Pvp Greatsword + Axe/shield

in Warrior

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

Hello,

I’ve been sorting out much on the warrior last days and as doing hambow I wanted something more challenging, something more out of the box.

I know in the past there have been some quite nice axe/shield + gs builds.

Now well, I’m looking for those.

1.Is it viable to run with a Gs + Axe/Shield?
2. Are there any warrior masterminds running around with some sort of build with at least the greatsword?

in Warrior

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

Or at least something with axe/shield…

At least I’m trying to find some variants on the hambow build or condi builds

in Warrior

Posted by: Tyragon.2496

Tyragon.2496

I can only answer that I have actually met a warrior with axe/shield + gs that was devastating to go up against when on my ranger. I guess mostly because you barely see many warriors use GS in sPvP and when you do they always try to rely on Hundred Blades.

What made the combo devastating to me was the scary mobility, always staying up in my face continuously and never backing off. Then beating with axe for that great amount of damage. Whenever I got out of distance, he took GS out and was literally 1 inch from my character again..

Anyway I can’t speak of any build, all I remember was he used Bull’s Charge with it. There’s lots of viable axe/shield though. I once faced one that used that combo with hammer. It was hard to counter without stability, because you either dodged the knockdown/back, shield’s stun or the worse, axe’s F1 which hits for a truck. Problem is, all of the combos before that was used as a build-up for it, so whenever those were dodged, you ended up without endurance to dodge the axe burst.

in Warrior

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Never tried this build in SPVP. But it works in WvW. It takes a fair bit of finesse to make it work though its not easy.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in Warrior

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

GS + axe/shield is still very much viable in duels, but very crappy in team fights.

in Warrior

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

I can only answer that I have actually met a warrior with axe/shield + gs that was devastating to go up against when on my ranger. I guess mostly because you barely see many warriors use GS in sPvP and when you do they always try to rely on Hundred Blades.

What made the combo devastating to me was the scary mobility, always staying up in my face continuously and never backing off. Then beating with axe for that great amount of damage. Whenever I got out of distance, he took GS out and was literally 1 inch from my character again..

if GS/Axe getting 1 inch from you, then i wonder what would you say if you met a GS/Sword user xD.

in Warrior

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

I just can’t decide if i stick with GS/Axe-Shield or GS/LB, axe is really beautiful with all the pressure, but LB shines when u gotta get the aoe to deal with Eng’s Turrets, Clones or Thieves Guild.

in Warrior

Jae.5138

I just can’t decide if i stick with GS/Axe-Shield or GS/LB, axe is really beautiful with all the pressure, but LB shines when u gotta get the aoe to deal with Eng’s Turrets, Clones or Thieves Guild.

LB/GS is pretty good in duels still. I personally know many duellers and have used that combo for duels and did very well against even the trickier foes like thief/mesmers.

it’d be better than GS/axe for sure in team fights but again, GS/LB is still weak in comparison to hambow in team fights. sad, because i do love GS as a weapon, but it’s the truth.

in Warrior

pupi.2465

what about Axe-SH /LB ? Would that be viable for duels?

in Warrior

Jae.5138

i don’t see why not. you might struggle a little more against mesmer/petting zoo necro, since you don’t have that crazy aoe from sword but what’s nice is the shield and the safer F1 for cleansing ire

in Warrior

pupi.2465

just tested, yet, GS/LB fits better to my playstyle, the lack of mobility is too gamebreaker to me, whirlwind evade is kinda strategic, helps a lot, and LB aoe save my kitten 50% of the time. Really sad… lol

in Warrior

Jae.5138

just tested, yet, GS/LB fits better to my playstyle, the lack of mobility is too gamebreaker to me, whirlwind evade is kinda strategic, helps a lot, and LB aoe save my kitten 50% of the time. Really sad… lol

u can go bull charge + Berserker stance + balanced stance. bull charge along with GS’s other skills synergize with mobile strikes if you go into discipline traitline. you can do bull charge + 100 b or longbow 5 + 100 b

in Warrior

Posted by: Pawnchee.3059

Pawnchee.3059

In my opinion Axe-SH/LB wrecks. I have so much fun with it. Constant might with Axe F1 leap and fire field. Plus Bow 5,3, swap shield bash F1 is near death for most classes. PLUS shield 5.. always niice. Just my 2cents.

in Warrior

Posted by: Phoenix.5047

Phoenix.5047

I can only answer that I have actually met a warrior with axe/shield + gs that was devastating to go up against when on my ranger.

