Sword/Axe is it...

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

viable? And if so, where? (Dungeon/PvP/ or WvW)?

Right now, esp. in dungeons I run GS w S/M, the vuln on Mace 4 is wonderful, just wondering if axe 4/5 can match up.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

(edited by DresdenAllblack.1249)

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: Zeghart.9841

Zeghart.9841

The general consensus is that axe offhand is underperforming in pretty much every area.

5 is usually a dps loss unless you’re hitting at least 5 enemies, and 4 does mediocre damage and grants fury, a boon that is easily obtainable in other ways.

It doesn’t offer any utility, and doesn’t output enough damage to make it worth it. Especially when the competition is Sword, Mace, Shield and Warhorn, which all excel at either damage or utility.

It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime.
What better place than here? What better time than now?

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: Cortano.5419

Cortano.5419

Axe off-hand isn’t as bad as people make out.

Axe-4 can hit 3 targets, for 2 times each… which is 18 sec of fury on a 12 sec timer. You aren’t always hitting 3 targets, GS gets fury for free, and you might have the shout or signet, or tactics and get it on cripples… but if you don’t, it’s a decent talent.

Axe-5 is a whirl finisher, hits targets all around rather than just a front cone, and can rapidly fill an addren bar. It’s OK.

They aren’t so much worse that they aren’t viable; just not optimal. My gut feeling is that if the placement of the GS and axe talents were reversed, axe would look a lot more attractive. Axe isn’t so much weak because it’s innately bad; it’s just that the GS has an overpowered-talent supporting it in a otherwise sucky spot.

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

No. Offhand Axe is bad everywhere. Fury is easy to get in more effective ways than what offhand Axe can provide and Axe #5 does terrible damage. I don’t recommend ever using offhand Axe unless you want to do it for aesthetic purposes or just because you particularly enjoy it. This is a video game after all and I think it’s important to play something if you like playing it.

If we’re strictly talking whether it’s good or bad however, it is bad.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Fair enough, I’ll stick with mace.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Axe is good in niche situations if you are running phalanx strength with fried dumplings, and use axe 5 against multiple targets to be able to stack a big amount of might in a really short time.
Other than that mace offhand is superior

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: ScionKai.4907

ScionKai.4907

Axe #4 needs protection or aegis instead of fury… Or something. Axe #5 needs a reflect trait or damage buff.

Sword/Axe is it...

in Warrior

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

A couple gimmick builds exist that use offhand axe in sPvP/WvW, you might want to check this one out:

http://intothemists.com/guides/5777-the_finisher

But in general, you can do far better with any other offhand.