugs and unorganized groups.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

Indeed Axe/mace with GS and 30/0/0/10/30 build is great dmg no matter what your party composition looks like.
I just changed my gear to berserker and went with some different (defensive) traits.

This is what I made:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-u;4NK-C-Y4gK-60;9;54JTE;408-18A5;04-J0S;1qObSqObSn-FvNLL090;1kVq0u1zY4_Aa630C-2i;5F1-ZF18Z;9;9;9;9;0V0k

I don’t know exactly how this compare but it feels very close to what I had with Axe/mace – GS 30/0/0/10/30 with KNIGHTS gear. It is however really good at keeping myself and my party alive and it is imo WAY more fun. I really love it. The power coefficent of the sword is great and I can alone stack around 20-25 stacks of might which also makes the bleeds really nice.
In some cases I switch axe for mace if I feel the defense and weakness is needed and ofc in some fights I tend to switch to the rifle to be safe.

If anyone got some comments on this build I would love to hear them but as I said, I really enjoy it and it feels great

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Comment is that the meta is the meta for a reason and once you get better at dodging you will realize defensive gear and traits are a waste and you’re only handicapping yourself and your party.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

I would say handicapping self and party is a huge exaggeration. Sure if you play with a premade team with people you know can pull their weight everyone can go full glasscannon meta builds. I pretty much only run pugs and I’d say more than half of the times the party is alive due to getting helped with condition removals and when can’t be kept alive can be ressed because at least 1 player is able to withstand some hits. Longer fights without wiping is still better than wiping.

I completely agree with your statement when in a premade pro group though.

Edit: Since this is a game and not work I’d say each player having the build that makes them have the most fun is most important, though it’s always nice to hear what other people think about your setup.

(edited by Xhean.3452)

in Warrior

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

No, it’s not an exaggeration. You’re compromising group and personal efficiency.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

Okey so it is indeed better with a DEAD berzerker meta build group than a group that’s alive with some defense. Great to get that cleared up.

in Warrior

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

But you won’t be dead since you all have dodges.

Unless… you’re bad?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

As I’ve stated before, I’m almost only playing with pugs, and alot of them are not, lets say up to par… I’ve been last man standing so many times in the past and that’s why I felt it would be fun to help your teammates stand up instead of being flat on their backs for half the fight.
Not everyone is great at dodging and it takes some practice. I’m not a master at it but I’m pretty good. Some classes have a hard time getting vigor (try necro for instance) and a warhorn buff for vigor helps alot there.

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Don’t confuse being the last man standing (due to defensive gear and traits) with being better than the rest of your party. For all you know, the party would have been successful in the encounter had you brought more DPS to the table.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

I mean when I was doing the full zerker thingy, as I am on all my other chars (except necro where I changed to conditions)

in Warrior

Posted by: DuhGeneral.8940

DuhGeneral.8940

I have a build that I made myself were I can achieve 4724 attack 2800 armor 67 crit dmg 63% crit chance with fury up which will only be down maybe 1-2 secs this is with gs out and no other help. In dungeon fights my 100b will still do 25k.
My off hand set is axe/shield where the stats change slightly only in attack and armor though 3k armor and like 4.5k attack and its auto crits for 2-2.5k with final hit doing 5-6k

Traits 30/0/25/0/15

Armor knights
Trinkets zerker
Runes 5 runes of vampirism 1 rune of hoelbrak
Skills healing signet banner of strength for great justice signet of might signet of rage
Sigils gs force
Axe blood
Shield bloodlust
Weapons are zerker weapons

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

No offense but that build is terrible.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

DuhGeneral.8940

so whats terrible about having probably the highest base attack and good armor for pve while also supporting your member’s in the group.

also the guy that made this thread was asking for a good hybrid build i believe this fits the role.

(edited by DuhGeneral.8940)

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Whats terrible is its a low dps build with trait points and gear points put into unnecessary defensive options.

but besides all that…

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

DuhGeneral.8940

interesting a low dps build that still puts out 25k 100b and gs auto attack for 2.6k with last in chain doing 3.5k and axe auto doing 2k to 2.5k depending on mob low dps hmm ya ok. and only defensive points i have are toughness and a tad of healing power you act like i have power toughness vit gear. just a reminder knight’s is power precision toughness and zerker is power precision and crit dmg oh and my traits its +300 power +250 toughness +250 healing power 15 crit dmg oh an defense gives me 5% toughness into power oh its starting to make sense if you were sensible. oh and superior sharpening stones having higher toughness gets you more out of that piece of nourishment.

