So, is the a point in 2xAxe when GS exists?

in Warrior

Posted by: ShTuPm.9358

ShTuPm.9358

Recently I’ve decided to roll a warrior. Now, before i say anything else, i’d like to point out that i’m playing since betas, but i don’t have a level 80 character just yet, it was kinda difficult for me to find the class that i enjoy. Anyway, when i was leveling, i was trying out different weapons to find ones that i like. At first, i was running with a Hammer. Mostly because i adore the way the abilities look (yeah, silly, i know) and feel, which was awesome in hammer’s case. Then i felt that the hammer is obviously not intended for some crazy damage, because it’s obviously more of a crowd control weapon, so I’ve switch to double-axe composition. At first it was fast and fun, but then a greatsword dropped, i equipped it, unlocked the skills and….well, it may be just me, but greatsword blew my double-axes (of the same level range) completely out of the water in terms of damage output. Thing is, i remember thinking, looking back upon the beta period is that GS had pretty crazy damage, when i was trying it out on events and random sPvP back in the day. I even thought to myself that it would be good of Anet would tone it down a notch, though that’s not the point.

So, my question is this: I’m mostly just leveling, doing some events, running random sPvP now and then and not much else. Is there any point for me to use anything rather than GS for doing the things i do, since it completely outdamages my double-axe set-up and has (imo) kinda similar functionality? (aoe damage, cripple) Because it seems that the majority of warriors of my level and higher are not using anything else, unless they just like to have lots of control, in which case they’re running with a hammer. Am i missing something glaringly obvious? Thanks.

in Warrior

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Well few things need to be considered when comparing gs with a/a.
First comes question of burst skill which is totaly usless on GS while on axe its pretty greasy dmg! Second is famous comparison of HB with axe 5, where argument is that HB has alot more dmg output than axe 5. But, what is left out of sight is that while your are chanelling HB you cant move, cant dodge and can only hit targets in arc infron of you. While spinning with axe 5 you CAN dodge, can move and can hit 360 around you.
Not only that, but axe 5 is exelent adrenalin generator and on crit sigil proc builds can benefit from it largely.
It comes down to what you prefer, and what you need for certain situations but its far from a/a beeing usless due to existance of GS.

in Warrior

Posted by: Resouled.5614

Resouled.5614

Don’t forget the GS burst skill is pretty bad while the axe’s burst skill does some really high damage.

[vE] Visceral Effect – Blue

in Warrior

Posted by: Nier.2478

Nier.2478

Simple. Because the skill called Whirling Axe is weak. If they change that to something a little more game changing then maybe.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009

in Warrior

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Simple. Because the skill called Whirling Axe is weak. If they change that to something a little more game changing then maybe.

You mean its weak dmg compared to hundread blades? It got other things going for it like i mentioned in my post above.

in Warrior

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

This thread is messed up.

1. Axe1 >= Hundred Blades for DPS.
2. Whilwind Attack > * for DPS.
3. GS > * for mobility.
4. Axe offhand sucks dick except to sustain AOE while dodging (few abilities will allow you to deal damage while dodging) and building instant adrenaline. Axe offhand is not really a damage weapon. It’s a tactical weapon centered on dodging, adrenaline buildup, and a Whirl finisher.

5. Generally speaking, Axe + WH is an equal-or-better overall option for combat than GS. Of course, you can use both and have absurd mobility for the lulz.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

in Warrior

Posted by: Nier.2478

Nier.2478

You mean its weak dmg compared to hundread blades? It got other things going for it like i mentioned in my post above.

Talking about efficiency. Why choose Axe + Axe over GS? Because GS has 5 useful skills while Axe + Axe has three useful skills.

The better question is, why choose Axe + Mace over GS? Axe + Mace opens ways to self-sustained builds even though GS is still more rewarding.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009

in Warrior

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I never found Greatsword to be all that good unless you traited for it. Without Forceful Greatsword, I’d probably say it and axes are on the same level with the alternatives of GS having an evade + a mobile charge vs Axe having larger AoE + a good burst skill.

If you start bringing in traits, it muddies up the comparison because then you’re getting into build specifics. Seeing some sick videos of Warriors using the various weapons, each has its own flavor and advantages when you seek them out.

With GS, it’s the synergy of mobility and might on crits is just crazy (why is GS the only weapon with some crazy damage buff like that?). With Axes, it can hit fast and a lot of targets so using on-crit effects (the main one being omnomberry pies) you can easily heal 1.5k+ health while dealing a large chunk of damage if you’re hitting enough targets.

Beyond that, Charr look dumb doing hundred blades but they probably look the best using Whirl attack.

in Warrior

ShTuPm.9358

Thanks for the feedback, guys, really appreciate it.

Leo G, yeah, HB on charr looks like he’s just flailing it in a general direction of “over there somewhere” in an attempt to hit something :P

in Warrior

Posted by: CoaxialMazer.9140

CoaxialMazer.9140

Easymodex
^ this guy pretty much said it all. Only reason i use GS is for mobility/Whilrwind. Whirlwind is really where the sexyness of GS comes out. The only true evasive attacks warrior have and it does great burst dmg and mobility. If you use fast hands/ its low cooldown literally means a third dodgeroll/burst every 8-10 seconds. Warriors were kinda ment to use both weapons sets very often and fast, + with axe ur prone to use eviscerate, while GS burst skill is non useful in anyway. Meaning that u get max adrenaline dmg (berserkers power) and other adrenaline beneficial traits/skills to still be of great use. Personally, i despise the flavor of the weapon, cause everyone uses it. But no one can deny its great strength of mobility/dmg. Even HB is a great down state dps finisher since ur rooted, its good against targets that might be too annoying to stake them, so dps is a better option, great against more than 1 person downed within a vicinity.

in Warrior

Posted by: phantomFury.9168

phantomFury.9168

So, another utility for Whirling Axe…. HEALING. High crit chance, lots of enemies, and omnoberry pies… YUMMY!

