Warrior questions from a noob

in Warrior

Posted by: Wuren.3492

Wuren.3492

Ok i just started this game and i feel confused.

1. I dont know what weapon to use, 2 handed sword or ???

2.I dont know what stances to pick

3.I dont know what weapon and builds that is best for pve and the one best for pvp.

Im just running around confused and trying to sort things out .
Main goal is pvp WWW i think but i also wana PVE.

in Warrior

Posted by: Wuren.3492

Wuren.3492

Im just lvl 15, maybe its not that important yet ?

in Warrior

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

oh wow lol this are your answers though so when you hit lvl 80

1. for wvw youre going to be basically force to use greatsword for mobility. other than that gs/hm or gs/axe s are the main wvw weapons

2. for stances, most people use Berserker Stance, Endure Pain and Balanced Stance or Dolyak Signet….unless you go with a different build like shouts for example

3. for pve just go all berserker [i dont really do pve so idk any best build for the traits] and for pvp shoutbow is probably the best build for that

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

in Warrior

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

First, you should use the weapon you find most fun. Test them all out. For gears, get anything that has power, precision, and ferocity (known as beserker stats), lower gears don’t have all 3 so get ones that have either of them. For pve, utilities get “for great justice”, banner of discipline, and signet of fury. For elite, use signet of rage. For healing, use healing signet. Stances are mainly for wvw or pvp. You can take all three stances. I don’t recommend you play wvw yet til u reach lvl 80 so u can unlock all important traits.

As a warrior, you should learn how to use all the weapons proficiently. So then you can switch builds around for different purpose. Once you learn which weapon sets you enjoy playing the most, then you can find the best build for that set and use it in wvw or pvp. Site like metabattle is a good place to find popular builds. Good luck.

in Warrior

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It’s time for you to experiment. Try every weapons and skills you can while you level up. Go take a look at metabattle.com to see what are the most popular build in all three modes right now to give you some idea.

1) PvE : GS + Axe/Mace for combat. GS + Sw/Warhorn for moving around fast. GS + Axe/Warhorn is a good comprise between both. You can also use a pure Axe or pure GS.
2) You don’t need to use stance. It depend on your build. Some build use stance, some build use shout, some build use banner and signet.
3) See metabattle.com

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Warrior

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

oh wow lol this are your answers though so when you hit lvl 80

1. for wvw youre going to be basically force to use greatsword for mobility. other than that gs/hm or gs/axe s are the main wvw weapons

2. for stances, most people use Berserker Stance, Endure Pain and Balanced Stance or Dolyak Signet….unless you go with a different build like shouts for example

3. for pve just go all berserker [i dont really do pve so idk any best build for the traits] and for pvp shoutbow is probably the best build for that

You forgot Hammer with Sword/Warhorn as a build for WvW

in Warrior

Posted by: HawkEyeMihawk.1258

HawkEyeMihawk.1258

Those are very general questions, and so, you’re asking a huge range of information. I’ll help you out by narrowing down your weapon choice. When you’re in combat, you can only have 2 weapons (tab in/out) at once, but OOC (out-of-combat) you can switch anytime you’d like. First, all of warriors weapon choices and their respective skills are listed here for a quick overview: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_skills

Now, a brief insight into which weapon focuses on what aspect of battle, and ultimately, the choice is up to you:

2-handed
Greatsword – no doubt the embodiment of a warrior, hacking and slashing down all foes that stands before you. This is warriors’ main attraction for melee AoE, high dmg, and might-stacking (might is a boon that ups your pwr/dmg with an intensity stack max of 25). It is extremely suitable for PvE and equally your best friend in raw damage output in PvP. The GS is an offensive choice that offers low CD, mid-high dps cleaving skills in return for survivability (that will be up to your positioning, maneuvering, and dodging.)

Hammer – Unleash the wrath of your hammer upon unsuspecting foes to create new holes in them. Unfortunately, this is not your go-to for general uses. The hammer suffers from long CD and mediocre damage. It’s coupled with more defensive builds. However, it is a master when it comes to melee AoE CCs in both PvE and WvW/sPvP. Using this weapon in combat will let you whack-a-mole your enemies with knockdowns, knockbacks, and slam dunks.

