Sword and Hammer Need Reworks Badly...

in Warrior

Posted by: Girth.9731

Girth.9731

In my opinion, these two weapons, both seeing almost no play anywhere in the game, really need to be redesigned.

Let’s start with hammer.

Oh how hammer has fallen. Once a feared weapon in sPvP, the hammer was a great weapon for CCing multiple targets on point while at the same time doing respectable damage. With the release of HoT however, nearly every class now has access to plenty of stability and stun breaks. This, combined with the laughably bad skill Rupturing Smash, has made hammer almost unless in sPvP.

Even more painful yet, the sword.

The most iconic weapon of the warrior is ironically the most underwhelming one. The autoattack chain is pathetic, savage leap is essentially irrelevant since cripple is not nearly as useful as it once was, and final thrust, while powerful, is clunky and feels totally out of place. Don’t even get me started on the sword’s burst skills… cough no damage cough

In short, I know that these weapons aren’t totally unplayable, I just find them very lackluster since HoT’s release. I hope Anet takes the time to rethink and rework these weapons as to make them more playable and fun.

in Warrior

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

…snip…

Not all weapons shine in all game modes… it sucks, but that’s the reality.

The 1-h sword is awesome in PvE with a hybrid-build. The AA does more condi damage than the necro scepter when you’re fighting more than one enemy. Savage leap is better for closing the distance and enacting leap finishers. Final thrust is admittedly only useful against stationary targets – so pretty exclusively PvE-worthy there. Impale lets you stack torment while you’re doing other things. Riposte is a fast-cooldown block that rocks against ranged attacks, since ranged attacks don’t end the block. If you go berzerker, then you also get a lot of fire damage with your burst. 1-h sword rocks in PvE…. so if it sucks in PvP, oh well… as I started this post, not all weapons are good in all modes.

As far as the hammer, I’ve fallen out of love with it… and that makes me sad ’cause that was one of the huge draws to get me to try Warrior.

~EW

in Warrior

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Sword would be an awesome condi/direct damage hybrid weapon… if only Flaming Flurry didn’t miss most of its hits on a moving target.

Another sad thing is that Sword benefits tremendously from the Arms lineup, but that means giving up either Defense or Discipline.

in Warrior

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Sword will be good imo IF

Final thrust execute faster and dash forward a small distance.

Auto chain skill 3 also bleed or deal bonus damage to bleeding foe as now it is the worst skill within the chain.

in Warrior

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Final Thrust should have a condi component added to it, like it takes all the bleeds you put on and converts them to direct damage so you dont have to wait for them to tick down.

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

I think Final thrust would be fine if it had a much shorter cast. its already super close range. Leap in with savage leap then Final thrust. Or if you could cast it during movement for the same effect.

in Warrior

Posted by: Selfrighteous.2931

Selfrighteous.2931

As iconic sword for warrior is, it shouldn’t be a condtion weapon…

in Warrior

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

And again people complains exclusively about PVP balance… Starting to see why Anet guts classes on PVE with only PVP concerns in mind.

in Warrior

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

And again people complains exclusively about PVP balance… Starting to see why Anet guts classes on PVE with only PVP concerns in mind.

Care to share which ones?

They nerfed ele healing because of raids, they nerfed ele conjure weapons because of world bosses and dungeons. The nerfed rifle warrior because of WvW and etc etc etc.

This last patch they basically nerfed everything due to raids and partly WvW. So how did PvP effect these changes?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

In terms of the Hammer: Don’t hate the player, hate the game.
In other words hammer is A GREAT WEAPON….just the game changed and made it obsolete.
The only way ur gonna get around this is a complete redesign of the weapon….and thats not gonna happen.
Hammer is dead yo. It will stay dead.
Headbutt is the new warrior hammer….which is kinda funny but its true.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in Warrior

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

…snip…

Not all weapons shine in all game modes… it sucks, but that’s the reality.

The 1-h sword is awesome in PvE with a hybrid-build. The AA does more condi damage than the necro scepter when you’re fighting more than one enemy. Savage leap is better for closing the distance and enacting leap finishers. Final thrust is admittedly only useful against stationary targets – so pretty exclusively PvE-worthy there. Impale lets you stack torment while you’re doing other things. Riposte is a fast-cooldown block that rocks against ranged attacks, since ranged attacks don’t end the block. If you go berzerker, then you also get a lot of fire damage with your burst. 1-h sword rocks in PvE…. so if it sucks in PvP, oh well… as I started this post, not all weapons are good in all modes.

As far as the hammer, I’ve fallen out of love with it… and that makes me sad ’cause that was one of the huge draws to get me to try Warrior.

~EW

As you mentioned, sword #3 is lackluster and should apply some conditions instead of a power dmg attack.
Hammer was good, but now it is just to slow for all game modes.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Warrior

Selfrighteous.2931

I still don’t understand this condition warrior and I never will. I know that this game supports such thing as a condition warrior, but seriously show me any other fantasy concept of warrior that kills you slowly by bleeding you to death…

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

I still don’t understand this condition warrior and I never will. I know that this game supports such thing as a condition warrior, but seriously show me any other fantasy concept of warrior that kills you slowly by bleeding you to death…

Guild Wars 1: Cleave Bleeder
It was a popular build for a time where the warrior would cleave you you health with every bleed stack. keep in mind, in that game the cleave effect (deep wound) basically limited the amount of hp you could heal. So if you were at 100% and the warrior hit you down to 90% your max hp was now 90% for a few seconds… What the Cleave bleeder did was stack this effect with the conditions, which meant that it would continually cleave you for small amounts that kept resetting the cleave effect. so your opponent watched their max HP whither away to nothing.

