Viability of GS in PvE?

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: Ceta.7245

Ceta.7245

To break up the complaints of the new elite specs in every class forum, here’s a question for you:

How viable is GS in PvE? (mostly open world, dungeons and raids)

I love the GS, I love the legendaries and I just want to smack kitten with a big sword.

However, for condi Sword/Torch seems to be the build to go, while nobody really tries power as everyone thinks it’s overnerfed. Are those assumptions valid or did I just not dig deep enough find a viable GS build?

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: TheSlothArmada.6709

TheSlothArmada.6709

If you want to fill an actual pure DPS role in a fractal or raid, then GS is a terrible low DPS choice. It can be used as pPS, but cPS just does much better than it in every way. So the problem is: Not only was power overnerfed, but condi was then buffed so much that you basically don’t have a choice anymore if you want to do the max possible DPS for both supportive and offensive builds.

In dungeons, it doesn’t really matter what you play as long as it isn’t terrible
Open world go wild. . .

The conclusion:
Raids/Fractals: Pure DPS role is not viable, you might as well go pPS since the DPS you personally gain doesn’t compare to the DPS you can give to your party, but even then pPS isn’t an optimal choice.

Dungeons: Same thing as fractals/raids

Open World: Have fun lol

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

GS underperform is proof that warrior is trashed, this weapon should receive a buff, since, the biggest reason many players take warrior is the classic facetank with a giant weapon.

But if u want go with GS, the less underperform is hibrid condi+power.
Full Viper+Berserker Runes // Strengt+Arms+Berserker.

Atm with this build GS underperforming even the hammer. If u use Hammer instead of GS with this setup, pickup a trait the gives hammer bonuses, u will end with a nice Confusion Spammer.

Attachments:

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

ugrakarma.9416

this is the Jack of all cards build, u can travel with sword+torch//hammer and change weapon with little traits change. Gear Must be VIPER. Runes of berserker. With hammer, u spam Confusion, Bleed, Burn, decent 3k criticals hits, and a insane Break CC Bar monster..

Attachments:

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dean.4876

Dean.4876

ugrakarma.9416 Can this build be used now? what Utility Skills would you use? looking to get my warrior through HoT and was looking for a build. any help would be helpful.

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

In OW pve, if you want to go as a power warrior, double axe is the way to go. It has far more damage than the GS, and with the GS, you will lose and die a greater percentage of your fights. The only thing that GS gives you is some greater mobility and a gap closer. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

In OW pve, if you want to go as a power warrior, double axe is the way to go. It has far more damage than the GS, and with the GS, you will lose and die a greater percentage of your fights. The only thing that GS gives you is some greater mobility and a gap closer. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Axe/Axe also gives insane adrenaline gain which pairs well with BP, Adrenal, and Ire.

Axe/Axe power crit with mace/shield for defense/breakbar was a build I used for a long time in OW

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

To break up the complaints of the new elite specs in every class forum, here’s a question for you:

I love the GS, I love the legendaries and I just want to smack kitten with a big sword.

However, for condi Sword/Torch seems to be the build to go, while nobody really tries power as everyone thinks it’s overnerfed. Are those assumptions valid or did I just not dig deep enough find a viable GS build?

U are thinking this the wrong way. Yes gs has been nerfed a bit but certainly not overnerfed, the true difference maker is that condi ps has been buffed time and time again. So on one hand u have power build the never was particularly amazing and on the other hand u have a totally overpowered condi build. Probably the best dps build if u gear for full dps. It’s busted.

Most people who wanna really use GS will mostly play guard atm, sad but true.

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Axe is a better open world weapon now. GS not bad but axe just bettet

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

U are thinking this the wrong way. Yes gs has been nerfed a bit but certainly not overnerfed, the true difference maker is that condi ps has been buffed time and time again. So on one hand u have power build the never was particularly amazing and on the other hand u have a totally overpowered condi build. Probably the best dps build if u gear for full dps. It’s busted.

Condi ps was (directly) buffed twice. The first buff was like 2% and that’s when It came to favor. It was a better option for ps when hot was released but no one ran it cause it want “meta”

So yes GS was over nerfed as it hasn’t been thed best option in 2 years anyways

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Greatsword sucks/suffered because of PVP.

At game start bullcharge + frenzy + 100b = dead in spvp, so anet nerfed the crap out of GS.

Now that PVP/WvW/PVE are being split more and more balance-wise it’s time to restore damage to the greatsword. 1 alone could use a 30% damage buff just to be competitive with axe.

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416 Can this build be used now? what Utility Skills would you use? looking to get my warrior through HoT and was looking for a build. any help would be helpful.

heres the full build pic and a short video.

This build have tons of CC at same time u are proc many conditions on them, is good for pesky HoT mobs.

Remenber Full Viper+Berserker Runes. Notice the conditions applied to mobs.
Can deal easily with packs of Veterans.
For bosses this build is a Defiance Bar overkill!

Attachments:

Viability of GS in PvE?

in Warrior

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Condi ps was (directly) buffed twice. The first buff was like 2% and that’s when It came to favor. It was a better option for ps when hot was released but no one ran it cause it want “meta”

So yes GS was over nerfed as it hasn’t been thed best option in 2 years anyways

This is inaccurate. It was the better option when condi PS could not upkeep 25 might by itself, which after the buff to for great justice, it lost that.

The condi PS rotation was always easier and less punishing, hence why people were always running it. It also did more damage, especially before the F1 was nerfed to not hit the same target multiple times with different fire fields.