The problem with burst attacks.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

A lot of traits for every class are built around their profession mechanics. At the most basic level, these traits essentially do the same thing; apply boon on activation, remove condition on activation, added stats while activated etc, etc.

The common denominator here is activation. Activation benefits are often based on two of three things:

Resource: Life force, adrenaline, pet HP
Time: Cooldowns
Accuracy: Connecting with the skill used.

If we look at each profession and see which requirements they have it will look like this:

Elementalist: Attunements swapping only require time.
Engineer: Toolbelt skills only require time.
Guardian: Virtures only require time.
Mesmer: Shatter requires resource and time. And resource is only required for greater effects.
Necromancer: Entering Shroud requires resource and time.
Ranger: Pet swapping requires resource (health) and time.
Revenant: Legend swapping requires time.
Thief: Steal requires time and accuracy.

Warrior: The benefits attributed with burst skills, of which there aren’t all too many to begin with, require resource, time and accuracy

Oddly enough I found myself agreeing with the changes to primal burst adrenaline but I felt some sort of trade-off should have been given back, e.g. entering berserk mode should count as 2 stacks of adrenaline depleted.

But going back to my original argument, it doesn’t make sense that burst attacks are constraint upon 3 things, where every other class only has two. I think accuracy shouldn’t be a criteria for effects like adrenal health, cleansing ire, since you are held back by requiring time and resource to activate it to begin with. Thematically it works too, if the adrenaline is what heals you, expending it should be the cost, not landing the hit.

(edited by Ramoth.9064)

in Warrior

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

A lot of traits for every class are built around their profession mechanics. At the most basic level, these traits essentially do the same thing; apply boon on activation, remove condition on activation, added stats while activated etc, etc.

The common denominator here is activation. Activation benifits are often based on two of three things:

Resource: Life force, adrenaline, pet HP
Time: Cooldowns
Accuracy: Connecting with the skill used.

If we look at each profession and see which requirements they have it will look like this:

Elementalist: Attunements swapping only require time.
Engineer: Toolbelt skills only require time.
Guardian: Virtures only require time.
Mesmer: Shatter requires resource and time. And resource is only required for greater effects.
Necromancer: Entering Shroud requires resource and time.
Ranger: Pet swapping requires resource (health) and time.
Revenant: Legend swapping requires time.
Thief: Steal requires time and accuracy.

Warrior: The benefits attributed with burst skills, of which there aren’t all too many to begin with, require resource, time and accuracy

Oddly enough I found myself agreeing with the changes to primal burst adrenaline but I felt some sort of trade-off should have been given back, e.g. entering berserk mode should count as 2 stacks of adrenaline depleted.

But going back to my original argument, it doesn’t make sense that burst attacks are constraint upon 3 things, where every other class only has two. I think accuracy shouldn’t be a criteria for effects like adrenal health, cleansing ire, since you are held back by requiring time and resource to activate it to begin with. Thematically it works too, if the adrenaline is what heals you, expending it should be the cost, not landing the hit.

Either that or missing with a Burst Skill/Primal Burst doesn’t deplete Adrenaline…

…or add some kind of field effect to every Burst/Primal Burst that can be benefited from (a la Combustive Shot) so that it doesn’t matter if you miss…

in Warrior

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

Funny because it used to work that if you missed with a Burst skill it wouldn’t consume adrenaline and the skill would only go on a 5(?)s Cooldown. So back when they designed everything this analysis actually holds up and warrior was only limited to resource and time.

in Warrior

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Funny because it used to work that if you missed with a Burst skill it wouldn’t consume adrenaline and the skill would only go on a 5(?)s Cooldown. So back when they designed everything this analysis actually holds up and warrior was only limited to resource and time.

Remember when we used to carry over adren from the previous fight,not depleting..Always having your foe at his toes because he was not sure if you were about to burst straight away or if youre empty on adren.

Anyway,maybe deplete half adren on a miss instead of all of it ?

in Warrior

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Warrior is the one class they tend to balance around the average player. Everything else is balanced around top tier PvP. The reason burst skills have been gutted is because too many people can’t react to them mostly cause they are bad

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend