Thinking about making a Warrior?- read this.

in Warrior

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

As someone who began gw2 3 years ago playing engineer non-stop. I eventually decided that i’d had enough of it, came back from a year long break and decided to make what i’d originally thought about being in the first place- A warrior.

Now those of you who remember back in the day- Warriors were actually a pretty scary adversary on the front line of any WvW front- particularly mid ranged groups. Warrior “squads” Acted like Calvary swirling through frontlines with greatswords and effectively breaking the monotony.

This was sort of an inspiration to me. Warriors in this game seemed like they fit the role of something that is rarely seen or played in other MMO’s. An all in arms fighter which excelled in full on aggressive play-styles. Typically in other MMO’s the arms archetype is usually not strong enough and people opt to play tankier classes or ranged classes as they usually beat the arms archetype using class specific counter’s like blocking and kiting.

Things have changed quite a bit with Warriors in Gw2 since then.

1. Warriors have had their greatsword nerfed hard (without any re-distribution). In other words, direct, merciless nerfs.

2. Due to the lack of great sword power- many builds which worked well with greatsword (a HUGE number of builds) became obsolete, and now you’re forced into using a bow to be effective in PVP* (My biggest source being metabuilds.com)

*Blacktruth enlightened me that that viable aggressive melee builds do exist, but with close analysis i found that these are just “fun” builds that exceed overwhelmingly against someone who play’s into everything you do. While also lacking the ability to buff allies in any fashion nor having any condition/boon removal threat.

Conclusion/Solution

If you’re thinking of making a Warrior- you should only make one if you’re interpretation of such a class involves being a supportive player. Otherwise you will play for a while and slowly realize that you do just about everything worse than another class DPS and SUBSTAIN wise

I.E

Attempt to make a DPS warrior? Theif and Ranger are far more effective at raw dmg while guardian can DPS just as well AND provide slight supportive effects to allies in the process.

Attemp to make a SUSTAIN warrior? Guardians have surpassed warriors in just about every regard- if you need proof of this simply tune in to some 2014 tournaments and witness for yourself how incredible guardians are at staying alive.

Thats my piece- it saddens me that i have wasted a week with a class which i thought had a completely different play-style than what i was expecting. This will be my last post here as i will no longer be attempting to play this class any longer.

in Warrior

Posted by: Levijeh.1467

Levijeh.1467

Your heart is not of a Warrior, so you’ll be fine. People who actually love the class will keep playing it, I’m not saying warrior is bad at the moment, actually the class is in a good spot despite the consecutive nerfs (some of them fixes imo). But yeah, it’s sad that we have to play a meta build to be effective.

in Warrior

Posted by: BlackTruth.6813

BlackTruth.6813

Those builds that I’ve shown aren’t simply “fun” builds. Those builds have always been mechanically demanding builds.

But I’d rather not have them become easy mode. They should stay hard and maybe they should become more rewarding to pull off.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009
Schwahrheit, #1 Fuhrer NA, Just your everyday typical rager

in Warrior

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

Thats my piece- it saddens me that i have wasted a week with a class which i thought had a completely different play-style than what i was expecting. This will be my last post here as i will no longer be attempting to play this class any longer.

A week? So you played pvp only? Maybe uplevel’d in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Fairly accurate assessment and post for the most part, which surprises me because you’ve said you’ve only played it for a week.

in Warrior

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Uh-huh, yeah. Except that in PvE everybody zergs, so you’re going to be doing damage, in WvW offensive and mobile builds are great with Warrior being one of the best roamers and in sPvP bruiser Hambow builds are one of the most overpowered things in the game right now.

in Warrior

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

I dont want to be rude in saying this, dont get me wrong, but, playing warrior, “is not for the weak” :P

in Warrior

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

#ilovehambow4real

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I still have a way better track record with my warrior in WvW than I do with any of my other characters. Could obviously have something to do with the fact that I’ve got a lot more hours on my warrior than the other classes.

To me, warrior gameplay just feels right. I play a roaming build (switching to a more supportive build if run with the stack in a zerg, of course) which has a very good damage output and great survivability mainly due to a superior mobility. Being able to disengage any time the fight turns into 1v2+ or when you’re caught at a bad moment is priceless in WvW. Even mobility thieves and FGS eles are left eating dust when a mobility warrior sprints off into the horizon.

One – Piken Square

in Warrior

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

i went from playing ranger only to branch out playing warrior, ele, guard and a lil bit of engi.

