Warrior or Guardian for PVE

in Warrior

Posted by: Siamak.8126

Siamak.8126

Hey guys, I have both Warrior and Guardian and like both of them but for the life of me can’t decide which one to go with as my main, here are my basic needs if helps advise me on which would be better for me:
1. Survivability/durable ( very important )
2. Good Damage
3. Mainly PVE and Dungeons
4. PVP is not very important but like to try it from time to time.

in Warrior

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Hey guys, I have both Warrior and Guardian and like both of them but for the life of me can’t decide which one to go with as my main, here are my basic needs if helps advise me on which would be better for me:
2. Good Damage

Kill it before it kills you. No sustainability. Warriors have the durability of a red solo cup in a party. AKA, have a blast before your thrown away.

2. Good Damage
Warrior is the best damage in the game, if your enemies stand still, to bad that isn’t the case, if the enemies move the Guardian does more damage.

Guardians are a required class in most high in fractals because of how good they are.

I dunno.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

(edited by Daecollo.9578)

in Warrior

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

2. Good Damage

Kill it before it kills you. No sustainability. Warriors have the durability of a red solo cup in a party. AKA, have a blast before your thrown away.

2. Good Damage
Warrior is the best damage in the game, if your enemies stand still, to bad that isn’t the case, if the enemies move the Guardian does more damage.

Guardians are a required class in most high in fractals because of how good they are.

I dunno.

^This. You might want to factor in that in general PvE outside fractals warrior and guardian are both looked at as very good classes. There are some QoL with guardians being a bit slow compared to warrior when getting around the world and their range option being inferior to our own. However, if none of that matter then guardian is the better bet. That being said many players seem to lean based on game play. Both are pretty active classes but I can tell you for me I find guardian a bit boring. That doesn’t mean it always boring but I do find more variety and flexible builds (in respect to weapons) on warrior.

Either way you’ll be a welcome addition to any party.

4. In spvp guardian hands down is the better class. In WvW its more ambiguous.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Warrior

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

Rush is a 9k hit by itself, whirlwind can be 10k as well. Axe can still out dps a guardian as well. I can survive on my berserker warrior just fine.

AmateurNet

in Warrior

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

Guardian is a good meat shield, warrior can be a good meat shield but is not exactly as good, in the end however your survivability depends more on your ability to dodge rather than armor or anything else.

2. Good Damage

Warriors are versatile and have some of the highest if not the highest damage int he game if spec correctly. Even with a tank build HB should be going above the 12k on low cool down, if spec and geared for damage this can go up to 40k+ damage. Warriors adapt well to multiple targets from range and melee while gurdians are good or decent damage dealers but as a defensive class don’t really shine as much, they are really great support though. Based on my experience as both they tend to be boring as hell after a while though, too simple imo.

I done fractals and dungeons with both classes along with ranger and thief. Warriors all the way, I spec for dps with survivability and a spash of control, since I carry every weapon available to me in my bags “Exotics” I can adapt to any fight by switching weapons and a few traits. Thus making my warrior far more versatile.

Both do good in WvW, I prefer warrior over all for WvW as I do more Zerg control and have an easier time 1 v 1 vs most classes, on the other side my guardian is great for badge farming with my elite skills, spam 1 + click with dps book and you will see the bags covering the floor. Warrior however adapts well to defense with long bow, control with hammer + off mace, survival with shield and traveling with horn + sword so on it goes.

in Warrior

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

At the current state of game, Warrior for PvE mass-farming and Guardian for everything else if you have to choose between just these two classes.

in Warrior

Siamak.8126

Guardian is a good meat shield, warrior can be a good meat shield but is not exactly as good, in the end however your survivability depends more on your ability to dodge rather than armor or anything else.

2. Good Damage

Warriors are versatile and have some of the highest if not the highest damage int he game if spec correctly. Even with a tank build HB should be going above the 12k on low cool down, if spec and geared for damage this can go up to 40k+ damage. Warriors adapt well to multiple targets from range and melee while gurdians are good or decent damage dealers but as a defensive class don’t really shine as much, they are really great support though. Based on my experience as both they tend to be boring as hell after a while though, too simple imo.

I done fractals and dungeons with both classes along with ranger and thief. Warriors all the way, I spec for dps with survivability and a spash of control, since I carry every weapon available to me in my bags “Exotics” I can adapt to any fight by switching weapons and a few traits. Thus making my warrior far more versatile.

Both do good in WvW, I prefer warrior over all for WvW as I do more Zerg control and have an easier time 1 v 1 vs most classes, on the other side my guardian is great for badge farming with my elite skills, spam 1 + click with dps book and you will see the bags covering the floor. Warrior however adapts well to defense with long bow, control with hammer + off mace, survival with shield and traveling with horn + sword so on it goes.

