The Greatsword Enigma

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: SharadSun.3089

SharadSun.3089

Not really much of a mystery, I guess, but why are Greatsword burst builds so overused, over other builds?

On a similar tangent, why are Warriors only running around with Berserker’s Amulet? There’s other amulets in the game, you know.

Stuff like this is why we see ourselves as glassy; because we build glassy and get punished for it.

Again, not really a rant, just amused and confused.

Faolain Mag Aoidh / Diarmuidh
Leader of Thunderguard
Tarnished Coast Representative, Mist League

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: AlBundy.7851

AlBundy.7851

Greatsword is used for it’s superior mobility and ability to disengage if used properly.

If you would spend 5 seconds looking at a skill calculator or actually making a warrior you know in game you would see from our weapon skills, utility abilities, traits and downed state warriors are designed to do massive damage in a very short amount of time.

Our ability to last in battle is non existent against semi decent players. A lot of people think you can build a warrior for sustain or prolonged fights but then these people never play outside of pve or a massive zerg ball with 10 guardians supporting the 40 other players running around the map steamrolling one person at a time that doesn’t know how to dive through a zerg.

Btw I can’t tell if your trolling or just really ignorant?

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Well, actually you can manage to get high defensive stats without sacrificing too much damage.

But that still makes you an armored roamer, more than a bunker: you still have the “kill before you are killed” goal, but you reach it also by increasing the time it takes to kill you.

But yeah: ANet deleted the Juggernaut class saying that a player willing to play a juggernaut would have been willing to play a warrior, too.

ANet, I don’t know what game you are playing: as a warrior I don’t feel like a juggernaut AT ALL. And no build gives me that feeling.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

Greatsword is used for it’s superior mobility and ability to disengage if used properly.

If you would spend 5 seconds looking at a skill calculator or actually making a warrior you know in game you would see from our weapon skills, utility abilities, traits and downed state warriors are designed to do massive damage in a very short amount of time.

Our ability to last in battle is non existent against semi decent players. A lot of people think you can build a warrior for sustain or prolonged fights but then these people never play outside of pve or a massive zerg ball with 10 guardians supporting the 40 other players running around the map steamrolling one person at a time that doesn’t know how to dive through a zerg.

Hammer+Sword/Warhorn has better mobility (savage leap isn’t affected by chill/cripple immobilize, and allows for some pretty nice shortcuts on maps like Kyhlo)
It doesn’t rely on stuff like Bull’s Rush because it is already build into one of the weaponset. Since Hammer also has a stun, not just a knockdown (ranged aswell, not affected by chill/cripple) you can use it with Unsuspecting Foe.
Using Valkyrie with 10 points into arms, you are at 79% critchance with Fury.
Using Zerger with 20 points into arms and fury is 64% critchance.

A full zerger warrior (20/20/0/0/30) build does ~33% more damage (if you are lucky and crit every single strike, which took a while to test btw) with 100B than a 0/10/0/30/30 specced hammer warrior with shout heals and soldier runes.

So you can choose between 33% more damage or:

• Defensive Utilities for you and your group
    • More CC remove
    • More movement impairing effect remove
    • Small additional small heals over time
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC
  • More realiable damage (also inbetween stuns)
  • Actually better mobility (earthshaker can also be used as a 600 range jump)
  • 644 additional toughness
  • Higher critchance when bursting
  • Minor improvement in healing with Valkyries
  • Good access to weakness (the reduced endurance regen helps alot)
  • Blast finisher (best finisher ingame) on a pretty low cooldown

I kinda laugh at this standard Bull’s Rush, Frenzy, X warriors. They run out of stunbreaks so fast, and if they stunbreak with Frenzy, I crit them for like 5-6k with my autoattack.
Or if they really get me and hit a full 100B and not even get me below 50% health.
What a zerger warrior can kill is other zergers players, and not even any of them.
A valkyrie on the other hand deals so much damage over time, while surviving so much longer…

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

SharadSun.3089

sigh

I play MaceWarhorn or AxeShield + Hammer using a Valkyrie or Soldiers’ spec, and I play perfectly fine in ranked tPvP. It isn’t extremely strong 1v1, unfortunately, but it’s very strong in teamfights and the MaceHorn combo offers absolutely unparalleled support while shutting down an opponent entirely.

Not trolling or ignorant, just very averse to glassy builds.

Warriors need a survivability buff, but we’re honestly not as hopelessly bad as our community portrays us. And due to the rampant trolling/doom&gloom/idiocy that pervades this forum (speaking almost entirely to XII here), the devs treat this forum as the community that cried wolf.

Leader of Thunderguard

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Hammer+Sword/Warhorn has better mobility (savage leap isn’t affected by chill/cripple immobilize, and allows for some pretty nice shortcuts on maps like Kyhlo)
It doesn’t rely on stuff like Bull’s Rush because it is already build into one of the weaponset. Since Hammer also has a stun, not just a knockdown (ranged aswell, not affected by chill/cripple) you can use it with Unsuspecting Foe.