Ranger does indeed surpass them in most aspects. Warrior can be more all round strong, with good CC, good armor, good damage and good sustain, but it really suffers once it tries to be great at any one of those. because it seems it can only be great in one or two, then have to suck at other things.

you can, with ease, run a banner regen or shout healing build. It should buff you quite a bit, and your allies too. it is very neat in groups.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQRBHdxG2ITHVe25hjH0hIoKowu4BwFV/Q6TIDSBA-TlCHABA8AAq+EAM9BBwOlgMq+ztaGgUPA27P4kyPBOCABAQAc0je0je0jGpAYSZE-w

personally, id tried this. i just noticed a new sigil (givin AOE poison on crit) which could be immensely strong on warrior (since it lacks poison). I am not 100% sure cripple on sigil proc will trigger immob, but if it does, you get a rare chance to spam immob like there is no tomorrow.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

with Warrior being one of the best roamers and in sPvP bruiser Hambow builds are one of the most overpowered things in the game right now.

What?

The best roamers in WvW;

1.Thief
2.Engineer
3.Mesmer
4.Elementalist
5.Ranger
6.Warrior
7.Guardian
8.Necro

Mesmer, Ranger and Elementalist are very debatable, and perhaps guardian should be way higher too, but they lack mobility which is an important tool. But warrior is so outclassed in fighting by the first 5 classes that being mobile is just not enough to call it ‘one of the best’, IMO. Especially when you are talking 1vX. Even in 1v1, however, most classes outright laugh at warrior roaming builds.
Warrior is still regarded as being good at roaming because it is so easy to be decent in roaming with it. High base survivability and mobility allow for a noob-friendly playstyle. This playstyle is soon countered pretty harshly by anything skilled on another class, though.

So you can run away from most, congrats.

And hambow OP? This is new to me, I thought Shoutbow was the new meta. Don’t play enough PvP right now to give any sort of opinion on this though.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Tom Gore.4035

with Warrior being one of the best roamers and in sPvP bruiser Hambow builds are one of the most overpowered things in the game right now.

What?

The best roamers in WvW;

1.Thief
2.Engineer
3.Mesmer
4.Elementalist
5.Ranger
6.Warrior
7.Guardian
8.Necro

Mesmer, Ranger and Elementalist are very debatable, and perhaps guardian should be way higher too, but they lack mobility which is an important tool. But warrior is so outclassed in fighting by the first 5 classes that being mobile is just not enough to call it ‘one of the best’, IMO. Especially when you are talking 1vX. Even in 1v1, however, most classes outright laugh at warrior roaming builds.
Warrior is still regarded as being good at roaming because it is so easy to be decent in roaming with it. High base survivability and mobility allow for a noob-friendly playstyle. This playstyle is soon countered pretty harshly by anything skilled on another class, though.

So you can run away from most, congrats.

And hambow OP? This is new to me, I thought Shoutbow was the new meta. Don’t play enough PvP right now to give any sort of opinion on this though.

Well it depends on what you classify as “roaming”. If you want to go camp capping and dolly slapping (which is what I consider roaming), warrior mobility really shines and it can clear camps really fast. If you want to go dueling/1vXing for just the fun of killing enemy players, I agree the warrior probably isn’t a very solid choice.

One – Piken Square

in Warrior

Prysin.8542

roaming= flipping camps, slappin dollies and stopping enemy players from doing the same to your camps and dollies.

warrior is quick, but even in terms of mobility it can be closely matched by ranger. ranger mobility is just very awkward to get right

in Warrior

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah I just refuse to use ranger sword mobility with about face. It just feels wrong.

One – Piken Square

in Warrior

Prysin.8542

about face is too buggy, easier to just do mouse turn + S then it is to use a button that sometimes does 2x spin cuz of random lagspike.
but yeh, ranger sword 2 leaping is darn awkward, but once you’re used to it, then it is no prob. Only wish it didnt have such a long wind up. ruins the purpose of the skill (evade then counter attack).

in Warrior

Posted by: chibbi.3706

chibbi.3706

I play a zerker Greatsword/longbow in PvP and I do fine with it. So as far as being a dps goes, no problem for me.
About that “forced to play with a bow”, might be true in sPvP because it’s really just so strong and offer a lot of versatility. But in WvW i’ve never played with one and have a blast with GS/axe in your face build, and you can honestly roll with anything you want if you wanna roam WvW. And if you think about it, most true warriors in real life had good bow skills, so it actually makes more sense to play with a bow/melee combination than with double melee.
As far as being in a zerg in WvW, i’ve always hated that kitten, but I’m pretty sure they still use a hammer/sword horn combination.

in Warrior

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

*Blacktruth enlightened me that that viable aggressive melee builds do exist, but with close analysis i found that these are just “fun” builds that exceed overwhelmingly against someone who play’s into everything you do. While also lacking the ability to buff allies in any fashion nor having any condition/boon removal threat.

