[Ready Up] Upcoming Warrior Balance Changes

in Warrior

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

Getting blinded just as you cast the burst is called good counterplay. Bugs are bugs and should be fixed (that said, I’ve never had my burst skill go on cooldown without actually going off. Your statement is the first I’ve ever heard of it).

You have another one, it happens to me all the time, with Combustive shot happening the most.

it happens with combustive shot because the initial projectile that lays down the fire field is a projectile, and can be destroyed/reflected/blocked. you just have to aim it at the ground instead of a player.

in Warrior

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Getting blinded just as you cast the burst is called good counterplay. Bugs are bugs and should be fixed (that said, I’ve never had my burst skill go on cooldown without actually going off. Your statement is the first I’ve ever heard of it).

You have another one, it happens to me all the time, with Combustive shot happening the most.

it happens with combustive shot because the initial projectile that lays down the fire field is a projectile, and can be destroyed/reflected/blocked. you just have to aim it at the ground instead of a player.

Oh really?! I didn’t know that!

JK JK. It happens a lot, while aiming at the ground with no player involved. It also happens with some other burst skills not ground targeted and with no destroyable/deflectable/blockable proyectile.

There are lots of bugs still, Impale and Pin Down getting affected by that kittened pathing proyectiles have that show obstructed randomly.

All these bugs are often times gamebreaking, if no adrenaline after that, it just got worse.

Also, I wont be able to spam sword 5 and kill ambient creatures while also weapon swaping to fill my adrenaline before combat anymore, that sucks. I wont be able to stack some might with Combustive shot stage 3 before combat either. All those fun little intrincacies are gone.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

Warriors have plenty of skills, including hard and soft CC, to make sure the burst lands and there are plenty of Warriors in the forum that welcome the change as they were already using their skills to ensure burst. If there is plenty of Warriors up to challenge, why shouldn’t you be a part of their community instead of asking for a free pass? If other Warriors have no problem at landing bursts, why should you?

Strawman argument. Does not address my point (quoted directly below this) that many burst skills are NOT finishers but SETUPS.
Oh it also pulls a classic “if you were good you’d welcome this change, but you dont so you must not be.”

Also, might I point out that while Evis is a finisher style burst skill, Earthshaker and Skullcrack are SETUP moves, NOT finishers, despite being burst skills. Overall low damage, but a powerful control effect.

So, why do I need to setup to use my setup moves?!? Do I now need to immob someone, just so I can skullcrack? Why would I even bother, I’ll just cut out the middleman and go straight to my final goal once they’re immob’d!

You, my friend, are very lucky to have never encountered this. It happens quite often to me. After a night of playing, I’ll have typically experienced it 3-4 times.

happens to me all the time, with Combustive shot happening the most.

^ This. Comb shot is the most notorious, but I still experience it all the time with Skullcrack, Earthshaker, and Flurry.

in Warrior

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Rampage seems still more than useless. The real issue with this elite is that any sword rougue can steal your 30sec buffs, and any necro can convert your stability into a 30sec unbreakable fear (none of active/passive skills works under rampage) .
Anet tries and fails to fix a skill they do not understand how risky is to use in pvp.No real use of defensive skill in pve as well

Winner winner, but you are also forgetting Mesmer Moa Morph

Fix
Until ANet makes Rampage have refreshing Stability boon (and refreshing Swiftness for that matter) with immunity to Blind condition and add something like refreshing Fury/Might boons as well while under Rampage it’ll never be seen as an alternative use over SoR or Battle Standard (outside of a rare Fiery Great Sword/Ele combo in PvE and I’m sure bundle use in Rampage will get removed.)

Real Issue with Rampage
Rampage is just another melee damage set with only minor improved DPS and really only one gap closer (that is buggy and was nerfed in leap range). It has a really really slow single target stun with only 900 range (if ANet reduced the cast time to next to nil (not the projectile speed, you might have something) but it is still easily dodged/blocked/etc. (you see that big rock coming from miles away). Seismic Leap is the only good ability in Rampage and it can be used less than the average Hammer Earthshaker (derp) – not good since you can’t use F1 abilities in Rampage.