A full zerger warrior (20/20/0/0/30) build does ~33% more damage (if you are lucky and crit every single strike, which took a while to test btw) with 100B than a 0/10/0/30/30 specced hammer warrior with shout heals and soldier runes.

• More CC remove
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC

I kinda laugh at this standard Bull’s Rush, Frenzy, X warriors. They run out of stunbreaks so fast, and if they stunbreak with Frenzy, I crit them for like 5-6k with my autoattack.
Or if they really get me and hit a full 100B and not even get me below 50% health.
What a zerger warrior can kill is other zergers players, and not even any of them.
A valkyrie on the other hand deals so much damage over time, while surviving so much longer…

Enlight us with your build and equips plz.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

SharadSun.3089

• More CC remove
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC

Enlight us with your build and equips plz.

I’m pretty sure he’s using Defektive’s build. It runs at 3k attack, 44% crit chance with Fury/30 Adrenaline, and 45% crit damage.

It also has around 24k health and 3k armor

Leader of Thunderguard

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

• More CC remove
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC

He never mentioned the off hand set. Sword/Shield and Greatsword is the best mobility you’ll get out of a weapon set. If your looking to max it put bull’s charge in your utility bar.

BTW savage leap is affected by immobilize unless you trait to break it.

On a general Note Al is actually kind of right about this. We can’t sustain in a long fight and its always kill or run. That being said it doesn’t mean there are no defensive builds out there. They just aren’t tank builds.

If we are talking about a serious kite or roam GS whirlwind attack and shield are your true disengages. Savage leap is part evade as it move faster than most projectiles and thus is you use it correctly you not getting hit by them. Whirlwind attack on the other hand is a proper evade and used correctly will allow you to pop 3 evades in a row if need be. Shields block is the most essential part of a kite to me. I do not worry so much about getting immobilized as I do about getting burst down. A proper block will literally put you out of combat while your opponent is still in it.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

AlBundy.7851

Warriors need a survivability buff, but we’re honestly not as hopelessly bad as our community portrays us. And due to the rampant trolling/doom&gloom/idiocy that pervades this forum (speaking almost entirely to XII here), the devs treat this forum as the community that cried wolf.

This is such a dumb statement ppl are in these forum for the past 10 months pointing out the flaws of this class it’s horrible ways to connect to opponents and deal damage, get to the second heal, offer anything to a team other than some horrible stat buffs, a better downed state that is not so easy to stomp, reduced cast times and cooldowns on abilities and utilities, useful traits that add more depth than a straight damage increase.

And then in every thread people make we have people like this that come in with just meaningless tooltip quoting offering no actual gameplay experience or advice no video proof of them playing in a team with the build against decent players.

I don’t know about other people but I’m tired of scrubs coming into the warrior forums telling us everything is fine warriors have virtually no presence in tpvp, very little in wvw and there’s one ability that makes us op in pve.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

AlBundy.7851

I forgot to add with the improvements ppl have been making over the last 10 months there’s a few more.

A better adrenaline gain system along with better burst skills, blocking skills that don’t suck(With the blocking skills I don’t know if it’s a bug or it’s was supposed to be a certain way but on blocks that deal damage like mainhand mace, offhand sword, spear every once in a while I get a reduced cooldown instead of the full tooltip cooldown).

There are so many changes that can be made to improve warriors and what have we received over the 10 months nothing but stat increases that don’t address the real problems. And every patch the warrior community is alienated further on the forums to look like we’re getting special treatment when in reality we’ve stayed at the bottom the whole time.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

You know why warrior don’t spec for bunker? because we would die in seconds because of agro anyway, High difficulty Pve wise, not even gonna mention anything PvP. except those easy mode monsters where every build goes. and actually as a warrior you have more chance to survive as a zerker because monsters won’t attack you.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Lighter.5631

sigh

I play MaceWarhorn or AxeShield + Hammer using a Valkyrie or Soldiers’ spec, and I play perfectly fine in ranked tPvP. It isn’t extremely strong 1v1, unfortunately, but it’s very strong in teamfights and the MaceHorn combo offers absolutely unparalleled support while shutting down an opponent entirely.

Not trolling or ignorant, just very averse to glassy builds.

Oh very strong in team fights as a support while shutting down an opponent entirely?
you better run a guardian as a superb support while shutting down every enemy around you entirely.

let’s just face it, you will do better as a zerker who shoots aoes.

“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

• More CC remove
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC

I laughed at this a little bit then was angry at how ignorant it was. Almost nothing you said is true I dont have the time to break it down for you becasue I dont have the time. You obviously are either a noob warrior, copyed this from somwhere and pasted it here or dont even play the profession.

I can pretty much sum it up for you though warriors dont have access to protection or aegis and by you even saying this it invalidates everything you said.

Savage leap is affected by debilitative conditions. Sword warhorn setup only offers one movement skill, while GS, sword, and Bulls chage together offer 4. bulls charge isnt build into anyweapon set there is no weapon skill that has a rush like knockdown for 2 seconds.

