War vs ranged thieves

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

Well this applies to all classes in general, but how do we deal with ranged thieves? In my experience backstab is easy enough since you realize at some point they will have to get close or run away but ranged thieves also seem to have a decent amount of stealth ( not as much as backstab) and don’t ever have to get close so it is harder to predict where they will appear. Any suggestion?

Battlelord Taeres

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: Vex.7486

Vex.7486

Missile deflection and stomp his shadow refuge.

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: MiniAchilles.4617

MiniAchilles.4617

There are a couple of builds the most popular and easy being Pistol/Dagger, they stack bleeds like crazy and kite you when they aren’t in Stealth, Condition Removal doesn’t work that great against them because there bleeds don’t last a long time and they can stack them very easily (The chain being CnD>Auto attack).

It’s hard to counter other than trying to predict where they are and using AoE attacks around that area I haven’t found a particular technique that works against them. They can afford to be a bit more Tanky as well.

That’s the only build I really have a problem with from Thieves any more. Is there a particular Weapon Set from the Thieves arsenal that you’re having trouble with? The Bow isn’t much of a main weapon set afaik and Pistol/Pistol is said to have weak damage but I don’t have much experience playing a Thief.

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: Cycloney.2640

Cycloney.2640

Imo, most people continue fighting. I normally run away with GS abilities, once i see the class wasting his dodge or some other abilities to reach me, i bull rush + frenzy + hundred blade them off.

Surprise them.

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: Madjack.4598

Madjack.4598

Imo, most people continue fighting. I normally run away with GS abilities, once i see the class wasting his dodge or some other abilities to reach me, i bull rush + frenzy + hundred blade them off.

Surprise them.

Agreed. Patience is a virtue. and this is the only real way to do it.

knockdowns, stuns, what ever CC you can use will prevent them from doing anything. P/D, D/P is a tough combo to beat because it has a lot of mobility, they basically shadowstep in and out, then heartseeker you to death.

Its all about keeping up to the thief with mobility, I know it sounds ridiculous a warrior keeping up to a thief in mobility, but it is totally feasible… for a short burst. so don’t try it until after they have popped their stealth.

oh, and don’t hundred blade in the black powder. I’ve gotten too many of you guys like that.

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Easy, you go rifle and out-damage the hell outta short-bow.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

I am going to assume you are talking about P/D because shortbow isn’t great as a main weapon and P/P is very uncommon. I have been using P/D for like over 400 hours now, and I will give some tips as to how I would counter myself.

Well, where to begin. I would suggest trying to stay ranged and defeat us before we can really start stacking bleeds like crazy, whilst our auto attack has bleeds, our main source of damage comes from CnD>Auto Attack. This applies a lot of bleeds. To use CnD though, we need to get into melee range, and this is quite easy for us due to shadowstep, steal and infiltrator’s arrow.

The things I find that annoy me is being pinned, what I mean by this is knockdowns or immobilizes because they annoy the crap out of me. I cannot get into the correct positioning to continue my kiting assault on the enemy which allows them to deal serious damage, for most of my survival comes from stealth + healing traits when stealth.

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: sinister.9216

sinister.9216

I R WARRIOR. I use sword/axe and usually rifle. I have tried other weapon builds, but have found that sword/axe is generally the best choice. You have your auto-attack-cleave. You have a gap closer on a 8 second CD. You have a cripple. You have a good dmg single target attack which procs fury, and best of all, a spinny aoe blender that you can actually move while using.

Last night I got jumped by 2 thieves, 1 d/d and 1 p/d. One was actually 80 and geared, the other was scaled up. I bullrush one and use my spinny axe thingy. 1 thief down. As I have a lot of toughness/vitality, I was able to lazily auto attack the downed thief until he died while the 80/geared thief -attempted- to attack me. This thief kept switching between p/d and shortbow. Neither did much damage to me and I was able to stay on top of him with sword #2 and bullrush. He finally gave up and tried to run away, but i busted out the rifle and #3’d him. Dead thief.

So yea. Dont use a greatsword I guess. I did for a long time, but the more I used it the more it seemed mostly ineffective unless you’re trying to escape, and even then sword is better cuz of the shorter cooldown. And you can use your sword #2 to jump across gaps you couldnt normally clear cuz you jump a bit farther. Lets not forget that 100b is one of the easier abilities to avoid. I used to crush noobs with it, but most good players will just … move. >.>

Tywin Onassis – 80 Necro Mez Yar – 40ish Mesmer
Uri Nightshade – 50ish Thief
Sarugaki Hiyori – 80 Warrior – Blackgate [FEAR]

War vs ranged thieves

in Warrior

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

Never compare a scaled up toon to an equipped level 80 toon. If both of these were proper Thiefs, you downed one and would have gotten ganked by the other Or they could use hide+teleport tricks to get back up… point being, low level and unskilled toons are not worth mentioning.

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer