Will the Hammer fall victim to AOE nerfs?

in Warrior

Posted by: MuffinOrama.7531

MuffinOrama.7531

Who cares if it isn’t a damage dealing weapon, ANET’s line of logic will probably nerf all of its stuns despite the fact that they’re already meh on boss mobs. I look forward to running pure greatsword!

in Warrior

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Lets all start complaining after they have implemented the patch and we have seen the results of it.You can speculate all you want,but it’s pretty useless imo.

in Warrior

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

Assuming they are doing things sanely and have played their game.. they won’t nerf warrior and will simply buff other builds so we have more than hammer/shout/glass.

Our aoe is necessary because we have to be next to our target for it. We’d be a useless class with -any- nerfs on aoe potential. We already have a maximum three targets to hit with a hundred blades.

Not many people use hammer, they should be encouraging variety.

Plus, they haven’t nerfed other classes cough thief cough culling so until they do that it would be unfair and hypocritical to nerf hammer builds. I only use hammers occasionally for lulz as it is.

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

in Warrior

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The problem is that anet hasn’t given us any reason to think they’ve put anything that resembles sane, rational thought into the changes.

For the most part they’ve been really lazy with changes they’ve made to the game so it will likely just be a blanket 20% reduction in aoe damage to all classes across the board.

Which means every single warrior weapon will be nerfed besides warhorn and shield. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised though.

in Warrior

Posted by: tofukiller.9842

tofukiller.9842

As a dedicated hammer warrior, that would be possibly the worst thing that could happen to me. :/

But I shall see, since I don’t get this whole “nerf AoE” at all. oO I still have axe/mace if it’s too bad…

Thanatar – Warrior of [AMOK]

in Warrior

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

For the most part they’ve been really lazy with changes they’ve made to the game so it will likely just be a blanket 20% reduction in aoe damage to all classes across the board.

I have felt the same way for a long time. People will defend this Im sure, but
compared to the last two MMOs Ive played, the input from them is VERY
minimal, let alone changes.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

Lets all start complaining after they have implemented the patch and we have seen the results of it.You can speculate all you want,but it’s pretty useless imo.

But then it’s too late. The changes are already in (effectively killing other classes), and knowing Anet’s track-record, they won’t back out of it – once live. If we voice our concerns now, we might, just might have a chance not to see it go live. (I know what the odds are, that’s why I say might).

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

in Warrior

fellyn.5083

As a dedicated hammer warrior, that would be possibly the worst thing that could happen to me. :/

But I shall see, since I don’t get this whole “nerf AoE” at all. oO I still have axe/mace if it’s too bad…

Well the question is how will it affect our main hand auto attacks since they cleave and that’s considered aoe.

I worry that they will take the lazy path and nerf the auto attack too.

in Warrior

Thunderbrew.7034

I couldnt fathom it affecting hammers considering the AOE
damage on them is so minimal, but Ive been surprised before.

IMO they need to put a better movement skill or gap closer on
the hammer to make it more viable (meanwhile GS has 2) for
survival.

in Warrior

Posted by: Thor.4065

Thor.4065

I really don’t think they are talking about hammer AoE for the nerfs. It’s more along the lines of Meteor Shower or possibly Barrage. They mentioned using AoE in dungeons, " right now if you have a lot of AoE you can past encounters by just spamming AoE which is not what we want." There is no way they are thinking about Hammer AoE in that instance because nobody spams hammer AoE to get past encounters because it’s pretty weak.

in Warrior

Thunderbrew.7034

I agree Thor. If they nerf it soley based on the dungeon situation,
I hope it doesnt effect WvW.

As I said before, profession AOE is not OP in WvW unless people
are stacking it, AND the enemy stands in it (which I have no sympathy
for someone taking a shower in it and not getting out).

in Warrior

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

Hammer attack speed is slower than molasses.

in Warrior

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

The developers said it won’t be a blanket nerf to all aoe skills.

They will look into every single aoe skill and judge how much to nerf it.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Warrior

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

I really don’t think they are talking about hammer AoE for the nerfs. It’s more along the lines of Meteor Shower or possibly Barrage. They mentioned using AoE in dungeons, " right now if you have a lot of AoE you can past encounters by just spamming AoE which is not what we want." There is no way they are thinking about Hammer AoE in that instance because nobody spams hammer AoE to get past encounters because it’s pretty weak.

Maybe if the encounters didn’t have hordes of enemies who did crazy amounts of damage if left unchecked, people would be more inclined to use single target attacks and utilities.

in Warrior

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

But then it’s too late. The changes are already in (effectively killing other classes), and knowing Anet’s track-record, they won’t back out of it – once live. If we voice our concerns now, we might, just might have a chance not to see it go live. (I know what the odds are, that’s why I say might).

