When did we start being "OP"? (spvp)

in Warrior

Posted by: Remixex.2089

Remixex.2089

Disclaimer: This is all from the perspective of a low-ish skilled player, 50% win rate in unranked with 700 matches

Like, for real, I stopped doing competitive pvp on season 2, we were trash tier ( I even saw a post of a so-called warrior pro, with proof, saying that the class was absolutely unplayable), the condi meta ate us alive, i couldn’t 1v1 any class and the hammer started to suck, Revs could annihilate us with their torment and mallyx stances, etc

Now i come back using a similar build of when i left, except i swapped the hammer for a Shield and a Mace or an Axe (lately more mace than axe), and I’ve never felt so confident as a Warrior, my question is, What happened? What got nerfed? Did we get buffed? DHs are the only ones giving me trouble lately, and that’s because I’m bad

Either that or my MMR dropped so much i get matched with horrible people that can’t 1v1

in Warrior

Posted by: Xca.9721

Xca.9721

I donĀ“t think we are op, but atm its one of the strongest dps classes in pvp. This is mainly due to other classes getting nerfed (like rev).

I recommend you trying out this power build, its really fun and strong:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Berserker_-_GS/Mace_Burst

in Warrior

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Adrenal health happened. That we have resistance for days helps the condi issue you were having, and some of the builds you were probably fighting got some shaves.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in Warrior

Posted by: jenzie.4083

jenzie.4083

From a mesmers perspective you recently got some weird damage negation going on, you take no damage for like 20 seconds or something, then after that you take quite limited damage for a while and then booom you go down, unless I didn’t manage to dodge you until then. Also, those condition builds you got are a kitten when played right, just melts my face if I’m not careful.

in Warrior

Choppy.4183

From a mesmers perspective you recently got some weird damage negation going on, you take no damage for like 20 seconds or something, then after that you take quite limited damage for a while and then booom you go down, unless I didn’t manage to dodge you until then. Also, those condition builds you got are a kitten when played right, just melts my face if I’m not careful.

If you’re playing a condi mesmer, then it’s our 12-18 seconds of pulsing resistance on one skill with a 60s cd. If you’re power, it’s probably a combo of two 4-5 second physical damage immunity instances of one skill on 60s cd, and then blocks. If you denied the warrior his burst, that also cut his healing down by 2/3.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

In Season 5

• the game has been stripped of bunker amulets.
  • Revs have been appropriately nerfed (still need more nerfs/redesign but whatever)
  • The meta builds are mostly all defensive/condi setups without a lot of high burst damage which wears wars down faster.
  • Stuff

I actually find War quite easy to take down. But that’s because I’m playing zerker rifle/gs, and the meta war build has his health stripped (and endures procced) as quickly as they’re up. So Warrior isnt OP, he’s just not facing the right opponents out there who can truly endanger his life (used to be OP glass power tank practically god Rev)

in Warrior

Choppy.4183

@Ross Biddle
Would you have any trouble fighting warrior if you were still running your mesmer, or is it still about kite and defense while keeping a steady stream of damage?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Like Choppy said, it was adrenal health. They changed how it functioned….instead of us getting some healing with each bar of “unspent” adrenaline, we know get a crap ton of healing with each bar of “spent” adrenaline. That changed happened…..after the first 1/3 of last year I beleive.

You can look it up in the patch notes. THere were jokes all over at that time like “fixed a bug that prevented warriors from winning pvp matches”…and jokes wiht the daily warrior winner daily and all that….since warriors were considered undesirable losers at that point.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in Warrior

Ross Biddle.2367

@Ross Biddle
Would you have any trouble fighting warrior if you were still running your mesmer, or is it still about kite and defense while keeping a steady stream of damage?

Ooo, good question.

From my perspective fighting mes on war- It’s relatively easy to dispatch poor to average mesmers. The truly good mesmers, the mersmer mains, are impossible to kill unless they want to die. You can beat them on point, however at any point they can disengage, usually leaving a portal, and play the passive game. Reset and come back on their terms, possibly when you yourself have your stuff on CD.

Fighting War on Mesmer- If you’re power core mes or chrono, you’ve lost. Post HoT meta has relegated all high skill, high reward mesmer features to the trash can (lockdown, interrupt, burst setups). A team fighting support power chrono can work well, but is notably suboptimal vs the meta condi chrono setup. Warrior should be able to kill, and dominate the point vs any power setup.

Condi Chrono is going to give you your best matchup, or overall strat (thanks to portal), but whether power or condi war is always going to be able to bring his sig of might edge if he really wants to ruin chrono’s day. Even without it, there’s always a measure of fear when the warrior comes calling at your point when on Chrono. However you look at it, you know you’re going to lose your cap if nothing else. Eventually you’re going to have to pop that distortion or CS.