This is in essence what a Greatsword/Hammer build is. It’s fun and aggressive until you meet the Ranger/One of the Condition Kings/the Evasion Thief/PU Mesmer or the Turret Engineer. Then you come back to reality and realize the meta builds are required because of such focus.

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

What?

The best roamers in WvW;

1.Thief
2.Engineer
3.Mesmer
4.Elementalist
5.Ranger
6.Warrior
7.Guardian
8.Necro

Mesmer, Ranger and Elementalist are very debatable, and perhaps guardian should be way higher too, but they lack mobility which is an important tool. But warrior is so outclassed in fighting by the first 5 classes that being mobile is just not enough to call it ‘one of the best’, IMO. Especially when you are talking 1vX. Even in 1v1

And hambow OP? This is new to me

Well lets talk about 1vX and hambow’s then
Let me show you how I play hambow 1vX

And thiefs on nr1 of roamers ? LOL Dont make me laugh!
I eat thiefs while sleeping ;/

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

(edited by Hoaxintelligence.4628)

in Warrior

Invoker.5462

This is in essence what a Greatsword/Hammer build is. It’s fun and aggressive until you meet the Ranger/One of the Condition Kings/the Evasion Thief/PU Mesmer or the Turret Engineer. Then you come back to reality and realize the meta builds are required because of such focus.

+1

If you view any of the outnumbered video’s done by proven players- you’ll notice that in each one the warrior is usually the least threatening and actually gets put down as a priority as it so easy to kill.

in Warrior

Invoker.5462

What?

The best roamers in WvW;

1.Thief
2.Engineer
3.Mesmer
4.Elementalist
5.Ranger
6.Warrior
7.Guardian
8.Necro

Mesmer, Ranger and Elementalist are very debatable, and perhaps guardian should be way higher too, but they lack mobility which is an important tool. But warrior is so outclassed in fighting by the first 5 classes that being mobile is just not enough to call it ‘one of the best’, IMO. Especially when you are talking 1vX. Even in 1v1

And hambow OP? This is new to me

Well lets talk about 1vX and hambow’s then
Let me show you how I play hambow 1vX

And thiefs on nr1 of roamers ? LOL Dont make me laugh!
I eat thiefs while sleeping ;/

Hey bud- i went ahead and watched your vid- similar to my note about blacktruth, that theif in the start of the video played into everything you did. You were standing in one spot mashing ability’s and the thief just stood in it. Why would he do that? Then we came out of stealth he hit you one time and retreated for no reason.

These types of video’s spread such an awful impression of how classes actually preform and for some reason i have never seen a single warrior video with commentary explaining each fight- it’s usually just some kittened dubstep showing off some big crits or something.

in Warrior

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

If you compare today’s spvp/wvw warrior with the warrior 2+ years ago you will come to the conclusion warrior is better now. So considering the buffs and nerfs it still got more buffs than nerfs.

For example cleansing ire and burst mastery trait changes in the past were major improvements.

Axe offhand got buffs, rifle got buffs, hammer #4, etc…

For spvp warriors have shoutbow, for pve banners and for wvw shouts+flurry. Viable in all game modes.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

(edited by xDudisx.5914)

in Warrior

Cygnus.6903

Hey bud- i went ahead and watched your vid- similar to my note about blacktruth, that theif in the start of the video played into everything you did. You were standing in one spot mashing ability’s and the thief just stood in it. Why would he do that? Then we came out of stealth he hit you one time and retreated for no reason.

Amen to this.

And let me add that the hambow was not played well, you actually used Backbreaker randomly while the thief was in stealth. Hoping to hit something you can’t see that has a 20-25 second cooldown, gg. Standing inside the black powder field to get blinded twice, gg. Also, hambow in roaming? LoL?

Just a lot of skill spamming and people standing right inside your firefield/hammer stuns.

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

I dont do commentary. I’m not that type of guy of the: subscribe now! This and that. I just record so I can analyze myself to be a better player. You guys are welcome in my pvp lobby. At me if you want to. Then I will show you every corner of the ring only if your ready for a big punishment ofc

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Cygnus you laughing because I use hambow for roaming? I bet I beat the crap out of you with hambow xD !

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

let make this more fun – Lets play a best of 5.
If you beat me – I give you 20 gold. If I beat you, you give me 20 gold.
If that’s oke with you ofc
Or we can just duel for fun ^^

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Tom Gore.4035

I wanna see that duel, so one you better record it.

