Runes of Rage vs Runes of the Pack

in Warrior

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

So I’m conflicted over which set of runes to run on my zerker (Def/Disc/Bers) for roaming. Pack runes seem like the better choice at first glance because of the +175 power and the precision bonus. But would the +5% damage and +175 ferocity from Rage runes make up for the loss of power?

I have 2600 power and 50% crit chance before the runes.

Borlis Pass solo roamer

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

Personally, I run Runes of Malandru (because i’m weird) but lets go the damage equasion

Assuming 2500 Armor for your opponent and using Arcing slice as my base damage

Damage done =

• (Weapon strength) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient) / (target’s Armor)
  • Normal: (448 * 2600 * 1.20) / 2500 = 560 (i think it rounds up)
  • Normal Critical: (448 * 2600 * 1.20)2 / 2500 = *1119 (still rounding up)
  • Critical with Ferocity and +5% damage added in damage: (448 * 2600 * 1.20)2.6666667 / 2500= *1491 (rounding again)

I hope I did that right. I copied the equation right out of the wiki, but the numbers look small. I know i do more damage than that with arcing slice, and i run malandru’s and im not full zerk.

I hope i did that right

in Warrior

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I use this chart to figure out optimal damage, and I presume it’s accurate. The closer you get to the bottom right corner, the higher your damage output will be (presuming you’re pretty close to the power recommended in the box).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2vjoef/balancing_powerprecisionferocity_based_on_ep/

Don’t forget to factor in your might (try to guess what you average over the course of a fight), and to factor in your Fury uptime (which is probably pretty close to all the time with those runes, though depending on some other choices of course).

The 5% thing’s a little trickier to figure out though, mostly because of how it interacts with all of your other multipliers. If you’ve got a bunch packed into your build, then they really start to shine as they’re multiplicative rather than additive. Still, the table above will help you get a pretty good idea of how close you are to optimized stats between the two runes.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

(edited by Choppy.4183)

in Warrior

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I hope i did that right

Its the weapon strength that’s off. Greatsword has a range of 1,045 – 1,155. the 448 is a pre-calculated damage number based on minimum power. If we take the average range we get 1100, which is what the weapons strength should be.

With Pack runes, we’re looking at (1100 * 2600 * 1.2) / 2500 = 1372.8
With Rage runes, we’re looking at (1100 * 2525 * 1.2) / 2500) * 1.05 = 1399.86

Now, that doesn’t take into account the added precision that Pack gives you, the ferocity that Rage gives you, crits in general, nor other damage modifiers. All of those will change the final numbers. I know your crit rate is ~50%, but I don’t know the specific numbers, nor do I know your crit damage or what modifiers you chose. I did assume that you have Fury for the Rage runes but again, the exact crit rate and crit damage combined with the multiplicative stacking of damage modifiers heavily changes how much damage you can expect to do with either option. The difference between the two with the parameters used is only 2% in favor of Rage, so its basically a wash.

If we add the extra values of the Precision and Ferocity they give to assumed numbers (the 50% crit given and 200% crit damage), we should expect to see a bit more change.

Crit chance is 1% = 21 points, so 125/21 = 5.95 or basically 6
Pack: 1372.8 * (.56 [crit chance] * 2.00 [crit damage] = 1.12) = 1537.5

Crit Damage is 1% = 15 points, so 175/15 = 11.667
Rage: 1399.86 * (.5 * [crit chance] * 2.116 [crit damage] = 1.058) = 1481.1

The damage difference between the two is 4% in favor of Pack

Now, I also could have definitely done something wrong. But, you can see how the different factors can change the numbers. What my math ideally did, was show the average amount of damage you should expect from an Arcing Slice against the same target. The crit numbers turned into a damage modifier, so that only shows you a partial look into how the real numbers will act. Pack runes should give you more consistent numbers, while Rage will give you burstier numbers, and randomization is bad for defending on reaction.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

^ thanks Glad thats worked out.

in Warrior

Posted by: Rekt.5360

Rekt.5360

I personally go for Rage. Rage gives you nearly perma fury without even having to use Arcing Slice, and in general allows you to burst harder, although its less consistent.

Vanov {Warrior} ~ Still waiting for “Guide on Making Proper ||#1 Warr NA|| Sig”

in Warrior

Posted by: Obindo.6802

Obindo.6802

The problem with rage on warrior is that it will either scale a already near perma fury uptime to complete overflow or it will have nothing to scale in the first place, except the rune’s own proc, I guess that’s something, but not much and with that loosing a lot of value.

(edited by Obindo.6802)

in Warrior

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

The problem with rage on warrior is that it will either scale a already near perma fury uptime to complete overflow or it will have nothing to scale in the first place, except the rune’s own proc, I guess that’s something, but not much and with that loosing a lot of value.

That actually makes no sense. Very few warriors these days have much fury in their build. The only fury application could be elite sigil or Fatal Frenzy trait. Next to that, very few people run arms, dual strike or FGJ.
Next to that point, fury does stack in duration, no matter how many times. You will never reach the cap of 3 minutes with a conventional warrior build. However with rune of rage you will have already 60% fury uptime. So for 60% at least you get a 5% damage bonus.

I am not saying Rage is better than Pack, I believe the calculations up here and they show that Pack is better. But the arguement you bring on the table seems invalid.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Warrior

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

That actually makes no sense. Very few warriors these days have much fury in their build. The only fury application could be elite sigil or Fatal Frenzy trait. Next to that, very few people run arms, dual strike or FGJ.

There’s also Arcing Slice, the GS F1. Most power warriors use a GS, thus can obtain a lot of fury as long as they land their bursts (15s per level 3 burst).

in Warrior

Posted by: Obindo.6802

Obindo.6802

Next to that point, fury does stack in duration, no matter how many times. You will never reach the cap of 3 minutes with a conventional warrior build. However with rune of rage you will have already 60% fury uptime. So for 60% at least you get a 5% damage bonus.

I am not saying Rage is better than Pack, I believe the calculations up here and they show that Pack is better. But the arguement you bring on the table seems invalid.

Actually it made perfect sense