Rampage is broken badly
Rampage does not have spammable CC (aka Tornado or Plague) transformation and Rampage isn’t ranged like Lich or Guardian transformation Elites. It’s a garbage Elite because it doesn’t do either of these roles. There is no ‘game changer’ DPS / stall time like these other Elites perform in a team environment.

Secondary Improvements
Rampage needs team use (AoE boons/AoE Fire combo fields/anything). Also, swap Kick (ability 2) to an unblockable pull already (aka Engineers Magnet).

(edited by Artaz.3819)

in Warrior

Dand.8231

Ahem, pardon my doublepost.

But if burst skills were less buggy, and more responsive, I dont think this adrenaline change would be a big deal. In their current state, however, it has the potential to cripple them MORE than it would it they were functioning better.

Getting blinded just as you cast the burst is called good counterplay.

Getting blinded AFTER I start casting a burst skill, DURING its incredibly slow execution, with no way to abort the burst skill, or remove blind, is NOT good counterplay, because there is no viable counter-counter-play.

Good examples of counterplay
“If warrior does A, you do B, Warrior counters with C, you counter with D, etc” till someone fails to react properly and is punished for doing so

Bad examples of counterplay
“If warrior does A, you do B. Warrior has no C. You win”

in Warrior

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Ahem, pardon my doublepost.

But if burst skills were less buggy, and more responsive, I dont think this adrenaline change would be a big deal. In their current state, however, it has the potential to cripple them MORE than it would it they were functioning better.

Getting blinded just as you cast the burst is called good counterplay.

Getting blinded AFTER I start casting a burst skill, DURING its incredibly slow execution, with no way to abort the burst skill, or remove blind, is NOT good counterplay, because there is no viable counter-counter-play.

Good examples of counterplay
“If warrior does A, you do B, Warrior counters with C, you counter with D, etc” till someone fails to react properly and is punished for doing so

Bad examples of counterplay
“If warrior does A, you do B. Warrior has no C. You win”

So the alternative is that you get blinded, so you don’t even bother to activate the burst skill until it’s cleared? Talk about removing counterplay.

Counterplay is not supposed to be infinite in iterations. There is nothing wrong with “big windup, better blind him” any more than there is with “big windup, better dodge it”.

Besides, you can cancel burst skills with escape, sheathing weapons, or activating your heal skill. Even if you don’t cancel, “Fear Me” and “On My Mark” can both clear a blind mid-burst skill and let you land it anyway. “On My Mark” can even clear an Aegis. You have the options, it’s not my fault you don’t like them.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: Diba.4682

Diba.4682

I am not so worried about 100B being nerfed as much as 100B being useless (especially in pvp). I honestly think the skill needs to change much more than just a 5% dps nerf.

Concerning the changes with the burst skills adren. I think it is a good change. If it somehow gives the warrior a disadvantage, I think that just means other areas of the warrior should be changed and not this feature. Mainly because it will make a few traits more viable and require more skill to play a warrior. A concern is it may start to form cookie-cutter builds which will not be fun, but we will see if that is true.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

So the alternative is that you get blinded, so you don’t even bother to activate the burst skill until it’s cleared? Talk about removing counterplay.

Counterplay is not supposed to be infinite in iterations. There is nothing wrong with “big windup, better blind him” any more than there is with “big windup, better dodge it”.

Besides, you can cancel burst skills with escape, sheathing weapons, or activating your heal skill. Even if you don’t cancel, “Fear Me” and “On My Mark” can both clear a blind mid-burst skill and let you land it anyway. “On My Mark” can even clear an Aegis. You have the options, it’s not my fault you don’t like them.

So, let me get this straight:
You think blind skills that have no cast time, are highly accessible, and easily spammable, should be the counter to a classes core mechanic that requires building up 30 strikes, and then has a slow windup and obvious telegraph?