One – Piken Square

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

thats only if he got the balls

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

I dont even care if I i lose or not – I just like to gamble xD

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

My feelings say thats he’s a chicken right now – but we will see ^^

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Cygnus.6903

I’ll duel anybody, why not? I hope you don’t think I actually care enough to be sad if some scrub on hambow defeats me in a 1v1.

Does not prove anything, as I regard myself an average player at best. And I do not even have 20 gold, I only roam WvW.

Yet, you are completely missing the point here. I was not commenting on hambow in a dueling sense, but in a roaming sense. And in roaming, it sucks. Sure, you have an advantage when fighting a GS/Hammer warrior, but that’s not roaming, that’s 1v1. You are bringing a PvP spec to solo roaming, so any and all fights against a player of similar skill level that has an advantageous build or another person with him will end up in your death.

Also, try fighting some serious thieves.

I dont do commentary. I’m not that type of guy of the: subscribe now! This and that. I just record so I can analyze myself to be a better player. You guys are welcome in my pvp lobby. At me if you want to. Then I will show you every corner of the ring only if your ready for a big punishment ofc

Right, you don’t do commentary, nor are looking for subs, yet you do post your vids on yt.

Also, we can fight in your arena all you want, I can probably use some practice. I wasn’t talking PvP though, as mentioned before.

My feelings say thats he’s a chicken right now – but we will see ^^

Really? I hope you do get a sense of self-esteem without calling people out like this.

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Im just teasing you dont take it to serious man.
Ofcourse I know that Im not the best warr on this planet but that doesnt mean that a roamer can duel another roamer for fun. If you win I shake your hand like a man and you will get my respect. If I win I will do the same. I just want to duel decent players, thats the only way to get better.
I added you but Im working atm.

And yes, I fought many serious thiefs.
Here an skilled roamer from FoF from Kodash.
Platinum Raider fully buffed up with guardstacks. He roams allot.
Seems pretty serious to me

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

BlackTruth.6813

Also, one more thing, I guess a DPS Warrior who chain CC’s as they DPS doesn’t provide any “support” for the team.

That aside, you’re better off changing your conclusion to:

“Don’t touch the Warrior class if you have no idea how Warrior can support your team through aggressive crowd control and not only through boons and shouts.”

sPvP-wise
Tank Warrior is probably the best point holder in the game atm and still be useful cause they can still build chain CC mace + hammer while doing so.

DPS Warrior is definitely one of the highest skill cap DPS in the game other than Thief and arguably the best cleave.

People really should just watch my stream instead of wasting time on the forums.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009

in Warrior

Cygnus.6903

Im just teasing you dont take it to serious man.
Ofcourse I know that Im not the best warr on this planet but that doesnt mean that a roamer can duel another roamer for fun. If you win I shake your hand like a man and you will get my respect. If I win I will do the same. I just want to duel decent players, thats the only way to get better.
I added you but Im working atm.

And yes, I fought many serious thiefs.
Here an skilled roamer from FoF from Kodash.
Platinum Raider fully buffed up with guardstacks. He roams allot.
Seems pretty serious to me

This sounds more like it. No offense, but you came across a little kitteny before. Maybe I do too, so w/e. Let’s duel it out and have some fun, who knows, maybe get better in the process.

Also working right now, and will be till late this night. Earliest I’ll be available for a duel is probably somewhere this saturday.

Watched the vid btw, I was exploring your channel after the first link. Entertaining fight, though he clearly had a shot at taking you out at around the 2 minute mark. Kudo’s for surviving.

Will see you ingame.

in Warrior

BlackTruth.6813

Like for real people, if you’re just that bad at landing CC on Warrior, then you’re bad no matter what build you play on the class and should just re-roll.

I would say learning how to land CC chains and landing CC in the first place is what defines a good Warrior. Pretty much support through CC is what Warriors have over other classes without having the need for peels like Necromancer.

http://www.twitch.tv/blacktruth009/c/6152446

TL;DR Warrior a class for mechanically intensive players.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009

in Warrior

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

People really should just watch my stream instead of wasting time on the forums.

Getting pretty desperate now aren’t ya?

in Warrior

Cygnus.6903

I sniff more duels about to happen.

in Warrior

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Haha yea we both did but thats finee ^^
And thanks man. tbh I thought I was going to die at that point.
My hearthbeat was going crazy haha I love that stuff.
Cool man ceeya saturday!

U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Posted by: chibbi.3706

chibbi.3706

To the guy looking for a commentary video, afro did a few :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae38NB-tMbM