Longbow – Who said longbow are for archers? In GW2, professions knows no bound. The LB is the top contender for a warrior’s mid-long range AoE dmg. It is the most conditional dmg weapon that a warrior has access to, letting you burn, bleed, and even immobilize your enemies. While great for fighting against groups, it does have a below standard range for long-ranged weapons.

Rifle – this is your shotgun for the impending zombie apocalypse. A fully long range weapon that deals mid to mid-high raw dmg on single target. While there’s a trait that you can equip to make your ammo piercing, this baby is mainly used for ranging world bosses, and to a lesser extent, 1v1 (or roaming) in WvW or open world PvE.

H.E.M.
Greatest Swordsman in the World

in Warrior

HawkEyeMihawk.1258

This is where it gets tricky; your 1-handed choices are more diverse and versatile. I’ll try to break it down for you. First, know that 1) axes, 2) swords, and 3) maces can be wielded 2 of the same or 1/1 of different kinds. Furthermore, your off-hand choices also include a) shield or b) warhorn.

1 handed
Axe – whether it’s chopping wood or chopping limps, they’re the same—axe does not care. In contrast to the GS, axes focus more on precision and ferocity (critical chance and dmg) rather than raw dmg. It also has a higher Auto Atk chain dmg than the GS, although the latter inflicts vulnerability (better for group instances/world bosses). Rather you want to dual wield axes or use a GS when it comes to offensive melee AoE, it all depends on your own play-style. Keep in mind however, that while it’s great for general PvE, world bosses cannot be crit on, therefore making axes inferior to GS in that aspect. (It also lacks might stacking, but the huge spike from crits make up for it in solo situations.)

Mace – bash your foes head in with this wrecking ball. Think of it as a one-handed hammer. Great for defensive builds/intent and offers handy CC, a block, and weakening. It’s not recommended, however, to use dual mace, as there are better options. Keep this weapon in mind for survivability and/or support.

Sword – in looks, this is the GS’s little brother. However, for a warrior, this is the only other weapon save Longbow that uses what little conditions afflicting effects available to warriors. The memo with the swords is bleed, bleed, and bleed. Seriously. Cripple and immobilize your foes so you can cut their wrists (or you know… anywhere really) and bleed them to death, while throwing in some tormenting. This is not a viable PvE weapon choice, but rather excels in PvP/WvW for agile combat and chasing.

Off hand only
Shield – offers a long cd stun and 3-sec block. There really isn’t much to say about this except to use it on a day you feel like a guardian. Since there really isn’t the conventional healer/tanker concept on GW2, the shield can be rather inefficient in most cases.

Warhorn – oh, people will shout your name in WvW when you blow into it, along with prayers to God. WH is the paragon for warrior support builds. It’s mainly seen in WvW but group instances can benefit from it as well. It’s highly efficient in granting speed boost while removing all movement-impeding conditions (chills, immobilize, cripple) and endurance (dodge energy regeneration) while weakening enemy attacks in range.

GL and hope to see you rocking it like a pro IG!
H.E.M.

H.E.M.

(edited by HawkEyeMihawk.1258)

in Warrior

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

HawkEye gave a nice summary of what weapons can do for a warrior. I’ll add my two cents on top of his posts :

• Sword has niche uses in PvE as well now, both in main hand and off-hand.
  • Generally speaking, you should have at least one exemplary of each weapon you can use as a warrior in your inventory when you are level 80. Sometimes, you have to change a weapon on the fly to adapt to a specific unexpected situation.
Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

in Warrior

Posted by: Adesia.5138

Adesia.5138

HawkEye’s summary is really spot on!

I would recommend the same as other people though; just use whatever you have on you, test out all weapons and just have fun while you work on your way to 80. Become familiar with all of the abilities you have at your disposal while you’re leveling up. That way, you’ll know better what you would like to play with at 80. You can read about it, but nothing is quite as good as first-hand experience.

in Warrior

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

I disagree with HawkEye about the viability of sword. He said it isn’t viable and that is flat wrong. It is viable.

