Shout Build: Why use Soldier's Gear?

in Warrior

Posted by: Axyl.9408

Axyl.9408

Hello all! I see that for Shout-Healing builds, majority of people seem to use PTV gear. Why don’t people use Cleric’s to boost the healing power since Warriors already have the highest Health pool in the game?

in Warrior

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

P/V/T gear’s main stat is Power.

Cleric’s main stat is healing power. Shouts don’t scale amazingly well with healing, so it’s typically not worth it.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Warrior

Axyl.9408

Thanks! That answered my question!

in Warrior

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Shouts do scale pretty well with healing. Shout warriors just want to be able to claim to be DPS and having gearset where power is the major stat is the first step to fooling yourself.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Shouts do scale pretty well with healing. Shout warriors just want to be able to claim to be DPS and having gearset where power is the major stat is the first step to fooling yourself.

I prefer PVT because downed or dead DPS is no DPS at all. Having to constant pick up other group members that get downed because they’re 6/6 berserker and have no health or defense also stops my DPS. Having a Warrior healing the group with shouts can keep the other 4 up to put out max DPS too.

in Warrior

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

If anything you said had any – ANY – validity or merit, then those of us that have been playing WvW since its beginning would by now see multitudes of WvW warriors wearing clerics gear. To date, do we? No. Do all of the hardcore WvW guilds or GvG guilds have their warriors running around using such? No. Who here is really fooling themselves when it comes to fact and actuality of what is being used by warriors in WvW, Guanglai Kangyi?

in Warrior

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

I prefer PVT because downed or dead DPS is no DPS at all. Having to constant pick up other group members that get downed because they’re 6/6 berserker and have no health or defense also stops my DPS. Having a Warrior healing the group with shouts can keep the other 4 up to put out max DPS too.

Your healing shouts are doing very little, whatever small amount of dps you’re doing will not be missed if you stop attacking either. Sounds like you’re trying to excuse your own short comings more than anything.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

in Warrior

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

As far as WvW goes, PTV is better. You don’t need bigger green numbers, Power as main stat is better and overall PTV has better survivability over Cleric, plus being more versatile and Healing Power being a waste of stat (you shouldn’t rely on that to survive, much more on dodges and positioning. Also, you’ll use it on the 2-3 shouts you’re carrying, then nothing else for 20-40 sec).

As far as PvE goes, do yourself and your team a favor, drop both the shout healing build and ptv/clearic gear and spec for raw DPS.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

(edited by AndrewSX.3794)

in Warrior

Axyl.9408

So, is there any real point to taking healing shouts over banners at all? I do know that only 1 banner will work per group. And I’d really like to offer some support to my group(Whether it is offensive or defensive).

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

There’s really no reason to take healshouts in general, but yeah, if you were to take them it’d be because you already have the important banners covered.

in Warrior

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

I ran a lot of numbers on clerics compared to soldiers. And even after the recent patches, soldiers outshines clerics. Your healing just doesn’t scale enough to justify going clerics. And if you go clerics you’ll hit like a wet noodle and I am talking <1000.

Sure warriors aren’t the main damage dealers in a zerg, but they still do drop hard bombs. And power boost damage so enourmously well in this game. So you just can’t go without PVT.

Why take shouts over banners? 2 reasons, first banners apply regen. Regen is thrown out a lot by many other classes already. Your regen would just interfer with these and would be useless because everyone already has regen applied on them. Sure banners give nice stat boosts, but they are clunky and often not effective. Second, combine your shouts with soldier runes and you’ll remove conditions aswel. So you hand out a flat heal that stacks with ANY other type of healing, effectively highering the healing/s of your group and you clear conditions AND apply some buffs.

The most important job of a warrior is clearing of conditions of his teammates, healing is only a secundary asset of the warrior, you can see it as an ‘extra’. So he keeps the melee train mobile and clean. Second he CCs and controls the enemy with his hammer and dishes as much damage out as he can. His 3rd job is applying some boons, fgj and traited warhorn. This is what the warrior does.

ps.: there is no place for zerker warriors in WvW.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

Axyl.9408

Your post gives me a lot of hope! Will I have to use a hammer? I do recognize it’s strengths with CC, I just don’t like using the “Blunt” weapons in video games. I never have. I can handle the warrior mace skills. I think they’re interesting! Hammer on the other hand, it just doesn’t interest me at all. It feels clunky and unresponsive.

