Support Warriors

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Khasalianus.8610

Khasalianus.8610

So my wife really loved playing healers and support characters back when we used to play WoW, and in fact her favorite toon was a holy paladin. Well, she’s wanting to play something similar in GW2, but recognizes that there are no dedicated healers. But she still enjoys healing when she can and loves buffing and support, and still wearing heavy armor if possible, but isn’t a fan of the Guardian class.

Thus my question is, can the Warrior be built as a heavy support/healer type character and still be viable? What sort of build would be required to achieve this and what weapons would be best to use?

“That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.” – Twilight of the Idols
- Friedrich Nietzsche -

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Kendu Kuzal.3985

Kendu Kuzal.3985

Been wondering the same thing, and this is what I’ve come up with:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIMQNApeSjkOtuJPOPMxBE0DtAMuCThfI9gMGw0A;TEBA1ytEaJ1StlSLKbM2IsxajzGpNrJGbcc45wcCA

Copy and past that link into your browser.

Offers tons of health, heals, lots of crowd control. Could also switch up the shout abilities with banners. Good team utilities.

Mace/Shield primary with Hammer secondary.

Check it out, let me know what you think.

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Aurodus.2068

Aurodus.2068

i play with this build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIMQNAR8enkO08YUQKPwEZAA9wqr2SVwu0DyQLNA;TwAgzCmouxcj4G7Nubk3sCZEyug5EA
0-0-30-30-10
full cleric set,
lot of aoe heal, good dmg with gs, some cc and protect with shield
dwayana rune in armor + signet mastery + healing signet – regen for pty every 16 sec,
shout heal + reduce cd shout + 3 shout skills = 6k heal for pty every 20(25) s,
signet mastery+rage signet + 30 traits in discipline = cd 48s, boon duration 39 s for might, fury, swiftnes

for more support u can swith weapon leaching sigil to sigil of hydromancy for aoe stun

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

With a full set of Superior Rune of the Soldier (at 65th+) for AoE condition removal and Healing Shouts trait from 30pts in Tactics, you’ve got a solid amount of group support with any Shout utility power that you’re using. Combine that with the (3) low recast timer Shouts and the Lung Capacity trait from 20pts in Tactics for maximum effect.

An AoE buffing Shout build normally focuses on 30 pts in Tactics. Beyond that, it’s rather flexible. Normally you’d want at least 20+ pts in Defense for the +Healing and defensive stat benefits. Otherwise it’s pretty much up to personal taste.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Kendu Kuzal.3985

Where is Superior Rune of the Soldier? I see Sup. Rune of the Fighter under power that offers power/tough and 20 might on every healing skill. I used Sup. Run of Dolyak which gives, Tough/Vit and a gain on health regen.

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Kendu Kuzal.3985

I like your Build Aurodus. I think on mine I’ll switch to the cleric’s jewel across the board, but keep the Dolyak suit. Keeps me at 28k HP – 3320 Attack and 3687 Armor. Gives me about 950 Healing Power.

I’ll stick with the Mace and Shield though for CC. Not sure what to do about secondary. It’s hammer atm, but could probably do GS or a ranged. I like rifle because you get a ranged cripple and vulnerability shot.

(edited by Kendu Kuzal.3985)

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Aurodus.2068

dolyak regen is too low only 30hp/s, soldier dwayna or water is better imo

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Kendu Kuzal.3985

Nvm, found soldier.. And that looks like where I’ll be looking to spec.

Here is the revised build after seeing your aurodus:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIMQNApeUnkOEFcyDOPwEZAA9QLwuyU4n0DyQLNA;TEBA1ymEMJZS1kiJqsMZJyymlLLZWrQGhcc45wcDA

(edited by Kendu Kuzal.3985)

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Sami.1560

Sami.1560

Your build is invalid – the amulet is for sPvP. Ignore that part of the builder as it’s quite confusing and doesn’t make sense. So long as you know that your stats won’t go quite that high then it’s okay.

Drop the leeching sigils as well – the rifle will rarely be used and you don’t want to swap out your melee weapons for a 1k heal when the shouts already heal more than that.

Put Sigil of Life on the off-hand. Racking up 25 stacks is easy (it triggers “on kill”, not on killing blow), giving +250 healing power. On the main hand… yeah good luck, there aren’t really any truly defensive sigils. On the Rifle I would personally put the 100% crit chance sigil on there for the times when you’re switching to use Kill Shot. Switch and get a guaranteed crit with one of the hardest hitting abilities.

Finally, healing signet doesn’t cut it for a main tank. The shouts will provide additional heals, but you need a big spike to keep you alive when the boss focuses its attention on you for longer than shield stance lasts for. Healing Surge with healing power gear heals for an insane amount when you have full adrenaline (and you don’t really need to use it). You could take Mending, but it heals for less and you already have condition removal from the shouts.

edit: if going support, you also want the elite banner as it also acts as res for downed players when summoned (not defeated players though).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNApeUncO08YyDSBhDZAA9QLwuyU4n0jyQLNA;TgAqsMZJyymlLLZWLOmNA

(edited by Sami.1560)

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Kendu Kuzal.3985

Very very helpful Sami. I appreciate you checking that out. Makes perfect sense. The warrior GS builds just got very boring very quick and I really wanted something different. What do you think about Sigil of Water on Mainhand just as a small boost to those nearby?

I’m still getting used to all sigils and skills (I’m only level 35 but thinking towards endgame) and didn’t realize that there was one for 100% crit on switch.. That justifies the rifle even more for me.

Yes, meant to add the elite banner.. I’ve just been evolving a build I thought of yesterday and missed that

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Aurodus.2068

comon not invalid but need grind into beauty

yap soldier + healing surge works better, i use healing signet because dwayana rune and need fast use heal for max effect from rune.

Soon i will test karma armor (pow, tough, vit) + soldier rune – lot of vit and 10 traits in tactict with bersekr power for more dmg, i can lose signet mastery and signet healing because no more dwayna.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIMQNAR8encO08YUQKPwEZAA9wqr2yUoo0DyQLNA;TwAgzCmoyyklILbWuskZtCZEyug5EA

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Quam.7218

Quam.7218

I’ve tested the support Warrior and two things came to my attention one is the “Shout Support Warrior” witch I found… not really my playstyle, the build was similar to Aurodus.2068 and other builds.

The second one Was “Banner Support Warrior” wich I found more amusing (for my playstyle).

The build goes like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQRBMhl21IpTzbAkFEOcAA9wqr2yUQo0jwYbNA

You can modify it as You want but 40% (10% banner) more Boon Duration keeps You perma-regeneration near banners. Combine it with Cleric armor, runes etc. And You got can be a great support in the party.

To your weapon set it really depends on the fight, You have to chose it wisely before a boss or some other event, but Warhorns (Tactics IX) is a really nice party booster to speed, vigor and taking down immobilize/slow from party in addition it converts conditions to boons, “Shake if Off!” is nice in heavy condition fights but sometimes I just take something else like Bolas for a 4 second(!) immobilize it really depends.

Mace + Shield is usefull for many many situations, when I’m out of endurance and do a “Stun Breaker” + “Shield Stance”. I also like “Defence V” to reflect the missiles back to mobs witch is extra damage to them, sometimes condition or cc.

Axe + Warhorn is the second weapon set, Axe is a good damage output, and the throwable slow “3” can be a life saver. Warhorn for condition migration and your party endurance refiller.

When range is needed I chance one to Bow or Rifle it depends on bosses mobility. If I need Shield more than Warhorn for a range fight i chose “Tactics 1” for tacrics “9” And take Bolas now I can stop the boss from moving more effective.

With weapon set You have to experiment to find what is good for You or the situation Your in.

For healing i like mending more. Banner Regeneration + Adrenal Health are allready good and in a heavy condition fight it is great.

For Elite, the banner ofc gets players up from downstate grands great boons.

Dungeons are not static fight in wich 1 build, 1 weapon set is good, You have to be flexible and after knowing what awaits You pick up the right weapons/utility etc.

(edited by Quam.7218)

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Sami.1560

Sami.1560

You don’t need 2 utility banners for banner regen – the tooltips are bugged and the banners actually last 90 seconds each and have a 96 second cooldown when traited. So it’s only 6 seconds between the banner vanishing and the new one being planted. As it applies regeneration in 4s bursts, you only have 2s of regen downtime.

That, and the banner bonuses are really, really poor

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: kandolo.2574

kandolo.2574

Tactics Banner paired with Rune of Dwayna is a great combination. Tactics Banner will make everyone’s personal heal hit for more and all boons last a little longer. Longbow and Hammer bring two reliable blast finishers every 10 seconds and picking up your banner gives you access to a third. You can push out a lot of boons and healing depending on what combo fields your group is dropping. Best part is, this only requires 10 points in Tactics for improved Banners.

Ranger’s Healing Spring with a Longbow/Hammer/Banner warrior is incredibly fun and effective.

Support Warriors

in Warrior

Posted by: Quam.7218

Quam.7218

@kandolo.2574 almost forgot about the Blast Finisher! Is gives all near party members greast unique boons.

They purpose is not for regen but the different buff types only. Like I said this is only an “example” You could give ur party Discipline and Tactics banner. Discipline alone is 4% crit chance + 10% crit damage (also from “2” an 8 second Fury).

Remember that this is not WoW and You are NOT the only one supporting Your team. If You are threated like a “only” healer/support than good luck with ur repair bill.

If You have 30% boon duration You will have 40% if You have 30% crit damage You will have 40%, if You have 46% crit chance You will have 50%.

If there numers are poor than don’t play with banners

Also if chased and got everything on CD You grab a banner (need to remember You will waste like 1 second to pick up) “4” to run the hell away from what is chasing You :P (all the autotargeting options should be off or You will autorun to the mob and not where You are facing…)

Be creative when You play

(edited by Quam.7218)