Warrior raid tank?

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

I’ve been thinking about leveling a warrior with the intent of building toughness and tanking in raids.

I know that all professions can tank great, but how is warrior suited to the role? It seems like the naturally high health pool and heavy armor would make it simple and realistic for tanking in raids.

If someone could make or recommend a build, that would be absolutely amazing!

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

(edited by CadeRG.4508)

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

warrior can’t tank
if you want tank, take class like guardian who can have a tons of protection.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Twiggy Stick.9367

Twiggy Stick.9367

Not sure why you say, without the facts, that “Warrior can’t tank” Of course they can, any profession build right, can tank. Warrior has the hps for the job, and if the get prot from outside sources, then they can survive just as good as anything else.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Capa.7684

Capa.7684

Problem in my opinion is that our biggest Tankskills Shieldblock and Stance cant be upgraded with equipment, they are no regular boons. For fast Encounter they are strong but the lack of scaling with Healing Power or concentration make them weak in the long run.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Not sure why you say, without the facts, that “Warrior can’t tank” Of course they can, any profession build right, can tank. Warrior has the hps for the job, and if the get prot from outside sources, then they can survive just as good as anything else.

if you already have a guy that’s pomping out proc (exp: hammer tank guard), why would you need another guy to tank?

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

Yeah warriors can tank, are you kidding me? If your low on money just get yourself full clerics gear. For accessories: Nomad Amulet and 2 Nomad rings. The rest clerics.

Craft yourself 6 runes of the defender: When you block an attack get a 3k heal that will scale with healing power.

Traits:
Run Defense Trait = “Dogged March”, “Defy Pain”, “Rousing Resilience”
Tactics = Empowered, Empower Allies (If another warrior is running this, trait for “Shrug it off”) and “Vigorous shouts.”
Berserker = “Smash Brawler”, “Dead or Alive,” and “Bloody Roar.”

Skills:
“To the limit” as your main heal, “Shake it off!” “For Great Justice!” “Outrage” and “Headbutt.” Headbutt could also be swapped for Battle Standard banner for group res.

Weapons:
Greatsword/ Mace and shield.

Use your shouts to keep your health up. Block enemy attacks for regen and burst heal from runes. Pop outrage when you get stunned/ knocked back etc for another burst heal and 1000 toughness thanks to “Rousing Resilience.” If you are not getting stunned and need the heal, use headbutt to stun yourself, then pop outrage for free 3k -4k heal and toughness gain. If your running low on health, use greatswords mobility to move out of the way for a little bit to regen and allow cooldowns to come back up, which won’t take very long considering your heals are gonna be around 20 seconds each.

This combined with team support will make you god mode, unless you screw up by popping everything at once. Use only when you need to, and rely on team mate support to pick you up when you make a mistake.

If you want a full toughness build, run the same traits, but this time have full nomad gear on everything, and run dolyak runes.

(edited by Dragon.8762)

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

CadeRG.4508

Yeah warriors can tank, are you kidding me? If your low on money just get yourself full clerics gear. For accessories: Nomad Amulet and 2 Nomad rings. The rest clerics.

Craft yourself 6 runes of the defender: When you block an attack get a 3k heal that will scale with healing power.

Traits:
Run Defense Trait = “Dogged March”, “Defy Pain”, “Rousing Resilience”
Tactics = Empowered, Empower Allies (If another warrior is running this, trait for “Shrug it off”) and “Vigorous shouts.”
Berserker = “Smash Brawler”, “Dead or Alive,” and “Bloody Roar.”

Skills:
“To the limit” as your main heal, “Shake it off!” “For Great Justice!” “Outrage” and “Headbutt.” Headbutt could also be swapped for Battle Standard banner for group res.

Weapons:
Greatsword/ Mace and shield.

Use your shouts to keep your health up. Block enemy attacks for regen and burst heal from runes. Pop outrage when you get stunned/ knocked back etc for another burst heal and 1000 toughness thanks to “Rousing Resilience.” If you are not getting stunned and need the heal, use headbutt to stun yourself, then pop outrage for free 3k -4k heal and toughness gain. If your running low on health, use greatswords mobility to move out of the way for a little bit to regen and allow cooldowns to come back up, which won’t take very long considering your heals are gonna be around 20 seconds each.