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I ran a lot of numbers on clerics compared to soldiers. And even after the recent patches, soldiers outshines clerics. Your healing just doesn’t scale enough to justify going clerics. And if you go clerics you’ll hit like a wet noodle and I am talking <1000.

Sure warriors aren’t the main damage dealers in a zerg, but they still do drop hard bombs. And power boost damage so enourmously well in this game. So you just can’t go without PVT.

Why take shouts over banners? 2 reasons, first banners apply regen. Regen is thrown out a lot by many other classes already. Your regen would just interfer with these and would be useless because everyone already has regen applied on them. Sure banners give nice stat boosts, but they are clunky and often not effective. Second, combine your shouts with soldier runes and you’ll remove conditions aswel. So you hand out a flat heal that stacks with ANY other type of healing, effectively highering the healing/s of your group and you clear conditions AND apply some buffs.

The most important job of a warrior is clearing of conditions of his teammates, healing is only a secundary asset of the warrior, you can see it as an ‘extra’. So he keeps the melee train mobile and clean. Second he CCs and controls the enemy with his hammer and dishes as much damage out as he can. His 3rd job is applying some boons, fgj and traited warhorn. This is what the warrior does.

ps.: there is no place for zerker warriors in WvW.

You’re not going to hit much harder in PVT either. If you want to kill things you go condi bunker, because conditions actually scale well with only one stat invested.

in Warrior

MiLkZz.4789

Your post gives me a lot of hope! Will I have to use a hammer? I do recognize it’s strengths with CC, I just don’t like using the “Blunt” weapons in video games. I never have. I can handle the warrior mace skills. I think they’re interesting! Hammer on the other hand, it just doesn’t interest me at all. It feels clunky and unresponsive.

Strenght of the shout build is when used in zergs or guild raids. Mace is a great weapon, but most skills are 1 person only (stun). So it is useless in big scale fights. Hammer skills are all aoe, and gives great control when you know how to deal with blinds :p. You could run greatsword, I am reluctant to it, because hammer does outshine it. But greatsword is an Ok alternative to the hammer.

And PVT compared to clerics, yes full PVT gives to low crit chance. But if you balance power/crit chance/crit dmg out you’ll do A LOT more damage than with just clerics. I am talking about going from <1000 to >3000.

Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

You guys don’t even recommend going light into the healing power just to supplement the warrior’s great sustain?

Example: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNBMhJak0p5N5x4hJOggeohVBXcKoEpHkBbkGA-j0CBYOCiUgAUDgkFQJPZNLSQMRCpyqIasqGYKVER1eDFRrWGA9xA-w

Primarily, the things I was most pleased to see was:

3186 attack w/ sword (+empower)/ 3297 w/ hammer
30% crit (50% fury)
3049 armor
23k health
33~34% crit dmg (wanted more but would be ineffective with my crit chance)
871 healing power (1121 w/ life)

With max healing power:

448/s on HS
176/s on Adrenal Health (528 every 3 seconds at 3 bars)
270/s regen
2089 per shout

That means every three seconds I have rejuvenated 2682 health passively (with 3 bars of adrenaline). Seems a little OP to me.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

(edited by ArtemisEntreri.4138)

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

You’re not going to hit much harder in PVT either. If you want to kill things you go condi bunker, because conditions actually scale well with only one stat invested.

Actually you’re horribly wrong. PVT armor + soldier’s runes + zerker or knight’s trinkets will make you a tanky sonofakitten that has over 30% crit chance easily (~90-100% with unsuspecting foe) as well as having a high base power amount. Having FGJ not only give might + fury (so not only 20% additional crit chance, but free bonus flat damage / condition damage via the 3 stacks of might. Then it’ll cure a condition via soldier’s runes, and with healing shouts a free 1.7-1.9k burst heal. Combo that with shake it off for 2 additional condition cures + burst heal and if you have a 3rd shout like OMM or Fear Me that’s about 3.4k-3.6k for having 2 shouts or 4.8-5k for running 3 shouts. And since most shouts are on a <25 sec cooldown you’re burst healing / condition curing all over the place while not only dealing nice damage yourself, but bolstering the damage output for your team / server allies as well.

I’ve been using a shout build since I hit lvl 80 last November and I kittening love it. I’m very much looking forward to the healing boost they’re supposed to receive next patch to see just how much more sustain I can pump out not just for myself, but for my team to maximize the level of balls deepyness (that’s a word now) I can pull off in all forms of engagements.