(edited by emkelly.2371)

in Warrior

EphemeralWallaby.7643

As you mentioned, sword #3 is lackluster and should apply some conditions instead of a power dmg attack.

I’m quite okay with it doing a power damage attack. Even if it applied conditions, the slow wind-up means it’s still only good vs stationary targets… which is a problem in non-PvE content (except against downed opponents, maybe?).

If I were to buff it, it’d be one of the following: 1) you can move while it’s casting (iirc you can’t), 2) it casts quicker, or 3) it does extra damage for each stack of bleeding on your target OR each unique condition on your target.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

in Warrior

Selfrighteous.2931

Guild Wars 1: Cleave Bleeder
It was a popular build for a time where the warrior would cleave you you health with every bleed stack. keep in mind, in that game the cleave effect (deep wound) basically limited the amount of hp you could heal. So if you were at 100% and the warrior hit you down to 90% your max hp was now 90% for a few seconds… What the Cleave bleeder did was stack this effect with the conditions, which meant that it would continually cleave you for small amounts that kept resetting the cleave effect. so your opponent watched their max HP whither away to nothing.

Yes I’ve said this game. Gw 2 follows Gw1, it’s the same universe. But I was talking about a warrior concept as a whole… You won’t read/see in any other fantasy depicturing warrior as fighter who slowly kills their enemies by bleeding them to death. And I’m not saying gw universe can’t have their condition warrior, It’s just that sword ( as mentioned) an iconic weapon of a warrior, should rather be a flat dmg weapon than bleeding applying skin scratcher.

Overall from subjective perspective I don’t like condition warrior concept at all, but people opinions differ which is acceptable. That’s why I would rather have in a game like gw2 which has so much customization different working flat dmg and condition builds, srsly bow/mace condition please : /. And I know GS is getting more viable now, which is good, but that headbutt skill # sigh.

(edited by Selfrighteous.2931)

in Warrior

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Yes I’ve said this game. Gw 2 follows Gw1, it’s the same universe. But I was talking about a warrior concept as a whole… You won’t read/see in any other fantasy depicturing warrior as fighter who slowly kills their enemies by bleeding them to death.

That’s because none of them are awesome enough to have what we have…
…a WOODEN SWORD!!! O.O

(death by splinters is a horrible way to go)

~EW
(image from the wiki)

Attachments:

in Warrior

Selfrighteous.2931

Yes I’ve said this game. Gw 2 follows Gw1, it’s the same universe. But I was talking about a warrior concept as a whole… You won’t read/see in any other fantasy depicturing warrior as fighter who slowly kills their enemies by bleeding them to death.

That’s because none of them are awesome enough to have what we have…
…a WOODEN SWORD!!! O.O

(death by splinters is a horrible way to go)

~EW
(image from the wiki)

lol

in Warrior

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

What other games do aren’t relevant to a discussion on what this game does. I don’t know how condition warrior fares, but the condition Zerker is quite good IMO.

in Warrior

Selfrighteous.2931

What other games do aren’t relevant to a discussion on what this game does. I don’t know how condition warrior fares, but the condition Zerker is quite good IMO.

It’s not about the other games but concept of warrior in fantasy at all … but whatever, I’ve never argued gw can’t have their condition warrior.

in Warrior

Obtena.7952

OK, but that doesn’t really mean that there is a problem with sword as it’s realized for warriors. It’s clear to me that most of the people QQing about sword haven’t attempted to play a condition zerker with it … and they are missing out. So their underlying experience to claim it’s deficient is lacking.

in Warrior

EphemeralWallaby.7643

OK, but that doesn’t really mean that there is a problem with sword as it’s realized for warriors. It’s clear to me that most of the people QQing about sword haven’t attempted to play a condition zerker with it … and they are missing out. So their underlying experience to claim it’s deficient is lacking.

Agreed. One can’t take whatever build they run with, slot a new weapon, and expect it to work well. When one’s build is tailored to the weapon, that’s when you really see what the weapon can do.

~EW

in Warrior

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Who here remembers the days where Final Thrust was at the end of the AA chain? That’s the sword I loved back then and I do kinda want that back ;;,

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in Warrior

Selfrighteous.2931

But the thing is that one handed sword as it is now, is neither falt dmg weapon nor condition weapon, but more like useless combination of both.. I could imagine 2 different types of swords… somth like rapier for cond. and sword for flat dmg. But that won’t happen right…

in Warrior

Obtena.7952

But the thing is that one handed sword as it is now, is neither falt dmg weapon nor condition weapon, but more like useless combination of both.. I could imagine 2 different types of swords… somth like rapier for cond. and sword for flat dmg. But that won’t happen right…

That’s just a lack of understanding on your part; sword does both flat damage and conditions, not neither. That’s not a mistake either … it’s by design because you can’t make a “JUST” condition damage warrior/berzerker without having a good portion of your overall damage being direct damage, whether you like it or not. Why do you think Runes of the Berzerker exist, buffing condi and direct damage similarly? Because devs thought it would ‘be cool’ to do it? No, because it’s how the class is designed to play in ‘condition damage’ mode.

So no, in a way you are right … you aren’t going to get a sword for direct damage and another version with condi … because that would result in a set of weapons that ignore a significant part of what those particular weapons have to offer based on how the class is designed.

Just look at the whole Arms traitline if you aren’t convinced that I’m right. That line SCREAMS give me a sword that applies bleeds. If you choose the right traits in that line and know how to balance your stats, then sword as it’s designed makes a whole lot of sense and has exceptional performance as an hybrid weapon it was designed to be.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Warrior

Posted by: WWWWWWWW.6742

WWWWWWWW.6742

I always thought Hammer 5 should be unblockable.