When you say counter-play, I think you’re forgetting the part where said counter-play needs to require an equal amount of effort, resource cost, and skill otherwise it creates imbalance.

And then you think it’s acceptable to be forced to blow long 60 CDs such as “Fear Me!” just to potentially counter say, Black powder which has no cooldown (6 init, 4s duration)? And I say potentially because it can easily reapply the blind during the animation.

MANY times have thieves dropped a blackpowder during an earthshaker animation. OMM and fear me would NOT help in those situations, the blind would still instantly reapply.

With this change, no warrior will ever be able to burst skill a black powder thief, the cost to use Blackpowder is so low, and the cost for a burst so high, it becomes an EXTREMELY imbalanced Risk:Reward to even bother to use burst.

What im saying is, this will ENCOURAGE people to use the passive adrenaline traits, and push us closer to passive play, not active play.

Also, you STILL did not reply to these points:
*What about the times that the burst skill bugs out? Should we lose our adrenaline then?
*Earthshaker often has issues hitting people who are on a SLIGHTLY different Y-axis, say up a ramp, or (and I kid you not) happen to be jumping. Should we lose all our adrenaline because of sloppy coding?

Finally, NO, you cannot cancel all burst skills just by hitting sheath. Some can be cancelled, others cant cancel, and with the way ANet codes things… there’s a good chance that cancelling will cost us all our adrenaline after this change goes through anyway!

My point is this: the goal of this change is to make burst skills something that are used more carefully, and not spammed. With that goal in mind, maybe, just maybe, there should be a reward for using them properly, not punishment via adrenaline drain for having the misfortune to suffer from slow windups, obvious telegraphs, buggy hit detection, and 0 skill blind spam, which can easily result in a miss.

Your point seems to be simply “l2p!”

in Warrior

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

I am not so worried about 100B being nerfed as much as 100B being useless (especially in pvp). I honestly think the skill needs to change much more than just a 5% dps nerf.

Concerning the changes with the burst skills adren. I think it is a good change. If it somehow gives the warrior a disadvantage, I think that just means other areas of the warrior should be changed and not this feature. Mainly because it will make a few traits more viable and require more skill to play a warrior. A concern is it may start to form cookie-cutter builds which will not be fun, but we will see if that is true.

If ANet makes the damage worthless, they can replace it with something more mobile and Warriors will forget what 100B was in its glory day.

Honestly though, you are right that GS Autoattack spam will be within a few %s in DPS of 100B now (because of 8s base vuln stacking on GS 1).

in Warrior

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

You think blind skills that have no cast time, are highly accessible, and easily spammable, should be the counter to a classes core mechanic that requires building up 30 strikes, and then has a slow windup and obvious telegraph?

When you say counter-play, I think you’re forgetting the part where said counter-play needs to require an equal amount of effort, resource cost, and skill otherwise it creates imbalance.

And then you think it’s acceptable to be forced to blow long 60 CDs such as “Fear Me!” just to potentially counter say, Black powder which has no cooldown (6 init, 4s duration)? And I say potentially because it can easily reapply the blind during the animation.

MANY times have thieves dropped a blackpowder during an earthshaker animation. OMM and fear me would NOT help in those situations, the blind would still instantly reapply.

With this change, no warrior will ever be able to burst skill a black powder thief, the cost to use Blackpowder is so low, and the cost for a burst so high, it becomes an EXTREMELY imbalanced Risk:Reward to even bother to use burst.

What im saying is, this will ENCOURAGE people to use the passive adrenaline traits, and push us closer to passive play, not active play.

*What about the times that the burst skill bugs out? Should we lose our adrenaline then?
*Earthshaker often has issues hitting people who are on a SLIGHTLY different Y-axis, say up a ramp, or (and I kid you not) happen to be jumping. Should we lose all our adrenaline because of sloppy coding?