Can you please do me a favor and guide me on gear/strategies on Warrior, currently im around level 37 or so and when there are 3-4 mobs surrounding me, im pretty much dead meat. even my buddie who is a lvl 70 warrior having the same issue as me, he put on full knight and cleric gear but his damage is so low. if he put on full zerker gear he dies pretty quick with 3-4 mobs, and problem is you can only dodge 2 times and have to wait for the bar to fill up and most of the time i die before then.

Also in AC story mode I almost die instantly if I ever go melee, I dont have my guardian high enough to take him there but i have a feeling it will be the same situation.

(edited by Siamak.8126)

in Warrior

Daecollo.9578

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

Rush is a 9k hit by itself, whirlwind can be 10k as well. Axe can still out dps a guardian as well. I can survive on my berserker warrior just fine.

Rush has a 75% miss chance, Whirlwind almost never hits its full 10k.

Yes, the damage is ridiculous, but if you can’t land the damage it really doesn’t matter.

Its why 100b is worthless in pvp, it does SO MUCH DAMAGE. to bad moving out of the way or a sidestep can negate 90% of it. It happens in PvE too, especially in guild bounties. It really shows you HOW BAD the warrior actually is.

in Warrior

Siamak.8126

Can you please do me a favor and guide me on gear/strategies on Warrior, currently im around level 37 or so and when there are 3-4 mobs surrounding me, im pretty much dead meat. even my buddie who is a lvl 70 warrior having the same issue as me, he put on full knight and cleric gear but his damage is so low. if he put on full zerker gear he dies pretty quick with 3-4 mobs, and problem is you can only dodge 2 times and have to wait for the bar to fill up and most of the time i die before then.
Also in AC story mode I almost die instantly if I ever go melee, I dont have my guardian high enough to take him there but i have a feeling it will be the same situation.

everytime i get smashed in dungeon i feel that maybe i made a mistake and should have gone with guardian but as soon as i play guardian i miss all the cool weapons and abilities my warrior has, not to mention i always played Warrior class in all my games.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Knights with cleric gear? Yuuuuck.
Full DPS all the way. Warrior damage in PvE is OP considering our health pool and heavy armour, we can mince up the targets before needing to heal/taking any hits.

Dungeons are slightly different and advise you to stay out of AC until you’re level 80 and clad in exotics. I know it’s silly but even some parties of all 80’s have difficulty with this dungeon..

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant explorable, I have no idea if Story Mode was altered but I don’t believe it was, just take at least one person who has finished it before and you should be okay (I’m about to log on for that matter if you’re interested.)

Just yea… Never put Healing Power or Condition Damage on a Warrior.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Daecollo.9578

Full DPS all the way. Warrior damage in PvE is OP considering our health pool and heavy armour, we can mince up the targets before needing to heal/taking any hits.

Dungeons are slightly different and advise you to stay out of AC until you’re level 80 and clad in exotics. I know it’s silly but even some parties of all 80’s have difficulty with this dungeon..

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant explorable, I have no idea if Story Mode was altered but I don’t believe it was, just take at least one person who has finished it before and you should be okay (I’m about to log on for that matter if you’re interested.)

Warrior is useless in most guild bountys because the mobs NEVER STAND STILL.

in Warrior

Dolan.3071

^ Then it’s good training for PvP. Combo up some CC and Immobilise with some gap closers to maximise bursts. Though PvE mobs have much higher health than PvP opponents….

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Siamak.8126

So from what I gathered so far, for PVE, Dungeons, damage + Survivability, Warrior is a good choice, correct?

in Warrior

Posted by: Nocturnal.5023

Nocturnal.5023

I beg to differ for this guild bounty comment. Because I’m usually the one to survive and revive others during guild bounty event. As a warrior, you have a wide range of weapons at your disposal and you need to use this to your advantage. For guild bounty, or dungeons like fractals, just switch to rifle/bow and you can do great damage at range.

youtube.com/hungryasuras

in Warrior

Dolan.3071

So from what I gathered so far, for PVE, Dungeons, damage + Survivability, Warrior is a good choice, correct?

Warriors are PvE gods. The best teams have at least 3…

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Siamak.8126

I beg to differ for this guild bounty comment. Because I’m usually the one to survive and revive others during guild bounty event. As a warrior, you have a wide range of weapons at your disposal and you need to use this to your advantage. For guild bounty, or dungeons like fractals, just switch to rifle/bow and you can do great damage at range.