P.S.
Best part about this build is that it’s not weapon dependant to be effective. Some weapon sets are favored / prefered of course but I’ve yet to see it not be useful with anything.

Edit for clarification:
I meant you’re horribly wrong about saying to not go with PVT. Healing shouts are just as good in a condition build as well from the might stacks via FGJ and SoR.

(edited by Setun.4368)

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Actually you’re horribly wrong. PVT armor + soldier’s runes + zerker or knight’s trinkets will make you a tanky sonofakitten that has over 30% crit chance easily (~90-100% with unsuspecting foe) as well as having a high base power amount. Having FGJ not only give might + fury (so not only 20% additional crit chance, but free bonus flat damage / condition damage via the 3 stacks of might. Then it’ll cure a condition via soldier’s runes, and with healing shouts a free 1.7-1.9k burst heal. Combo that with shake it off for 2 additional condition cures + burst heal and if you have a 3rd shout like OMM or Fear Me that’s about 3.4k-3.6k for having 2 shouts or 4.8-5k for running 3 shouts. And since most shouts are on a <25 sec cooldown you’re burst healing / condition curing all over the place while not only dealing nice damage yourself, but bolstering the damage output for your team / server allies as well.

I’ve been using a shout build since I hit lvl 80 last November and I kittening love it. I’m very much looking forward to the healing boost they’re supposed to receive next patch to see just how much more sustain I can pump out not just for myself, but for my team to maximize the level of balls deepyness (that’s a word now) I can pull off in all forms of engagements.

P.S.
Best part about this build is that it’s not weapon dependant to be effective. Some weapon sets are favored / prefered of course but I’ve yet to see it not be useful with anything.

Edit for clarification:
I meant you’re horribly wrong about saying to not go with PVT. Healing shouts are just as good in a condition build as well from the might stacks via FGJ and SoR.

You wrote a big chunk of text about your stats that I didn’t really read, because your damage is still going to suck if you are in soldier gear. Any DPS you are managing to scrape out from your gear spread is from the zerker gear, not the soldier’s. You could drop the soldier pieces for clerics or any other similarly defense-only prefix and not notice much difference in the speed anything dies.

Again, if you want to tank, go conditions. That is why they exist, they’re the low-investment, moderate reward option for damage, versus direct damage which is high-investment, maximum reward.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ultrajoe.8674

Ultrajoe.8674

You wrote a big chunk of text about your stats that I didn’t really read, because your damage is still going to suck if you are in soldier gear. Any DPS you are managing to scrape out from your gear spread is from the zerker gear, not the soldier’s. You could drop the soldier pieces for clerics or any other similarly defense-only prefix and not notice much difference in the speed anything dies.

Again, if you want to tank, go conditions. That is why they exist, they’re the low-investment, moderate reward option for damage, versus direct damage which is high-investment, maximum reward.

But in WvW soldier’s, shouts and hammers go together like a great meal. If you’re not talking about WvW then ignore me all together, I have misread your comments.

Conditions might maximize the mileage you’re getting out of your offensive stats, but how much of your play as a melee meatwall will benefit from this? Your hammer doesn’t apply conditions, and while your sword does apply them, the only common reason you’d have it out is to leap or toot the warhorn. The current warrior meta build is a workhorse for boons, conditions, healing, mobility and stuns, but the one thing it doesn’t have is consistent condition uptime. PVT gear plays to the strengths of our most valued role, which is not determined by stats but by what we can bring to the table, which is a seriously beefy offensive support toolkit. The damage we deal is direct, often indiscriminate and secondary to our other functions, perfect for a nice big power score.

Sportuu The Dour – Fort Aspenwood Warrior
Fattest Man in [GLOB]

in Warrior

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

But in WvW soldier’s, shouts and hammers go together like a great meal. If you’re not talking about WvW then ignore me all together, I have misread your comments.

Conditions might maximize the mileage you’re getting out of your offensive stats, but how much of your play as a melee meatwall will benefit from this? Your hammer doesn’t apply conditions, and while your sword does apply them, the only common reason you’d have it out is to leap or toot the warhorn. The current warrior meta build is a workhorse for boons, conditions, healing, mobility and stuns, but the one thing it doesn’t have is consistent condition uptime. PVT gear plays to the strengths of our most valued role, which is not determined by stats but by what we can bring to the table, which is a seriously beefy offensive support toolkit. The damage we deal is direct, often indiscriminate and secondary to our other functions, perfect for a nice big power score.