Finally, NO, you cannot cancel all burst skills just by hitting sheath. Some can be cancelled, others cant cancel, and with the way ANet codes things… there’s a good chance that cancelling will cost us all our adrenaline after this change goes through anyway!

My point is this: the goal of this change is to make burst skills something that are used more carefully, and not spammed. With that goal in mind, maybe, just maybe, there should be a reward for using them properly, not punishment via adrenaline drain for having the misfortune to suffer from slow windups, obvious telegraphs, buggy hit detection, and 0 skill blind spam, which can easily result in a miss.

Why are you using a burst skill into black powder? If you would do us all a favour, type /age in game and then tell us what it says.

in Warrior

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Considering there are two “spammable” blind skills in the entire game, both of which have cast times (one is getting nerfed), I would say you’re talking out of your kitty here. The counter to massive attacks is some form of avoidance, regardless of if that skill is on a long cooldown (think Rangers like getting Entangle blinded?) or uses a resource. Burst skills can be up easily at max power every 10 seconds in some builds, and they are all extremely powerful skills. The counterplay goes both ways. Deal with it.

Skull Crack has a 1/2 second cast time. Average human reaction time is .215 seconds, meaning to react properly, they have to identify that you’re using it almost immedietly as they have .285 seconds to identify and cast their counter skill. Black Powder has a 1/2 second cast time as well, meaning to succsessfully blind you to make skull crack miss, they have to start their cast before you start yours.

Earthshaker, Eviscerate, and Arcing Slice are all 3/4 second cast times, meaning Black Powder has a .035 second window of casting on average (.215 seconds to react to your cast, .5 seconds to cast their counter) to stop it. Even if they knew ahead of time when you would cast exactly, they have a .25 second leeway.

Notice that Black Powder is also getting nerfed this coming patch? It’s like they forsaw a problem here… And yes, if you really need that burst skill to land, popping “Fear Me” is quite acceptable. Alternatively, since you’re terrified of thieves, you could keep track of his initiative spending skills and have a rough idea of when he has used too much to use black powder.

Except that black powder is getting nerfed and, as I have already pointed out, countering a burst skill with black powder is actually very difficult unless they predicted your burst and activated it before you started your own skill.

It will push some people toward passive play. The better ones will become more careful with their burst skills.

What about the times that the burst skill bugs out? Should we lose our adrenaline then?Earthshaker often has issues hitting people who are on a SLIGHTLY different Y-axis, say up a ramp, or (and I kid you not) happen to be jumping. Should we lose all our adrenaline because of sloppy coding?

I did reply. It should be a moot point because it should never happen in the first place.

Heal skill always interrupts whatever you were doing except for leaps (it registers you as being in the air) and you can cancel out of that. For Eviscerate and Earthshaker, guess you have to be more careful when hitting some of the most powerful skills in the game.

The reward is a landed skill that happens to have one of the strongest effects in the game. You don’t need more of a reward than that.

I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

The changes to adrenaline won’t bother me much. I was never one to just spam my bursts skills and always take the time to set them up. Having burst mastery makes it really easy to get full adrenaline back. However, I am curious to know what they intend to do to combustive shot cause it is basically the only condi removal I have on a lot of my builds.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

Gonna miss my Rampager Rifle build (using distracting strike), but its definitly going to help it when it comes to Dps with a Berserker build.

in Warrior

Posted by: Doctoris.2675

Doctoris.2675

• Rousing Resilience – Gives you 8 seconds of 1000 bonus toughness upon breaking a stun, an increase from the previous 4 seconds.
    • A reminder that using balanced stance will activate this trait, regardless of whether you broke a stun or not.

I’ve been thinking about possibly picking this up in a warrior build. It pretty much completely makes up for building glassy or lets you go super-tank, particularly if you take Balanced Stance, Last Stand, and some other stunbreaker. It would allow insane uptime of the +1000 toughness effect, which is the equivalent of a 25-30% damage reduction that can’t be removed like protection can be.

in Warrior

Posted by: dan.3618

dan.3618

Problem with rampage is not CC, its just the elite itself and its ability’s are not very good.