What we will say before they even implement the patch won’t change a thing imo.They will first implement it and afterwards they will review how it worked out and if it needs to be balanced again.Im also an avid hammer user and wouldnt be happy if they touched it,but still ill just wait andsee what they change before suggesting something.

in Warrior

Posted by: Manticore Five.9867

Manticore Five.9867

Most likely, they’ll nerf all standard AoE to 4 max targets, and 3-target AoE to 2-targets.

Their truthful motivation will actually be the culling issue: They didn’t buy enough server horsepower to handle the game they ended up with, and because their servers can’t hack WvW without hiding 95% of the players from 100% of the players, they’re taking measures to make their servers do less work.

Next they’ll “fix” conditions by reducing max stacks by half, because tracking conditions is apparently too hard on the server.

in Warrior

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

I couldnt fathom it affecting hammers considering the AOE
damage on them is so minimal, but Ive been surprised before.

IMO they need to put a better movement skill or gap closer on
the hammer to make it more viable (meanwhile GS has 2) for
survival.

I kinda agree on both points. The AOE a hammer warrior puts out is prety small. Most of our AOE is the standard melee 3 target cleave effect. About the only significant standard AOE they could nerf is earthshakers damage and even thats prety small compaired to what a staff ellie can dish out and more frequently to boot.

For a gap closer I’d love to see fierce blow(2) gain the leap effect of savage leap. would give us a gap closer to use when we have no adrenalin and wouldn’t particularly impact the current usage of the skill. I dont see any of the other skills being particuarly suited to a change.

in Warrior

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

I think by AOE they mean the 1200 range reticle stuff more so than melee range skills. If anything the Hammer could use some love to make it better in PVE. It’s difficult to justify using it over a greatsword when most things have the defiant buff

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

in Warrior

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

I think by AOE they mean the 1200 range reticle stuff more so than melee range skills. If anything the Hammer could use some love to make it better in PVE. It’s difficult to justify using it over a greatsword when most things have the defiant buff

somewhat useful in AC for dealing with breeders but then agian so are those 1200 range reticle AOE’s.

in Warrior

fellyn.5083

What they say and what they actually do have turned out to be two completely different things.

Case in point – legendary precursor scavenger hunt they said they were working on over 3 months ago. Turns out…they weren’t.

in Warrior

Posted by: Thor.4065

Thor.4065

What they say and what they actually do have turned out to be two completely different things.

Case in point – legendary precursor scavenger hunt they said they were working on over 3 months ago. Turns out…they weren’t.

Never said they were working on it. They said they were thinking about it/looking into how it could be implemented.

On topic: There is no way they will just nerfbat all AoE’s. They JUST said they wouldn’t and if they do, there will be extreme backlash, which they definitely want to avoid.

in Warrior

fellyn.5083

Never said they were working on it. They said they were thinking about it/looking into how it could be implemented.

No, there was a post saying that it was definitely being worked on which is coincidentally now missing.

Anyways, that’s for a different topic. Point is we can’t exactly trust the integrity of anets word on what they are or are not going to do.

in Warrior

Posted by: TheAngryLlama.7641

TheAngryLlama.7641

I doubt it. The abilities that they will be mostly targetting (from what I understand they want to tone down) is AoE abilities that are more powerful on single targets than single target abilities. Necro wells (as much as I hate it being i main a necro), theif shortbow, mesmer mind wrack etc. Basically I think they want that if an attack is an AoE, it shouldn’t do more damage to a single target than a dedicated single target ability. ie attacks should do say 10 damage to a single target, AoE’s should do 6 damage but to up to 5 targets. Currently there are AoE hits out there that do 11 damage and the fact that they AoE is just considered a bonus

in Warrior

Posted by: ThirtyOne.3976

ThirtyOne.3976

I don’t think the Hammer will be hit incredibly hard, but there are causes for concern within the Auto Attack and Earthshaker, so if anywhere in my mind, they will be the first ports of call if the Warrior Hammer gets addressed.

Great Sword (3), Longbow (3), Spear (2 and 5) and Axe Offhand (5) I think are in for a seeing to as far as Warrior should be concerned.

Save my heart tomorrow.

in Warrior

fellyn.5083

Axe 5 is terrible though. It’s only good because you can move while using it.

I have concern for the autos on all of our weapons (but bow and rifle) because they can be considered aoe if anet wants to be really picky.

in Warrior

Posted by: Novalight.7568

Novalight.7568

Axe 5 is terrible though. It’s only good because you can move while using it.

I have concern for the autos on all of our weapons (but bow and rifle) because they can be considered aoe if anet wants to be really picky.

Well axe 5 has 5 target limit…so if you have 5 targets to hit it’s quite good, it’s also nice for proccing on-hit effects, and it looks cool . Against 1 target..it’s meh.

And yeah, if they somehow decide to nerf autoattack…

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee