Tanky DPS Build Critique and Help

in Warrior

Posted by: FaythDarkHeart.5912

FaythDarkHeart.5912

So I decided to make a reasonable (as in affordable via decent hard work) tanky DPS warrior that would be good in WvW, PvP, and small group roaming.
it also seems fairly decent for pve content.
Full Knight with Zerk Trinkets: http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.2|1.1g.h2.0.0.0|7.1n.h8.e.1n.h1h.0.0.0|1n.b1j.1n.b1j.1n.b1j.1n.b1j.1n.a7.1n.a7.0.0.0.0.0.0|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.2v.0|a3.0.u19c.u28c.0|0.0|5x.69.6b.6d.6m|e
Full Soldier with Zerk Trinkets: http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.2|1.1g.h2.0.0.0|7.1n.h8.e.1n.h1h.0.0.0|1c.b1j.1c.b1j.1c.b1j.1c.b1j.1c.a7.1c.a7.0.0.0.0.0.0|1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.1g.67.2v.0|a3.0.u19c.u28c.0|0.0|5x.69.6b.6d.6m|e
For the two builds, I factored in MAJOR divinity, not superior, because I can not yet afford them.
I need your criticism on my trait, item set up, and overall viability. Also, I am extremely confused as to what my weapons sigils/runes should be, so I just tossed the seemingly okay battle, force and perception.
My ideal weapon set up is: Greatsword + Axe w/ situational weapon (but usually shield)
Going full knight raises crit chance, but soldier gives higher base damage + hp. Thoughts?
IF YOU HAVE ANY TANKY BUILDS OF YOUR OWN TO CONTRIBUTE, BY ALL MEANS!!! <3

in Warrior

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Any attempt at an “all around” build which claims to be effective in all content is ridiculous and a complete waste of time. No build can do everything moderately okay – trying to make an “all around” build just ends up gimping yourself in every aspect of the game meaning you will be getting rick rolled in WvW, and end up useless in a PvE environment.

Use a different build for everything, trait resetting is super cheap, and keep different gear sets for each content. Even if you can’t afford multiple exotic gear sets, this is the still better option just using rare equipment – someone in full rare Berserker gear will be better than anybody running a “tanky” exotic Soldier build in a PvE environment, but running exotic Berserker in a WvW Zerg will not be as beneficial as rare Soldiers or Knights.

Oh, and no matter what, Divinity runes, and celestial stats in general, are junk. Absolute junk. Don’t use them.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Warrior

Posted by: joonasp.9217

joonasp.9217

WvW, PvP and PvE are different game modes.

Greatsword in WvW and PvP is a waste of time.

Sorry, but no.

- JanS Löllykkä – www.jansguild.tumblr.com -

in Warrior

Flissy.4093

You’re crazy. 100B burst and an extremely mobile weapon. It’s a great weapon in ALL content.

Light Up the Darkness

in Warrior

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

WvW, PvP and PvE are different game modes.

Sorry, but no.

Do you even play the game?

[DONE]

in Warrior

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

Any attempt at an “all around” build which claims to be effective in all content is ridiculous and a complete waste of time. No build can do everything moderately okay – trying to make an “all around” build just ends up gimping yourself in every aspect of the game meaning you will be getting rick rolled in WvW, and end up useless in a PvE environment.

Use a different build for everything, trait resetting is super cheap, and keep different gear sets for each content. Even if you can’t afford multiple exotic gear sets, this is the still better option just using rare equipment – someone in full rare Berserker gear will be better than anybody running a “tanky” exotic Soldier build in a PvE environment, but running exotic Berserker in a WvW Zerg will not be as beneficial as rare Soldiers or Knights.

Oh, and no matter what, Divinity runes, and celestial stats in general, are junk. Absolute junk. Don’t use them.

All of what you basically said here is not necessarily true whatsoever, and not all aspects of the game is about min/maxing. Maybe when PvE is concerned yes when you are running with a group you know well, but in WvW and PvP it is different depending on what type of role you want to play.

While it is true that there is no one build that boasts maximum effectiveness in all content, that doesn’t mean going for an all-around build in specific content such as WvW is necessarily a bad route to go. Of course depending on weapon/trait choices and utilities that best synergize with each other in an all-around build. And there are builds that can do kitten nearly everything moderately OK. WvW consists of mostly zerg vs zerg fights and usually the outcome of these fights are determined by numbers or tactics. Having all-around stats has nothing to do with getting “rick-rolled” in zerg based combat and if you are talking about roaming, this isn’t necessarily true either. Because some “all-around” builds do reasonably well in most situations rather if you are going for more of the min-max route you do extremely well in some situations and bad in others.

Ofc it is possible to suck in most situations because one has opted for the all-around route but again that depends on a lot of things and certainly isn’t the rule.

And somebody in rare Berserker gear are likely to die a few times in PvE content so it isn’t necessarily better than full exotic Soldiers. And somebody in Full Exotic Berserker Gear can be really useful in WvW (i.e: Rifle build) for their ability to burst down single targets with ease. Where as somebody in rare soldier gear will die almost as fast because rare gear has no armor and they do no damage.

Divinity Runes are certainly way overpriced but that doesn’t mean they are bad choices to augment stats that you may be lacking a little bit of. Me I would much rather have some utility in my runes (i.e: Shouts remove conditions, clean all conditions and gain all buffs for 5 seconds, etc). And celestial stats are not junk, as long as you can make major use of every single stat that it increases. I’ve seen some successful WvW builds that make use of celestial gear, and that includes Warrior.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Warrior

joonasp.9217

You’re crazy. 100B burst and an extremely mobile weapon. It’s a great weapon in ALL content.