Remember when you use it you lose your second bar so whatever you are getting needs to be better than 2x weapon bars as well as your secondary bar and its not.

I do less dps in rampage than I can do with standard weapons, and I dont provide any utility to team mates.

Reduce the cooldown to about 130secs and rework the ability’s, remove kick and bolder but improve dash so it knocks foes down in its path and reduce cd on Seismic Leap to about 10secs. Could also have an aura that generates 1 might per second to team mates within 360 yards

(edited by dan.3618)

in Warrior

Posted by: Krittz.6013

Krittz.6013

I did not read through everything, but does the AOE F1 skill still remove all conditions using LB with the Cleanse Ire trait still even with these changes?

in Warrior

Posted by: Thaelias.7432

Thaelias.7432

“Earthshaker, Eviscerate, and Arcing Slice are all 3/4 second cast times, meaning Black Powder has a .035 second window of casting on average (.215 seconds to react to your cast, .5 seconds to cast their counter) to stop it. Even if they knew ahead of time when you would cast exactly, they have a .25 second leeway.”

There’s travel time on earthshaker and eviscerate which unless they are humping you are non-negligible. Most blinds/blocks are cast defensively without careful regard to the opponent. That is, bunker guards are going to bunker. Thieves are going to blind. These are how they avoid damage period regardless of if it’s burst. You exaggerate how unlikely it is to dodge a burst skill.

in Warrior

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

“Earthshaker, Eviscerate, and Arcing Slice are all 3/4 second cast times, meaning Black Powder has a .035 second window of casting on average (.215 seconds to react to your cast, .5 seconds to cast their counter) to stop it. Even if they knew ahead of time when you would cast exactly, they have a .25 second leeway.”

There’s travel time on earthshaker and eviscerate which unless they are humping you are non-negligible. Most blinds/blocks are cast defensively without careful regard to the opponent. That is, bunker guards are going to bunker. Thieves are going to blind. These are how they avoid damage period regardless of if it’s burst. You exaggerate how unlikely it is to dodge a burst skill.

In which case, it’s a matter of they’ll blow their blocks/blinds on any old skill and you should plan your moves around that.

In PvP, at least, most of the capture points are so small, the travel time on those skills is pretty much negligible. The entire radius is about 280, I think? Meaning if you’re even on the same half of the capture point as your target, you’re going to close the gap almost instantly.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

Sweet! So if we loose adrenaline when we miss, in the interest of fairness, thieves should loose stealth if they miss or get blocked, right? Right!?

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

in Warrior

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Sweet! So if we loose adrenaline when we miss, in the interest of fairness, thieves should loose stealth if they miss or get blocked, right? Right!?

While not quite the same, I’d be up for that.

Question, though: if you reflected a P/X or Shortbow attack, should that reveal? I find it hilarious when thieves nail themselves with their stealth attacks and just get the opportunity to do it again.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Warrior

Posted by: Fergus.4208

Fergus.4208

Unless you’re running longbow, Cleansing Ire will be a weaker trait, but on the other hand, the Brawler’s Recovery will now remove a condition on weapon swap. This will reliably, remove damaging conditions (stacked most frequently).

In that regard it’s fairly balanced. Brawler’s Recovery will be more reliable, more frequent, but have less overall conditions removed.

100b has some balancing problems. It’s unreliable in PvP, but it is ridicilously strong in PvE. Instead of just reducing dmg (5% is not much), I’d rather see a large increase to cooldown. The skill is very useful against downed enemies, or to deny enemy players from stomping or rezzing. It would also remain useful if you can set it up, but you won’t be able to make a new attempt every 8th second. By keeping damage, yet increasing cooldown, the overall dps would drastically drop in PvE, yet remain its situational usefulness in PvP.