Valkrie offers no precision at all it is a vitality set unless u are talking about SPVP. Vitality has nothing to do with healing power or crit chance. The stats are pow, vit crit damage.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Lighter.5631

• More CC remove
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC

what the what? not like i haven’t play a unsuspecting foe hammer intelligence gs build, but what the what? wha….what? what what? wha? wa?

-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

• More CC remove
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC

what the what? not like i haven’t play a unsuspecting foe hammer intelligence gs build, but what the what? wha….what? what what? wha? wa?

Thats why i wanted him to post the build in a calculattor with equipments, because it will be imposible for him, he is telling lies.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

SharadSun.3089

I’m pretty sure the Protection and Aegis bits are pushing it, unless he’s referring to Warhorn’s ability to convert conditions to boons, in which case he is quite definitely right.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quick_Breathing

@AlBundy:

I offer as much advice as I possibly can, and it’s consistently panned by people who insist that Warriors are useless. The only thing I can’t do is post full builds, because they’re sort of privy to our guild’s meta.

Leader of Thunderguard

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Jonwar.9205

Jonwar.9205

GS is used so often because it’s one of our only weapon sets that really does more than one thing well. Damage obviously, defense and mobility.

Glass warriors are common because the only role we really fill is damage. Anything and everything else somebody else can do better, but as far as pure firepower in a teamfight the warrior generally reigns supreme.

The problem is simply it’s much easier to shut us down than it is for us to counter it. You can say “Oh, but I still do damage with my soldiers amulet”. No, you do not, you do some damage but hardly enough to outdamage heals in a teamfight. Yes, you may outlive people, you may be better at 1v1, but you will preform your role in an inferior manner to a glass warr.

In short, extra toughness and vitality may keep you alive longer, but it makes your team dead faster to not have the other guys damage dealers dead quickly. It costs your team points the longer a bunker survives on a point.

Hurr Durr Blades – PvP Warrior
Jangeol – WvW Warrior

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

SharadSun.3089

GS is used so often because it’s one of our only weapon sets that really does more than one thing well. Damage obviously, defense and mobility.

Glass warriors are common because the only role we really fill is damage. Anything and everything else somebody else can do better, but as far as pure firepower in a teamfight the warrior generally reigns supreme.

The problem is simply it’s much easier to shut us down than it is for us to counter it. You can say “Oh, but I still do damage with my soldiers amulet”. No, you do not, you do some damage but hardly enough to outdamage heals in a teamfight. Yes, you may outlive people, you may be better at 1v1, but you will preform your role in an inferior manner to a glass warr.

In short, extra toughness and vitality may keep you alive longer, but it makes your team dead faster to not have the other guys damage dealers dead quickly. It costs your team points the longer a bunker survives on a point.

I agree, in general, and I guess I see the meta of pure-glass War a bit more clearly now. But I do still feel that we can provide more as a survivable CC/support than we can as raw damage.

Leader of Thunderguard

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

You see GS so much because:
- It’s really good in PvE, so casual PvPers continue to use it.
- The GS burst combo is easy to learn and execute against bad opponents (and there are lots in hot join).
- GS has a balance of mobility, burst, CC, and even some survivability with the evade on whirlwind.
- There aren’t good control or bunker options for warriors, or at least not one that’s been discovered. Hammer is great for control, but gets shut down by stability and blinds or blocks. With guardians being so common, there’s a lot of stability. Warrior healing is currently insufficient in comparison to their health pool, which is particularly evident if you try for a bunker build. You eventually lose the sustained battle.
- Warriors bring nothing unique to to the current tPvP meta when compared with other professions, so there isn’t much incentive to experiment. Thieves pick off people better, guardians have much better utility, etc. Necromancers (the second worst tPvP profession) at least see some play because they can overwhelm the popular bunker professions when they aren’t being trained.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

AlBundy.7851

I offer as much advice as I possibly can, and it’s consistently panned by people who insist that Warriors are useless. The only thing I can’t do is post full builds, because they’re sort of privy to our guild’s meta.

fml. Just don’t just don’t. Don’t play this stupid I have a secret build bullcrap.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

fml. Just don’t just don’t. Don’t play this stupid I have a secret build bullcrap.

Ya there are no such thing as secret warrior builds. Since warriors have no real viable builds outside of PVE. All the “almost” viable builds were invited by people other than you and your guild long before you even existed lol. As far as guild meta stuff everyone runs the same stupid hammer builds. Either a stupid shout build or a melandru build with a hammer. And these builds are worthless for anything but zerging. Nothing has changed with warriors except for dogged march and boon hate since the game has game out. Dont pretend you have secret warrior build information to people who been playing warriors since open beta and have tried kitten you haven’t even tried.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Varonth.5830

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNBiYDbE0J5t5RGiJOAcKok6BctFX6hYslGA-TsAA0CvIySllLLTWyssZNQYFy2CA

Here it is.
You can also switch certain traits. Leg Specialist → Empowered for more damage instead of more control for example.

As someone already posted, Quick Breathing converts burning to aegis and vulnurability to protection. Not just on you, but on everyone around you aswell.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

If we’re talking PvP, most of the people I play with prefer I run glass because that’s the most effective way to counter bunkers. While certain bunkers I can’t beat 1v1 (although since I’ve started using Mace+Shield I can stop most of their heals and lock them down) in team fights being able to take down the bunker quickly is way more useful than dealing less damage while having more survival. I’m sure some will disagree but from my experiences we tended to do better when I could down someone on a teamfight, which means the guardian will try and res, and I can just go in there and skull crack him and every bursts him down as well.

When I tried to be tougher I didn’t feel all that useful especially with hammer and sword because the DPS on sword is meh and with Deflection on Mace/Shield the set still has use when someone pops stability. Stability is the main reason I’m not a huge fan of the hammer because when it’s up that means your main weapon’s major benefit isn’t useable for a good period of time. At least with greatsword you always have a direct damage weapon you can use while stability is up because if you run hammer and sword there’s no way that sword is going to output as much DPS as a GS. In addition GS has an evade on it which in addition to Energy sigils is a good way to mitigate damage while still dealing damage.

Also on the subject of Quick Breathing, it has a nasty habit of converting the most worthless conditions first, so you’ll find yourself removing bleeding and cripple not burning and vulnerability. Horn is good with Sword for mobility but I can’t say the drop in DPS is worth it for the trait. I always find myself disappointed by it. Honestly I’d rather have Mending with Restorative Strength, it removes cripple, chilled, immobilize, and weakness before the 2 conditions from Mending. Of course this depends on if you can give up Berserker’s Strength.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

(edited by BurrTheKing.8571)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Varonth.5830

Regarding Quick Breathing:
It converts just like other condi removes. Last in, first out.
Charge takes a special place in that regard.
It first removes Crippled, Chilled and Immobilize and then converts the last condition into a boon.
So if you get immobilized, poisoned, crippled, burned chilled the use of charge will end you with:
Poisoned, swiftness and aegis.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

I guarantee you that even if Greatsword didn’t have Hundred blades it still would be one of the most popular weapons, at least when PvP/WvW is concerned.

Whirlwind hits like a truck and gives you an additional evade and a gap closer/escape

Blade trail also hits like a truck, is a source of easy ranged DPS and allows you to set up your combo easier due to the cripple.

Rush is unreliable in terms of hitting the opponent but is still a great escape and an ok gap closer.

Hitting a full hundred blade is quite rare so I do not rely on it at all, but it is great on downed enemies, especially when somebody else is standing still trying to ress them. It forces them to move away because ignoring the power of hundred blades in most cases isn’t a good idea. It isn’t essential to have Bulls Rush when using the Greatsword.

Even then, most people use an axe if they want consistent and quick burst damage. The axe autoattack by far is best for this although the #2 and #3 are very mediocre skills.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

SharadSun.3089

Ya there are no such thing as secret warrior builds. Since warriors have no real viable builds outside of PVE. All the “almost” viable builds were invited by people other than you and your guild long before you even existed lol. As far as guild meta stuff everyone runs the same stupid hammer builds. Either a stupid shout build or a melandru build with a hammer. And these builds are worthless for anything but zerging. Nothing has changed with warriors except for dogged march and boon hate since the game has game out. Dont pretend you have secret warrior build information to people who been playing warriors since open beta and have tried kitten you haven’t even tried.

I’m not talking about WvW zerging, dude xD

There’s been one massive change, and that was the merging of the Burst Mastery trait. That trait alone has made hundreds of new builds both possible and viable, and all I still see are the Bull’s Rush – Berserker – Frenzy – Greatsword builds that offer absolutely nothing to the meta but a single and easily cancelled squishy damage hotspot.

My point, in the end, is that Warriors are capable of more than pure glass.

Leader of Thunderguard

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNBiYDbE0J5t5RGiJOAcKok6BctFX6hYslGA-TsAA0CvIySllLLTWyssZNQYFy2CA

Here it is.
You can also switch certain traits. Leg Specialist -> Empowered for more damage instead of more control for example.

As someone already posted, Quick Breathing converts burning to aegis and vulnurability to protection. Not just on you, but on everyone around you aswell.

Where is my 79% critchance ?

I tried the build, if you go with this you become a support character forget about killing anything, you can remove conditions very well and overall have better not ideal like other classes survivality, but your damage its a joke, i prefer spec for damage and actually kiling something.

If you like going full support, go for it.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Varonth.5830

Here it is.
You can also switch certain traits. Leg Specialist -> Empowered for more damage instead of more control for example.

I tried the build, if you go with this you become a support character forget about killing anything, you can remove conditions very well and overall have better not ideal like other classes survivality, but your damage its a joke, i prefer spec for damage and actually kiling something.

9% base → 29 with fury → 79 on stunned enemies. With Heightened Focus it will be 88 for the earth shaker and 81 for all the hits after that.

