What should warrior be, and not

in Warrior

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

ok so lets address the main problem we are having, what role is a warrior suppose to fill, and what can be done to make it support that role?
when you think of a warrior just what does it bring to mind?

if you want you can compile a list of what you think about when you think of the other professions, and use that to support your thoughts. you may even use the current state of each prof.

for me a warrior is the master of battle. for me he should be able to fit into any kind of battle and do well. The longer they are on a battlefield the more of a threat they should be. I see a warrior as someone who as they continue a fight they become stronger. They are able to transfer their will and courage to others. and rally the troops.

now im not enough of an expert to look at every skill to best find fixes and suggest how they can be better. But one thing i have been thinking is along the lines of actually making them weaker when entering into a battle. I know, sounds counterproductive to making warriors stonger.
But what if as they gain adrenaline though their own stikes they become both stronger and more resilient. Yes i know they can though traits, but im talking it becoming more of a standard, and also giving them survivability though the adrenaline rush.

now what if we also combined it with a sort of “Dont wound what you cant kill” type of mechanic. where the warrior maybe gains adrenaline faster when wounded, or is more powerful due to the lower health.

what if warriors had heal skills that rather than healing per-say, it increased survivability rather. I think that could lend to some interesting pvp.

what a warrior is not, is someone who relies on outside strength, such as magic, poisons and traps. I see them as people who want to with with their own ability. as in their weapons which they know fully (including guns even tho they are kinda outside strength) and their own strength.

sorry if my rambling are like that of a madman, i have yet to sleep today. But i still think this can open up some good warrior dialogue.

in Warrior

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

So just a discussion on the warrior archetype eh? I think that if the Guardian is the person you rally around as a defense, a warrior is the person you rally around for offense. A warrior should be able to participate in a brawl and be the pillar in an offensive effort (which is the complete opposite of how warrior is thief-lite now, pop stances, go in, kill someone, get out)

Also enough of this Warrior is a braindead class nonsense, one of our trait lines is literally called tactics and we have an entire militaristic based weapon in Rifle. I want to see a specialization revolving around playing smart.

in Warrior

Posted by: BassHunteR.7246

BassHunteR.7246

right now… warriors role on wvw is sentry.
stay on the tower and keep to check if any enemy passes by.
you gonna say there is auto sentry..
who cares..let the warrior sit there and help the npc.
on pvp..
warrior role is to relog into any other class..if cant..
he is the meat shield to distract the enemy team while rest of the team do their show..
on pve..
phallanx strenght..

in Warrior

right now… warriors role on wvw is sentry.
stay on the tower and keep to check if any enemy passes by.
you gonna say there is auto sentry..
who cares..let the warrior sit there and help the npc.
on pvp..
warrior role is to relog into any other class..if cant..
he is the meat shield to distract the enemy team while rest of the team do their show..
on pve..
phallanx strenght..

not what they are what they should be based on what you think of when you think warrior

in Warrior

So just a discussion on the warrior archetype eh? I think that if the Guardian is the person you rally around as a defense, a warrior is the person you rally around for offense. A warrior should be able to participate in a brawl and be the pillar in an offensive effort (which is the complete opposite of how warrior is thief-lite now, pop stances, go in, kill someone, get out)

Also enough of this Warrior is a braindead class nonsense, one of our trait lines is literally called tactics and we have an entire militaristic based weapon in Rifle. I want to see a specialization revolving around playing smart.

i agree, warriors are smart, they know and live the battlefield. They should be some of the best tactitions on the field, and the ones who lead the army and the charge.

in Warrior

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Just as much as “brutal” and “savage” can describe a warrior, “skilled” and “tactical” do too.
I find the Saurus Lizardmen of the Warhammer Fantasy universe represent warriors really well.
They may outwardly be regarded as dull, they don’t even know how to express abstract concepts, but actually have a very keen intelligence. That intelligence is entirely focused on warfare though. They can come up with strategies on the fly and execute brilliant maneuvers with expert timing. The Saurus are physically powerful and very tough, but that doesn’t mean they’re just brute strength fighters. They’re skillful at arms and tactical, with keen combat-refined instincts.

Warriors (in general, not talking about lizardmen anymore) may not be bookish, but they are by no means stupid. They’re are (or at least can be) very tactical and intelligent fighters.
They don’t have magic or gadgets to rely on, and are instead very physically adept. This doesn’t just mean strong and tough, but agile and dexterous too.
I don’t mean to paint them as super soldiers capable of everything. But I find the contrast with the rogue-archetype often leaves warriors with this “brute strength only” image. In actuality dexterity is much more important to wielding a bladed weapon then raw strength is, and so is a “stat” warriors would realistically have a lot of. It’s just that rogue-type classes focus more on it, or focus on it in different ways.

