Shield Warriors!

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Praenomen.3245

Praenomen.3245

Where are you? I can’t be the only person out there that prefers using a shield in PVE/PVP situations, and not just for tanking.

I found it very useful during leveling as it gave me a small boost to survivability that came from only a small loss of DPS compared to dual wielding, when using a sword in the mainhand. A single sword is very good for stacking tons of bleeds quickly on an enemy, particularly if you pick the appropriate traits in Arms.

I’m particularly interested in anyone who rolls as a shield warrior in PVP, what sort of set up do you use?

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: DJPenguin.6945

DJPenguin.6945

use sword n board as backup to the greatsword. it buys me enough time for the greatsword cooldowns to come back up, preferably using bash before switching.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

Hail, shieldbrothers! I’ve been using the axe and shield to great effect in my adventures. It lends itself well to my field-medic persona in WvW.
“DON’T YOU DIE ONE ME!”

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: hype r.5431

hype r.5431

I use sword shield and mace shield, I love my shield, means I’m almost always the first one in the fight and the last one to get downed, its awesome, plus combined with my mace I can stun like crazy. I also carry my trusty hammer and rifle for when they are needed.

Since I do a hell of a lot more PvE than PvP, I cant stand when a warrior rocks up to an instance with a GS.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

I use sword/shield condition damage for pvp. Been testing some axe/shield builds but still haven’t get the feeling needed to play them 100% correctly. But nop you are not alone.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Vance.5367

Vance.5367

Especially for PvP – if you run up against anyone 1v1 you’re gonna have a much easier time with the shield, especially if you don’t have the faster fingers (I don’t).

It’s beautiful for luring enemies off points or spreading them out/pulling them away from the main fight. Isolate and destroy, and carry a backup weapon you’re comfortable with (I like the rifle, but I didn’t think of another shield combo – sword/shield switching to mace/shield…that could be sick)

Yeah well my other char is a GM so eat it.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Raphyjj.9538

Raphyjj.9538

I see your shield and raise you a warhorn. TOOT TOOT

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Praenomen.3245

Praenomen.3245

I see your shield and raise you a warhorn. TOOT TOOT

I will concede that real mean go into battle with trumpets, but people who like to stay alive and look like BAMFs while doing it use shields. Nothing says “Stay down” like getting bashed in the face by a big hunk of wood or metal strapped to my arm after getting stabbed!

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: TravisTrout.6803

TravisTrout.6803

In PVE I’m sword & shield / greatsword. I find it to be an excellent combo. Between them you have two gap closers, a movement attack, a ranged attack, a cripple, a stun/interrupt, and an “oh ****” button for shrugging off that red circle you didn’t notice because you were consumed by bloodlust.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: NyghtProwler.9386

NyghtProwler.9386

Mace/Mace Axe/Shield Warrior here!

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Grazdan.5124

Grazdan.5124

Mace + Shield Warrior here.

I tried every single weapon, but I liked the “feeling” of that combo. I love how I can stunlock an enemy, and I must admit that I feel OP with the “you reflect projectiles while blocking” trait.

And for “roleplaying” purposes, I think it’s the best combo for a Rock Wall Norn

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Qbert.4197

Qbert.4197

Any Warrior not using a shield in PvP deserves every death. “Shield Stance” is one of the most powerful PvP abilities in the game.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Bambi Is Strong.6083

Bambi Is Strong.6083

Mace/Shield is EXTREMELY OP. It basically has 5seconds stun and another 6 seconds of block with this just weapon set. In PvP I always put on my mace/shield unless I’m certain I can stun and kill with 100B.

People just love to see big numbers more.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Qbert.4197

use sword n board as backup to the greatsword. it buys me enough time for the greatsword cooldowns to come back up, preferably using bash before switching.

I recommend trying Axe/Shield instead of Sword/Shield to backup a Greatsword. I used to use Sword/Shield too thinking the bleeds and a root would offset the GS nicely …. but I’ve changed my opinion entirely. The Greatsword ‘burst’ ability is garbage since you should have fury already, and the Axe MH finisher is by far the best one handed Burst skill. The sword Burst ability is just too impractical and bleeds get wiped too easy. In addition Axes just hit harder than Swords, Sword Hamstring/Leap/Burst skills seem to miss way more often without resetting the cooldown, and axes provide better mobility.

I was getting over 5k crits with my Axe finisher this morning in WvW. You don’t have to sacrifice all damage when swapping in a shield. It’s deceptively powerful.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Nargaroth.1482

Nargaroth.1482

GS just to use 3 and 5 to run away /chase, and axe/shield GW1 style.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Nargaroth.1482

Nargaroth.1482

Mace/Shield is EXTREMELY OP. It basically has 5seconds stun and another 6 seconds of block with this just weapon set. In PvP I always put on my mace/shield unless I’m certain I can stun and kill with 100B.

you just forgot the 0 damage on that build too.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Qbert.4197

GS just to use 3 and 5 to run away /chase, and axe/shield GW1 style.

This is why GS is pretty much mandatory in WvW. Not the damage, the escape.

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Titarion.2609

Titarion.2609

you just forgot the 0 damage on that build too.

Haha, my thoughts exactly!

Shield Warriors!

in Warrior

Posted by: Torgaard.1864

Torgaard.1864

Hail fellow shieldbrothers! Mace+Shield here. I also roll with the hammer. I typically open with it, actually. Knockback—Knockdown—AE stun, and then roll-on to the Mace+Shield. I love the CC.

DPS? Not interested.