100B has the biggest burst damage in the game, but it’s also the easiest one to evade, making it useless in WvW and PvP. I’m pretty sure you guys have never stepped out of PvE so I don’t expect you to understand.

in Warrior

Posted by: jbernal.1078

jbernal.1078

100B has the biggest burst damage in the game, but it’s also the easiest one to evade, making it useless in WvW and PvP. I’m pretty sure you guys have never stepped out of PvE so I don’t expect you to understand.

Seriously? Do you expect the enemy to just sit through it? What is this WoW?

Guild wars 2 combat is more fluid, you have to make them sit through your 100B.

[ASH] – Gate of Madness

in Warrior

killahmayne.9518

100B doesn’t even have the largest burst in the game considering how long it takes to channel. Despite being easy to evade doesn’t make it useless in WvW or PvP whatsoever. And for many obvious reasons.

in Warrior

joonasp.9217

If you’re playing against a GS warrior (low level tournaments/hotjoin) and don’t save one stunbreak/stability for 100B you should not be playing this game.

in Warrior

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

If you’re playing against a GS warrior (low level tournaments/hotjoin) and don’t save one stunbreak/stability for 100B you should not be playing this game.

I think the point you missed is that taking a GS in WvW isn’t even about 100b. GS is a fantastic weapon for mobility. Used correctly it makes you nearly impossible to catch. Used incorrectly the player just becomes rally bait. That applies to pretty much everything though.

in Warrior

joonasp.9217

I think the point you missed is that taking a GS in WvW isn’t even about 100b. GS is a fantastic weapon for mobility. Used correctly it makes you nearly impossible to catch. Used incorrectly the player just becomes rally bait. That applies to pretty much everything though.

I think the point you missed is that this topic is meant for discussing a build that includes taking a GS to WvW. Sure it is great for mobility, but creating a build for WvW for the sole purpose of running away is not threadworthy.

in Warrior

killahmayne.9518

Well, good thing GS is a weapon that isn’t taken just for running away.

in Warrior

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I think the point you missed is that this topic is meant for discussing a build that includes taking a GS to WvW. Sure it is great for mobility, but creating a build for WvW for the sole purpose of running away is not threadworthy.

Have you ever done WvW? Because to be honest your replies read like someone that hasn’t set foot in WvW. I don’t think you understand what I’m talking about. I don’t really have time to explain it, but I’m almost certain google will work. I’m not trying to be mean,but it would waste both of our time if I sat here explaining exactly why you are wrong.

in Warrior

Flissy.4093

Seriously? Do you expect the enemy to just sit through it? What is this WoW?

So do so. Stuns/Immobs are plentiful.

Also, you’ll be surprised at the number of people who actually do eat a 100B.

Light Up the Darkness

in Warrior

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Are you guys real?
Do yoou guys pure base your theories on one skill alone? Do you guys swap weapon or know that you can assign skills for 6-10? Did you know utilizing your weapon swaps and utilities you have more than 1 stun/knock downs and then you also have access to immobilise which they can’t stun break out of? Did you know that WW aside from a useless skill that you don’t do acts as an evade, gap closer/opener AND does decent amount of damage at the same time? I won’t even go into the other great sword skills yet, try to master usage of 2 buttons first and then move on.

If you need help I can teach you a few tricks for using 100b successfully.

[DONE]

in Warrior

joonasp.9217

Have you ever done WvW? Because to be honest your replies read like someone that hasn’t set foot in WvW. I don’t think you understand what I’m talking about. I don’t really have time to explain it, but I’m almost certain google will work. I’m not trying to be mean,but it would waste both of our time if I sat here explaining exactly why you are wrong.

Could you please elaborate? Are you implying there a warriors in WvW that actually run a greatsword build? I don’t know which server you are on, but I am seriously worried.

in Warrior

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Could you please elaborate? Are you implying there a warriors in WvW that actually run a greatsword build? I don’t know which server you are on, but I am seriously worried.

O.k. I will admit you trolled me good.

in Warrior

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

I agree with the beginning part of this statement. Going all around is rarely a good idea. Invest in something. Tank or DPS or Condi.. whatever you want but don’t try to take it all on because it will just fall flat.. I know.. I have tried it. Don’t be fooled by a build being good if your team is the one carrying you. I have had that happen. I will think my stuff is just rocking only to see my team switch up in the next run and I get rolled over.

in Warrior

GSSBlunaspike.4153

I agree with the beginning part of this statement. Going all around is rarely a good idea. Invest in something. Tank or DPS or Condi.. whatever you want but don’t try to take it all on because it will just fall flat.. I know.. I have tried it. Don’t be fooled by a build being good if your team is the one carrying you. I have had that happen. I will think my stuff is just rocking only to see my team switch up in the next run and I get rolled over.

At least in wvw/pvp it’s possible to do more than one thing at once.

I run a dire condi bunker build. It works with roaming because I’m able to go 2v1 pretty easily. I can usually score at least one kill in a 2v1 before the other runs off. I don’t have much trouble on anything below a 3v1.

That’s a problem with the condi bunker meta though. Right now it’s just so much easier to stat for condi bunker compared to more power oriented builds. Build power and get one shot by a thief, burned fast by a burst build, or die slowly to a condi bunker.