As far as roles within GW2’s combat goes:
Where the thief is a lightly armored hit-and-run melee combatant with high damage spikes, the warrior should be a sustained fighter who stays in the mix for extended periods of time while putting out consistent offensive action. I feel this “offensive action” can be in the forms of damage, CC, or dmg buffing, and carries with it the means of getting to and sticking on our opponents.
As others have mentioned, we’re the offensive counterpart to the Guardian. Where the guardian is a sustained fighter focused on defensive action, creating a hub around themselves to ward off enemy offensive action.

in Warrior

Posted by: BlackBunny.3681

BlackBunny.3681

The thing is with berserker if i wanted to play a plate condi i would roll a torch gard…… I really wish they would just keep warrior to gsword and hammer and shield etc. Its a real shame and it seems like alot of the warrior abilities compared with other classes are a bit out matched and outdated. I’m looking forward to see what the devs response to all the outcry.

Warrior should not be a condi they should be plain damage with good aoe offensive peeling like aoe stuns and aoe damage. Right now any class can do better than a warrior (torch gard better as condi/burn spec in pvp) or dragon hunter is far far far better than ham||gsword&bow. Well and gsword you will have a better time on necro and with dual wielding one handers you will do better on revenant. Needless to say something is outdated.

in Warrior

Just as much as “brutal” and “savage” can describe a warrior, “skilled” and “tactical” do too.
I find the Saurus Lizardmen of the Warhammer Fantasy universe represent warriors really well.
They may outwardly be regarded as dull, they don’t even know how to express abstract concepts, but actually have a very keen intelligence. That intelligence is entirely focused on warfare though. They can come up with strategies on the fly and execute brilliant maneuvers with expert timing. The Saurus are physically powerful and very tough, but that doesn’t mean they’re just brute strength fighters. They’re skillful at arms and tactical, with keen combat-refined instincts.

Warriors (in general, not talking about lizardmen anymore) may not be bookish, but they are by no means stupid. They’re are (or at least can be) very tactical and intelligent fighters.
They don’t have magic or gadgets to rely on, and are instead very physically adept. This doesn’t just mean strong and tough, but agile and dexterous too.
I don’t mean to paint them as super soldiers capable of everything. But I find the contrast with the rogue-archetype often leaves warriors with this “brute strength only” image. In actuality dexterity is much more important to wielding a bladed weapon then raw strength is, and so is a “stat” warriors would realistically have a lot of. It’s just that rogue-type classes focus more on it, or focus on it in different ways.

As far as roles within GW2’s combat goes:
Where the thief is a lightly armored hit-and-run melee combatant with high damage spikes, the warrior should be a sustained fighter who stays in the mix for extended periods of time while putting out consistent offensive action. I feel this “offensive action” can be in the forms of damage, CC, or dmg buffing, and carries with it the means of getting to and sticking on our opponents.
As others have mentioned, we’re the offensive counterpart to the Guardian. Where the guardian is a sustained fighter focused on defensive action, creating a hub around themselves to ward off enemy offensive action.

it really is too bad that it feels like warriors are inferior in that very thing to many other classes.

as for the whole tactics thing, all we have to look at is 500

the Spartans are truly a great template for warrior tactics

The thing is with berserker if i wanted to play a plate condi i would roll a torch gard…… I really wish they would just keep warrior to gsword and hammer and shield etc. Its a real shame and it seems like alot of the warrior abilities compared with other classes are a bit out matched and outdated. I’m looking forward to see what the devs response to all the outcry.

Warrior should not be a condi they should be plain damage with good aoe offensive peeling like aoe stuns and aoe damage. Right now any class can do better than a warrior (torch gard better as condi/burn spec in pvp) or dragon hunter is far far far better than ham||gsword&bow. Well and gsword you will have a better time on necro and with dual wielding one handers you will do better on revenant. Needless to say something is outdated.

i never understood why they called it berserker, sounds more like a legendary warrior who is hyped up and a unkillable murder machine out causing extreme damage

in the Fate/stay series, berserker is a guy who has a huge weapon capable to massive damage, while also being virtually unkillable.

in Warrior

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

i never understood why they called it berserker, sounds more like a legendary warrior who is hyped up and a unkillable murder machine out causing extreme damage

in the Fate/stay series, berserker is a guy who has a huge weapon capable to massive damage, while also being virtually unkillable.

Should have been Marauder, or Raider, or Ransacker imo. Save Berserker for 2h axe or something.

in Warrior

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

Someone didn’t watch fate/zero, that berserker is insanely fast, agile, and while completely nuts had excellent battle strategy

in Warrior

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

You can always look at class names to think what they are about:

GUARDians are there to deal insane dmg
RANGErs are there to crit 9k with greatsword
WARriors are there to look nice in heavy armor
Etc.

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015

in Warrior

Posted by: Rekt.5360

Rekt.5360

Someone didn’t watch fate/zero, that berserker is insanely fast, agile, and while completely nuts had excellent battle strategy

Lancelot OP, nerf plis. :P

Vanov {Warrior} ~ Still waiting for “Guide on Making Proper ||#1 Warr NA|| Sig”

in Warrior

not the point i was fate/stay not fate/zero, diffrent fights and still not really were that diffrent.

besides, fate/stay berserker was extremely fast, agile, but he was not all that nuts.