WvW Warrior Commentary - Hammer/GS

in Warrior

Posted by: Sanny.1270

Sanny.1270

Alright, i haven’t posted up a warrior video in a while so deiced to do this one with a commentary after being assaulted with tells in game to try one :P. so here it is, along with the current hammer/gs build and gear sets i run with, slightly changed from my previous hammer/gs video.

Vid – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8C4V2TLMY

Build – http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQJARSjcOtwxO6OMxBEkCNkLMKKCgQ9YOqjNE-jkxAYrARgASeFRjtMWENWdNmylIqWKgIGDA-w

This is my first attempt at doing a commentary ever, so its not going to be perfect, i tried to use fights that lasted more then 10s so i would at least have some stuff to talk about, it is a longer video, but thats mostly due to the first few mins i go over traits/gear/ect.. any further ones will have more footage and higher quality fights ect.

Again This is a WvW video, where the warrior is slightly more viable, not saying its the best wvw class, it has its issues in wvw to,, but it is not as poor as it is in Tpvp. Everyone is aware of the warrior’s position on a 5 man roster. but that’s more of a warrior design + Tpvp design. its not fully just a class issue. ( Conquest in a mmo, did anyone really expect anything less then a tank/healer to be viable class options? i didn’t )

anyways, give feed back/ constructive criticism/ discuss and so on, if people want more commentary’s i’ll make them, or i can go back to the standard music and montage.

Enjoy.

Second To God ~ 80 Warrior
http://www.youtube.com/user/T3hSanny

in Warrior

Posted by: AlBundy.7851

AlBundy.7851

Give this man a pink hammer Arenanet!!! Wtf is taking so long???

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

Give this man a pink hammer Arenanet!!! Wtf is taking so long???

i would deff rock a pink hammer. :d

in Warrior

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Alright, i haven’t posted up a warrior video in a while so deiced to do this one with a commentary after being assaulted with tells in game to try one :P. so here it is, along with the current hammer/gs build and gear sets i run with, slightly changed from my previous hammer/gs video.

Vid – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8C4V2TLMY

Build – http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQJARSjcOtwxO6OMxBEkCNkLMKKCgQ9YOqjNE-jkxAYrARgASeFRjtMWENWdNmylIqWKgIGDA-w

This is my first attempt at doing a commentary ever, so its not going to be perfect, i tried to use fights that lasted more then 10s so i would at least have some stuff to talk about, it is a longer video, but thats mostly due to the first few mins i go over traits/gear/ect.. any further ones will have more footage and higher quality fights ect.

Again This is a WvW video, where the warrior is slightly more viable, not saying its the best wvw class, it has its issues in wvw to,, but it is not as poor as it is in Tpvp. Everyone is aware of the warrior’s position on a 5 man roster. but that’s more of a warrior design + Tpvp design. its not fully just a class issue. ( Conquest in a mmo, did anyone really expect anything less then a tank/healer to be viable class options? i didn’t )

anyways, give feed back/ constructive criticism/ discuss and so on, if people want more commentary’s i’ll make them, or i can go back to the standard music and montage.

Enjoy.

I think this is 90% player skill 10% build. You are a really good player but this build isnt the best. I could give you some ideas how to make it better if you wanted. I think with any build you could be good though. Just don’t make people think if they switch to your build they are all of a sudden going to be good. Warrior profession doesnt carry player.

I think the point of maxing DIs is more crit power but destruction of the empowered is a bad skill. It wont break through protection, unless the target has boons its useless and the target must have at least 4 boons to make it good. So I would propse to only put 25 in dis so you could retain the 3% burst. Instead drop the 20 in Str and put 25 in arms. Put sigil of earth in the weapons you would get 93% chance to inflict bleeding thus you would always do 10% more damage. U lose berserkers power but that only helps you if your adrenaline is full in which case as soon as the burst is over its of no help. you would trade the 10% damage with the GS to Might stacking with a GS and Faster Cool downs of GS skills. If your able to stack enough might with the GS passive I think that all but negates the 200 Drop in Power. Just my thoughts.

