Superior vs Furious Sharpening Stones

in Warrior

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

As a roamer, I’ve always taken superior sharpening stones by default because of the straight-up increase to power (and also because they’re inexpensive). But lately I’ve seen more and more people using furious sharpening stones instead. Are the +ferocity and +toughness better than +power?

Borlis Pass solo roamer

(edited by Tien.3865)

in Warrior

Posted by: KhainPride.3987

KhainPride.3987

it should be the better value since u get an additional 100 thoughness

i did test this many times BUT BUT this is good for builds used in meta but if you want ultimate damage, ur better off @ 6% power utility since it scales better with more power and 25 might/25 bloodlust etc.

in Warrior

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

I guess the extra toughness is nice, but honestly I just want more damage, and if the ferocity from furious sharpening stones is better than the power from superior sharpening stones, then I’ll gladly make the switch.

My current build (with superior stones) has:
2553 power
52% crit chance
215% crit damage

With furious stones, this becomes:
2434 power
52% crit chance
225% crit damage

The problem with the furious stone version is that the power is a bit low for my liking. It might be burstier, but I heard that power is better for overall damage than ferocity.

I assume there’s a reason everyone runs furious stones nowadays. Maybe it really is more damage? Or is it just for the bonus toughness?

Borlis Pass solo roamer

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

^ your not wrong about that. but let me ask. Are you running Berserker or Vanilla? Because Berserker Relies on Sudden bursts of damage, while Vanilla requires more overall damage.

in Warrior

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

My current build (with superior stones) has:
2553 power
52% crit chance
215% crit damage

With furious stones, this becomes:
2434 power
52% crit chance
225% crit damage

Damage=(Skill damage * Positive multipliers) / (Armor * Negative multipliers)
Skill Damage=(Weapon strength * Power * Skill coefficient)/ Armor

For our purposes, we only need to calculate:
Weapon strength * Power * Skill coefficient * Positive Multiplier

The only things that will change are power and the multiplier, so we’re going to fix weapon strength and skill coefficient at 1. When factoring crit chance, our calculation is:

((1-Crit Chance) * (Power)) + ((Crit Chance) * (Power) * (Crit Damage))

Superior Stones
(0.48*2553) + (0.52*2553*2.15) = 4079.694

Furious Stones
(0.48*2434) + (0.52*2434*2.25) = 4016.10

Bottom Line
Superior stones appear to be better for your build in every way. The higher damage you get with them (though it’s not much) will also scale further with your other multipliers, it will perform better against things you can’t crit, and (iirc) they’re cheaper than furious stones.

Even with Fury, the superior stones still come out on top. It seems 10% more crit damage just isn’t worth as much as 119 power, even with a high crit chance.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in Warrior

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

If you don’t know how to stack might then ofc superior stone is better xd
#furioussharpeningstone4life

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Posted by: Obindo.6802

Obindo.6802

Furious.

in Warrior

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

sup stones more dmg, Furious less damage.

Furious is for when u want to run zerker like but have 2800 armor.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in Warrior

Choppy.4183

For those saying furious is better, do you have math to support that? Or, put another way, where has my math gone wrong? Seems pretty clear to me that superior is better for him.

As for might, here’s how it comes out with 25 stacks:

Superior Stones
(0.48*3303) + (0.52*3303*2.15) = 5278.194

Furious Stones
(0.48*3184) + (0.52*3184*2.25) = 5253.6

Bottom Line
Even when you maintain 100% uptime of 25 stacks of might, it looks to me that superior comes out on top. But, if you’re also able to maintain 100% uptime of Fury, the furious stones barely squeak ahead to give a mere 0.2% advantage.

So why the love for furious stones?

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Choppy.4183

It’s important to look at the assumptions there. As I mentioned above, the furious stones marginally exceed the damage of superior stones on the OP’s build when he has 100% uptime of Fury and max might stacks.

The author of the post you linked is more or less saying the same thing, with max might and 100% crit chance being needed to attain the 3.09% higher damage on a full zerk-geared toon.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t even guarantee the perma-Fury and full might stacks to get the 0.2%, nevermind what would be needed for the 3.09%. Anything short of that, superior provides more damage that furious.

in Warrior

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I cannot stop using Bountiful on my Stance build even though they are very expensive.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

It’s important to look at the assumptions there. As I mentioned above, the furious stones marginally exceed the damage of superior stones on the OP’s build when he has 100% uptime of Fury and max might stacks.

The author of the post you linked is more or less saying the same thing, with max might and 100% crit chance being needed to attain the 3.09% higher damage on a full zerk-geared toon.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t even guarantee the perma-Fury and full might stacks to get the 0.2%, nevermind what would be needed for the 3.09%. Anything short of that, superior provides more damage that furious.

