Whats up with Duel Axes???

in Warrior

Posted by: Maldeneth.3529

Maldeneth.3529

So yesterday I posted a comment as to how “whirling axe” damage ability for warrior duel axe numbers just do not add up. And was informed that the total damage output is the last number you see…makes sense, sort of (never seen this mechanic in any mmo before). But here’s the thing, in the amount of time it takes for whirling axes to finish my auto attack can do more damage which renders it useless basically. Its suppose to have a lot more range according to description but that’s definitely not the case, its on par with auto attack range wise. I mean all we get is 5 skills per weapon, I feel short handed as it is making it really 4 now for this weapon combo…this needs to be addressed/buffed/redone. And while on the topic, why so little skills and abilities to begin with, I mean simple is good sure, but this is a little too simple I think. I think adding numerous more weapons out there with their own unique abilities that require some sort of challenge to complete such as a hard mode dungeon or some long term grind or W/E get creative, would just be an awesome addition to the game.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zhaitan.2578

Zhaitan.2578

Axe auto attacks deal more damage, but they are limited to 3 targets and deal only deal frontal AoE.

Whirling axe deals less damage, but is not limited to a number of targets and deals 360 degree AoE. Furthmore the attacks are more rapid meaning more adrenaline and more bonus procs on crit (ex. 33% chance to bleed on crit).

in Warrior

Posted by: Maldeneth.3529

Maldeneth.3529

Well, considering you can move while auto attacking the 360 degrees doesn’t really mean much and the vast majority your time is spent dpsing less then 3 targets or a single boss, this ability is basically garbage. Not to mention pvp, can’t see any utility there either.

in Warrior

Posted by: tclark.8956

tclark.8956

Look at the adrenaline buildup next time you use it with a couple of things close to you, and you’ll understand why it’s good. It’s even good for that single target, really.

It’s not garbage and it’s definitely not low enough damage to discount the ability entirely even if you don’t like the other effects for some reason.

in Warrior

Posted by: Secro.5039

Secro.5039

Dodging while spinning also seems to not stop the skill. I find it very useful personally.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sinte.3590

Sinte.3590

If you can’t see the use of an ability that gives you 2 adrenaline bars on single target (and re-fills your bar completely on 2+ targets), then there is no hope for you. Better swap over to the greatsword, less complicated, all you need to do is press 2 every 8 seconds.

in Warrior

Posted by: Varil.8206

Varil.8206

First : “Dual”. Duel is like a fight, dual is more along the lines of double.

Second : This is, literally, my favorite skill. As a crit and adrenaline focused warrior, this skill could apply 5-8 stacks of bleed and vulnerability to my target(s) due to the rapid attacks, and fill my adrenaline bar incredibly quickly.

If I wasn’t in a situation where I could/wanted to weapon swap, my adrenaline bar spent more time full than anything else because of this skill. Even when was utilizing weapon swaps regularly, I still spent as much time with a full adrenaline bar as without.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ramanthes.5916

Ramanthes.5916

Whirling Axe is fine, It hits many more targets than auto does, especially if you move through (and that’s tagging, the best quality for Loot Wars in Orr), you can dodge mid-channel without interrupting yourself and it’s a whirl finisher. It has uses and advantages beyond pure dps over the axe auto-chain, especially since it’s not tied to the axe autochain and you can totally use it with a mainhand sword/mace.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

All reasons give are true, and here is another one… Do you think Whirling damage should be balanced from the perspective of a dual axe wielder? What about Mace/Axe? Sword/Axe? Not all auto attacks do the same damage, axe is the best in that; and for some builds whirling still put out very good damage.

Edit,… just read last answer, it was also mentioned lol

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Warrior

Posted by: mrhappyclam.2408

mrhappyclam.2408

i actually think its fine as well. not the highest damage, but maintaining all mobility [full movement, jumping, and even evading], but chances are with dual axes, you’re already crit heavy, so when fighting [ill just say] 2+ mobs, the damage is ok, BUT you gain a kitten ton of adrenaline for the F1 skill [dont judge me i cant spell and am to lazy to look it up lol], and throws off crazy combo bolts of condition removal[w/ guardian], poison[w/ ranger], and fire [w/ ele] for some examples.

— in short, its fine, think of it more as a utility based skill vs raw OP dps based skill.

(:)

in Warrior

Posted by: Zavien.5197

Zavien.5197

You can dodge while damaging multiple things….. can’t do that while auto-attacking.

in Warrior

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I like Whirling Ax, though I use it with sword primary, not ax.

in Warrior

Posted by: Apakal.5718

Apakal.5718

Hitting 3+ targets and maintaining dodge/mobility are very valid, but I would like to see it hit a little harder. I’m talking out of mykitten a little here, but I don’t feel like it compares to some other classes AoE, or even our own longbow. 3 skill on Longbow crits like 8k on a single target at level 60. I don’t think Whirling Axe adds up to that.