Perplexity dat zerg ball.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

The old school hammer shout warrior is this, the shouts weren’t mainly used for healing but for the means to take out negative buffs with souldier runes. Adding healing to it made such a bonus.

But cleric gear also works well together pvt ascended accessories + food. Just a matter of preferrence.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in Warrior

MiLkZz.4789

The old school hammer shout warrior is this, the shouts weren’t mainly used for healing but for the means to take out negative buffs with souldier runes. Adding healing to it made such a bonus.

But cleric gear also works well together pvt ascended accessories + food. Just a matter of preferrence.

It is a matter of preference, but the fact is that most of the warriors run PVT, for the damage and added survivability against bursts. Like I said I ran the numbers and I don’t find it worth it to go clerics because of all the stats you’ll lose and it is not only the damage.

But the difference ain’t that big, it wont make you ‘much’ worse overall going clerics. Because your healing will be higher. It will require a different playstyle. But if I had to chose one and say that is the best, I would go PVT.

Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

Sovereign.1093

It is a matter of preference, but the fact is that most of the warriors run PVT, for the damage and added survivability against bursts. Like I said I ran the numbers and I don’t find it worth it to go clerics because of all the stats you’ll lose and it is not only the damage.

But the difference ain’t that big, it wont make you ‘much’ worse overall going clerics. Because your healing will be higher. It will require a different playstyle. But if I had to chose one and say that is the best, I would go PVT.

I can respect that. I’m a knights warrior myself (my first set ever was taugrim’s riffle build) and I’ve experimented all I can think about warriors but find myself returning to this basic build (all the money i shouldn’t have spend ahah).

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Right, so being tanky yet hitting between 4k-9k crits with pvt armor + knights / zerk trinkets without even trying is weak. Got it.

in Warrior

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

Right, so being tanky yet hitting between 4k-9k crits with pvt armor + knights / zerk trinkets without even trying is weak. Got it.

Under the same conditions with full zerker you could hit for a lot more, so yes, PVT will always be relatively weak to Berserker’s,

I really don’t get these kinds of arguments, you’re posting arbitrary numbers in attempt to do what? To show that PVT can potentially outdamage Berserker’s? Because if so, then you’re fighting an uphill battle my friend, common sense shows that Berserker’s will always, absolutely, as a law of nature, out damage PVT.

in Warrior

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

And, as a law of nature, Zerker’s will always give and TAKE more damage than PTV. Sometimes sustaining one’s life is just as important.

btw… why do people call it PVT when the stacking order is PTV? Even following the alphabet it would be PTV.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Warrior

Player Character.9467

Again, the dps you get is mostly coming from your trinkets. For one trinkets give MORE stats than armor does so you are more zerker than ptv if you run that mix. You are not running soldier’s at that point.

btw… why do people call it PVT when the stacking order is PTV? Even following the alphabet it would be PTV.

I’m convinced it’s on purpose to mess with people. Even saying it out loud ptv rolls off easier than pvt.

in Warrior

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

It’s the same, Power is primary stat while Vit and Tough have same numbers.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Warrior

MiLkZz.4789

I can respect that. I’m a knights warrior myself (my first set ever was taugrim’s riffle build) and I’ve experimented all I can think about warriors but find myself returning to this basic build (all the money i shouldn’t have spend ahah).

Yes, I know. I got 8 armor sets, tons of weapons with different sigils/stats on them, 10+ ascended trinkets and many exotics aswel. And I like to look good, so most items have expensive skins over them. I don’t even want to calculate how many gold I have spend. But I only play warrior, so I don’t care.

I do play all my builds tho. I sometimes like to go roamin with my greatsword build or condition specc (got 2). Or 1 for zerging and 1 for front line holding very large zerg busting (like 20vs80+).

Or trolling with full zerker riffle build is fun too, to bad they suck for the rest tho :p. Still fun to see those 20k+ numbers and people are like WTF how I died?

Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Again, the dps you get is mostly coming from your trinkets. For one trinkets give MORE stats than armor does so you are more zerker than ptv if you run that mix. You are not running soldier’s at that point.

You’re not “running zerker”, either, though, are you? You’re running a mixed gear build of the kind that is actually pretty common on Warriors and despite the boardwarrior “Perfect Scenario”-types screaming that you must go “All X or b failz”, actually works really well in the messy real world of the actual game, where you are rarely, if ever, playing with perfect groupmates in a perfect comp (I think we can all agree that, in a perfect world, yes, all zerker is going to be best – grats to those who constantly and only group with people where that actually works out).