I dont use furious to get a tiny bit more damage. I use furious cause of the ferocity bonus + toughness bonus. It gives you allot of stats. Furious combined with musselpasta, +70toughness plus 10% damage reduction.
You can convert 10% damage reduction into a passive toughness bonus aswell If you know the math. Its op. Combined with dolyak signet= having 3000 +/- armor while having full zerk armor and trinkets. So even If you hit me, I can hit you harder cause I nerf your damage with 10% on top of the tanky 3000 armor while keeping the full zerk armor and trinkets while I have almost exact the same power precision ferocity like you. Even Obindo say’s furious is better in this topic, and hes the best warrior on planet earth. Good luck to the superior sharpening stone people.

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

(edited by Hoaxintelligence.4628)

in Warrior

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

well it all depends on the cost also.. superior is allot cheaper..

Mussel pasta? ok thats around 60silver to make for 1? no thanx..
Sure 10% dmg reduction sounds nice but there are tons of other options for cheap.
Like mango pie gives 85hps.. it sounds low but this could give you allot more defense if the fights al somewhat longer.
Its not that you get 10k dmg every second.. ppl do burst dmg and then wait some second before engaging again.. so in the end its highly possible that mango pie can give more sustain..

(edited by nicknamenick.2437)

in Warrior

Choppy.4183

So far, the conversation has only been about which of the two yields greater damage in another wise max damage build. On that measure, furious delivers less damage than furious as far as any conditions a wvw roamer is likely to come across.

The extra toughness from furious might be valuable enough on some (high crit chance and power) builds to outweigh the slight decrease in damage (but that would depend on your goals). Other things, like mussel pasta and dolyak runes don’t really factor into the question because they’re completely independent of which stones you use (i.e. there’s no interaction between them).

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

Obino maybe good on warrior but he is pretty bad at math. Following what he says is pretty bad if you don’t check the math yourself.

in Warrior

Obindo.6802

Obino maybe good on warrior but he is pretty bad at math. Following what he says is pretty bad if you don’t check the math yourself.

No, I’m not bad at maths?…

(edited by Obindo.6802)

in Warrior

nicknamenick.2437

Its pretty obvious.. superior gives slighty better dmg output compared to furious..
But furious gives toughness also.. so in the end furious is better..
But furious is ALLOT more expensive!! so in general Superior > Furious for most players except those who have the gold.

Obindo is a good player for sure, i have done some duels in the past vs him.. won some but in general he won more.. i cant focus very well every fight :-P we had so many good warriors in the past.. many left :-(
and some that think they are good because of WvW making videos about 1v3 (vs wvw nubs) and think they rock… these are the warrior players that are pretty known by most because of youtube/twitch.. but in pvp-duels (so no million wvw buffs etc) they often suck pretty hard.

in Warrior

Obindo.6802

Its pretty obvious.. superior gives slighty better dmg output compared to furious..
But furious is ALLOT more expensive!! so in general Superior > Furious for most players except those who have the gold.

Obindo is a good player for sure, i have done some duels in the past vs him.. won some but in general he won more.. i cant focus very well every fight :-P we had so many good warriors in the past.. many left :-(
and some that think they are good because of WvW making videos about 1v3 (vs wvw nubs) and think they rock… these are the warrior players that are pretty known by most because of youtube/twitch.. but in pvp-duels (so no million wvw buffs etc) they often suck pretty hard.

You won some? Right… Everyone says that. Maybe it then was when I only had 6 months in the game, 4 being PvE. Atm I only have 1.5 yrs. Every person I ask will say they rek me 10-0 yet I dont remember ever loosing to them and I rarely do and then I win every round. Pretty funny

in Warrior

Posted by: KhainPride.3987

KhainPride.3987

wow guys

its simple, u roam and you want the most stats, furious.

you wana do the most dmg? superior sharpening stones

There is a drop off with critical damage EVEN WHILE assuming 100% critical chance after certain amount of power(not roaming power, im talking 3.8k~4.2k, which i normally have when zerg busting on my dps warrior)

(edited by KhainPride.3987)

in Warrior

nicknamenick.2437

You won some? Right… Everyone says that. Maybe it then was when I only had 6 months in the game, 4 being PvE. Atm I only have 1.5 yrs. Every person I ask will say they rek me 10-0 yet I dont remember ever loosing to them and I rarely do and then I win every round. Pretty funny

lol, wow your mad? haha
Yeah i did won some like i say, you maby better now because i almost never play anymore (not even these last months) but back in those days you did lost from me, and now your salty? from the looks of your post you are haha.
Didnt know you created that much Ego around yourself in such a short time haha.
dont be a kitten Obindo like most players turn into and think they are the best (like the korean guy stating he is the number #1 warrior while he resisted a duel against me lol.

