Warrior vs guardian diversity

in Warrior

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I’m not sure if there will be any more balance patches, and I love my warrior, I guess I just feel like they could use a little more variety other than burst gs in pvp. I think the best way to implement the flexibility is by comparing them to their brother heavy class, the guardian.

DPS: Warriors can definitely burst and I’m sure I don’t even need to mention rampage. I think the problem is flexibility with the rampage nerf. A dps guardian has access to blinds, teleports, blocks and aren’t quite as telegraphed.

Support: Banners are great in dungeons, but the pvp scene hasn’t seen much potential in support builds. I do think guardians are in the right of bring the bunker hence their name, but I don’t see really any shout or banner builds that can survive in the meta.

Condition builds: I love the mace sword Condi build, I think its very underrated. However, if you want a full blown Condi build and not celestial, I don’t think I need to mention the damage of burning guards.

Keep in mind this isn’t me saying warriors are terrible or guardians need to be nerfed, its more of an analysis. Warriors are weapon masters, I kinda noticed though compared to a guardian, they’re a bit outmatched in build diversity. What do you think?

in Warrior

Posted by: Ilias.8647

Ilias.8647

Judging DPS, the main reason every Warrior picks GS is simply that GS overshadows all the rest weapons sets by retaining great DPS while maintaining good mobility and an evade skill. Guardian has lot more active defenses which are better than Warrior’s passive ones thus letting Guard invest heavily on offensive gear without getting him in a “shoot & kill or miss & run” concept the burst Warrior is.

Banners aren’t something that extraordinary. Having Engi turrets in mind there is a general advice that you should fight an Engi near his turrets. Same should be for Warrior and Banners but it isn’t.

I don’t support full condi builds on Warrs. I do support them on Engies or Mesmers but not on Warrs. I can start a whole wall of text why I don’t but I think its not the purpose of the thread.

In general, Warrior needs more variety. The overall concept that as a warrior you either go GS or Hammer with an additional supplementary weapon set is simple wrong cause warrior is the single profession that can use such a large variety of weapons. Whats the use of a large variety if 3/4 of the possible weapon combinations are overshadowed by the rest 1/4 ?

Currently residing on … Gandara[EU]

in Warrior

DrDivine.5378

Judging DPS, the main reason every Warrior picks GS is simply that GS overshadows all the rest weapons sets by retaining great DPS while maintaining good mobility and an evade skill. Guardian has lot more active defenses which are better than Warrior’s passive ones thus letting Guard invest heavily on offensive gear without getting him in a “shoot & kill or miss & run” concept the burst Warrior is.

Banners aren’t something that extraordinary. Having Engi turrets in mind there is a general advice that you should fight an Engi near his turrets. Same should be for Warrior and Banners but it isn’t.

I don’t support full condi builds on Warrs. I do support them on Engies or Mesmers but not on Warrs. I can start a whole wall of text why I don’t but I think its not the purpose of the thread.

In general, Warrior needs more variety. The overall concept that as a warrior you either go GS or Hammer with an additional supplementary weapon set is simple wrong cause warrior is the single profession that can use such a large variety of weapons. Whats the use of a large variety if 3/4 of the possible weapon combinations are overshadowed by the rest 1/4 ?

Exactly, warriors are capable of using the most weapon types in the game, so it makes me wonder why guardian is able to utilize nearly every role more efficiently. Prepatch I can think of the mace sword condition, banner bunker, shoutbow, gs lb. Some of those weren’t as good as lb, but were viable.

Shoutbow was definitely overpowered, and I could totally get behind putting warriors in a more offensive role while guards were more defensive, but the end result was that warriors lost their variety, they’re stuck in a melee burst build. It’s fun, but other than rampage why take it when you can go medi dps with more consistent heals, blocks and blinds? Warriors need an identity, something that other classes cannot offer or doesn’t offer as well. If guardian is more flexible with burst gs, condi builds and bunker/support builds, what makes me obligated to choose warrior over guardian in pvp?

in Warrior

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

<snip>I could totally get behind putting warriors in a more offensive role while guards were more defensive, <snip>

I’m not sure I can get behind that.

All classes are supposed to be able to cover all roles, they just do it with different styles and themes.

Ideally, I should be able to specialize my warrior in tankiness or support, and have hopes to be about as good as a Guardian or any other class.

in Warrior

DrDivine.5378

<snip>I could totally get behind putting warriors in a more offensive role while guards were more defensive, <snip>

I’m not sure I can get behind that.

All classes are supposed to be able to cover all roles, they just do it with different styles and themes.

Ideally, I should be able to specialize my warrior in tankiness or support, and have hopes to be about as good as a Guardian or any other class.

