Warrior's Role in WvW?

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: LiquidDanO.7041

LiquidDanO.7041

Hello!

I’m trying to best figure out what a warrior should aspire to do in WvW? Currently, I join up with the zerg, and run around, trying not to get murdered, and eventually…. I get murdered. I’ve been trying to utilize banners a bit, the off-handed warhorn to help out my friends, but aside from rushing in and getting mykitten handed to me, I’m not sure what I should do.

Any tips or good strategy for an aspiring WvW warrior?

Thanks.

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

It depends on what you enjoy. I personally don a Hammer/Greatsword and work toward busting enemy zerg lines during a stand-off. Most of the time I can get out safely, though every once in a while I’ll get caught out. While pot shots are being traded, I look for openings. If my two survival cooldowns aren’t up, I look for overextenders.

I typically die a couple times every 2-3 hour WvWvW session as an aggressive melee warrior in WvWvW. I’m currently level 70, which does help, but you’d be surprised what sort of results you can get charging into a group. Their first inclination is to back up, and typically that’s enough for your zerg to surge forward. If you catch a few in a few stuns, your team generally annihilates them, since the other team backed up and left them in the open.

However, if you prefer ranged, you can use Longbow to attempt AoE/drop a Fire combination field, or a Rifle for single-target picking off. You can run a more Greatsword-centric build to attempt to Frenzy/100B stragglers/over-extenders. You can use Warhorns to support, Axes to combo with fields for large AoE damage, etc.

You can basically fit yourself just about anywhere depending on your playstyle. Some roles require you to be more observant/careful/smarter than others, but really the World v World is your burrito.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: LiquidDanO.7041

LiquidDanO.7041

I’m currently level 19, and have been playing with a dual axe build. Tried a few trait builds, but at this level, I don’t have a whole bunch of options.

I tried the longbow, not really my cup of tea… I have a lot more fun if I can find an un-manned arrow cart someplace. I could try and build one myself, but I usually don’t have enough silver kicking around.

I think I should trade my Boon banners/shouts in for some survivability skills, like you mentioned, and give that a try. Thanks for the feedback Cogbyrn!

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: DaisyRogers.6837

DaisyRogers.6837

My long bow is my best friend. That is also simply because I enjoy a support role. I focus on building up and dropping the fire combo field as often as I can while tossing out shouts to boost allies.

also spend a bunch of time running around reviving since I am specced a little into healing with bonus toughness while reviving and armor out thekitten Beating people off who are channel finishing with my hammer has also become a hobby of mine.

I’ve always enjoyed a tankable support role in most mmos I play anyways. So it is par for the course.

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Build concepts:

1. Banner buffbot. Bow | Hammer | Mace | Shield | Warhorn | Sword.

2. Shoutbot. Same weapon options.

3. Rifle gibbing pew pew.

4. Wait for it … wait for it … wait for it … instagib with Frenzy Bull Rush Hundred Blades combo^.

5. Leading the charge. Tank more tank Hammer | Shield. Compatible with #2, but different stat spread.

6. Catching people / intercept. Sword, immob on cripple. Hammer CC.

^ The difference between this and bad players using GS is that you actually waited for the right moment to trash someone. If you’re not comfortable waiting for long stretches of time for the opportunity to trash someone, don’t try this build in WvW.

The only build/weapon that seems dubious to me in WvW is mainhand Axe. I just don’t see getting much mileage out of it except as a sort of rare swap weapon for an Eviscerate, but even then …

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: Lappdancer.4857

Lappdancer.4857

My opinion:

Axe/Warhorn + Longbow. Shout utilities + signet elite.

Gives you 100% uptime on swiftness (50% group swiftness, 50% self only).
Two ground target AOEs on longbow to defend and attack towers/keeps.
A root on longbow and cripple on axe to hunt down those that try to run.

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: Flamu.2319

Flamu.2319

How I play warrior w/ my WvW guild group

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Cogbyrn.7283

@Flamu – Warriors are so weak, die so easily, can’t tank any damage, do no damage, have no utility, terrible class.

Also, thanks for the video. That was a fun watch.

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: TheRamosOnline.2670

TheRamosOnline.2670

Your only role is to hunt me down, bull charge me, frenzy then HB me down.
I swear, Warriors seem to home in on me…

I got hit with a 12k Bull Charge the other day, I don’t even know how such a hard hit from BC is possible…

So yeah, Warriors really are the zergers of WvW, they just run around, flailing their weapons around then tally up how many heads they claimed before dying.

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Banners are kinda bad for WvW. You want/need to remain mobile at all times, and banners are well…….. the least mobile form of support. If you want to go support-ish definitely pick up the shouts build. While shouts only give the boons to 5 targets, the heals are unlimited, so you can everyone around you with heals which is nice.

You basically go 1 of 2 ways; something glass-cannon like, which is the GS, frenzy + bull charge + 100b (which i don’t like cause its gimmicky, and anyone half decent will easily avoid), or something tanky-supportish (which is what i do). Having a lot of survival lets you dive into back lines to chase down kills, and run out before dying. Its also great for getting of fear-bombs; feared targets always seem to run forwards, so you ideally want to run behind them, then fear them so that they run into your teammates; having survival helps with this.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: krakenstar.1674

krakenstar.1674

Why can’t I quote someone?? grr.

@Flamu – awesome video.

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Posted by: Samuels.4725

Samuels.4725

How I play warrior w/ my WvW guild group

Saw nothing but upranked opponents and stopped watching. Yawn. This must be what it’s like to play on and against the lesser servers out there. Reminds me of all the people on the WvWvW forums saying they don’t die in 3 hours of fighting, speaking nothing about the fact that they play against no talent scrubs. Top 3 or go home.

Samuelsyo |Affinity| Ridin’ the Zerg since ’11

Warrior's Role in WvW?

in Warrior

Cogbyrn.7283

I’m surprised people like Samuels exist, but then again, I guess I’m not all that surprised.