Example change to 100b:
20 second CD
Strikes 1-3: Reduced damage
Strikes 4-8: Increased damage
Strike 9 (Final strike): Unchanged damage & 0.25s daze.

in Warrior

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Greatsword and Axe are already fairly balanced in PvE and Warrior definitely isn’t top damage in PvE. So I don’t think big PvE nerfs to HB are justified.

in Warrior

Posted by: Fergus.4208

Fergus.4208

Greatsword and Axe are already fairly balanced in PvE and Warrior definitely isn’t top damage in PvE. So I don’t think big PvE nerfs to HB are justified.

Warrior is definitely in the top with respect to damage (PvE), and that’s coming from the class with highest base health and armor.

The Ele FGS exploit will get fixed.

100b and whirlwind attack combined deals a ridiculous amount of damage. On top of that, those two skills are spammable, and warrior can weapon swap to unleash his other bursty skills while those recharge.

in Warrior

Posted by: Arenzo.3298

Arenzo.3298

This is gonna make playing warrior a lot more strategic and skill-based — I think the biggest hit here is the adrenaline rework.

I don’t think it’s all too bad warriors knew a hit was coming.

With this adrenaline change you’re gonna have to do a lot more positioning, making sure when you make an adrenaline burst skill that it WILL land — taking advantage of your adrenaline in every fight as best as you possibly can knowing that you got to dump it on the spot.

It makes thematic sense too — in the heat of the moment you gain adrenaline but when you pay attention somewhere else your adrenaline subsides

well if you just got out of a fight and you have an enemy in sight and you are rushin to him/her i think the adrenaline would still be there

in Warrior

Posted by: Arenzo.3298

Arenzo.3298

I love the new Arcing Slice (Greatsword Burst)

I have a few ideas for improve GS autoattack and 100b
Greatsword swing #1a
250->280
Vulnerability 1 / 8s

Greatsword slice #1b
250->280
Vulnerability 1 / 8s

Brutal strike #1c
322->300
Cripple 1s

100b #2

Damage 4X 1500 -> 8X 1624
Final strike 406

castime 3.5 -> 2.0
cooldown 10 -> 12

the idea is to drastically reduce the damage of 100b but make it easy to land and balance the damage nerf with a improve of autoattack

what do you think?

idk what that would do to pvp but that sounds like a HUGE nerf to PVE
its non auto attack of GS is most of why you use it

in Warrior

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Warrior is definitely in the top with respect to damage (PvE), and that’s coming from the class with highest base health and armor.

The Ele FGS exploit will get fixed.

100b and whirlwind attack combined deals a ridiculous amount of damage. On top of that, those two skills are spammable, and warrior can weapon swap to unleash his other bursty skills while those recharge.

Elementalists and Thieves do more damage than Warriors. Guardians too when you can abuse projectiles. And other classes are not far behind Warrior.

If GS gets a big nerf then people just camp Axe unlike the current GS/Axe/X swap. If Axe gets nerfed too then Warrior drops to thrash tier DPS and becomes a true support class.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

in Warrior

Posted by: ShakeyStorm.7180

ShakeyStorm.7180

This is gonna make playing warrior a lot more strategic and skill-based — I think the biggest hit here is the adrenaline rework.

I don’t think it’s all too bad warriors knew a hit was coming.

With this adrenaline change you’re gonna have to do a lot more positioning, making sure when you make an adrenaline burst skill that it WILL land — taking advantage of your adrenaline in every fight as best as you possibly can knowing that you got to dump it on the spot.

It makes thematic sense too — in the heat of the moment you gain adrenaline but when you pay attention somewhere else your adrenaline subsides

well if you just got out of a fight and you have an enemy in sight and you are rushin to him/her i think the adrenaline would still be there

OR you may engage with no adrenaline and mobility skills on cooldown

in Warrior

Posted by: Gamgee.8612

Gamgee.8612

I like this. I might even consider taking Burst Mastery now. My hammer will be much more vulnrable which I have no problem with. Passive regen is indirectly nerfed aswell because you won’t be sitting at any adrenaline really.

N I M S – Warrior of Judge Legends[JDGE]