Question about learning Warr for 1v1s

in Warrior

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

Hey ppl,

I’ve been considering learning my Warrior(s) really well for 1v1s in OS and general roaming but I’ve been thinking and was wondering if you could give me some insight.

As Warrior has such a low skill ceiling (relatively in comparison to Engineer/Elementalist etc.), does the class often get out-classed by Engineers/Elementalists?

I personally can’t imagine how a class with so few skills etc. can out-play a good Engineer or Elementalist due to how many skills and how much versatility they have, and this has really put me off wanting to learn Warrior.

Another question is, are there any pre-notes available to explain what the upcoming Warrior changes are going to be? I know Wolfineer is aware of the Engineer changes so I was wondering if something similar was available for Warrs.

Thanks.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Warrior

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

Warrior doesn’t have low skill ceiling. It has low skill floor. #skill != better or harder to play.

You are playing this game like a turn based RPG, where you see 1 skill and try to counter with another skill. Playing warrior is much more like a fighting or an action game where timing, positioning, baiting, chaining are more important.

while I believe warrior is not OPed, it is definitely not weak against any profession including ele and engineer.

in Warrior

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

Agreed with bigmonto.

Here’s a couple things too:

Warrior has some of the largest telegraphs, which leaves it open to a lot of counterplay from skilled players. The short story is that it’s typically strong against low skilled opponents, weaker against high skilled. That said, there’s things you can still do to play at a high level with it:

-Cancel casting: Not going to land an ability (hammer #5, for example)? Cancel it, save yourself the cooldown. Some warrior combos can only be executed with cancel casts as well.
-Count dodges: Applies to every class, but especially important for warrior with the big tels. Against a good opponent you should try to bait/wait for them to use their dodges, then use your big hits.
-Timing: A funny phenomena is that many warrior abilties sync well to the duration of dodge rolls. The absolute best time to land an eviscerate is immediately after seeing your opponent dodge.
-Use your utilities as tools to accomplish a goal, not spam. With a few exceptions I think you should rarely ever open with berserker stance, for example. It should be saved to anticipate a condi spike, or to guarantee landing a combo of abilities when needed (without getting blinded, kited, or feared).
-Anticipation hits: This is rare to see, but it’s the mark of an excellent player imo. I’ve seen Tarcis precast earthshaker in anticipation of a thief teleporting to him, landing the ability as soon as the thief arrives. Earthshaker and skullcrack are excellent abilities to precast because they can open the door to initiate a combo or juggle, but also have a low penalty for missing.

The theme here is that while warrior is open to a lot of counterplay, there’s steps you can take to ensure that your hits land when you need them too.

(edited by Brigg.6189)

in Warrior

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

beserker stance prevents being feared? thats weird, i thought i got feared by necros even with berserker stance.

thats good to know, i used to bust out stability too

(edited by Zackie.8923)

in Warrior

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

fear is both a condition and control effect so:
- having either stability or condition immune will prevent fear from being applied.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

so far from my experience i rarely encounter 1 on 1. Even if i roam solo. I mostly encounter Zerg, or a small group. i think team play is the focus in gw2 hehe.

But about 1 on 1. You should wait for the right moment. throw skills that are sure to hit. and anticipate the opponent. be a step ahead.

i guess it all turns down to practice. hehe

Would it be cool to live forever?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

Agreed with bigmonto.

Here’s a couple things too:

…..

This is good advice, I also agree with Bigmonto.

Additionally, in my opinion a good d/d ele is the hardest match-up in a 1v1 duel. Followed closely by a condition engie with APT.

Warrior has less options, thus you have to make sure to land your best hits. This is what makes warrior very hard to play successfully in high level duels.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Additionally, in my opinion a good d/d ele is the hardest match-up in a 1v1 duel. Followed closely by a condition engie with APT.

Warrior has less options, thus you have to make sure to land your best hits. This is what makes warrior very hard to play successfully in high level duels.

Anything that kites is a PIA for a warrior. Skilled mesmers, P/D and evasion thieves, D/D eles (that are very good), etc are all a tough fight when facing off against equally skilled or better players. They know all the warrior moves and have every advantage… most of the time you will swinging at air while slowly getting whittled down.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”