Zerger with 20 point into arms has 44% base → 64% with fury → 73% with Heightened Focus. Bull’s Rush does not trigger the 50% of Unsuspecting Foe.

You don’t get the 200 power from the Strength traitline, and runes (of using power runes).
Valkyrie has the same power and crit stats as zerger, but instead of vit you get healing power and instead of precision you get toughness.
You also get 30% bonus critdamage from discipline.

On the defensive side on the other hand:
Shout Heal heals for about 1.5k each and often remove conditions.
While kinda small, you will get less damage because you have additional toughness, making the heals otherall more effective.
DPS from conditions is extreme right now, and you can easily suffer 2~2.5k condition damage per second. A shield will not protect you from that.
For example an engineer can, with just 2 attacks, stack 20s of burning on you ticking at 750~800.
That will be 15k health if there is no one around you to cleanse that.
And you can cleanse through masses of conditions better than any other class with charge. There is no other cleanse (besides consume conditions and lyssa powered elites) which can potentionally cleanse 4 conditions at once. And that ability is on 12s cooldown and AoE.
And of course you have alot of CC which will ease the pressure on you. A CCed foe does not deal alot of damage. That a CCed foe can also eat alot of damage is nice aswell
I am also wondering, that kind of damage did you see on the hammer attacks, that were too low?

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

@SharadSun.3089 Theres nothing special about burst mastery. It isnt that good. Its -2secs off of cool down and just doenst use as much adrenaline. Its too deep of an investment. Everyone will tell you this. Ive tried using it with axes to refil the adrinaline faster, ive tried it with shouts to regen the adrinaline faster Ive tried it with furious Ive tried it with no adrinaline gain traits. It ends up being a little faster chance to use your busts at a cost. It actually worst than boon hate in that regard. Big investment no good gains.

@ Varnoth unsuspecting foe is only good for u things. Making eviscerate crit, and making back breaker crit. So for 2 skills one which your not even using u can crit on that doesnt equate to high crit. It equates to maybe criting on one skill the 99% of the rest of the time having low crit. Everything you say is a bit of a strech while technically you dont lie what you say is very misleading to somone that doesnt know better.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

Here it is.

9% base -> 29 with fury -> 79 on stunned enemies. With Heightened Focus it will be 88 for the earth shaker and 81 for all the hits after that.

Zerger with 20 point into arms has 44% base -> 64% with fury -> 73% with Heightened Focus. Bull’s Rush does not trigger the 50% of Unsuspecting Foe.

You don’t get the 200 power from the Strength traitline, and runes (of using power runes).
Valkyrie has the same power and crit stats as zerger, but instead of vit you get healing power and instead of precision you get toughness.

While kinda small, you will get less damage because you have additional toughness, making the heals otherall more effective.
DPS from conditions is extreme right now, and you can easily suffer 2~2.5k condition damage per second. A shield will not protect you from that.
For example an engineer can, with just 2 attacks, stack 20s of burning on you ticking at 750~800.
And you can cleanse through masses of conditions better than any other class with charge. There is no other cleanse (besides consume conditions and lyssa powered elites) which can potentionally cleanse 4 conditions at once. And that ability is on 12s cooldown and AoE.
And of course you have alot of CC which will ease the pressure on you. A CCed foe does not deal alot of damage. That a CCed foe can also eat alot of damage is nice aswell
I am also wondering, that kind of damage did you see on the hammer attacks, that were too low?

I dont know what does that wall of text purpose is, but i already said, its a support build, you will not going to kill anything by yourself except maybe new players or bad ones, you have better survivality but you cant compare with the other classes, you sacrifice a lot of damage and you cant do even 20% of other bunker/support classes outhere, its not a bad build, the bad thing its the state of the warrior, and if someones likes to focus on support can go with it, if they want to kill something bettet go for another build.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Dempsey.8760

Dempsey.8760

• More CC remove
    • Perm Vigor
    • Perm Swiftness
    • Access to Protection
    • Access to Regen
    • Access to Aegis
  • Way better CC

Though I understand each point and some of them are valid, the gs isn’t really worse or better than sword. Sure sword isn’t effected but crippling effects but gs still has 2 of them and both do a great deal more damage than the leap.
It comes down to play style differences, really you’re probably playing warriors who haven’t reached rank 30+ and haven’t realized that 100b should almost never be touched, especially on an enemy that can move.
Sure hammer has some great CC however, all of them are highly telegraphed and easily dodged. not to mention blinds. Hammer has downsides too you know.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

killahmayne.9518

@SharadSun.3089 Theres nothing special about burst mastery. It isnt that good. Its -2secs off of cool down and just doenst use as much adrenaline. Its too deep of an investment. Everyone will tell you this. Ive tried using it with axes to refil the adrinaline faster, ive tried it with shouts to regen the adrinaline faster Ive tried it with furious Ive tried it with no adrinaline gain traits. It ends up being a little faster chance to use your busts at a cost. It actually worst than boon hate in that regard. Big investment no good gains.