I’m really unhappy with mesmer currently. On the one hand you can see the obvious power of synergy in the meta condi chrono build. With everything he needs from mobility, to damage, to condition cleansing, on point sustain, and portal etc there’s no arguing how good he has it. At the same time it makes me sick thinking about how it plays, how no other setup can hope to compare, and how so much of the high skill, highly interesting elements have been locked out of use because they can’t function in the HoT game. In a blow for blow comparison, warrior feels like more skilled gameplay (within the functioning builds). Which is not something I’d ever thought would ever be the case before HoT.

in Warrior

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

It has great sustain good mobility (greatsword if power/hybrid) and easy to apply/great damage able to deal with focus fire be it condi or power and even has nice stability uptime if not the current highest in a typical meta build spvp match. Take that set up and place it in a bracket where most don’t bother to use teamwork or even communicate while having little to no knowledge about other classes skills/combos and you get something that can cause some serious pain.

Personally from what i have experienced to many ppl try to fight toe to toe with a warrior while they’re in berserker mode warriors prob imo at least have the easiest tells/animations to read out of all the classes in the game.

in Warrior

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Probably around the time that other class mains stopped getting carried and now can’t accept the fact that they can’t read the most telegraphed animations in the game? :y

If anything warrior has steadily been getting weaker as a core class, people just don’t dodge.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Warrior

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Probably around the time that other class mains stopped getting carried and now can’t accept the fact that they can’t read the most telegraphed animations in the game? :y

If anything warrior has steadily been getting weaker as a core class, people just don’t dodge.

Since when have necros ever gotten carried o.0.

in Warrior

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

• Revs have been appropriately nerfed (still need more nerfs/redesign but whatever)

Could you care to elaborate more in this point, please? I mean: power Rev is now probably outside the meta (I wouldn’t cover any of the 5 slots of a team with them), is arguably one of the hardest classes to master, the condition builds are subpar and is losing appeal in other departments of the game. Also, the class is mostly absent in ranked matches at gold or below. Which further nerfs would you like to see in Revenants? Should be enough once dissapears from PvP or should must also fade from PvE and WvW?

in Warrior

Ross Biddle.2367

Could you care to elaborate more in this point, please? I mean: power Rev is now probably outside the meta (I wouldn’t cover any of the 5 slots of a team with them), is arguably one of the hardest classes to master, the condition builds are subpar and is losing appeal in other departments of the game. Also, the class is mostly absent in ranked matches at gold or below. Which further nerfs would you like to see in Revenants? Should be enough once dissapears from PvP or should must also fade from PvE and WvW?

I’m tired so I don’t care to elaborate : D

Rev is badly designed. It shouldnt be any surprise that hacking its damage away has taken it out of play. Essentialy all the buttons people were using are still there, and they can still mash them away with little effort for maximum “reward”, but since they’re no longer getting an in excess of reasonable amount of damage, they’ve moved on. Nothing’s really changed with rev except for the free DPS carry, so reverting said damage isnt going to change the reason why Rev needed that nerf to begin with. I don’t know how to do it, but rev needs to be redesigned. Or, better yet in, have it disappear from the game entirely. It is just one of the many poorly thought out, over the top HoT additions that ruined the game.

Fact: The game is healthier without Rev. Season 5 has been a good indicator of that.

in Warrior

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

Rev is badly designed. It shouldnt be any surprise that hacking its damage away has taken it out of play. Essentialy all the buttons people were using are still there, and they can still mash them away with little effort for maximum “reward”, but since they’re no longer getting an in excess of reasonable amount of damage, they’ve moved on. Nothing’s really changed with rev except for the free DPS carry, so reverting said damage isnt going to change the reason why Rev needed that nerf to begin with. I don’t know how to do it, but rev needs to be redesigned. Or, better yet in, have it disappear from the game entirely. It is just one of the many poorly thought out, over the top HoT additions that ruined the game.

Fact: The game is healthier without Rev. Season 5 has been a good indicator of that.

Hmmm, you are the mesmer main that plays “killshot mesmer”, and want to nerf Rev. That tells me a lot.

in Warrior

Buran.3796

Rev is badly designed. It shouldnt be any surprise that hacking its damage away has taken it out of play. Essentialy all the buttons people were using are still there, and they can still mash them away with little effort for maximum “reward”, but since they’re no longer getting an in excess of reasonable amount of damage, they’ve moved on. Nothing’s really changed with rev except for the free DPS carry, so reverting said damage isnt going to change the reason why Rev needed that nerf to begin with.

Man, is not only damage what Rev lost. In the October patch the Retribution traitline (which was a sustain line) was butchered: goodbye stability, goodbye Versed in Stone. In the December patch Warding Rift cd (which is a defensive tool in a defensive weapon which damage was also nerfed) was rised from 12 to 15 seconds.