Use sigil of blood lust on another weapon to make up for Power loss build some stacks before you roam. What this would do if u did it my way Is give your more consistent damage overall.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

in Warrior

Posted by: Majax.3549

Majax.3549

Video bloqued cuz music copyright

in Warrior

Posted by: Nickeloneon.8714

Nickeloneon.8714

More commentary’s please

Nycke / Best warrior evar ~ 11111111111111111-5-F1… I win!!

in Warrior

Posted by: Avlis.1392

Avlis.1392

Video bloqued cuz music copyright

Use proxy server

in Warrior

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

Hell yes, haven’t watched it yet but I’ve been waiting for more of your videos since the last GS/Hammer video. I’ve been subbed and check often and often quote your videos to new warriors to watch and learn from. Honestly, your first video was the reason I leveled a warrior in the first place. /tips hat

----------

Watched video, good commentary but try to talk more strategy instead of just talking about what your doing. Overall, great!

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

(edited by ArtemisEntreri.4138)

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

Thanks. been getting a lot of good feedback so far with it, so i may continue to do more.

@ the country blocks, i may have fixed that for this video, if not i’ll make sure it view able for everyone in the next video.

@warload Thanks and yeah deff do not wan’t people to automatically think if i run X Y or Z build its an auto win option. you get hard punished for mistakes. its not as forgiving as other class’s imo.

As for DoE even if the target has every boon in the game on them, its only a 27% dps with protection being 33 decrease. although protection isn’t going to have a 24/7 up time in most cases it will drop/does drop while other boons are still active. witch is why i deiced to give a shot, but imo the trait could have been implemented better.
myself personally, i never been a fan of using the GS to MS outside of pve but have always wanted to try it. i may give it a go.

@ artemis thanks man <3 i’ll work on it for the next one.

in Warrior

Posted by: Kaga.7629

Kaga.7629

Gameplay wise, you got it down, fosho.

Equipment/build wise I would probably go with an optimised knights/zerker set, maybe with a cavalier trink tossed in there for more defense and comparable precision. Because of maintenance oils, any major boost in defense also raises your precision. End result would be a little more tanky, a little bit less crit damage, but even better survivability.

Build wise i’dd consider 10/0/30/0/30 ( once again, more defenses harmonises with oils) or maybe 20/0/30/0/20 if you drop boonhate.

—Kaga Konikora (aka ze evil frostkeep defense director)
Beware, for Commander Kaga farms j00, ktrainer!
r.i.p [iLL] Maguuma

in Warrior

Posted by: Mepheles.2087

Mepheles.2087

I’ve been running a hammer build as well, still practicing though I use a similar build cept mine is 15/0/25/30 with Cull the Weak, Heightened Focus, Burst Mastery, and Berserkers power I find it works fine whether 1v1 or in groups, biggest downside is that I am not very good at getting away if need be. plus Im not in the gear I would LIKE to be in. I mostly rolled hammer because It seemed like a nice change, plus you don’t see many hammer warriors. good vid

Gates of Madness

(edited by Mepheles.2087)

in Warrior

Posted by: Kuruoza.4680

Kuruoza.4680

Nice commentary

in Warrior

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

Awesome commentary! I would like to see you do more videos with different weapon sets.

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in Warrior

Posted by: ArtemisEntreri.4138

ArtemisEntreri.4138

@Kaga

What would be an optimized knight/zerker setup? How much thoughness is really needed?

This is a good question. How much toughness/armor is needed if you know how to dodge correctly and counter attacks? I think that’s why Sanny went full Zerker. The kill them before they kill you strategy.

Guardian / Warrior / Thief / Necromancer
Black Gate – Immortals of the Mist [IoM]

in Warrior

Posted by: Chill Winston.7263

Chill Winston.7263

Nice commentary Sanny. I actually learned something by watching your vid.

Slater Alligator
Norn Warrior

in Warrior

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

If you have -98% movement condition durations, how come that ranger keeps you crippled for a long time? I would imagine you become invulerable to movement conditions…

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

If you have -98% movement condition durations, how come that ranger keeps you crippled for a long time? I would imagine you become invulerable to movement conditions…

i was using my divinity gear set in the fight against the ranger, so i only had the 33% reduction at the time of that fight

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

@Kaga

What would be an optimized knight/zerker setup? How much thoughness is really needed?

This is a good question. How much toughness/armor is needed if you know how to dodge correctly and counter attacks? I think that’s why Sanny went full Zerker. The kill them before they kill you strategy.

Other then the kill it before it kills you strat and i like to burst people in mmo’s i play. im of the opinion of the warrior is just gimping themselves more when trying to go defensive in gear. without protection the amount of toughness you stack isn’t going to change much other then just lowering your dps.

in Warrior

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

@Kaga

Other then the kill it before it kills you strat and i like to burst people in mmo’s i play. im of the opinion of the warrior is just gimping themselves more when trying to go defensive in gear. without protection the amount of toughness you stack isn’t going to change much other then just lowering your dps.

Its more of lack of ways to heal yourself back up you cant play the attrition playstyle most classes can. DPS is the way to go on a War.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

in Warrior

Posted by: Bartlewe.6432

Bartlewe.6432

Sanny I have about another week where I can’t play… make some more warrior roaming videos. K thx

in Warrior

Posted by: Kaga.7629

Kaga.7629

@Kaga

You take :
knights helm
zerk shoulder
knights chest
zerk gloves
knights pants
zerk boots

I went with a 10/0/30/10/20 with a similar backpane ( but i use the zerky one with vit) and managed to get my built to 2940 armor total and about 20.5k hp. While retaining 74% crit damage bonus ( still need to get a zerky ascended backslot, but that would push critdam to 79%). Master maintenance oil helps reconvert that tou into prec, and so does the vit on my trinkets.

Honestly, 3K armor self cleansing zerk feels a little bit like easymode, but i like it. I go with axe/shield for second set and I also use signet of fury for the improved precision and adrenaline management ( to repump off after a spike )

—Kaga Konikora (aka ze evil frostkeep defense director)
Beware, for Commander Kaga farms j00, ktrainer!
r.i.p [iLL] Maguuma

(edited by Kaga.7629)

in Warrior

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

i was using my divinity gear set in the fight against the ranger, so i only had the 33% reduction at the time of that fight

Okay. But If you had the -98%. does that make you immune to movement conditions? Like they don’t even get on you in the first place?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

What sigil do you use on your hammer?

Nice footage, and like others have said, I’ve learned something.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

Okay. But If you had the -98%. does that make you immune to movement conditions? Like they don’t even get on you in the first place?

they will hit you then come right off. near immunity not fully. also remember there is a +40% condition duration food. so that drops the reduction you get.

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

i use sigil of impact on the hammer.

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

@Kaga

Its more of lack of ways to heal yourself back up you cant play the attrition playstyle most classes can. DPS is the way to go on a War.

yeah basically. with out the proper tools at the warrior’s disposal you don’t gain anything rather you lose trying to build for something we can’t attain by ourselves.

in Warrior

Puandro.3245

While sigil of impact is nice i think a paralyzation sigik to boost your hammer stuns another second is better.

in Warrior

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

While sigil of impact is nice i think a paralyzation sigik to boost your hammer stuns another second is better.

i think paralyzation is better for groups, to help keep them locked down for everyon else, but for soloing, the damage is a better choice

in Warrior

Puandro.3245

i think paralyzation is better for groups, to help keep them locked down for everyon else, but for soloing, the damage is a better choice

I disagree, it affects your #4/5 and F1. Also Bull Rush if you have Hammer equipped and since he has GS he can HB for an extra second before using WW.

in Warrior

AlBundy.7851

I don’t think Sanny uses HB or staggering blow much in his fights(cause they root him and a immobile warrior is a dead warrior)so that extra second isn’t much of a game changer. He wants as much damage as he can get to go towards his burst opportunities. At least that’s what I gather from reading what he’s wrote.

in Warrior

Puandro.3245

I don’t think Sanny uses HB or staggering blow much in his fights(cause they root him and a immobile warrior is a dead warrior)so that extra second isn’t much of a game changer. He wants as much damage as he can get to go towards his burst opportunities. At least that’s what I gather from reading what he’s wrote.

Probably because 2 sec stun isnt that long to weapon swap do half of a HB then WW. 3 secs is though.

in Warrior

AlBundy.7851

Sanny uses his Greatsword like the majority of warriors as a tool to disengage and gap close but mostly to disengage. HB never really gets factored in unless to punish a person stupid enough to try a rez on a downed ally before dealing with the warrior.

3 seconds still isn’t enough since the actual channel is 3.5 the actual damage of HB comes at the end of the channel the last hit is the most damaging. Most people run a break stun ability or have some sort of stability when stunned as well.

in Warrior

Puandro.3245

Sanny uses his Greatsword like the majority of warriors as a tool to disengage and gap close but mostly to disengage. HB never really gets factored in unless to punish a person stupid enough to try a rez on a downed ally before dealing with the warrior.

3 seconds still isn’t enough since the actual channel is 3.5 the actual damage of HB comes at the end of the channel the last hit is the most damaging. Most people run a break stun ability or have some sort of stability when stunned as well.

I think you are giving too much credit to the common WvW person. Anyways if he doesnt want to use HB during stuns i can see how impact is better. Also the last hit of HB hits the hardest but it also takes twice as long to hit as the other ones.

in Warrior

Posted by: XII.9401

XII.9401

Great job! Glad your playing a warrior.

in Warrior

XII.9401

Probably because 2 sec stun isnt that long to weapon swap do half of a HB then WW. 3 secs is though.

Meh just use sword. 4 sec immobilize.

in Warrior

Puandro.3245

Imob is affected by condi reduction food, is also allows full use of abilities so ppl can counter your burst.

in Warrior

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

Great stuff, Sanny. I would love to see more commentary videos with using different weapon sets and builds.

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

Wait, sigil of para increases both stun, knockdown and knockback?

And by a SECOND? Isn’t it supposed to be 15%? I never even gave it a second look because of that number, but a second is huge…

Then again, won’t that get ‘fixed’?

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Sanny.1270

as mentioned i don’t really 100b/hammer 4 ect.. unless its for fan dmg on a downed player or to interrupt a rez. i really hate abilities that don’t allow a player to be mobile when pvping.

in Warrior

XII.9401

Imob is affected by condi reduction food, is also allows full use of abilities so ppl can counter your burst.

Not many thieves -and even some mesmers- run condi reduc food. Even with reducing 4sec immob duration by 40% then it is still more than 4 sconds. I’d say >2 secs and maybe averages to 3secs just like the duration averaging on stuns using sigil of paralyzation. it is still significant on a 7-9 sec cool down and easily applied after sword 2 gap closer.

You don’t get a 100b off, you interrupt it by a GS3 to get the rest of the damage off. No warrior stunner has mobility on it as good as a sword.

Even when the 4 sec immob is off i hate finishing a normal 100b because you are a sitting duck for a 2nd player.

(edited by XII.9401)

in Warrior

Posted by: Tyrion.4259

Tyrion.4259

@Kaga

You take :
knights helm
zerk shoulder
knights chest
zerk gloves
knights pants
zerk boots

I went with a 10/0/30/10/20 with a similar backpane ( but i use the zerky one with vit) and managed to get my built to 2940 armor total and about 20.5k hp. While retaining 74% crit damage bonus ( still need to get a zerky ascended backslot, but that would push critdam to 79%). Master maintenance oil helps reconvert that tou into prec, and so does the vit on my trinkets.

Honestly, 3K armor self cleansing zerk feels a little bit like easymode, but i like it. I go with axe/shield for second set and I also use signet of fury for the improved precision and adrenaline management ( to repump off after a spike )

Good minds think alike. I too did something VERY similar to this. I use Melandru runes for more toughness and dogged march with lemongrass to shrug off conditions (similar to to the OP). I also use signet of fury as well. The key for this build to shine in a very awesome way? L-E-G …. S-P-E-C-I-A-L-I-S-T. The hammer and greatsword range snares turns into immobilizes. That and bull’s charge and FGJ.

10/0/30/10/20. I don’t run with balanced stance and rely on Last Stand maybe a bit too mcuh but I love signet of fury to pop full adrenaline and the passive crit chance boost is fantastic. AND, when on the zerg play and want to switch it up? Pop a longbow on your back and switch out leg specialist for stronger bowstrings. Perfect … game set match.

65%+ burst damage and over 50% crit (with 0 specced in Arms). Got to love it.