I leveled my warrior to 80 using dual sword. True, it isn’t optimal, but the GS only kills things 2 or 3 seconds faster than dual swords. How ridiculous it is to be so impatient as to quibble about such a short period of time. How anal!

I’m not a fan of glass cannons when it comes to melee. In a tough fight, a berserker GS warrior will be dead on the ground while I am still up and fighting and getting the job done (or at least lasting longer).

I did try GS sword, once, for a few days. I died far more often than as a dual sword warrior.

in Warrior

Thaddeus.4891

I disagree with HawkEye about the viability of sword. He said it isn’t viable and that is flat wrong. It is viable.

I leveled my warrior to 80 using dual sword. True, it isn’t optimal, but the GS only kills things 2 or 3 seconds faster than dual swords. How ridiculous it is to be so impatient as to quibble about such a short period of time. How anal!

I’m not a fan of glass cannons when it comes to melee. In a tough fight, a berserker GS warrior will be dead on the ground while I am still up and fighting and getting the job done (or at least lasting longer).

I did try GS sword, once, for a few days. I died far more often than as a dual sword warrior.

That seem to be a legit comparaison of the difference between both setup. I’m sure you did extensive testing and all and end up with the conclusion that GS have a small dps lost compare to sword.

That’s weird, because when you do the actual testing you see that sword have around 58% of the dps of a GS in direct damage and can keep around 8-9 more bleed than a GS. The overall dps of a sword will be around 65% of a GS. That’s pretty significant.

in Warrior

redcomyn.4651

No, I didn’t do extensive testing. I play to have fun, not do math. All I know is that as a dual sword warrior, I usually win my fights, including against multiple opponents. When I tried the glass cannon GS warrior, my wins against multiple opponents was about fifty-fifty. GS warriors win fast, but also die fast.

Actual experience trumps math, probably because the math is only true when everything goes perfect.

Sword warriors kill a little slower, and last a lot longer.

in Warrior

Thaddeus.4891

Actual experience trumps math, probably because the math is only true when everything goes perfect.

Sword warriors kill a little slower, and last a lot longer.

Actual experience would make you a better player if you die half the time in PvE with GS. How Sword would make you last longer than GS? GS have an evade each 10 sec and the Sword have a block each 15 second. If anything GS have more survivability than Sword.

Its ok man. You are pretty bad with GS and you prefer Sword. I have no problem with that. That doesn’t make sword a good PvE weapon.

in Warrior

redcomyn.4651

True, I don’t like greatsword. I am sure that it is coloring my perception. My real point is, though, that swords are viable. It does work. I leveled my warrior to 80 using dual swords without any problems. I don’t doubt that greatsword has higher damage. I just don’t like it.

It is kind of funny, though. On my guardian, which I started a little over a week ago, I do like the greatsword. Don’t know why.

in Warrior

HawkEyeMihawk.1258

@redcomyn It’s all cool. I was simply giving the OP the general consensus and standards, which of course would have some variants. If you prefer dual swords, by all means, play it your way. Surviving using the GS, like I mention, all depends on your maneuvers—when to dodge, whirl evade, and charge. Your secondary weapon also matters a lot. If you master your build/weapon choices, you can win 1v1 no matter what you chose, though there will always be build counters.

I cannot speak for guardians, but they do have a different GS skill set—the play style could be different.

Cheers,

H.E.M.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zakuti.4672

Zakuti.4672

in Warrior

Posted by: Destinys Call.8652

Destinys Call.8652

@redcomyn: what was your 2ndary weapon when you weielded the gs? I love gs/hammer and I find they coincide quite nicely with each other. I tried 1h weapons and just didn’t care for it myself.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Ultimate nike-warri mobility: Greatsword + Sword/Warhorn

In wvw you’ll mostly be with a zerg if you wanna do that you don’t need as much mobility; I recommend Hammer instead as it’s good CC’s against enemy.

I don’t pvp much but just look up metabattle and find a build that suits you there for various things.

At the end of the day it’s fun to theorycraft and make your own builds. I’ve made a warri build that focuses on immobs when I’m roaming with friends and it’s hilarious.