in Warrior

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

I am a dual axer and it’s one of my favorite skills and it’s basically an adrenaline replenisher. It also tags a bunch of mobs and does a decent amount of damage. Maybe not the overwhelming numbers you were hoping for but not a worthless skill as it’s made to be by those that seem to dislike it.

in Warrior

Posted by: Strife.4956

Strife.4956

I love this skill,
OP you need to look at other things that it gives you not just direct damage output

GrimmWullf – 80 Warrior, DU
Arkktos – 80 Thief, DU
Down Under Guild – Stormbluff Isle

in Warrior

Posted by: Rusha.4725

Rusha.4725

It looks devastating and scary in sPvP. (confusion factor :P)

in Warrior

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

I don’t think the non-axe users know/realize you can dodge while using the skill and it won’t cancel. This alone is freaking awesome. It also fills up your adren super fast Who doesn’t like more meaty fat eviscerates?

Plus people get hella scared when you use it, and start scattering like flies.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in Warrior

Posted by: Deavon.3297

Deavon.3297

There is acually something wrong with that attack.It doesnt do as much as the tooltip says it should do.
I have compered with other skills and its in fact a bug. It should do a little more dmg.Or the tooltip should be changed or perhaps my warrior is buged.

in Warrior

Posted by: Xethos.3179

Xethos.3179

Ignoring damage, I hope you realise the skill is already fine as a mobile AoE adrenaline builder that happens to have damage tacked on as a bonus? I mean if you view it from this perspective, other professions would be puking at the thought of what complaints are actually here compared to others. It’s not like the skill doesn’t function or cannot kill or has no beneficial use in any way.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

It’s a combo finisher. Go do Whirling Axe inside a fire field and tell us again with a straight face that auto-attack still does more damage.

in Warrior

Posted by: Batpimp.6047

Batpimp.6047

Just would liek to thank everyone for their posts. it was very enlightening. i am now using 2 axes

in Warrior

Posted by: Jake Dressler.8204

Jake Dressler.8204

I think it’s pretty much completely fine as it is, though I wouldn’t mind gaining retaliation for the duration of the ability.

in Warrior

Posted by: Klaymen.2478

Klaymen.2478

Try this next time (in pve its pure death) run into a group and hit cyclone axe, once you have there attention & there weakened, pop signet of rage and frenzy. then use whirling axe. then when your Asura stops wobbling back and forth let out a mighty roar as everything around you is downed or dead.

ok you might have to hit a guard or warrior one more time but there dead and i swear i thought i was gonna take off like a helicopter you spin so fast with frenzy and it insta builds adren for a nice finish if someone doesnt die in the 2 second blast of death!

although in sPvP after you’ve done it once everyone just runs from you…

in Warrior

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

I love my axes so much that I don’t want to let them go even though I want to test other specs with my Warrior. Just telling you the truth the moment I had dual axes I couldn’t let them go.

Not saying they are the best weapons or the highest dps but just saying they fit my style the best.

Yes others love GS and those are nice and all but MMMMmmm love me some Axes.

Hopefully tonight I will have my Godskull axe reskinned onto a Exotic level 80 axe.

in Warrior

Posted by: Keilin.4297

Keilin.4297

I run with an off hand axe at all times. I love the whirling axe move. And you can move while using it. Don’t know about the main hand axe whirl.

Personally, I find there is nothing more exciting than running into a group of mobs and hitting that ability, then finishing with the MH sword lockdown that stacks my bleeds to 12 on everything…

in Warrior

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Whirling Axe is mathematically a joke but the average Warrior isn’t good at math so they will say “noooo it’s g00d bro rly”.

The reality is that the only Axe attacks worth using are Cyclone and autoattack, everything else is a major drain on your DPS.

in Warrior

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

i think the main reason to have an off hand axe would be to get the fury then use whirling axe to combo with fields, it has big potential for applying various conditions and bleeding since it lasts long and tick more.

in Warrior

Posted by: Isoril.8942

Isoril.8942

A big drain on your damage? A skill that hits an uncapped amount of targets and another that provides another form of Fury when signet of rage is on cd?

Yeah, right.

in Warrior

Posted by: Morguean.6041

Morguean.6041

I started with Great Sword/Hammer, after switching off of sword/warhorn, sword/shield, I am currently dual axes/rifle and I really enjoy it. I am currently precision/power focused, but I am only lvl 20, however I really dont have any problem killing mobs upwards of 3-4 lvls higher than myself

It may not have the visual punch of a short little asura using a great sword, but it is pretty impressive to me.

in Warrior

Posted by: The Dude.6942

The Dude.6942

Then someone smashes their shield into your face as you start whirling and its all wasted.

in Warrior

Posted by: Apakal.5718

Apakal.5718

Then someone smashes their shield into your face as you start whirling and its all wasted.

Which can be said for just about any ability in the game… Interrupts… Who knew?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Which can be said for just about any ability in the game… Interrupts… Who knew?

By that logic, 100B is a bad/wasted skill as well, right? I think I’m applying that logic correctly.

Also, it didn’t take long for the theorymathing to rear its ugly head.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Morguean.6041

Morguean.6041

all in all what matters is what you enjoy… but meh