I have to wonder if that was my warrior you were talking about. I did put together a build since i never really liked the condi meta, that sounds a lot like it.

Build

That’s it, more or less, the sigils and runes are variable, the heal as well. The big weakness I found to it was heavy conditions, since it doesn’t come with much health. Evade heavy classes will give you a headache as well, and the sustain is minimal, even with adrenaline surge. It has very high mobility though, giving you some room to high-tail it before things get hairy. And of course Cavalier’s amulet to make full use of Burst Precision. Hope it helps.

in Warrior

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

^^^

rune of the warrior fixed ?

in Warrior

Posted by: SonofNoob.3102

SonofNoob.3102

^^^

rune of the warrior fixed ?

It comes to a 4second weapon swap with Fast Hands.

in Warrior

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

All I run now is Axe/GS these days. My version of the build is still highly experimental so I’m messing around with it a lot.

I call it, The Bunker Buster

You’ll notice some really strange decisions right off the bat. Most noticeable is the lack of Balanced Stance and the use of Frenzy, Last Stand, and Defiant Stance. The whole build is centered around doing one big burst every minute or so. The combo is just like at launch but slightly different: Start off in Berserker Stance → Bull’s Charge → 100b → then depending on the situation you either Whirlwind attack or or swap to Axe/Shield AS THEY ARE STANDING UP → and use Eviscerate. It’s supposed to be used on a target with is either light on stun breaks or ideally on a target that isn’t focused on you. If I’m going mid I always take the long way and show up to the party a bit late, then pick my victim and annihilate them in a few short seconds. Some don’t survive past 100b and you can swap targets and use the 100% crit chance Evis on someone coming to revive them. The use of Defiant Stance is going to all depend on the situation. Sometimes I just use it just as I do the burst because you’ll be immune to conditions, Last Stand will hopefully cover CC, and you’ll be healing for more because of Frenzy. There’s also plenty of damaging dodge rolls to be had with all the Vigor and Sigil of Energy.

Now for the glaring weaknesses. No CI, no Balanced Stance. After your burst is done you should probably high-tail it out of there unless the battle was won. Go support someone else or rush to an open node. Your speed is your sustain. Sigil of Generosity is nice for some light condi mitigation when Zerker Stance is down, but never, EVER fight a condi user without your combo being ready. Don’t open up with it, see if you can bait out dodges and maybe a stun breaker/Stability with Shield Bash. Another potential weakness, lags effect on Bull’s Charge. Sometimes the skill will totally miss or send you flying past while still knocking them down. That’s typically when you Whirlwind Attack back and go for the Evis then bug out. When it works though, it’s totally devastating. I have poor internet so it affects me more than most. You also have only 8 second of Stability every 90 seconds. I couldn’t find any better way to deal with this. if you want to spike you NEED Frenzy and you NEED Zerker Stance and you NEED Bull’s Charge. Remove any of those and the spike doesn’t work in many situations. With good teamwork though, your Guardian can give you some when you go in and problem solved. Defiant Stance really needs to be an instant cast though, it’s so reliant on timing and that 1/4th second can totally screw you over, but it can also make you unkillable while in the middle of a hectic fight over mid because the second they see you healing they stop attacking but almost always too late.

Basically, you go in, kill one or more targets, then move on and make yourself useful somewhere else. I’ve actually won 2v1s because if you quickly down one target then cleave with 100b while their teammate tries to revive you can actually outdamage the revive long enough to down them as well.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)