That’s true, I do think a warrior should be able to be tanky/support if they wanted to. The reason I bring that up is it seems that’s what they are aiming for. Turning the warrior very offensive, so I was thinking ok wielding a giant Gs sounds appropriate, but why is it can guardians fill all these roles better? Why should I choose warrior? The class description says the longer a warrior stays on combat the more dangerous he is, which is not the case right now.

Notice how the meta Gs hammer warrior dropped out of tier 1 after the rampage Nerf, its a good indicator of how reliant their best build was on just one skill. Rampage is OP and the balance is acceptable for that skill, the problem is that that’s what we had to stay relevant in higher tier play. So we have all these weapons, and only about 5 are decent but not enough to fulfill a role.

in Warrior

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Ah. I thought you were supporting throwing away defense for more offense, that’s why I made that post.

To be fair I don’t login often enough these days to comment the meta (I’m just keeping an eye on HoT at that point) however from my past experience I have to say that I’m not surprised at all to read that.

What I hate about this game’s class system is that it’s never clear what you’re supposed to be good at. On one hand they tell you that they made classes that can support all roles, but on the other hand they make a class which is intended to be the king of conditions, another that’s intended to be the king of boons and tank, and so on. Which one is it?

What I love about how Blizzard makes games is that you always have a good idea what to expect. They tell you what’s the class fantasy is and what concrete roles it’s supposed to cover. If you discover that your class sucks at something it’s supposed to be good at, you can expect it to be buffed next patch. (And it usually is unless it would break PvP or something.)

In GW2 you never know. If your class sucks at something then you have no idea if you can expect a fix or if it’s intended, because they never communicate their design intent; they tell you that every class should support all roles while the reality of the first 2 years of the game’s existence says the opposite. And when you like to specialize into certain play styles that leaves you constantly asking yourself if you should give up your main and reroll, or keep playing your main and hope for a buff.

in Warrior

DrDivine.5378

Ah. I thought you were supporting throwing away defense for more offense, that’s why I made that post.

To be fair I don’t login often enough these days to comment the meta (I’m just keeping an eye on HoT at that point) however from my past experience I have to say that I’m not surprised at all to read that.

What I hate about this game’s class system is that it’s never clear what you’re supposed to be good at. On one hand they tell you that they made classes that can support all roles, but on the other hand they make a class which is intended to be the king of conditions, another that’s intended to be the king of boons and tank, and so on. Which one is it?

What I love about how Blizzard makes games is that you always have a good idea what to expect. They tell you what’s the class fantasy is and what concrete roles it’s supposed to cover. If you discover that your class sucks at something it’s supposed to be good at, you can expect it to be buffed next patch. (And it usually is unless it would break PvP or something.)

In GW2 you never know. If your class sucks at something then you have no idea if you can expect a fix or if it’s intended, because they never communicate their design intent; they tell you that every class should support all roles while the reality of the first 2 years of the game’s existence says the opposite. And when you like to specialize into certain play styles that leaves you constantly asking yourself if you should give up your main and reroll, or keep playing your main and hope for a buff.

I actually like there nos no traditional dps healer tank because it allows more variety and I’m not forced into one spec. I think with a few adjustments warrior could be fixed, perhaps buffing bleeding and reworking awkward traits that have no real use such as the finishers activating twice.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ilias.8647

Ilias.8647

I actually like there nos no traditional dps healer tank because it allows more variety and I’m not forced into one spec. I think with a few adjustments warrior could be fixed, perhaps buffing bleeding and reworking awkward traits that have no real use such as the finishers activating twice.

The absence of a traditional dps-healer-tank alone doesn’t tell much alone. The current state of game balance and warrior in particular dictates that the only viable warrior builds are burst-dps ones. Currently 90% of warrior use GS/? or Hammer/?. This goes for some other proffs as well.

When you say “buff bleeding” many people would think you want a change in Bleed damage-calc formula. Still, this isn’t right to a large extent. What actually needs buffing is not Bleeding itself BUT :

1) the Bleed inflicting skills/traits of warrior
2) the hybrid nature of swords (increase direct damage when using sword MH/OH)
3) increase the dual-wield damage potential (Axe Mastery / Dual Wielding aren’t as appealing as Berserkers Power)
4) rework some 1h weapon skills (like Axe #5)

Powerful Synergy trait isn’t useless. Gaining double leap finisher results in 10sec, instead of 5, of Fire Shield or Chaos armor which is really good in a fight. Its only that it requires some team coordination since warrior is lacking most fields. Maybe change the trait a bit to give the same buff to party members and not only to self.

Currently residing on … Gandara[EU]