Warriors and Rangers

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Eternum.1706

Eternum.1706

When I first started playing this game, I created a Ranger and that Ranger was my first character to level 80. I now have it full Exotic’d and Ascended, so I decided to make a new character which was a Warrior. Even at Level 33, my Warrior outdamages my Ranger in level-adjusted areas by a good amount and it’s just using full Masterwork equipment and Signets, as well as being more durable – I’m having trouble justifying using my Ranger any more. I feel like the Ranger’s damage output is really underwhelming, even in PvP/WvW, and I’m not sure if range justifies this considering how easily Thieves and Warriors can jump on you and instagib you and your pet.

Tarnished Coast
ZzZz | Zombie Coast
For the Toast!

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: peter.9024

peter.9024

The ranger and warrior are different play styles. Of course in PvE warrior will out damage a ranger because of pet ai / static bosses etc. also PvE is so easy any class can do it so don’t worry much about class imbalance there.

When looking at PvP ranger and warrior have different roles. Ranger damage sis split around 50/50 between auto attacks and pet. One thing to note is that the pet damage is not affected by the rangers stats. This means that you can build tanky while still maintaining good pet damage. Also ranger has some sets which are quite condition heavy and condition damage is not reduced like auto attack damage.

In terms of sustain, ranger has access to regeneration and protection, alongside decent passive condition removal. A lot of the ranger weapon skills also feature evade abilities allowing good timing to help a lot when fighting other players.

Warriors on the other hand have very few sustain option. No passive condi removal and no access to protection. This is ok, because the play style is different. Warriors aim to deliver quick bursts and heavy CC. They mitigate damage by positioning, CC and their larger health and armour.

Which style you prefer is up to you.

Skullclamp

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Ottohi.2871

Ottohi.2871

I’ll give the same pros/cons for warriors list I’ve given before. It might help.

Pros:
-Massive damage
-High health
-Simplistic
-(new with cleansing Ire) decent condition removal and negation
-Great access to fury and stability boons
-Awe inspiring CC ability.

Cons:
-Easy to kite without a greatsword, a sword, or warhorn (traited).
-Condition spammers can easily out do all cleanses.
-Poor damage mitigation. 1 evade, 3 blocks (spread across 4 weapons).
-bad sustainability. Heals are too little on long cooldowns, no regen (unless heavily traited and then it’s very clunky), no protection, no aegis. Heals scale very poorly with healing power.
-AoE spammers can easily kill you since you’re 80% melee.
-All abilities have a counter and have cast times.
-Absolutely no true disengage abilities, i.e. no stealth, teleports, evade abilities with long range. Also no true invulnerability, i.e. guardian elite, mist form, shrinky elixir.
-Most builds require 10 or more points to be sunk in a completely opposite trait line than the intended play style to cover a big gaping hole.

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

First off, welcome to the dark side....

Ranger’s dps needs to be looked at from the ranger and the pet’s perspective. Together you are one. For thieves and warriors to drop heavy damage, they need to be spec’d for specific burst abilities and geared towards a glass cannon, as they call it, to compliment those attacks.

Rangers have a lot of tools at their disposal, as well as abilities their pet has access to. I would say you have the capability to do some very impressive things. I might even suggest checking out the ranger forums and pick at the brains of some very talented rangers to figure out a good fit for your playstyle and gear choices.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Furiousbeard.7602

Furiousbeard.7602

When rangers and warriors duel, the ranger should win 90% of the time.

The two play styles are very different and have different roles to play in pvp and pve.

FA Soldier of Fortune – Flashypants (20,078 WvW kills) http://m.youtube.com/user/Duppa81
Roamer: 99.99% BLs / 0.01% EB

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

peter.9024

The two play styles are very different and have different roles to play in pvp and pve.

Not any more :p

Skullclamp

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Callahan.3180

Callahan.3180

No he’s totally right. I have a warrior and ranger both at level 80 with full exos. I have over 1k hours on my warrior now and mostly play solo wvw. I’ve got around 300 hours on ranger and that’s mostly in wvw as well. Ranger really sucks in this game, I cannot agree more. The gimicky BM tank builds only get you so far until you get immobilized. I always run with mobile strikes on warrior. That trait never leaves me in any build and I’ve come to rely on it heavily. Passive condi removal is still sucky, I’d say they have less condi mitigation than warriors even now.