Whirling Axe is not a great skill for a single enemy agreed; auto-attack does better. But, for a cluster of enemies, with the mobility, 360 arc, I’ve counted 30k+ damage (cumulative across multiple enemies) dumped in what, <4 seconds? That’s approaching a simplistic 8k DPS. That’s not worthless.

The number 4 slot on the off-hand axe also isn’t a slouch. My particular Dual-axe build routinely hits for 1700ish on each strike; total 3400 damage on a quick hitting skill. Yes, the Fury is pretty much wasted for most Warrior builds.

Are there ‘better’ options? Sure, as it’s all situational. Working with a group/party? Mace’s extra vulnerability is very attractive as is the knockdown. Shield is also great for it’s stun and blocking. Warhorn for condition removal, application of Weakness. But to make a blanket statement that off-hand axe is utterly and completely worthless is incorrect.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

Axe has made me moderately rich due to being capable of tagging alot of opponents while healing me in zergs of enemies. Lots of drops. Also the dodge hit. Greatsword whirlwind is great too.

If only ANet would remove the three enemy restriction from hundred blades..

:D

But yeah, it hits lots of things for farming…

Its useful if you ever want to actually get gold.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

in Warrior

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

Warriors really need to stop using Axe Offhand if they’re not farming…

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Warrior

Posted by: phantomFury.9168

phantomFury.9168

Show me another skill that can heal a Warrior for 13,000+ in a matter of seconds…

Go solo the Champion Risen Giant and let me know how it turns out for you. I know a dual axe Warrior who makes it look easy and whirling axe was a key component. Offhand axe has a place and it isn’t just farming.

in Warrior

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

Show me another skill that can heal a Warrior for 13,000+ in a matter of seconds…

Go solo the Champion Risen Giant and let me know how it turns out for you. I know a dual axe Warrior who makes it look easy and whirling axe was a key component. Offhand axe has a place and it isn’t just farming.

You mean the Champion Risen Giant that has very noticeable attacks and isn’t much of a threat if you know how to dodge? I solo Kholer daily on my Warrior with Axe/Mace.

Axe auto-attack is good enough.

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Warrior

Posted by: pEEtrs.4320

pEEtrs.4320

I recently started war too, after I leveled thief and necro up to 80.

I must now say that Warriors are kings of PvE, no other class can basically melt everything in sight up to 6 levels above character level (even group events).

To your question: No, there’s no point in having Axe in off hand. After some testing, I found setup which pretty much makes PvE quick easy mode for wars. Get Axe / Horn in one slot, GS in 2nd. Get healing signet, signet for cond removal, stability signet, precision standard and signet of rage and you’re all set for anything.

Trait for GS and signets (rest is kinda optional). Get life steal food. Use one rune for swiftness duration (I use 2x Air for that and 4x Divinity for better crit numbers).

- Perma swiftness will make running around less tedious.
– I found nothing better for adrenalin buildup then well placed 100B, as others said, don’t use GS burts, it smells. Swap to Axe and eviscerate (ait bad to use all CDs while you’re on axe/horn and swap back to GS).
– 100B is also one way how to get 25 stacks of might in 3s.

in Warrior

Posted by: azmodeus.3409

azmodeus.3409

gs is king for lvling and pve content, you can still have dual axes for wpn swap whirlwind, or rifle depending on the zone/mobs.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

If you’re not 80 yet, there’s another thing to remember when picking up weapons you can use. If your greatsword dropped later than your axes, chances are it’s for a higher lever character and therefore statistically better than the axes.
To really compare, you’d need axes of the same level and quality as the greatsword.
It sounds obvious, but due to how infrequently weapons your class can actually use drop in PvE, it’s very hard to accurately gauge the differences between weapon types.

Just sayin’.

Edt: Oh yeah, and most of the time, I run with axe/warhorn.
Perma-swiftness is addictive, plus with warhorn skills converting conditions to boons, no other melee weapon offers as great a benefit, even my beloved hammer.
Sure, GS does lots of damage, if things stand still, but axe/warhorn allows me total freedom of movement when activating skills, at top speed with lots of buffs.
Oh, AND lots of damage thanks to frequent crits proccing sigil of rage.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

(edited by Mungrul.9358)

in Warrior

Posted by: Soeki.9643

Soeki.9643

Don’t forget the combo finishers: GS got 2 (1 whirl, 1 projectile) while A/A got 4 (2 whirl, 1 projectile, 1 leap). Not much else to add, pretty much everything was said before. I think the damage difference is not that huge, so if you prefer axes over GS go for them. If not play with GS, both deal lovely damage

in Warrior

ShTuPm.9358

Thanks for all the feedback. I was toying around in the meantime and decided to still go for 2xAxe, since i kinda like how the look and feel. Since i was running around with a hammer for 15 levels before that, the damage from this setup is going to be higher than that anyway. Plus, the damage difference isn’t going to be a deal-breaker for me, since i generally just play by myself doing events and just leveling, with some occasional random sPvP with friends, if the stars are aligned properly :P (also story mode dungeons). Just need to decide on the build (not going for anything optimal, just functional and useful) and i think I’m all set.

Anyway, thanks once again.