Ps, i even give you credits for saying your good player, then you reply with so much salt. that Ego issnt good for anyone.

in Warrior

Obindo.6802

lol, wow your mad? haha
Yeah i did won some like i say, you maby better now because i almost never play anymore (not even these last months) but back in those days you did lost from me, and now your salty? from the looks of your post you are haha.
dont be a kitten Obindo like most players turn into and think they are the best (like the korean guy stating he is the number #1 warrior while he resisted a duel against me lol.

Ps, i even give you credits for saying your good player, then you reply with so much salt. that Ego issnt good for anyone.

Uhm, no? I’m not mad? Nor am I salty. You don’t need to spew said hostile claims in order to be exempt from reason, it’s really just embaressing, you just sound like a “I kitten ur mom every night” 12 yr old

I just thought it was funny how people take any opportunity to say they beat me cuz they won me when I was new to the game, which u made an exmaple of. I never said I’m the best? altho I wouldn’t deny the compliment. I’m up for a duel unlike that Korean guy if u want.

Your stupidity isn’t good for anyone.

(edited by Obindo.6802)

in Warrior

nicknamenick.2437

lol, wow your mad? haha

Uhm, no? I’m not mad? Nor am I salty. You don’t need to spew said hostile claims in order to be exempt from reason, it’s really just embaressing, you just sound like a “I kitten ur mom every night” 12 yr old

I just thought it was funny how people take any opportunity to say they beat me cuz they won me when I was new to the game, which u made an exmaple of. I never said I’m the best? altho I wouldn’t deny the compliment. I’m up for a duel unlike that Korean guy if u want.

giving credits and i never ever used an opportunity to say i beat you (not even now, read it again if you misread it), yet you reply with: “you won some? right..”
The ego is dripping of that sentence for so much…
Following by your words: “everyone says that” to even boost your ego more.. and then you speak about reason? uhm ok.. atleast back in those days you hadnt that much ego compared to now, wow lol. and now you talk about 12 years old arguments.
yeah ok well good luck boosting your ego Obindo, like i say before, your good warrior, take that as a compliment and dont be salty if you lost some in the past. and i would be happy to do a duel with you again for sure if i am online again.

now go make more vids about wrecking nubs in wvw XD

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

Not exactly. If something is flat out better, than its better under all scenarios. Its not better in a DPS test. And the difference between 2700 armor and 2800 “100 toughness” is probably only measurable in a scientific study.

The only people that should even consider using Furious shatpening stones are players with 2500+ power 50%+ crit chance and Ferocity on every piece of gear. If thats not the case for your build than Furious isn’t even worth using.

If you are not 2500+ Power 50% Crit and Ferocity on every pieve of gear than you don’t meet the Criteria of being full Zerk or Zerk like.

in Warrior

Obindo.6802

lol, wow your mad? haha

giving credits and i never ever used an opportunity to say i beat you (not even now, read it again if you misread it), yet you reply with: “you won some? right..”
Following by your words: “everyone says that” to even boost your ego more.. and then you speak about reason? uhm ok.. atleast back in those days you hadnt that much ego compared to now, wow lol. and now you talk about 12 years old arguments.
yeah ok well good luck boosting your ego Obindo, like i say before, your good warrior, take that as a compliment and dont be salty if you lost some in the past. and i would be happy to do a duel with you again for sure if i am online again.

What ego? ofc, u’ll avoid further reason and continue spewing ego cuz it’ll easily be tilted towards a subjective matter. Just like u continue saying salty like the average degenerate u find on the internet.

in Warrior

nicknamenick.2437

lol, wow your mad? haha

What ego? ofc, u’ll avoid further reason and continue spewing ego cuz it’ll easily be tilted towards a subjective matter. Just like u continue saying salty like the average degenerate u find on the internet.

Yeah uhm ok i was gonna type why and when and yada yada, but if you read it back from the moment you did a comment about my more of a less credit to you was pretty salty in my eyes. the words you then use is really selfish minded. ofc you dont see it that way because else you wouldnt even giving that reaction to a compliment..

Good luck then.

in Warrior

nicknamenick.2437

Not exactly. If something is flat out better, than its better under all scenarios. Its not better in a DPS test. And the difference between 2700 armor and 2800 “100 toughness” is probably only measurable in a scientific study.

The only people that should even consider using Furious shatpening stones are players with 2500+ power 50%+ crit chance and Ferocity on every piece of gear. If thats not the case for your build than Furious isn’t even worth using.

If you are not 2500+ Power 50% Crit and Ferocity on every pieve of gear than you don’t meet the Criteria of being full Zerk or Zerk like.

Hello Warlord, your right, but the OP started with:

As a roamer….

And roamers often have some defensive stats (toughness) so for those players it could be allot different compared to full berserker (bers stats) ppl..

In the end it doesnt really matter that much, and def. (cant be sayed about the pricetag.. lol)

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

Thing is as a roamer thats a tough question to answer because a lot of builds, and even Gear Mix work for roaming.