So you’re playing Mesmer and still have problems to beat a class without stability, almost no condition cleansing who can’t tank and which has Mesmers as one of the worst hard counter. And still struggling and wanting more nerfs? I will tell you one thing: Revs are currently so inelastic in terms of room for error that if one is beating you the chances are that He’s a better player and probably still will able to win even if ANet nerfs all his damage to a wet towell level. And every Rev at Plat+ you find out there will be in similar terms because the class is no longer mainstream so the players remaining are either very good or masochist.

in Warrior

Ross Biddle.2367

Hmmm, you are the mesmer main that plays “killshot mesmer”, and want to nerf Rev. That tells me a lot.

Yup! And been playing since day 1 release purely in WvW and PvP. So I’ve fought it all. I’ve seen everything. And through all the unbalance, crazy builds, and ridiculous META’s, nothing, absolutely nothing compares to the fundamental design of Rev. And I say that confidently despite the years of thief with their initiative system.

See, my bias is good. What’s yours?

in Warrior

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Rev is badly designed. It shouldnt be any surprise that hacking its damage away has taken it out of play. Essentialy all the buttons people were using are still there, and they can still mash them away with little effort for maximum “reward”, but since they’re no longer getting an in excess of reasonable amount of damage, they’ve moved on. Nothing’s really changed with rev except for the free DPS carry, so reverting said damage isnt going to change the reason why Rev needed that nerf to begin with.

Man, is not only damage what Rev lost. In the October patch the Retribution traitline (which was a sustain line) was butchered: goodbye stability, goodbye Versed in Stone. In the December patch Warding Rift cd (which is a defensive tool in a defensive weapon which damage was also nerfed) was rised from 12 to 15 seconds.

So you’re playing Mesmer and still have problems to beat a class without stability, almost no condition cleansing who can’t tank and which has Mesmers as one of the worst hard counter. And still struggling and wanting more nerfs? I will tell you one thing: Revs are currently so inelastic in terms of room for error that if one is beating you the chances are that He’s a better player and probably still will able to win even if ANet nerfs all his damage to a wet towell level. And every Rev at Plat+ you find out there will be in similar terms because the class is no longer mainstream so the players remaining are either very good or masochist.

Because getting stab on dodge and a dps rotation consisting of auto attack and precision strike whenever its up is hard to master how? How is that balanced in any since of the word? How is that fair to other classes?

Rev nerfs were well over due, but the problem is they nerfed the class without anything to compensate. They removed too much damage imo. And they still never fixed the ratio’s on precision strike.

Also when you say rev does ‘wet towel damage’. Just no. Hell no. Every single necro build does 30% less than rev does. THAT is wet towel damage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4v76gq/qt_updated_guides_and_dps_benchmarks_for_all/

In case you have any doubts. Revs issue isn’t dps, rev’s issue is that assassins presence isnt enough to make it a meta class as far as party buffs. Ventari is way too complicated to play to make it even somewhat viable, and condi rev, well yea, nothing to say there.

As for struggling. I think you and i have 2 very definitions of struggling. Rev has a lot of core class issues, which prevent it from being top teir at anything. But struggling? I guess engi’s and necro’s must be dying then.

in Warrior

Buran.3796

Also when you say rev does ‘wet towel damage’. Just no. Hell no. Every single necro build does 30% less than rev does. THAT is wet towel damage.

Was a prediction about that even if future changes nerf further the damage the Rev would be still viable in the right hands, not a claiming about Rev currently hitting like a “wet towel” -which isn’t true-.

in Warrior

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Warriors became OP with the addition of Adrenal Health. It added just enough survivability to let Warriors survive long enough to wreck anything in their paths. Plus new builds started showing up, so that in combination of AH made for a tanky warrior who could put out crazy high condition burst. Macebow was the build that became meta. Now, Mace/GS is meta, but Macebow is still a great spec. It does better 1v1 because it’s more of a bruiser, but Mace/GS can unleash massive crits in team fights.

But when it comes down to it, that extra 400-500 HPS really made a difference. And what helped keep Warriors OP were cheapness of stances and the auto proc Endure Pain. This is not to mention to ability to maintain more stability than a gyro Engi.

So, the combination of the addition of AH and the discovery of good builds made Warriors OP. Since then, there have been nerfs, but not enough. AH still heals for too long and doesn’t require a hit, so a blinded Warrior can spam Primal Bursts and maintain nearly 1k HPS.

Eventually, Warriors will be nerfed like Revs, but they’ll still be viable in the right hands, just like Rev.

in Warrior

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

AH still heals for too long and doesn’t require a hit , so a blinded Warrior can spam Primal Bursts and maintain nearly 1k HPS.

This is only true for Longbow burst. All other weapons require you to actually hit something.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "