Question on Toughness, Vitality, Power, and Diminishing Returns?

in Warrior

Posted by: LeoDeSol.7604

LeoDeSol.7604

Currently working on crafting myself Knights and Emerald Exotic gear, Power, Toughness, and Precision.

Is there ever a point, at level 80, where any of the stats become subject to diminishing returns and it would be better to switch, from say Toughness to Vitality if you want to tank, or say Power to Crit if you want to do more DPS?

I don’t yet have the gear to test anything like this, but it seems like it would make sense that there would eventually be diminishing returns on a lot of stats based on how the game has tried to balance the gear, i.e. all level 80 Heavy Exotic gear has same base armor stat, all Exotic DPS 1 hand have same base DMG stat, etc. I would think they would balance fights based on the available Item sets and stats to classes.

in Warrior

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

From Beta, I remember people saying that you could hit a Diminishing Returns soft cap once you’re in 80th Exotics, but I honestly can’t remember where that +Stat break point was.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

in Warrior

Posted by: PuffballPink.6035

PuffballPink.6035

Going full Vitality or full Toughness should not get you the highest HP. If it does, then that’s a possible indicator of a poorly designed game. Same with Power/Precision/CritDmg.

btw, call it something other than “diminishing returns”. That has a real definition in statistics, and it’s not what you’re referring to.

in Warrior

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

btw, call it something other than “diminishing returns”. That has a real definition in statistics, and it’s not what you’re referring to.

While I may agree with you, the MMO industry calls it “diminishing returns”. They’ve used this term for years. This will be the term that ArenaNet will eventually use, so there’s no need to make up a new name that will just confuse people.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

in Warrior

Posted by: Mister Kitty.6718

Mister Kitty.6718

No, the MMO industry calls diminishing returns “diminishing returns”. Guild Wars 2 does not have diminishing returns, everything scales the same way regardless of how much or little you have. Doubling your Power stat doubles your damage. Doubling your armor value halves your damage taken. Everything scales perfectly with no diminishing values, but naturally there’s going to be a point at which adding more vitality will be more beneficial than Toughness. This is not caused by diminishing returns, which is a practical application by the MMO industry in actively reducing the effectiveness of stat stacking, but a matter of efficient stat selection. Warriors, possessing natural high health, benefit well from Toughness, but their heavy armor makes Vitality and Healing valuable too. Necromancers, possessing light armor and naturally high health, have the greatest efficiency from Toughness of any class.

The only mechanic that limits stat stacking in any way is the 2500 cap on stats. You cannot go beyond 2500 on any major stat.

Mister Kitty – Full Exotic 80 Warrior, Axe/Warhorn – Charrzooka
Completer of the World, Wielder of the Charrzooka Rifle, Master of Weapon and Armorsmithing
… also makes a mean truffle stew.

in Warrior

Posted by: vlaka.2198

vlaka.2198

so 2500 is the cap on armour?

in Warrior

Posted by: fony.5102

fony.5102

so 2500 is the cap on armour?

toughness is the stat.

(edited by fony.5102)