This combined with team support will make you god mode, unless you screw up by popping everything at once. Use only when you need to, and rely on team mate support to pick you up when you make a mistake.

If you want a full toughness build, run the same traits, but this time have full nomad gear on everything, and run dolyak runes.

Wow, this guy has got this all planed out!
Thanks for the…everything

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Interpretor.3091

Interpretor.3091

Warrior tanks are purely situational because you rely on defensive healing and boons from outside sources. I think scrappers are the best tanks right now. They can maintain high toughness, self uptime protection, aegis, and regen, while at the same time remaining mobile and pumping out decent damage with bombs. Tanking in this game is all about protection and aegis boon uptime, which warriors don’t have. I think the world first clear of the new raid content used a scrapper to tank all four of the encounters.

Warrior

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I’m not really sold on a warrior as a tank. Here’s why:

1) Very little damage mitigation outside of long cooldowns, such as stances
2) Reliance on stances/dolyak sig mean no banners, which are one of the biggest benefits to having a war
3) Greatsword involves moving around a lot, so you’ll sacrifice using your best DPS weapon to keep a boss stationary
4) No access to protection

While warriors sound like they should be good tanks since they’re high health, shield-wielding characters and warriors are among the best tanks in most MMOs, but compared to a hammer guardian or a Jalis/retribution revenant, there’s just not much damage mitigation that isn’t tied to a long cooldown or that doesn’t come at a huge cost to DPS.

That being said, I think that a good PS war is one of the most valuable builds to have in any organized PvE group.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

CadeRG.4508

Warrior tanks are purely situational because you rely on defensive healing and boons from outside sources. I think scrappers are the best tanks right now. They can maintain high toughness, self uptime protection, aegis, and regen, while at the same time remaining mobile and pumping out decent damage with bombs. Tanking in this game is all about protection and aegis boon uptime, which warriors don’t have. I think the world first clear of the new raid content used a scrapper to tank all four of the encounters.

The warrior’s high hp pool and with utilities like Endure Pain and Rousing Resiliance (1000 toughness with stun break trait), should make up for the lack of protection.

I feel that every profession has their own pros and cons when it comes to tanking, and even though some might be better (like ele and engi) the overall outcome is just as successful, regardless of which is doing the job.

Anyone who turns down x class as a tank and would rather wait 30 extra minutes just to get x class in their raid, is an idiot.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Dahkeus.8243

The warrior’s high hp pool and with utilities like Endure Pain and Rousing Resiliance (1000 toughness with stun break trait), should make up for the lack of protection.

I feel that every profession has their own pros and cons when it comes to tanking, and even though some might be better (like ele and engi) the overall outcome is just as successful, regardless of which is doing the job.

Anyone who turns down x class as a tank and would rather wait 30 extra minutes just to get x class in their raid, is an idiot.

Rousing Resilience doesn’t really matter for tanking since you’re rarely if ever going to be stunned.

And yea, you can probably get by with a lot of classes as tanks…however, I’d save warrior as a tank for a last resort.

If you have a necro, engineer, guardian, revenant, or ele in the group with any toughness gear, they would make a better tank. You’d also lose a lot less by having them tank than to sacrifice the benefits of a PS war unless you were able to get by with some PS-hybrid build.

But yes…if you have to wait a really long time to find a decent option for a tank (which doesn’t seem likely from my experience), just have the war tank. They’re not a great option, but you can probably make it work, at least for the first boss.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

CadeRG.4508

Rousing Resilience doesn’t really matter for tanking since you’re rarely if ever going to be stunned.

And yea, you can probably get by with a lot of classes as tanks…however, I’d save warrior as a tank for a last resort.

If you have a necro, engineer, guardian, revenant, or ele in the group with any toughness gear, they would make a better tank. You’d also lose a lot less by having them tank than to sacrifice the benefits of a PS war unless you were able to get by with some PS-hybrid build.

But yes…if you have to wait a really long time to find a decent option for a tank (which doesn’t seem likely from my experience), just have the war tank. They’re not a great option, but you can probably make it work, at least for the first boss.

If you aren’t using the banner elite, you use Headbutt and stun break yourself and procing the 1,000 toughness every 20 seconds.

Surely all of this defensive traits and abilities would allow warriors to focus half of their build into damage?

