Whirlwind Attack secret?

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Sometimes my Whirlwind Attack does 8-10K, but most of the time its 1500-4K. What is the trick to getting it to do the most damage?

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

There is no trick… lol?
Check right above your skills.
Maybe you were in a party and you had a lot of might stacks + boons galore…
or maybe you were in WvWvW killing a naked dude
or maybe you’re comparing damage on a bunny and damage on a end-game boss.

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: YojimboJones.6243

YojimboJones.6243

Grok, what you might be noticing is that if you start a normal whirlwind you might only hit an opponent with 1 or 2 of it’s hits while you move through them. However if you are using haste (or chilled, etc), which makes you only move half the distance, you spend more time with your opponent in the hitbox, making for more hits and greater damage. This also applies if your opponent has their back against a wall and you whirlwind into that wall. the wall stops your forward movement but you continue to spin in place and connect every hit on them.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this but I’m pretty sure thats how it works.

Yojimbo Jones: Norn Warrior
Niv Wizzet: Asura Engineer
[EMP] – Jade Quarry

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Coldviper.6794

Coldviper.6794

^ pretty much nailed it.
Funny how being crippled or chilled actually makes you hit with it a LOT harder. Which is the one scenario where if they buffed mobile strikes to remove cripple and chilled would actually weaken this ability.

[TW]Furion Zax – The Juggernaut Hammer Warrior

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

^ pretty much nailed it.
Funny how being crippled or chilled actually makes you hit with it a LOT harder. Which is the one scenario where if they buffed mobile strikes to remove cripple and chilled would actually weaken this ability.

Weaken one ability, but strengthen the class as a whole.

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: CoaxialMazer.9140

CoaxialMazer.9140

Weaken one ability, but strengthen the class as a whole.

+1

If you get frenzy though, it cuts the time for whirlwind to be the same as if you where chilled/immobilized/cripple and do it twice as fast. So you can still do that same dps, or do whirlwind on a wall that still hits the target for every strike.

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Daoshi.7618

Daoshi.7618

This also applies if your opponent has their back against a wall and you whirlwind into that wall. the wall stops your forward movement but you continue to spin in place and connect every hit on them.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this but I’m pretty sure thats how it works.

This is 100% correct. I choose to fight near terrain for this very reason.

This was on a single target level 80.

Attachments:

[SWaG] [ME] Xïü / Xïu / Xiezhi The Immortal
Human Warrior / Asura Guardian ( SPvP / TPvP r40 ) / Charr Guardian
Maguuma

(edited by Daoshi.7618)

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

^ pretty much nailed it.

Would you rather have conditions get reapplied easily because your mobility is impaired or maximize your damage on your predictable whirlwind attack? Seriously you don’t need to get chilled to maximize Whirlwind attack DPS.

Your statement is pretty simple-minded if you ask me.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Thanks for the replies, I should’ve been more specific though. I pretty much only do PvE. This is without frenzy/crippled/chilled etc. Sometimes it hits pretty weak and occassionally hits really hard. Don’t know if it’s angle I’m going at or my distance away from my foe

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Knamliss.9148

Knamliss.9148

^ pretty much nailed it.

Yes but you have to remember, the skill in it’s entirety was meant for movement and slashing multiple foes. It doesn’t necessarily buff the skill when you’re chilled/crippled/immobilized, you’re just hitting less targets. For single targets it’s great. But if you’re actually wanting to traverse a playing field and or hit multiple foes it’s a hindrance.

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Daoshi.7618

Daoshi.7618

Furthermore you guys are overlooking the sheer might stacking ability that WWA brings. Find a fairly tight knit group with Sigil of Strength and a good crit rate and BOOM 25stacks.

[SWaG] [ME] Xïü / Xïu / Xiezhi The Immortal
Human Warrior / Asura Guardian ( SPvP / TPvP r40 ) / Charr Guardian
Maguuma

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: Coldviper.6794

Coldviper.6794

Good grief people, in such a hurry to start an argument. I don’t think I ever said in that statement that it would be a bad thing for a mobile strikes buff. And I don’t, I would kill for mobile strikes to remove cripple and chill.

[TW]Furion Zax – The Juggernaut Hammer Warrior

Whirlwind Attack secret?

in Warrior

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

The damage number you see over your enemies head while using whirlwind attack is cumulative. You dont hit your enemy 1x for 8k but probably 4x for 2k. Look at the combat log to see the correct damage numbers for each individual hit.