Why Bladetrail has such a long cast time?

in Warrior

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

This is probably the easiest move to dodge in the whole game. It’s bad enough that it travels slowly but it has such an obvious long windup. Usually long cast time is reserve for powerful moves so why a weak move like bladetrail have such a long cast time?

in Warrior

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Because you’re hurling a Greatsword as if it were a boomerang (but in a straight line) without the aid of magic.

in Warrior

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

Because you’re hurling a Greatsword as if it were a boomerang (but in a straight line) without the aid of magic.

From a balance perspective, this is a terrible reply. A slow move thats easy to dodge should have a high impact when it lands, which is not the case. It’s basically auto-attack damage, and a short cripple.

From a lore perspective….. this is still a terrible reply. I would argue that Warriors (and engineers/thieves) DO actually use magic, just not in such an obvious way as the others. It’s for fueling their supreme feats of strength and endurance. How else do you explain outright regeneration from injuries, or launching an arrow that explodes into a giant field of fire?

in Warrior

Doon.2364

Maybe for weaklings, but my warrior is so strong he can toss a flying greatsword with just a flick of his fingers. I just want this game to reflect his true power.

(edited by Doon.2364)

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

From a balance perspective, this is a terrible reply. A slow move thats easy to dodge should have a high impact when it lands, which is not the case. It’s basically auto-attack damage, and a short cripple.

From a lore perspective….. this is still a terrible reply. I would argue that Warriors (and engineers/thieves) DO actually use magic, just not in such an obvious way as the others. It’s for fueling their supreme feats of strength and endurance. How else do you explain outright regeneration from injuries, or launching an arrow that explodes into a giant field of fire?

Or healing skills in general, signets, rampage, stances. From a lore perspective everyone uses magic in Tyria. Thats said my charr throws gs with one hand so hes definitely not weak to have it on 3/4 casttime unlike some lols humans, salads and asuras.

But AN goal is to keep warrior as realistic as possible so here we are..a slow and well telegraphed soldiers without any gimmick tricks like other classes and its will stay this way.

in Warrior

Doon.2364

But AN goal is to keep warrior as realistic as possible so here we are..a slow and well telegraphed soldiers without any gimmick tricks like other classes and its will stay this way.

Yup, it’s pretty realistic the greatsword can fly back to us like boomerang.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

Attachments:

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Irk. Its also looks stupid as f, just like rush in current form and hamstring. But what we can do? REROLL. Axe throw has the same problem as it magically returns back to us.

in Warrior

Doon.2364

Irk. Its also looks stupid as f, just like rush in current form and hamstring. But what we can do? REROLL. Axe throw has the same problem as it magically returns back to us.

I actually like the way bladetrail looks. I kinda wish it would fly farther and faster.

in Warrior

Doon.2364

On another note I kinda wish the return flight of the bladetrail will “pull” enemies like the axe skill of the Jotun Chieftain. That would warrant it’s slow cast time.

in Warrior

Dand.8231

I actually like the way bladetrail looks. I kinda wish it would fly farther and faster.

I actually like the look, and the theme of the ability! It just SUCKS mechanically. The bladetrail projectile needs to simply move much faster, a bit further, and ALWAYS return; 75% of the time it just vanishes and never comes back.

in Warrior

Posted by: adozu.6398

adozu.6398

75% of the time = when it hits a wall or falls off a cliff, positioning, you know?

in Warrior

Dand.8231

75% of the time = when it hits a wall, or falls off a cliff, or a tiny rock, or a slightly angled slope, any kind of stairs, ALL non-level ground, or occasionally just the air itself.

Fixed that for you

in Warrior

Posted by: adozu.6398

adozu.6398

i never had it disappear just from air itself as per non leveled ground and stairs well, it flies in a straight line in front of you, if that line crosses terrain or other features it disappears.

you may not like it but it’s a predictable behaviour it doesn’t just work sometimes and other times doesn’t on a whim.

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

The skill needs a buff. Projectile speed would help, shorter casttime too. Damage and Cripple seem fine and are quite useful.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

actually, we warriors have mesmer cloning skill, except that we can only use it on our swords, axes and greatsword.

each time we use impale, we throw a cloned sword at our victims to torment them and bleed them. why clone? because we are still wielding our real sword in our hands!

each time we use throw axe, we throw a cloned axe at our victims to cripple them. why clone? because we are still wielding our real axe in our hands!

each time we use blade trail, we throw a cloned greatsword at our victims to cripple them. and it returns! but we do not catch it, it disappears into our body! why clone? because we are still wielding our real greatsword in our hands!

yes, we warriors DO know some mesmer magic!

in Warrior

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

I would like to imagine it’s just due to our high amounts of testosterone which allows us to preform feats once thought to be outside the realm of possibility.

Also, having the attack pull on the way back would be awesome.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Warrior

Dand.8231

i never had it disappear just from air itself as per non leveled ground and stairs well, it flies in a straight line in front of you, if that line crosses terrain or other features it disappears.

you may not like it but it’s a predictable behaviour it doesn’t just work sometimes and other times doesn’t on a whim.

First, the behavior is not entirely predictable. There are TONS of instances of even perfectly flat ground obstructing all sorts of attacks of multiple classes. This is a well known issue.

Secondly, the world at large is not a big flat plain. There are terrain variations everywhere, from small lumps, bumps, hills, debris, rubble, stairs, walls, rocks, etc… this makes the world very interesting; a big flat level be boring. However this often causes problems for projectiles of all sorts.

So, even assuming that your projectile does work consistently, AND you begin the cast time with the rare clear path behind your enemy, by the time the projectile goes off, they may have moved to the side slightly, causing it to go off into a wall.

This is assuming they don’t simply dodge it. With a big telegraph, long cast, and slow projectile movement speed, the ability does not fare well against savvy players.

Finally, with the slow projectile movement speed, it will often miss enemies that are running away from you, simply by running out of range. I’ve encountered many instances where a fleeing foe with swiftness is simply not catchable by the projectile unless they’re ALREADY basically in melee range.

It is for these reasons I feel the projectile needs a slight range buff, a large projectile speed buff, and should always return, even when impacting a wall, object, etc.