Sword PvE build?

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: Lupinus.6783

Lupinus.6783

Im not experienced GW2 player. Also I know that axe/axe or mace + GS might still be best PvE dps build, but I don’t like the “feeling” of axe/mace builds.. also GS has had its time and I would like to find something new.

I haven’t found any sword/sword or sword/shield + rifle/LB builds and I would like to try one. What do you think about 0 / 30 / 0 / 10 / 30 build? 30 points in arms and discipline and 10 in tactics? This is for PvE dungeons, would it work?

30 points in arms: rending strikes (or deep cuts), Blademaster, Furious
30 points in discipline: Signet Mastery, Warrior’s sprint, Heightened focus
10 points in tactics: empowered allies

I should use sword/sword to get bleeds in. Also I would use Knight / Berserker gear to get high crit% to get even more bleeds from Precise Strikes. I should change to rifle/LB a lot, dodge back and do some range damage. For trash mobs LB and bosses rifle. Both of those weapons have attacks that do bleed condition so I could keep those stacks up. Also rifle got vulnerability, which I could also keep up with trait Rending Strikes. With those traits from discipline Im also stacking Might when Im changing weapons a lot and I also would have For Great Justice and Signet of Rage utilities to get Might.

I know that axe build use same traits only changing arms to strength, but would this build also work in PvE dungeons? When you use swords and get those arms trait you will get +10% to sword crit, +10% damage to swords (from minor trait Attack of Opportunity), Burst skills would have +10% crit ( minor trait Critical Burst) and also your critical hits would make your target more vulnerable (Rending Strikes). Also whit that build you will have Furious major trait which will give you tripe adrenaline when you crit, you will have 25% swiftness with melee weapons (trait Warriors Sprint). These compared to Axe builds.

When this build you could be ranged and get back to melee quite fast with Savage Leap, make few bleeds, one Final Trust and dodge away to change back to rifle/LB, shoot few seconds and change back to sword/sword when savage leap and final trust is back and again leap to melee. Repeat that.

I think sword/sword could be more mobile than Axe/Mace build. Also you would run faster with Warriors Sprint. Also you be faster in melee range with savage leap so you would have more time to do DPS than with Axe/Mace + rifle/LB builds. Also with sword F1 attack Flurry could be great agains trash to get hem faster down. With Furious major trait and high crit% you would get that adrenaline back quite fast.

What do you think? Im not experienced in this game. Just hitted L80 so I would like to have some feedback from more experienced players. Maybe someone who has been playing sword builds could also advice me.

Questions:
1. would this be viable build for PvE dungeons and would I be too kitten versus Axe builds?
2. What gear should I use? Im using Knight at the moment to train…ok?
3. Should I use Rending Strikes or Deep guts in this kind of sword DPS build?

I know this build has been represented before and I don’t want to say I have found it… just wanted to ask would it work.

Thanks!

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

sword has too littel aoes for high level content.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Lupinus.6783

Hmmm.. But With Sword F1 strike You Can m
make aoe. Also With bow. You Can change bow/ranged To GS To get aoe. S/S + GS when You need aoe, and s/s + rifle/LB when ranged is needed. Ofcourse shield can sometimes be usefully.

so only response is that sword builds can’t be used in end game because it don’t have aoe? Warriors only use axe/GS?….quite boring if that’s the case :/

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: THEmeltor.7295

THEmeltor.7295

I run (and have run) a Sword/X and Longbow build for the entirety of my Warrior’s playtime.

It’s a really solid weapon that works great no matter which direction you decide to take it…in fact, Longbow works that way as well. They are both really good hybrid weapons.

So you can easily roll a ‘berserker’ type Warrior using Sword. Your auto-attacks will hit for solid damage and Final Thrust (much easier to land in PvE) can pump out some serious damage. Longbow is great as a power weapon as well. Arcing Shot hits like a truck.