Sure I won’t hit as hard but I love the utility dogged march and last stand brings.

in Warrior

Tyrion.4259

This is where the tides can turn with putting 10 in Tactics. Get leg specialist and you can land your 100blades alot more often than one might think. Bull’s Charge, Hammer Shock, and Bladetrail all are potential opps to land 100blades – not a full one, but enough with a whirlwind to make a nice dent.

in Warrior

XII.9401

This is where the tides can turn with putting 10 in Tactics. Get leg specialist and you can land your 100blades alot more often than one might think. Bull’s Charge, Hammer Shock, and Bladetrail all are potential opps to land 100blades – not a full one, but enough with a whirlwind to make a nice dent.

Leg specialist is 1 sec immobilize. Bulls charge>>knock down for 2 sec>>>1/2 to hammer shock>>hammer shock lands>>>1 sec immobilize>>basically you landed immobilize during the knock down effect rendering the 1 sec immobilize useless. Lets say you bulls charged..waited a bit..hammer shock at the end..you still have 1 second of immobilize to work your 3.5 100b on.

Blade trail is just as bad at setting up 100b. Assuming you are hugging them when you throw it then you get the 1st sec immobilie then there is a break where they can dodge before the returning blade hits them so you only get 1sec immobilize again.

Both the blade trail and hammer shock have a longer cool down than even an untraited F1 Hammer shock. Asides from thieves and mesmers, few classes can keep breaking out of stuns on a 7-9s cool down. Even better is the sword immobilize. Classes have a harder time with immobilize than stun breaks -broken thieves and mesmers are an exception, of course-.

So in the bladetrail and hammer shock with leg specialist combos mentioned you won’t even get to land half the 100b.

You have a better chance of using bolas or AOE hammer stun with sigil of paralyation and using a 100b right after and then GS3 before 100b finishes. Sword burst is also a good immobilize for a 100b every 7-9 seconds and is hard to break out of repeatedly -especially since your in their face with Sword 2-. Sword is pretty good set up for 100b but the only problem is you are using a 100b..

Using a normal duration 100b is a bad idea if you are against more than one target. You are basically a sitting duck that can be bursted by the 2nd target..hell..even your main target if its smart can burst you if it pops invulnerability abilities. I guess that is what we have.

The long cast time on it while being rooted or even NOT rooted is just pure stupidity.

(edited by XII.9401)

in Warrior

Tyrion.4259

I gotcha. Great points. I think that leg specialist at a bear bone minimum helps land an earthshaker. And really chasing people down. I never suggested using bulls charge and hammer shock / bladetrail back to back.

I do need to reconsider the applicability of 100blades in some fights to your point. I agree that there is blatant openings where I am subject to being murdered if on more than 1 opponent

Maybe you have to pick up frenzy to make this work better?

in Warrior

XII.9401

I gotcha. Great points. I think that leg specialist at a bear bone minimum helps land an earthshaker. And really chasing people down. I never suggested using bulls charge and hammer shock / bladetrail back to back.

I do need to reconsider the applicability of 100blades in some fights to your point. I agree that there is blatant openings where I am subject to being murdered if on more than 1 opponent

Maybe you have to pick up frenzy to make this work better?

Or just use GS3 to interrupt 100b 2/3 of the way.You will get the feel to when you need to do that. That way you can squeeze in the damage and at the same time use the immunity from GS3.

The problem with a regular 100b is it roots you for 3.5 seconds. Unacceptable in fast pace spvp where sitting still means death. You might have dropped your target with your slow kitten 100b but his buddy just dropped you then stomped you thus defeating the purpose from your 100b.

At this time it requires an unacceptable amount of set up to get it off while a single heart seeker does similar damage with no set up and is spammable. That is totally unfair to the warrior class and should be addressed ESPECIALLY after the nerf of the frenzy which was used in our only valid pigeon hole build.

I would have no problem with a trait that increases frenzy to 100% speed and 50% recieved damage -even though thieves get no penalty and rangers have no penalty..I don’t think ‘reduced healing recieved’ or ‘drained endurance’ matter for kitten because no body bursts when they need healing or need to dodge..also you have stealth/endurance restoration to combat that-. But hey..us warriors are used to not having our class carry us.

(edited by XII.9401)

in Warrior

Tyrion.4259

Yea I do that naturally now knowing fully I won’t land a full 100b. Plus, whirlwind is great since it’s basically a dodge attack with supreme damage.