@ Varnoth unsuspecting foe is only good for u things. Making eviscerate crit, and making back breaker crit. So for 2 skills one which your not even using u can crit on that doesnt equate to high crit. It equates to maybe criting on one skill the 99% of the rest of the time having low crit. Everything you say is a bit of a strech while technically you dont lie what you say is very misleading to somone that doesnt know better.

Despite a deep investment, Burst Mastery is a very good trait, however it is only worth it if you are using the hammer IMO. An AoE stun that can be used every 8 seconds? That lasts 2 seconds? Which only uses 2/3 of your adreanaline bar? It is hard to constantly go from zero to full adreanaline constantly every 10 seconds. And face it, the hammer stun is pretty subpar if you haven’t built full adrenaline. You don’t even need adrenaline gaining traits or skills to keep it up constantly because it is pretty easy to build 2/3 of a bar in 8 seconds.

And unsuspecting foe is very useful for making Earthshaker crit because the stun is applied before the damage. It is a guaranteed crit on multiple enemies. It is also great for a guaranteed crit on the last chain of your sword. Swing your sword at an enemy twice —-—> shield bash —-—> swing sword again. Now I wouldn’t entirely rely on it for DPS but that is the truth.

(edited by killahmayne.9518)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

killahmayne.9518

Here it is.

9% base -> 29 with fury -> 79 on stunned enemies. With Heightened Focus it will be 88 for the earth shaker and 81 for all the hits after that.

Zerger with 20 point into arms has 44% base -> 64% with fury -> 73% with Heightened Focus. Bull’s Rush does not trigger the 50% of Unsuspecting Foe.

I personally think putting the 30 in tactics into defense is better if you want a more offensive type build.

Dogged March offers some good CC reduction, and in conjuction with adrenal health can boost your sustainability a little bit although not quite at the level of a shout heal. But mainly you want the hammer trait and I can’t really see myself using a hammer and not taking the trait. 20% cooldown on all hammer skills and 25% more damage on disabled foes, it is kind of a no brainer.

Retaliation is actually very good in sPvP so spiked armor is a very good trait to pick up for easy DPS. Defense has better minor traits overall. You also free up your utilities. I like to take bulls rush for extra CC depending on the situation. Balanced Stance is obviously glued to my bar because it pretty much is a must have for a hammer warrior who is in the fray. I like to take signet of stamina as well.

Dodging is very important and the more times you can dodge, the way better the survivability you have. Regenerating your stamina bar in 7.5 seconds instead of 10 is huge. It also doubles as an emergency condition clear.

Now you might ask that conditions will destroy this type of build, which is why you use mending and runes of lyssa. And also the signet of stamina that I have mentioned. Runes of lyssa also provide you with needed extra survivability even though the boons can be stripped, converted or do not last very long.

A sword and shield go well with a hammer, but a warhorn isn’t a bad choice as well for extra vigor and condition removal for your allies. Shield provides extra CC, a proc on unsuspecting foe and you block tons of extra damage and waste opponent cooldowns.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Posted by: Skelemiere.3094

Skelemiere.3094

If only you played warrior, you would know that being zerk is easier than being tank. GS allows mobility whilst still dealing damage. If you are a tank warrior, you will be out healed easily, and then you will end up getting pwned because you can’t deal enough damage. If you are zerk, you will put pressure on people, deal a lot of damage, and possibly in a short amount of time. Who doesn’t want a warrior on your team who comes out of nowhere and bursts your bunker to death in 1 sec?

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Jonwar.9205

some disinformation I see in this thread…

For everyone posting bunker warrior builds, a guardian can do it better. Your condi removal is inferior, your heals are inferior, you do not provide as many boons and your personal survivability is inferior.

Warlord.9074

I have to disagree with you there, burst mastery is handy on any weapon set that you use burst skills often on as it allows you to use both burst skills for one, and also for maintaining the passive effects you get from adrenaline.

Also, what’s all this hate for DotE? 4 boons and it’s better than arms 25. Mid fight you often see 6-8 boons on targets. Yes, protection still reduces more damage than it creates, but protection would mitigate damage anyways. dmg+DotE-prot > dmg-prot.

Dempsey.8760

It comes down to play style differences, really you’re probably playing warriors who haven’t reached rank 30+ and haven’t realized that 100b should almost never be touched, especially on an enemy that can move.

Erm, should almost never be touched? It’s on a low CD, use it any time somebodies in any way disabled. Eviscerate and HB should be used any time you have the opportunity. The frenzied bulls HB is still an excellent way to burst someone down on low stunbreak classes.

Jangeol – WvW Warrior

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

Boon hate is bad becasue the math doesn’t add up. 25 arms is way better than boon hate with 4 boons and this is why. With sigil or earth you always do 10% more damage to targets boons or no boons and you crit more often becasue you have higher crit chance which allows you to actually take advantage of having crit power.

