Why do offensive shouts miss?

in Warrior

Posted by: Angriff.1935

Angriff.1935

It seems odd that a shout should be able to miss at all, but why do they miss when blinded? It seems like bad logic even for a videogame.

Character yells “I can’t see” then proceeds to “miss” a shout. Right…

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Maybe they are deaf. I can shout offensive things to a someone but if that can’t hear me it won’t hurt them.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

+1

shouts should never be affected by blindness.

Maybe they are deaf. I can shout offensive things to a someone but if that can’t hear me it won’t hurt them.

better if there was another condition “Mute” prevent shouts and spells would make more sense, but enough of more conditions we have already plenty of them.

in Warrior

Posted by: Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Think of your opponent dodging as psychologically ignoring the shout.

Think of the effect of blind on your shouts as your opponent seeing you shout in some random direction and laughing it off. “Who is he shouting at?”

#anetapologist

Men who achieve some power desire more until they destroy themselves trying to get it.—Turai Ossa
Sanctum of Rall since beta 3. Mesmer since 1070 AE

in Warrior

Angriff.1935

The oddest thing is that shouts are unblockable. Yet still affected by blind.

in Warrior

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

Are the devs aware of this?? It seems quite illogical even in a fantasy game

in Warrior

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Are the devs aware of this?? It seems quite illogical even in a fantasy game

I don’t even think there’s an “ignore blind” mechanic built into the game. There’s blind immunity, but not blind ignore. It would be an interesting mechanic to add into the game, although I doubt it’s on their priority list.

Be careful what you ask for though. If they did give shouts this property, they might end up weakening the effects somewhat so that’s it’s a tradeoff instead of a direct buff.

in Warrior

Angriff.1935

Well if you think about it this way, shouts do not give stability, so if you’re running a shout build, things like “fear me” need to be reliable for when you need to get people off of you.

Since blind is quite prevalent it actually happens quite often that you just flat out miss this shout.

I don’t think it would make the skill that much more attractive to bring. It’s still a shout and to reduce the cooldown you need to spec into tactics.

To make it immune to blind would just make it more reliable.

in Warrior

Yamsandjams.3267

Well if you think about it this way, shouts do not give stability, so if you’re running a shout build, things like “fear me” need to be reliable for when you need to get people off of you.

Since blind is quite prevalent it actually happens quite often that you just flat out miss this shout.

I don’t think it would make the skill that much more attractive to bring. It’s still a shout and to reduce the cooldown you need to spec into tactics.

To make it immune to blind would just make it more reliable.

Well, any skill will be more reliable when immune to blind. Necromancers could make the exact same argument about their fear abilites, and mesmers could make the same argument about their phantasm abilities.

The fact is that it’s an “attack” against your opponent, so it’s subject to blind just like everyone else’s abilities are.

in Warrior

Juba.8406

The fact is that it’s an “attack” against your opponent, so it’s subject to blind just like everyone else’s abilities are.

an attack that do 0 damage is not “attack”

in Warrior

Posted by: Boroming.8093

Boroming.8093

blind is kinda broken right now…
it works on gtaoe and blast too, and make no sense at all.

earthshake nemesis is blind… but why? i target the ground not a character… how can i miss?
the same goes for shout and other blast (pbaoe) in the game…

atm blind is op and broken… luckly we have a lot of cond removal

in Warrior

Yamsandjams.3267

an attack that do 0 damage is not “attack”

Same with necro fear, yet that can be avoided by blinding them before they use it. Phantasm and clone skills are also like that since they don’t actually do damage until they’re summoned, but the summon can “miss” due to blind. Pull skills are also affected by blind, such as magnet, even though it does not damage. Hell, even a skill that does nothing but blind the opponent can miss if you get blinded first.

Now the suggestion to have them be unaffected by blind isn’t inherently bad, and it might even be a good way to buff shouts or some other abilities. But trying to justify it by saying a shout is a “shout” and that it doesn’t do damage won’t cut it since it has to be considered in the same light as all other skills.

in Warrior

Juba.8406

all of your examples doesn’t make sense , “blind” interfere with precise aiming such like sword or rifle hit which needs you to aim to hit your target but an AoE skill doesn’t need aiming or targeting to hit and cant be be blinded, its AoE no need for precise aiming if you are in range and got hit by an AoE skill like shouts blind should never save you.

that’s why i said “Mute” a new condition to prevent shouts and spells would make more sense, because right now Blind is too OP even Ranger traps miss when blinded how could this make sense.