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

That used to be true, but like someone else said, not anymore. Maybe a 70/30 split in favor of Ranger now ? Maybe even as low as 65%. Whatever the final number is, Warriors are much improved and way tougher to fight. The skilled warriors can absolutely wreck people now.

Note: Above comments apply to WvW

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

If you are going to do pvp stay with ranger, warrior is the worst pvp class.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Veritas.6071

Veritas.6071

Ve·ri·tas [English ver-i-tahs] A Latin noun meaning Truth.

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Furiousbeard.7602

Furiousbeard.7602

That used to be true, but like someone else said, not anymore. Maybe a 70/30 split in favor of Ranger now ? Maybe even as low as 65%. Whatever the final number is, Warriors are much improved and way tougher to fight. The skilled warriors can absolutely wreck people now.

Note: Above comments apply to WvW

I’ve seen some rangers move to a hybrid with more condition damage. They can be extremely difficult to down unless you are built for duels.

In open wvw, they are a challenge.

FA Soldier of Fortune – Flashypants (20,078 WvW kills) http://m.youtube.com/user/Duppa81
Roamer: 99.99% BLs / 0.01% EB

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

No he’s totally right. I have a warrior and ranger both at level 80 with full exos. I have over 1k hours on my warrior now and mostly play solo wvw. I’ve got around 300 hours on ranger and that’s mostly in wvw as well. Ranger really sucks in this game, I cannot agree more. The gimicky BM tank builds only get you so far until you get immobilized. I always run with mobile strikes on warrior. That trait never leaves me in any build and I’ve come to rely on it heavily. Passive condi removal is still sucky, I’d say they have less condi mitigation than warriors even now.

This is my ranger build, yet to come across a single warrior build that can counter it…

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMQQJAVTjAV91JWCWs2Bili9Eo2DN1fMxUwfGVwjE-jUyAotARfCU2LqJwhMW3KiGreBTXuoalKgLpIa1yAYOGA-w

oh and I don’t hug terrain and run around walls either hehe I stay in the wide open

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

Well in PvP ranger is far way better than a warrior.
There are a discussion right now about Spirit Rangers being OP in sPvP/tPvP, before that was the BM Ranger being OP in sPvP/tPvP discussion. And before that it was the pet licking wounds being OP.
You only see the warrior being OP in PvE.
If you want to PvP go Ranger (there are better classes imo, but ranger beats warrior anytime), If you want to PvE go Warrior.

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

lol yes warriors are good in pve… and that’s it. WvW and PvP no.

I think the devs somehow while playing their mesmers or thieves where possibly beaten by a warrior and decided to nerf them even more lol. Warriors are sooooo bad at pvp that is sad. just sad. I laugh at warriors.

The only thing they might bring is conditions. Which is hilarious since warriors are suppose to be the invert of guardians (high dps burst / tanky). And they fail utterly in that arena. They have become some broke attrition class.

If u play pvp pls stick with ranger. Rangers are immortal 1v1 and bring so much more to team comps. If just wanna do well in pve play warrior. Thats really all they’re good for.

(edited by TheDevice.2751)

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Priest.8752

Priest.8752

A hammer warrior in the melee train for zvz guild fights / wvw is priceless. That same ranger who can win 1v1’s, brings nothing to larger group fights.

Lord Deaths Embrace – SoR – HL

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

A hammer warrior in the melee train for zvz guild fights / wvw is priceless. That same ranger who can win 1v1’s, brings nothing to larger group fights.

If you need to cap/hold a point in sPvP/tPvP a ranger is far better for the job because they have advantage in 1v1 or even 1v2 if they are not pure dps classes.
In WvW a ranger have one AoE cripple that i like, because criple+range (problem is retaliation but there are classes that can remove retal from enemys) and Entangle. Used properly with team play can be very efective.
Dont think that warrior is better in WvW because they have diferent roles to play.

