Warrior or Guard for zerg?

in Warrior

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

Which is better at keeping the zerg alive and going in wvw, a guardian or a warrior. It seems the guardian has ways of healing the zerg with their staff and has some crowd control with their hammer. Also they have shouts and symbols that can give the zerg buffs.

Warriors seem to have more crown control with their hammer and utilities. Also they seem to have more hp so they can live longer (Im not sure about this since guards have AH and can keep their 15k hp pool up with shouts). They can buff the zerg a little with things like “for great justice” and maybe a banner (though zergs are usually on the move so im not sure if banners are very helpful)

Also if you had both classes fully geared who would you prefer to lead the zerg with incase you wanted to some day throw up that commander tag?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

in Warrior

Posted by: Phate.4871

Phate.4871

Coming from one who has test drove a guard wvw and mains a norn warrior, guard is the better choice for leading and personal survivability. They get the stability and protection, which makes or breaks fights, as blocking CC is critical. A warrior I dont think has group stability(not that I’ve seen nor used). Protection and aegis are huge for survival and a guard can not go down as often, which means more rezzing and also more uptime for bags.

FA warrior and mesmer.

in Warrior

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

if built correctly, both are just as survivable, warriors have better offensively played, and guardians provide better team support.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

As a main Warrior, I’d go for a “Commander” Warrior build. Hammer/Longbow/Shout Healing. Too lazy to do gear on that site, but Clerics, with Soldiers runes.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQJASTngO08YyDSBhDZAB9QD5itQVAOSPID0INA-w

Hammer is a solid group melee weapon, Earthshaker, Hammer Shock, etc.

When you get into a siege/siegebreak, or a zerg vs zerg standoff, Longbow is where it’s at. Good adren from auto, Arc arrow is strong and can be used with fire field for AOE might, burst is excellent damage and a fire field.

Shouts can buff, heal, shed condis, for you and your zerg, and will build up adrenaline for more earthshakers or longbow fire fields.

Give it a try.

in Warrior

Savoy.6824

It does appear that a warrior can not spread stability, protection, or aegis. It appears that a guard with a mace/shield combo along with shouts can pump out protection. But I dont see much CC in that setup. I guess its up to the warrior to knock peeps down and the guardians job to keep team members up.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

in Warrior

Dand.8231

its up to the warrior to knock peeps down and the guardians job to keep team members up.

Attachments:

in Warrior

Savoy.6824

Thanks Dand, I didnt think of it from the side of fighting on the walls. I do love long bow for those situations and I dont see a good way to deal with that on a guard. Well I suppose they can set up some arrow carts, but then again so could a warrior. Do the shouts heal just you or do they heal team mates as well?

in Warrior

Posted by: Asura.5301

Asura.5301

Shouts heal up to 5 people, and if you use soldier runes (wich you should use with this build) ist also removes 1 condition for each shout

in Warrior

Posted by: Veritas.6071

Veritas.6071

For entertainment purposes =)
———-
http://youtu.be/RRnwIi6qr2w?t=6m39s

Some parts aren’t so impressive, but it shows how well coordinated Guardians can anchor a zerg.

This is what coordinated warriors can do.

Ve·ri·tas [English ver-i-tahs] A Latin noun meaning Truth.

(edited by Veritas.6071)

in Warrior

Savoy.6824

LOL thanks for that Veritas. That settles it, im getting the new aetherized hammer with my ticket and making me a hammer warrior. I dont like having to respec all the time but after they nerf COF I shouldnt need my full zerker as much anymore. By the way is “Lords of Death” still around? I play on stormbluff isle. I know they said they were going to Darkfall but that game came out months ago. Did they come back by any chance?

in Warrior

Posted by: Veritas.6071

Veritas.6071

Their site makes me think they moved to Darkfall. You could poke around there, and maybe a few of them are still lingering in GW2.

Ve·ri·tas [English ver-i-tahs] A Latin noun meaning Truth.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

im getting the new aetherized hammer

Ew, dat skin…. I changed my mind. You should go roll a Guard, cause no self respecting warrior would be caught dead using that

in Warrior

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

LOL thanks for that Veritas. That settles it, im getting the new aetherized hammer with my ticket and making me a hammer warrior. I dont like having to respec all the time but after they nerf COF I shouldnt need my full zerker as much anymore. By the way is “Lords of Death” still around? I play on stormbluff isle. I know they said they were going to Darkfall but that game came out months ago. Did they come back by any chance?

take note that that video was made like 8 months ago, and they were fighting almost 100% uplevels. if they tried that without any support nowadays, they would get absolutely destroyed by blind/chill spam.

in Warrior

Posted by: kurtosis.9526

kurtosis.9526

I play both, frontline zerging with both. Warrior is more fun, but guardian is “better at keeping the zerg alive and going in wvw.”

Guardians are fundamentally defensive-oriented, Warriors are fundamentally offensive-oriented. You can make a Warrior defensive-oriented too with a bunker/commander/zerg build, but it doesn’t fit together as well as a Guardian bunker/commander/zerg build, and doesn’t contain quite the level of group support.

That said, there is nothing more fun in WvW zerging than a Hammer warrior. Guardians are fun and effective, but boring by comparison.

in Warrior

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

At OP…. You are trying to choose between the two most important classes in any zerg. There is no better choice. Just pick the one you like the most.

in Warrior

Savoy.6824

Ill have to get them both outfitted for wvw and see how they play. Right now there both pve speced. Im leaning towards warrior since they seem to have functionality during all parts of the battle. Im not sure what guards do when defending walls other than throw up wall of reflect and spam buffs for people. I need to look into this more.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

Im not sure what guards do when defending walls other than throw up wall of reflect and spam buffs for people. I need to look into this more.

Guards: Throw up reflections, bubbles, shields, lines, whatever you got. Give your allies a safe spot on the wall to attack from. Use your scepter AOE, it hits quite hard. Scepter auto is sort of a bust however. I’m told your Guard offensive book elite works through gates with some clever targeting. Never tried it myself. Also keep a stability button available in case they pull you down, so you can dive back into the portal.

Warriors: Longbow. Seriously, longbow from the wall. One of the better siege/anti-siege options out there. Arcing arrow AOE hurts, Burst AOE Fire Field damage, Fast Adrenaline generation. Keep a stability button (same reason).

Either: Leap down into the enemy zerg to cause a little pain, CC, and distraction (so your teammates can get shots in from the wall while they focus you) and then use your escape plan to dive back through the Portal. Wait for your escape plan to come off of cooldown, and repeat.

Your escape plan should include plenty of blocks, invulnerable, and stability, otherwise its just a foolish suicide mission. For a Warrior, equip Death from Above trait, Stomp, Endure Pain, and Balanced Stance. For Guard, Shelter 6, Invul elite (forgot name), etc.

Focus on the Ram users. Every second you keep them off their rams, is a second they’re effectively standing around with their thumbs up their rear. If you can coordinate several bunkers all leaping down at the same time, and then your allies raining AOE from the walls, you can really slow a zergs progress with inferior numbers.