Tanky support or Glass Cannon?

in Warrior

Posted by: knbBlackTemplar.3059

knbBlackTemplar.3059

And if support – banners or shouts? And please without comments like “Play how you want to play” because i have no idea what i want

P.s. sorry for my english

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

in Warrior

Posted by: Soeki.9643

Soeki.9643

I’ll try to break it down for you

So:
1) Banners support: You’ll have constant regeneration, the regen boon will on your party the whole time which is quite awesome, and coupled with some healing power gear (cleric’s or shaman’s), healing signet and adrenal health trait, you’ll have a really strong healing per second on you. My “field medic” build is built around it and heals for 744hp per second (or 832 with mango pies).

2) Shout support: Good thing about shouts is that they are low on cooldown, do all sort of awesome things (FGJ + SIO is a must for any shout build) and with healing shouts you can burst heal yourself and teammates. Not to mention that with soldier runes all your shouts will remove one condition (SIO will remove 2 with them)

3) Glass cannon: As the name suggest it can be quite easy to die with glassy spec, that’s why many people run with knight’s gear (Pow/Pre/Tough) which offers excellent protection and great damage. Once you’re comfortable with your setup, you can change over to berserker’s gear (which means a huge decrease in defense, but also a great increase in damage), especially if there is 1 or 2 ppl running support builds. Also omnomberry pies, you’re bread and butter for glass cannon builds they can make you godlike with it’s 66% chance to heal you on critical hits.

One more thing: Most people will expect you to deal heavy damage, since that is our strongest point. However if support seems more appealing to you go for it, it works really well too

in Warrior

Posted by: Honsu.3175

Honsu.3175

As a note with a support build with banners or shouts if you use Arms X and signet of rage with a GS you can still hold good dmg even while running clerics gear

in Warrior

knbBlackTemplar.3059

I’ll try to break it down for you

So:
1) Banners support: You’ll have constant regeneration, the regen boon will on your party the whole time which is quite awesome, and coupled with some healing power gear (cleric’s or shaman’s), healing signet and adrenal health trait, you’ll have a really strong healing per second on you. My “field medic” build is built around it and heals for 744hp per second (or 832 with mango pies).

2) Shout support: Good thing about shouts is that they are low on cooldown, do all sort of awesome things (FGJ + SIO is a must for any shout build) and with healing shouts you can burst heal yourself and teammates. Not to mention that with soldier runes all your shouts will remove one condition (SIO will remove 2 with them)

3) Glass cannon: As the name suggest it can be quite easy to die with glassy spec, that’s why many people run with knight’s gear (Pow/Pre/Tough) which offers excellent protection and great damage. Once you’re comfortable with your setup, you can change over to berserker’s gear (which means a huge decrease in defense, but also a great increase in damage), especially if there is 1 or 2 ppl running support builds. Also omnomberry pies, you’re bread and butter for glass cannon builds they can make you godlike with it’s 66% chance to heal you on critical hits.

One more thing: Most people will expect you to deal heavy damage, since that is our strongest point. However if support seems more appealing to you go for it, it works really well too

So what weapon for support? Shield and.. ?

80’s: Sylvari Necromancer (Main). Human: Thief, Warrior (PvP Main), Engineer. Charr Guardian

in Warrior

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Both types of game-play is viable. Just that glass cannon is more rewarding when you’re actually good at this game simply because in terms of “trading hits” mobility is easily your best form of survivability anyways. You might as well deal damage back if you know how to make use of mobility.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

(edited by Schwahrheit.4203)

in Warrior

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Both types of game-play is viable. Just that glass cannon is more rewarding when you’re actually good at this game simply because in terms of “trading hits” mobility is easily your best form of survivability.

Shield with reflect missiles can return great damage to enemies.

in Warrior

Posted by: Reldin.3217

Reldin.3217

I run a tanky shout build with axe + shield and it works pretty well.
You can actually really be a tank, in fact I can stand there let the mobs hit me and stay at full HP unless i fail to dodge a heavy damage attack. It helps the overall DPS because the mobs/boss will stay at one point hitting me while ignoring the other DPS. (Thats what shield does for you it helps you to keep aggro)

in Warrior

Posted by: Soeki.9643

Soeki.9643

For support:

1) Shield: CC, tanky style, I really like it, so if you plan on taking hits bring it. It works well with mace for even more cc and tanking goodness

2) Warhorn: It’s pure support weapon, mostly useful if you get the quick breathing trait for it, so you can convert one condition into a boon with both skills

3) GS: There are some really nice GS builds with 30 points in tactics to get either healing shouts or banners, but still do heavy damage. Probably the best for you if you wanna be supportative and quite good dps too

Also, I guess you are going to PvE mostly, am I right?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Glass really needs a strong team to be effective, and to be honest a character that can’t survive on its own just isn’t a strong character. But on the other hand, a character that deals next to no damage is almost as useless. A balance between damage and defence is the goal here.

Personally I lean more towards the tank side of the scale, main reason being that far too many people go full glass these days, in fact I make an effort to turn bosses around into GS warriors that try to “thief” behind them while I hold aggro.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Posted by: Honsu.3175

Honsu.3175

Dolan main point of what were saying is a properly played glass war who is using omnomberry pies can effectively survive just as or almost as well as a brick tank war while pumping out the dmg to end the mobs as a cleaving hundred blades or axe spin can easily heal the warrior for several thousand an attack to make up for the more damage they take due to their low toughness values

in Warrior

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Dolan main point of what were saying is a properly played glass war who is using omnomberry pies can effectively survive just as or almost as well as a brick tank war while pumping out the dmg to end the mobs as a cleaving hundred blades or axe spin can easily heal the warrior for several thousand an attack to make up for the more damage they take due to their low toughness values

Don’t get me wrong, there are people who have mastered the glass, but too many just… Haven’t… Y’know those 5 signet warriors? Yeeeeeeaaaaaaa

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

knbBlackTemplar.3059

Also, I guess you are going to PvE mostly, am I right?

Warrior have no options in WvW, longbow (7k damage aoe nice) or rifle, melee damage dealer without evade every second (like thief) can’t survive in bloodbath.