Boon hate doesn’t get better until there is 4 boons and 4 boons is not on every target if a boon falls off its worst. Not too mention with such a high investment in crit power it doesn’t little for you without high precision to take advantage of. Now you might say well im using sigil of perception to stack precison to make up for haiving low crit chance. But guess whakittens not until 25 stacks that you are even close to as good as 25 in arms. And somone with 25 in arms can do the same thing and crit twice as much as you or use bloodlust and have way more power and crit chance than you.

Any time you go high crit build you sacrifice somthing, if its power you are sacrificing you need to be able to crit all of the time tom make up for it for example. If you not criting enough its wasted. If its not power than its precision than having all that crit power is pointless. If its not power or precision than your a glass cannon and the build is bad if you have to fight any decent players as a warrior..

Thats why boon hate and burst mastery are booth bad. As far as the burst skills if they dont crit they are not stronger than normal hits. so burst skills absolutly have to crit every time. The unsuspecting foe trait to guaranteed a critical burst only gives u enough time to make eviscerate crit once nothing else. If your using it for hammer again you will be able to to Earshaker and crit with back breaker. It is very situational and only helps 2 different skills crit. The main bottle neck in the whole equation is shield bash which will cool down slower than the burst skill.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Jonwar.9205

Sigil of earth? Really? You mean to tell me that a 10% bonus, and gimping your weapon on crit sigil is better than a trait that gives you +3% damage per boon in a game where almost every class keeps at least 3 boons up (with most keeping significantly more up)?

Jangeol – WvW Warrior

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

3 boons = 9% only when the target has 4 boons is it better than 10% and thats only if the 4th boon isnt protection as well. then your actually doing less damage even with 4 boons. Plus your crit chance is much higher so your criting more often which equates to more damage than base damage. If the target has no boons or 1-2 boons its worst all of the time. . Not every class runs around with 3 boons. Thiefs for example have very very limited access to boons. 10% to bleeding foes is better than berserkers power as well. As with sigil of earth its a 93% chance to cause bleeding so your doing 10% damage no matter how much adrenaline u have. you can Have no adrenaline at all and do 10%.

Berserkers power isnt even better till you are at full adrenaline and once you use a burst skill it becomes worst. But i would take 25 and arms and 10 in streth for a total of 35 points which would give me theoretical 22% damage at full adrenaline over 9% with 3 boons anyday. Thats why Boon hate sucks. 30 point investment for 9% vs a 35 point investment for 22%. And if I decided to do 20 in str and 25 in arms thats going to be 32% plus might stacking on a GS. In order to even pretend do do that much damage which you never will with boon hate it would need to have 11boons on the target. And if the target has that many boons its garanteed that one of those is protection and boon hate becomes from worst to terribad.

The other thing it does is a lot of times it casues people to blow their cleases to clear the bleeding. So you can follow up with a immobilize and they got nothing to clear that than bam 100 blades on them.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Varonth.5830

3 boons = 9% only when the target has 4 boons is it better than 10%. If the target has no boons or 1-2 boons its worst all of the time. . Not every class runs around with 3 boons. Thiefs for example have very very limited access to boons. 10% to bleeding foes is better than berserkers power as well. As with sigil of earth its a 93% chance to cause bleeding so your doing 10% damage no matter how much adrenaline u have. you can Have no adrenaline at all and do 10%. Berserkers power isnt even better till you are at full adrenaline and once you use a burst skill it becomes worst. The other thing it does is a lot of times it casues people to blow their cleases to clear the bleeding. So you can follow up with a immobilize and they got nothing to clear that than bam 100 blades on them.

Sigil of Earth has a 60% chance on crit to cause bleeding.
Precise Strikes has a 33% chance on crit to cause bleeding.

That does not mean you have a 93% chance to cause bleeding on crit.
If the sigil would be 50% and the trait would be 50% you would apply 1 bleeding on crit.

First some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_7PR9kRXWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOooyE6liLY

We need:
Addition Rule for non mutually exclusive events, as both the sigil and the trait can proc of the same crit.
Multiplication Rule for Independent Events for calculating the probability of both occuring at the same time.
Chance that both are procing of the same crit:
60%*33% = 19.8%
This number is also needed in the calculation of getting the proc of either the sigil or the trait.
60%+33%-19.8% = 73.2% chance to get one bleeding on crit.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

3 boons = 9% only when the target has 4 boons is it better than 10%. If the target has no boons or 1-2 boons its worst all of the time. . Not every class runs around with 3 boons. Thiefs for example have very very limited access to boons. 10% to bleeding foes is better than berserkers power as well. As with sigil of earth its a 93% chance to cause bleeding so your doing 10% damage no matter how much adrenaline u have. you can Have no adrenaline at all and do 10%. Berserkers power isnt even better till you are at full adrenaline and once you use a burst skill it becomes worst. The other thing it does is a lot of times it casues people to blow their cleases to clear the bleeding. So you can follow up with a immobilize and they got nothing to clear that than bam 100 blades on them.