Was just trying to help the OP by giving him an option of what he asked for and mr troll walks up bashing something he probably didnt even try out sad days in the world

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

Thanks for your input DuhGeneral.8940!
Sounds pretty fun imo, too bad this thread got infested by a couple of so called “elitistjerks” who can only see one side of the coin…

in Warrior

daros.3407

After all axe/mace – GS is made to maximize dmg but you will use its full potential only with 3xwar, mes, guard.

This is incredibly false. Axe/Mace is still superior even in pugs and unorganized groups.

Change mace to warhorn and what is difference? Few % of dmg becouse of one trait few stacks of vulnerabilily……And even this is lowered if you have empowered, becouse with horn you have at least one more boon on yourself then with mace. And more then sometimes 2 more boons.
Axe/mace has highest dps but you will hardly see any difference with warhorn instead of mace. Warhorns skills more then fully compensate those few % lost on dmg. Everything depends on group and encounter. There are bosses thet would be very foolish to melee them Axe/mace – GS without premade group and at least one even with. Vigor makes huge difference.
7200 hit instead of 7500 is not that great loss. If someone wants to have more survival ability it is much better do it by changing mace to warhorn instead of using knight gear. There the loss would be much bigger.
If you want to quote something quote whole post and not one sentence out of context. What i said is right. You will use FULL potetial of axe/mace-GS only with ,,premade" group.

(edited by daros.3407)

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

interesting a low dps build that still puts out 25k 100b and gs auto attack for 2.6k with last in chain doing 3.5k and axe auto doing 2k to 2.5k depending on mob low dps hmm ya ok. and only defensive points i have are toughness and a tad of healing power you act like i have power toughness vit gear. just a reminder knight’s is power precision toughness and zerker is power precision and crit dmg oh and my traits its +300 power +250 toughness +250 healing power 15 crit dmg oh an defense gives me 5% toughness into power oh its starting to make sense if you were sensible. oh and superior sharpening stones having higher toughness gets you more out of that piece of nourishment.

Was just trying to help the OP by giving him an option of what he asked for and mr troll walks up bashing something he probably didnt even try out sad days in the world

Yeah, that is what I would call low dps, thanks for asking. Also, using sharpening stones is dumb, dungeon specific potions are a far, far higher dps increase. sorry to tell you that your precious snowflake build is terrible.

This is dps…

Death and Taxes [DnT]

(edited by Nike Porphyrogenita.8137)

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Sounds pretty fun imo, too bad this thread got infested by a couple of so called “elitistjerks” who can only see one side of the coin…

There is only one side of the coin in pve. WvW or pvp there are a wider variety of options, but this is a pve thread. In pve there is dps and there is nothing else. And name calling won’t get you anywhere; you should be ashamed of yourself.

Advice was asked for on an open forum. People who know what they are talking about gave the advice needed. You didnt like what they said because it was opposite of your preconceived notions. Which reveals you didn’t actually want constructive advice, what you really wanted was a reaction like “wow that build is really cool thanks for sharing!” feel good back patting session. Your mistake.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Change mace to warhorn and what is difference? Few % of dmg becouse of one trait few stacks of vulnerabilily……And even this is lowered if you have empowered, becouse with horn you have at least one more boon on yourself then with mace. And more then sometimes 2 more boons.
Axe/mace has highest dps but you will hardly see any difference with warhorn instead of mace. Warhorns skills more then fully compensate those few % lost on dmg. Everything depends on group and encounter. There are bosses thet would be very foolish to melee them Axe/mace – GS without premade group and at least one even with. Vigor makes huge difference.
7200 hit instead of 7500 is not that great loss. If someone wants to have more survival ability it is much better do it by changing mace to warhorn instead of using knight gear. There the loss would be much bigger.
If you want to quote something quote whole post and not one sentence out of context. What i said is right. You will use FULL potetial of axe/mace-GS only with ,,premade" group.

I use Warhorn quite a bit. However, I don’t claim that it’s superior DPS to axe/mace. Axe/Mace is superior dps in all situations. I actually used warhorn on the last speed run guide I did, because the party swiftness in between fights was more useful than the extra dps during the brief boss fights. You say “full potential” but I don’t know what that means, 4 stacks of vulnerability and an on demand aoe CC is good regardless of party composition.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

There is only one side of the coin in pve. WvW or pvp there are a wider variety of options, but this is a pve thread. In pve there is dps and there is nothing else. And name calling won’t get you anywhere; you should be ashamed of yourself.