And like I said, at the end of the day, all tanks get the job done and people shouldn’t be turned down for their class.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: GenoGar.5497

GenoGar.5497

Warriors could tank, just not as well as other classes. Warriors are on the extreme end of complete damage immunity for short periods of time, but not in a long sustaining bunker/wall/tank sort of way.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Interpretor.3091

Interpretor.3091

Think of it this way: Yeah you could run a super tanky warrior with 3.4k toughness and 30k health, Mace/Shield, Mace/Sword and you would be almost unkillable. But when you look at scrapper who can live just as well as that and produce average damage. Why would you take a warrior who isn’t going to do nearly as much dps.

Look at this scrapper PoV on a kill of Vale Guardian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAS7jPwPKk” The guild is Sickest Guild [NA], one of the best raiding guilds in the world. Look how much DPS he does, and he tanks the encounter with ease.
Here are the reasons why Scrapper will always be better than warrior in tanking:

1. The Scrapper has full up time protection and regen., while also doing some pretty efficient dps.
  2. The Scrapper also brings an AoE healing with his turrets, the only healing a warrior brings is with banners and shouts and you have to purposely spec into those, which is an even bigger DPS loss. Also, why run bannerhealing/shouts when you already have a druid who does it twice as well!? Any more healing would be overkill and an unnecessary DPS loss of an extra person.
  3. Banner buffs are already being brought by PS warriors which are almost necessary in raids for might stack upkeep in combat.
  4. You’re not nearly as mobile as a Scrapper who can run away and still do their main damage rotation, when to do DPS as warrior and tank, you either have to backpedal (which is NEVER good) or you have to awkwardly side strafe to move. Losing control of a boss when moving him into a different position could be a possible DPS loss as well. The best tanks are the ones who can keep the boss in a position where the DPS can constantly attack it.
    …When bosses have enrage timers, you’re pretty much gimping yourself by bringing a warrior tank.
    So no, warrior tanks aren’t viable, not nearly as much as a scrapper. Not even close.
Warrior

(edited by Interpretor.3091)

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: deeg.9162

deeg.9162

How about a Knight’s PS/EA/Banner DPS tank? Seriously, all that’s technically needed is Toughness, right?

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Chase.2798

Chase.2798

This is the tank im thinking of trying…

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJMQRApc3enUJClkidhAmhAElilrALpD8BWdIBgrWq7d0WaftA-TByGABAcSAkSJII7PckyvcfCASohRQ1fiT/QAAEgb2mtZbGM0hO0hO0h2QH6QH6QHapAGVYE-e

..almost 4k toughness, lots of heals, gives plenty of boons, has shield block, sword block, and heal block. Gets protection from runes, is able to still have 2200 power and 22k health. Chance of heal when striking and aoe heals on weapon swap. Not great for damage but should have great survivalbility. Might be a total flop going to try it and see how much of a beating it can take before raiding with it to see if its viable

Edit: made in build editor so havent tried it or anything yet

Big Papa Chase – Warrior and Guardian
Papa’s Lady Luck- Necro
(HELL)

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Run PS on your tank and build your raid comp around a PSWar tank and you’re fine. Every profession can tank, just build your comp around it.

Fishsticks

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Posted by: Enmi.3087

Enmi.3087

Actually, I’m playing tank as a warrior in raid with my guild, using axe+shield/hammer with ONLY the Defence trait line for … well defence. With full Knight gears and a tempest as a support character, I can just keep tanking the boss for ever while dealing some nice dmg.

(edited by Enmi.3087)

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Dahkeus.8243

Actually, I’m playing tank as a warrior in raid with my guild, using axe+shield/hammer with ONLY the Defence trait line for … well defence. With full Knight gears and a tempest as a support character, I can just keep tanking the boss for ever while dealing some nice dmg.

I can’t say I agree with your definition of “nice” damage if that’s your weapon set.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Enmi.3087

I can’t say I agree with your definition of “nice” damage if that’s your weapon set.

6300 dps, that’s what I got using jaxnX.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Dahkeus.8243

6300 dps, that’s what I got using jaxnX.

Yep.

Warrior raid tank?

in Warrior

Enmi.3087

Just so you guys know, my group and I downed the Vale Guardian with a tank warrior (me) 3 days ago.