I know as a Warrior I can just go rifle/bow and dps from distance but is it possible and doable to melee dps in dungeons since thats what i like best?

in Warrior

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

1. Not much of an issue unless you expect to Face tank anything. With Signet of Stamina and Vigor from Warhorn and Furious Reaction (not necessary), it’s not too much of an issue. Now if you try to Hundred Blades an enemy and root yourself for 3s+…

2. Besides Hundred Blades, what else is hurt by a moving enemy?
With overall party CC and axe main hand, this is not an issue.

3. You need one guardian, and one guardian only. That guardian must have a respectable amount of DPS on top of the support. Besides that, it’s primarily Warriors.
What have you been playing? It becomes all about “kill before killed” in higher fracs and dodge/invulnerability becomes your “tanking.”
Signet of Stamina, Endure Pain, Shield #5, Warhorn #5 all become much more valuable than any guardian helping you (besides the initial one).

4. PvP is the one area where I agree that Warrior needs help.

in Warrior

Dolan.3071

I know as a Warrior I can just go rifle/bow and dps from distance but is it possible and doable to melee dps in dungeons since thats what i like best?

Warriors should ALWAYS be in melee range. With the exception of higher level fractals and a few ‘ranged only’ bosses.

Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

in Warrior

Posted by: Mikhail.4961

Mikhail.4961

Siamak, don’t bother with Daecollo. He’s convinced that his own lack of skill means the class is broken.

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

1. With a naturally high health pool, armour and dodges available (and evades through the WW), we do have survivability, but no profession can just stand there and take it: and none should. To be a good warrior you need to keep your feet moving. Need to land a 100B? Then you stand behind your enemy or at least have the sucker knocked down (or apply frenzy+endure pain). If you’re wearing all Berserker’s and just standing like a chump, taking the damage, you deserve to go down.

2. Warriors have excellent damage on the move: axes are mobile weapons (fun fact about the fifth axe skill: you can move, dodge and jump while channeling) and aside from a hammer skill and 100B, you can keep on strafing.

3. So are warriors for the sheer amount of damage they bring.

Any class is easy to play, but not as easy to master. So sod off, warrior-haters.

in Warrior

Siamak.8126

I decided to go with Warrior, can you guys please help link me a good build for both Greatsword/rifle and axe/axe/longbow for leveling, also what gear and stats im looking to have while leveling and some tips to have maximum Survivability against 3-4 mobs is much appreciated.

in Warrior

Daecollo.9578

Siamak, don’t bother with Daecollo. He’s convinced that his own lack of skill means the class is broken.

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

1. With a naturally high health pool, armour and dodges available (and evades through the WW), we do have survivability, but no profession can just stand there and take it: and none should. To be a good warrior you need to keep your feet moving. Need to land a 100B? Then you stand behind your enemy or at least have the sucker knocked down (or apply frenzy+endure pain). If you’re wearing all Berserker’s and just standing like a chump, taking the damage, you deserve to go down.

2. Warriors have excellent damage on the move: axes are mobile weapons (fun fact about the fifth axe skill: you can move, dodge and jump while channeling) and aside from a hammer skill and 100B, you can keep on strafing.

High Health pool really doesn’t matter as much as sustain/condition removal. Warriors have the worst healing abilities in the game and there base class has NO condition removal outside of shrug it off, and signet of stamina. Which have hilariously long cool-downs.

Wrong, Engineers+Necromancers+Elementalists+Guardians+Thieves(when they fix there revealed debuff.) all have viable and powerful /stand there and take it/ options. Warriors have some of the worst dodge options in the game compared to most classes.

Fun fact about the axe ‘5’ skill, it does less damage then its autoattack which can still be used while moving and the only reason it was good was it procced things better, but now everything has an internal cool-down.

in Warrior

CookMETEnder.7582

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

High Health pool really doesn’t matter as much as sustain/condition removal. Warriors have the worst healing abilities in the game and there base class has NO condition removal outside of shrug it off, and signet of stamina. Which have hilariously long cool-downs.

Wrong, Engineers+Necromancers+Elementalists+Guardians+Thieves(when they fix there revealed debuff.) all have viable and powerful /stand there and take it/ options. Warriors have some of the worst dodge options in the game compared to most classes.

Fun fact about the axe ‘5’ skill, it does less damage then its autoattack which can still be used while moving and the only reason it was good was it procced things better, but now everything has an internal cool-down.

Actually, health pool matters just as much as condition removal.
I don’t know why you say “sustain” and health pool separately as condition removal, health pool, and a variety of other aspects are all essentially grouped into the term Sustain.

Warhorn, as part of the base class, does provide quite a bit of condition removal + boons conversion (second part if traited). The problem isn’t the condition necessarily but the fact that movement hindrances can allow warriors to be indefinitely kited and killed. In this aspect, I can understand.