If the sigil would be 50% and the trait would be 50% you would apply 1 bleeding on crit.

First some videos:

We need:
Addition Rule for non mutually exclusive events, as both the sigil and the trait can proc of the same crit.
Multiplication Rule for Independent Events for calculating the probability of both occuring at the same time.
60%*33% = 19.8%
This number is also needed in the calculation of getting the proc of either the sigil or the trait.

Yea it does give you 93% the 60% stacks with the 33% try it before you try to argue, Its not multiplied its additive. your talking to somone who actually uses the setup. I works escatly the same The same way melandru stacks with lemongrass and dogged march. Same mechanic it stacks additively not multiplicative. .

The links you gave thats not how math works in GW2. Things ate stacked additively in this game. Eaxmple melandru -25% coni + dogged march -33% chill imo, crpple, + lemongrass -40% condi = 98% immobilize chill and cripple.

Precise Strikes has a 33% + Sigil of earth 60% = 93% bro. all day long in Gw2. Thats how it works.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Varonth.5830

First some videos:

We need:
60%*33% = 19.8%

Yea it does give you 93% the 60% stacks with the 33% try it before you try to argue, Its not multiplied its additive. your talking to somone who actually uses the setup. I works escatly the same The same way melandru stacks with lemongrass and dogged march. Same mechanic it stacks additively not multiplicative. .

Since it is additive, not two different procs, you cannot apply 2 stacks of bleeding according to your system.
Get a steady hammer. Put a sigil of earth in it. Get the trait and hit a golem and take a look if you ever apply two stacks of bleeding.
You are not adding duration, you are having chances. Chances don’t just add up. I actually linked you 2 videos. Watch them please before you post stuff, which if they would be true, would completely change natural laws.
I also included a statement for you with easier numbers.

I am sitting here, and the computer science student in me is just like, how can someone write something like this.
/facepalm

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Jonwar.9205

3 boons = 9% only when the target has 4 boons is it better than 10% and thats only if the 4th boon isnt protection as well. then your actually doing less damage even with 4 boons. Plus your crit chance is much higher so your criting more often which equates to more damage than base damage. If the target has no boons or 1-2 boons its worst all of the time. . Not every class runs around with 3 boons. Thiefs for example have very very limited access to boons. 10% to bleeding foes is better than berserkers power as well. As with sigil of earth its a 93% chance to cause bleeding so your doing 10% damage no matter how much adrenaline u have. you can Have no adrenaline at all and do 10%.

Berserkers power isnt even better till you are at full adrenaline and once you use a burst skill it becomes worst. But i would take 25 and arms and 10 in streth for a total of 35 points which would give me theoretical 22% damage at full adrenaline over 9% with 3 boons anyday. Thats why Boon hate sucks. 30 point investment for 9% vs a 35 point investment for 22%. And if I decided to do 20 in str and 25 in arms thats going to be 32% plus might stacking on a GS. In order to even pretend do do that much damage which you never will with boon hate it would need to have 11boons on the target. And if the target has that many boons its garanteed that one of those is protection and boon hate becomes from worst to terribad.

The other thing it does is a lot of times it casues people to blow their cleases to clear the bleeding. So you can follow up with a immobilize and they got nothing to clear that than bam 100 blades on them.

Sigil of earth could be replaced by fire, even force would make it so 2 boons and it’s more effective as a flat damage increase and fire supposedly provides more dps.

I’ve already explained why the protection argument is flat out silly.

Have you met the s/d thief yet?

Also, I do not believe that the result of earth and precise strikes is additive as they are different effects.

You’re also comparing an entire traitline to one trait. The choice most people are faced with is 20/25/0/0/25, 20/20/0/10/20, 20/25/0/10/15, or 20/20/0/0/30 (I’m sure there are other minor variations out there). As you can see, all have at least 20 points in arms, so the crit chance is a very marginal difference.

Lastly, a GS Axe combo can spike down just about any non-bunker anyways. Bunkers have boons. Bunkers have lots of boons.

Jangeol – WvW Warrior

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

AlBundy.7851

sure wish there were moderators on these forums that would delete posts or lock threads that don’t stay on the topic.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

SharadSun.3089

sure wish there were moderators on these forums that would delete posts or lock threads that don’t stay on the topic.

It’s pretty on-topic. I wanted to generate discussion that looked into new and viable tPvP builds besides Glass GS, and that’s exactly what’s happening.

Leader of Thunderguard

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

Warlord.9074

It’s pretty on-topic. I wanted to generate discussion that looked into new and viable tPvP builds besides Glass GS, and that’s exactly what’s happening.

Yups well boon hate and burst mastery didnt make warrior have viable builds. There are no new viable tpvp builds. You worst off actually becasue of such a huge investment for little gains. Thats partly why im arguing. the best change to come out of the whole thing was dogged march. And that isnt enough to make warriors viable. Boon hate and burst mastery made little to no differnce at all over previous warrior meta.

The Greatsword Enigma

in Warrior

AlBundy.7851

You’re joking right?