Warrior shield vs revenant shield

in Warrior

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

The lastest patch notes preview for BWE3 looks like it’s going to make revenant shield 5 block for 4 seconds instead of the old endure pain+break bar, and it also reduces its cooldown to 20 seconds, while keeping the self heal.

Shield Stance on the other hand blocks for 3 seconds and that’s that, and it’s on 30 second cooldown. In other words, it’s objectively inferior in every way, despite having a longer cooldown.

Now, I know beta is beta and balance is still up, but if the devs are comfortable with that version of Rev shield 5 being in the next BWE, doesn’t that illustrate how excessively high the warrior’s shield cooldowns are for what the skills do?

Curious what do other warriors think of that. I almost never make balance posts but as a warrior who really likes warrior shield I find that revenant shield buff striking.

(edited by Bearhugger.4326)

in Warrior

Posted by: BringerOfDefeat.9834

BringerOfDefeat.9834

I would say There’s no difference with skill 5 for warriors and revenants.
The rev’s skill 5 will block for longer yes, and provide healing.
Even though the warriors block has less duration, there is a trait that reduces cooldown, reflects, and gain a single stack of might when blocking an attack. That and the warrior’s skill 4 is a stun (Cannot remember what skill 4 on rev’s shield did).
Depending on what the final traits for rev is, it’s shield may be better than the warriors.

in Warrior

Posted by: Bunnytown.7801

Bunnytown.7801

I’d say it’s still too early to start a comparison.

The thing about the revenant skill 5 is that, yes it is a 4 second block, but you are stuck in one place for the duration. Warrior shield block you can use while on the move. This really helps when a warrior needs to escape. The revenant block heals nicely, but if the situation is truly dire they can’t escape as easily as a warrior. What I’m trying to say is a revenant is usually committed to a fight, whereas shield warrior can pick and choose much more easily (especially if they are using a sword as well).

As far as the recent cooldown reduction goes, it seems more in favor of the revenant, but their weapon skills also cost precious energy. Just because it isn’t on cool down doesn’t necessarily mean the revenant can use the skill.

in Warrior

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Sounds similar to how much better Charge used to be compared to Call Of The Wild. I would say a tiny bit of a nerf to the Revenants shield would bring things in line.

With the might you can stack just from blocking with the trait, Warrior shield can be pretty good. I often run in to supply camps in WvW with #5 skill going so the NPC’s give me 15+ stacks of might before I even start attacking.

The cooldown is long for a short duration without the trait but Warrior shield is still a good weapon considering all the other defensive options a Warrior has available to it. I mean Engineer Gear Shield has like a 20second cooldown? For the same effect but Engi also has less ways to facetank damage so it only makes sense for their block to have a shorter cooldown IMO.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Warrior

Posted by: Obindo.6802

Obindo.6802

Even though the warriors block has less duration, there is a trait that reduces cooldown, reflects, and gain a single stack of might when blocking an attack. That and the warrior’s skill 4 is a stun (Cannot remember what skill 4 on rev’s shield did).
Depending on what the final traits for rev is, it’s shield may be better than the warriors.

That trait is irrelevant from the skill itself, it’s the trait that does all that, not the skill.

in Warrior

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

Sounds similar to how much better Charge used to be compared to Call Of The Wild. I would say a tiny bit of a nerf to the Revenants shield would bring things in line.

With the might you can stack just from blocking with the trait, Warrior shield can be pretty good. I often run in to supply camps in WvW with #5 skill going so the NPC’s give me 15+ stacks of might before I even start attacking.

The cooldown is long for a short duration without the trait but Warrior shield is still a good weapon considering all the other defensive options a Warrior has available to it. I mean Engineer Gear Shield has like a 20second cooldown? For the same effect but Engi also has less ways to facetank damage so it only makes sense for their block to have a shorter cooldown IMO.

Very questionable that engi has less way to facetank damage XD XD XD, especialy considering that for engi is really easier to reset the fight with his healing.

in Warrior

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Apples and oranges. Plus as far as I know you can’t move with the Rev shield skill

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Warrior

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

Rev shield 5 is only 3 seconds. You also can’t move. All the weapon skills have a relatively low cooldown because energy management is also a factor. Shield 5 has a pretty hefty energy cost. Trust me, nobody in their right mind is going to be using this skill every 20 seconds.

There are those on the revenant forum who’d very much prefer the Rev’s shield 5 to be just a 3 second block with no root or heal. The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.

in Warrior

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

1. Revenant Shield requires wasting an entire Specialization Traitline. This severely limits a Revenant in trait choices, as opposed to a Warrior, who has much more versatility and defensive traits.

2. Warrior has defensive utilities and superior condition removal.

3. Revenant can’t move while channeling his defensive skills.

4. Warrior shield can freaking stun people and deals great damage. Revenant has a kittenty bird that flies and restores 2k hp.

5. Warrior shield can be traited to REFLECT!!!

in Warrior

Posted by: BringerOfDefeat.9834

BringerOfDefeat.9834

That trait is irrelevant from the skill itself, it’s the trait that does all that, not the skill.

Well with just shield skill in general I would have to say the rev’s is better than the warriors, But i’d still rather have the warriors shield (without traited) than the rev’s shield. Warriors have free movement when blocking whereas the rev doesn’t have that on the shield (as far as I know)

in Warrior

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

About the energy cost..

Not sure but Rev gets 5 energy per second?

So if the skill cost 20 energy and blocks for 3 sec it only cost 5 energy in the end for this skill am i right? so it cost pretty much no energy.

Not saying this skill is better or something because i hate the rooted part.. but saying this skill cost allot of energy is not true if i am right ofc.

This is true yes. But most the time people will be in glint with upkeep skills going.

To op: I wouldn’t say the shields block is better. It blocks yes, and heals yes. But also can’t move which is why they are about equal. Plus imagine having a cd and adredelin cost on it if it were on warrior. The rooting will kinda be a pain for pvp luckily I do pve in which case it will be nice

in Warrior

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Anet wants us to play Revs. Every single one of us.

Any minor advantage is expected.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Warrior

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I must say that I had totally forgotten that the revenant shield locks them on the ground when blocking. I agree this is a big deal. Those tooltips still need more work.

I still feel that our block’s cooldown is way too long though. 20 seconds seems to be the norm for long block skills now.

Great discussion though.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

You are stuck in place with Revenants block where as you can move with the warrior. That is a big plus and which is why the revenant has healing on their block and 10s less. You have to waste something right after you come out of the block because you are stuck in place.

Where as the warrior one you can move away while negating and not having to worry too much about ranged getting a set up on you. They are both even imo but thats just my opinion. I’ve played warrior for 6k+ hours and just started on revenant last BWE and played 40+ hours. So I will honestly say its even. You have to use an evade attack or dodge right when you come out of the revenant block otherwise you will be bombarded. With the warrior one you get a bit of a chance since you can move around. Plus like the others have said you can trait for shield to have better bonuses.

Also the class offers many things other classes have but it doesn’t do well like the classes that function for those aspects entirely.