“Stand there and take it options” what is that? Ability to Facetank?
I play a pure defense/CC/support PVT tank warrior in WvWvW and I almost never die.
With GS + Sword/War horn, I can survive multiple people (kill off the few idiots that go glass cannon) and run away with superior mobility. Of course you have to account skill and lack of skill into that.
Besides that, Warhorn and Furious Reaction alone provide plenty of Vigor for more dodges.

in Warrior

Daecollo.9578

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

I don’t know why you say “sustain” and health pool separately as condition removal, health pool, and a variety of other aspects are all essentially grouped into the term Sustain.

Warhorn, as part of the base class, does provide quite a bit of condition removal + boons conversion (second part if traited). The problem isn’t the condition necessarily but the fact that movement hindrances can allow warriors to be indefinitely kited and killed. In this aspect, I can understand.

I play a pure defense/CC/support PVT tank warrior in WvWvW and I almost never die.
With GS + Sword/War horn, I can survive multiple people (kill off the few idiots that go glass cannon) and run away with superior mobility. Of course you have to account skill and lack of skill into that.
Besides that, Warhorn and Furious Reaction alone provide plenty of Vigor for more dodges.

Then you go into hard PVE or PvP and you get 6 stacks of confusion and lose 4-5k – 20k health every time you swing when your a guardian or other classes and just remove it instantly, you sure feel like your high HP matters.

in Warrior

CookMETEnder.7582

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

Then you go into hard PVE or PvP and you get 6 stacks of confusion and lose 4-5k – 20k health every time you swing when your a guardian or other classes and just remove it instantly, you sure feel like your high HP matters.

Aren’t we talking about WvWvW 0_0….?
Where in PvE or WvWvW do you find yourself under that many stacks of confusion?
I run a shout build so I rarely run into that kind of problem.

in Warrior

Posted by: Nuorus.8415

Nuorus.8415

No… such a fail. Maybe it ruins HB on Greatsword warrior (which usually got traited rifle doing 15k hits). There is Axe warrior which is best dps for moving targets. (Too bad axe doesn’t have mobility)

Feel free to argue with me. You learn something every time and it develops your personality.

People seems using word “trolling” out of context way too often…

in Warrior

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

My Rush hits enemies fine, I don’t know whats wrong with yours. I took half a Thiefs health with whirl and finished him off with Rush. Practice more i guess.

AmateurNet

in Warrior

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Practice… Rush?

in Warrior

Daecollo.9578

Practice… Rush?

One does not simply practice rush.

in Warrior

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Aren’t we talking about WvWvW 0_0….?
Where in PvE or WvWvW do you find yourself under that many stacks of confusion?
I run a shout build so I rarely run into that kind of problem.

In WvW or sPvP any Mesmer can easily get 6 stacks of confusion on their target by pressing f2 (if they haven’t changed their hot keys and have 3 clones/phantasms out). When I play my Glamour Mesmer I can easily get up to 8-10 stacks of confusion in a “AoE” fashion.

Edit: As to the OP. Guardian is better straight out for a majority of things. The only thing Warriors can do slightly better, and I stress slightly, is in direct damage and condition damage.

If you choose to focus on PvE then it does not honestly matter which profession you choose. If you want to do a bit of WvW and sPvP then do not plague yourself with the choice of Warrior unless you want to struggle. Guardians can face roll sPvP pretty easily with their wiping 2 conditions every 10 seconds, heals on dodge, blocks, permanent vigor for insane amounts of dodging, and a invulnerable state. Pretty easy to duel with a Guardian, but you might have trouble if you are inexperienced with 1vX. The Guardian can do 1vX very easily though with just a little bit of practice. The Warrior however can not do 1vX unless your opponents are completely incompetent.

(edited by Vanthian.9267)

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

2. Good Damage

2. Good Damage

I dunno.

Rush has a 75% miss chance, Whirlwind almost never hits its full 10k.

Yes, the damage is ridiculous, but if you can’t land the damage it really doesn’t matter.

Its why 100b is worthless in pvp, it does SO MUCH DAMAGE. to bad moving out of the way or a sidestep can negate 90% of it. It happens in PvE too, especially in guild bounties. It really shows you HOW BAD the warrior actually is.

if your rush has a 75% miss chance in PVE then you should probably delete the game and play some farm vile instead. i can land a full 100b on mossman at 38 fractal with ppc gear easily and move out of the way in time without getting hit, does that show how bad i am, ok

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

oh right, for everyone whos new to this forum, daecolle is the troll who has been around in here and other profs forum for quiet some time

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748