Advice was asked for on an open forum. People who know what they are talking about gave the advice needed. You didnt like what they said because it was opposite of your preconceived notions. Which reveals you didn’t actually want constructive advice, what you really wanted was a reaction like “wow that build is really cool thanks for sharing!” feel good back patting session. Your mistake.

First of all it’s not namecalling, it’s a term used to describe people who look down on those who aren’t masters of everything, as you seem to do.
The advice given was not the opposite of preconceived notions, I know the playstyle you recommend is the highest dps and I’ve said I want to have the most fun when I play (this is not my work). There is definitely not only one side of the coin in PvE unless ofc you take this waaaay to serious and take out the fun from the game. I’d rather have 4 people with me struggling than 4 meta build “pros” who wants to push the limits to do the fastest runs. I rather kill stuff than skip and so on.
And yes I want constructive advice, and L2P is not constructive advice. Doing tweaks and give suggestions in a nice way to the question asked would be constructive. “Play like this or you’re a noob” is however not.

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

I’m sorry your idea of “taking the fun out of the game” equals playing optimal builds and doing things the correct way. Playing an intentionally bad build and doing things intentionally wrong, that is supposed to be fun?

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

daros.3407

I use Warhorn quite a bit. However, I don’t claim that it’s superior DPS to axe/mace. Axe/Mace is superior dps in all situations. I actually used warhorn on the last speed run guide I did, because the party swiftness in between fights was more useful than the extra dps during the brief boss fights. You say “full potential” but I don’t know what that means, 4 stacks of vulnerability and an on demand aoe CC is good regardless of party composition.

With full potetial i mean as much dps as its possible. Truths is that you can do highest dps only with Axe/mace + GS. But you can do it only with 3x war, mess, guard.
Still you are right Axe/mace has highest dps even in pug but difference between Axe/mace and axe/warhorn or shield is much lower then it would be in premade group.
So this is why i said ,,After all axe/mace – GS is made to maximize dmg but you will use its full potential only with 3xwar, mes, guard."
And OP said he runs usually in pug so i wanted to give him advice to use warhorn instead of knight gear for more survival ability. I think we both agree it is much better.

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

But you can do it only with 3x war, mess, guard.

So this is why i said ,,After all axe/mace – GS is made to maximize dmg but you will use its full potential only with 3xwar, mes, guard."

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

Fact: you do your best potential in ANY group that has 25 might stacks and 25 vuln stacks and all the banners covered. 3 war and a mesmer is only one way to do it. As you can see, there are plenty of viable party comps out there.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

Fact: you do your best potential in ANY group that has 25 might stacks and 25 vuln stacks and all the banners covered. 3 war and a mesmer is only one way to do it. As you can see, there are plenty of viable party comps out there.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

daros.3407

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

3 war 1m 1g?

Ok but this is about archieve it with random pug. And it is rare. And dont tell me it is not. Becouse it is :-)

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Every group I run in achieves 25 Might for every fight, so no, it isn’t especially rare.

I never understood the concept of caring about whats optimal in a pug. That’s like arguing whats the best type of offense for pee wee football when the goal is to make it to the NFL.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

daros.3407

Every group I run in achieves 25 Might for every fight, so no, it isn’t especially rare.

I never understood the concept of caring about whats optimal in a pug. That’s like arguing whats the best type of offense for pee wee football when the goal is to make it to the NFL.

Is it just me or do you see your previous post 5 times here? :-)

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Yeah, the forum quintuple posted and now won’t let me delete the extra.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Warrior

Xhean.3452

Doesn’t this kind of destroy our entire arguement? This whole thread is when playing in pug and you’re saying I have to play with that optimal build but you don’t care about being optimal in a pug…
Anyways to answer your question about fun. Say if I would hate the greatsword skills and love the 1h sword skills playing GS would take alot of the fun out of it.

in Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Doesn’t this kind of destroy our entire arguement? This whole thread is when playing in pug and you’re saying I have to play with that optimal build but you don’t care about being optimal in a pug…
Anyways to answer your question about fun. Say if I would hate the greatsword skills and love the 1h sword skills playing GS would take alot of the fun out of it.

Fact is, what is optimal in an organized group is still optimal in a pug. It’s not like 4 stacks of vulnerability do less in a pug than a normal group. The entire concept of ‘taking more tankiness and healing because pugs’ is a self-fulfilling prophecy: if everyone presumes bad dps and bad play and make bad build choices as a result, you’re gonna do badly.

Death and Taxes [DnT]