I’m convinced it’s on purpose to mess with people. Even saying it out loud ptv rolls off easier than pvt.

That’s a bit paranoid. It’s more likely because Pvt is an existing acronym – for Private, the rank in the military, and an acronym most players are likely familiar with.

in Warrior

MiLkZz.4789

Full zerker in WvW for warrior is in not a single circumstance best. Not even close, like I stated before, there is no room in WvW for zerker warriors.

Stats considering to aim for:
42% crit chance (with furry)
2k+ power
2.8k+ armor (I prefer even more)
22k health (24k+ with guardian stacks)
Dump rest into crit damage, try to boost power as high as possible first tho.

Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

Player Character.9467

You’re not “running zerker”, either, though, are you? You’re running a mixed gear build of the kind that is actually pretty common on Warriors -snip-

And that isn’t the topic of this thread. The thread is comparing ptv to cleric, saying ‘well i put zerker in my ____ and that makes me hit hard in my ptv gear’ doesn’t mean anything because the same tiny dps difference between cleric and ptv exists between ptv/zerker and cleric/zerker.

And then there’s the fact that none of the mix posts in this thread even attempt to make the correct substitutions when mixing gear with and without crit dmg. The amount of stat points you give up per % crit dmg isn’t always the same so stop blindly making swaps.

(edited by Player Character.9467)

in Warrior

Posted by: Nergrom.7592

Nergrom.7592

I did the math a while back for [FIRE], and even accounting for the buff to shouts:

A shout warrior takes over 12 seconds (averaged out) in full cleric to heal the same amount of effective health they would’ve gotten from going sentinel.

A banner warrior takes 5 seconds in full cleric to… sentinel. This is due to the fact that with the banner out, warrior have the highest uptime healing power (overwriting other regens) as well as can heal up to 20+ people by themselves due to how banner regen works.

A guardian healer takes 4 seconds…

A staff ele takes 5 seconds….

So what does this mean? Without taking power into consideration, shout warriors benefit the least of the group healers from cleric gear. So unless you’re really lacking heals as a group, go sentinel.

Considering power, soldier > sentinel

So if you’re a shout warrior, get out your soldier gear unless your group really does lack heals. Remember, health is 1 person, group heals are usually 5 or 6 (20+ in the case of banners, but banner wars don’t stack unless you have more people)

(edited by Nergrom.7592)

in Warrior

Player Character.9467

So what does this mean? Without taking power into consideration, shout warriors benefit the least of the group healers from cleric gear. So unless you’re really lacking heals as a group, go sentinel.

No… it means if a fight lasts over 12 or 5 seconds take clerics because you have had more effective hp in the fight.

in Warrior

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Clerics have almost zero value, because main source of heal is empowers + blasts on water fields. Shouts is handy little sustain source and good condi cleanse instrument, but not something really worthy to kitten your stats with healing power.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in Warrior

MiLkZz.4789

No… it means if a fight lasts over 12 or 5 seconds take clerics because you have had more effective hp in the fight.

Think you should reread his post

Best golem driver EU

in Warrior

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

I play cleric warrior _ Its quite fun~

in Warrior

Sovereign.1093

A cleric warrior build can work if you build it right.

cleric armor, pvt trinkets, cleric weapons, runes of the soldier, sigil of life on hammer, sigil of energy on warhorn, and sigil of leach on the sword.

It is a good zerg warrior build.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in Warrior

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

And, as a law of nature, Zerker’s will always give and TAKE more damage than PTV. Sometimes sustaining one’s life is just as important.

Yeah, Zerker does take more damage than PVT, but that’s not really the argument at hand is it? The argument was about damage.

Plus, Guang was most likely talking about PvE, and it seems as if OP was talking more about WvW

in Warrior

Posted by: Nergrom.7592

Nergrom.7592

In terms of pure long term survival, you’re perfectly right!

However, you need to consider that if healing is already enough for long term sutainability, any extra healers can invest in more defensive or offensive stats to get a bigger bang for buck or tank more burst. I suggest shout warriors for this because their total output is very small compared to the other healers, their main strength being condition removal.

Like I said, if you lack heals as a group, go cleric (enough that you don’t feel too squishy), if not go sentinel or soldier.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Because (for wvw) of this:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/Near-Invincible-warrior/first#post1512431

(look at my post with my screenshot somewhere at the middle)

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.