OOOOooorrr you can go straight condition warrior, stacking massive amounts of bleeds via Sword and using Longbow for AoE burns, etc.

Orrrr you can run something like what I do, which is a little bit of both. Power sits anywhere from 1800-2000, Crit. Chance is upwards of 85% with Fury, crit damage sits between 50-65 depending on spec and equipment, condition damage varies between 800-1000, again, depending on specs, might stacks, etc.

I really enjoy the playstyle and skills of the Sword. I don’t know what the previous poster is talking about when mentioning that it has no AoE…it cleaves, like all Warrior weapons do.

If you’re running Knights, you likely won’t need Heightened Focus unless you absolutely need that 15% crit chance for whatever reason. Sword already gets an extra 10% crit over most other weapons with the Blademaster trait. And it seems you’re focusing more on pure damage than conditions so I would suggest taking Rending Strikes over Deep Cuts…you won’t need the extra bleed time as you should pretty much already always have bleeds up on a target, and since they aren’t doing significant damage you’re better suited added the vulnerability.

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Lupinus.6783

Thanks for great answer!

could you give me little bit more information about your build. You are also using 0/30/0/10/30 build? What do you take instead of heightened focus, that better and faster burst damage trait? In discipline, you’re also using warrior sprint and signet mastery? How about that last arms trait, you take furious?

and would you also tell me more about your gear choice’s…im using now knight armor with ruby orbs and amulets’ + rings are berserkers. Also weapons are berserker. Viable choice could be full berserket or ravagets geat? Have you tested those? What do you like the most?

I don’t need any maths, only someone’s feeling how it seems to work in dungeons. Ofcourse maths can be included if someone have time

and thanks again THEmeltor!

(edited by Lupinus.6783)

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: Veritas.6071

Veritas.6071

I’ve run full serkers and rampagers with sword. I preferred serkers. You don’t have to worry about competing with other players for the bleed cap, and you’ll get better returns from your high crit damage and % damage traits. I liked the rampager’s too, but serkers was absolutely nasty with that high crit chance, power and crit damage.

Ve·ri·tas [English ver-i-tahs] A Latin noun meaning Truth.

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Bumping because I’d be curious about more sword-using builds, myself. I dislike the greatsword and find the axe boring if servicable, so more variety is definitely welcome.

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I’ll post the sword/shield & bow build that I run. It’s isn’t perfect (and still trying to decide on what jewelry and sigil to finalize on) but I’ve used it since launch.

0/30/30/0/10
Arms (Deep Cuts, Blademaster, Furious)
Defense (Shield Master, Cleansing Ire, Defy Pain)
Discipline (Signet Mastery)

Utils: (Healing Signet, FGJ, Signet of Fury, Signet of Stamina [or Dolyak Signet], Signet of Rage)

I use knight’s armor with 6 runes of the Dolyak, Sigil of Fire on my sword, currently:

Sigil of Bloodlust on my shield (thinking of changing this over to Corruption after the recent sword changes) and getting a 2nd shield with either (Sigil of Agony/Accuracy/Force I need to sit down and crunch some numbers at some point). I think for my bow I’m going to settle on Sigil of Blood.

It’s not the best, but it’s what I like. I was gonna post my own thread once I had some free time to sit down and crunch the numbers and ask what was a better option for jewelry/weapon stats and sigils.

For the most part it feels pretty tanky, and has a decent hp/sec recovery (between dolyak runes, healing sig, and adrenal healing). And furious and signet of furry keep my adrenaline up even after I burst, letting me keep the extra healing and do damage. The biggest annoyance is using shield block right after defy pain kicks.

Though cleansing ire with both the sword and bow are great (and I prefer Sig of Stamina for the extra cleanse/more dodge if necessary).

Sword PvE build?

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

sorry but gs/lb is better aoe. ive been playing dual sword from 1~70 because i loved swords but when i changed to gs i had no intention to get back to swords,pve wise gs is so much superior in anyways from damage to survibility.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748