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Priest.8752

Priest.8752

In the current meta (wvw mind you) a warrior is invaluable right next to guardians in the melee train. GvG fights do not bring rangers as anything they can provide (again WvW) is brought better by another class. That said, I’ve never inferred that rangers aren’t fun and cannot be an asset to a group. I live by play what you enjoy as you will be better at it than playing what is fotm. But if we’re comparing the two in the current WvW, rangers lose hands down.

p.s. I play a ranger as well as a warrior

Lord Deaths Embrace – SoR – HL

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

In the current meta (wvw mind you) a warrior is invaluable right next to guardians in the melee train. GvG fights do not bring rangers as anything they can provide (again WvW) is brought better by another class. That said, I’ve never inferred that rangers aren’t fun and cannot be an asset to a group. I live by play what you enjoy as you will be better at it than playing what is fotm. But if we’re comparing the two in the current WvW, rangers lose hands down.

Still warriors suck.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

peter.9024

Still warriors suck.

I kinda like this mentality. It means that warriors will get buffed more! Although they are weak in spvp, I don’t think that they are completely unplayable. In fact I think a good warrior will still catch out most of the other classes.

Skullclamp

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Fenrir.5493

Still warriors suck.

I kinda like this mentality. It means that warriors will get buffed more! Although they are weak in spvp, I don’t think that they are completely unplayable. In fact I think a good warrior will still catch out most of the other classes.

-To be average with a warrior you need to be a very good player, and you still are handicapped.

-If you are an average player you will be good with any other class, and if you are really good player you are going to be a very powerfull whatever class except warrior of course.

That means that if we pair 2 players with the same skill always the warrior its going to be in disadvantage and will probably loose unless the other player really screw something and the warrior gets very lucky.

I dont hate warriors by the way, i like them a lot, but im only saying what is the state of the warrior right now, im sure they have its uses like in pve, but in pvp they are in a very bad situation.

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

peter.9024

Still warriors suck.

-To be average with a warrior you need to be a very good player, and you still are handicapped.

-If you are an average player you will be good with any other class, and if you are really good player you are going to be a very powerfull whatever class except warrior of course.

That means that if we pair 2 players with the same skill always the warrior its going to be in disadvantage and will probably loose unless the other player really screw something and the warrior gets very lucky.

I dont hate warriors by the way, i like them a lot, but im only saying what is the state of the warrior right now, im sure they have its uses like in pve, but in pvp they are in a very bad situation.

That’s true, not gonna disagree with that.

Skullclamp

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

who cares in a mode(wvw) which anet never cared about balancing, simply look at how they allow foods there.

jusy simply run them op classes there and be done.

if you are saying that warrior is doing more damage while being more durable then a ranger in open world pve….lol what…i don’t even…

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

In a 1000 hours on my warrior inside WvW, I have never ever lost from a ranger. I am sure there are real good rangers out there, but they are incredibly rare. I only know 1 really good ranger, that is it. Warrior is far superior to a ranger in WvW. I don’t know about the current situation in sPvP and tPvP, I don’t play those modes. But I am guessing ranger is still better there.

Warrior is 1 of the top classes in WvW, can’t get around that. Nobody uses rangers in GvG. Because there group utility = 0.

So in
-PvE: warrior > ranger
-WvW: warrior > ranger
-sPvP: warrior < ranger

ps.: got to admit there are a great deal of bad warriors in WvW aswel.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

Warriors and Rangers

in Warrior

Posted by: Tyrion.4259

Tyrion.4259

In a 1000 hours on my warrior inside WvW, I have never ever lost from a ranger. I am sure there are real good rangers out there, but they are incredibly rare. I only know 1 really good ranger, that is it. Warrior is far superior to a ranger in WvW. I don’t know about the current situation in sPvP and tPvP, I don’t play those modes. But I am guessing ranger is still better there.

Warrior is 1 of the top classes in WvW, can’t get around that. Nobody uses rangers in GvG. Because there group utility = 0.

So in
-PvE: warrior > ranger
-WvW: warrior > ranger
-sPvP: warrior < ranger

ps.: got to admit there are a great deal of bad warriors in WvW aswel.

I have to agree with you there. Playing a stun type warrior with high condition duration reduction and occasionally use missile deflection. I can’t recall the last time I lost to a ranger in WvW. I consider myself above average.

Most rangers I run into use their lightning reflexes or signet quickly and then I have about 5 other stuns incoming that take them down.

And actually, in spvp playing a hammer, mace/shield spec I don’t lose to rangers 1 on 1. Really not possible with that spec. I can see maybe a bunker ranger outlasting me but in those cases I’ll just reset the fight. Or in those cases someone usually interrupts so it’s not a 1 v 1 anymore.