autoattack question

autoattack question

in Warrior

Posted by: intently.4502

intently.4502

Guides seem to agree that GS is the best primary weapon for warriors, but it appears to me that the autoattack of axe is superior to the autoattack of GS. Am I wrong? It’s not obvious to me that hundred blades is better than axe autoattack.

Can someone point me to some numbers?

Thanks!

autoattack question

in Warrior

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/New-Pure-Greatsword-Build

Go to the guru link inside the thread. The answer is purely from an autoattack, you would be mostly right (assuming Might stacks). However, it has to do with Forceful Greatsword trait and using all other GS abilities on cooldown. The difference is rather minimal regardless.

autoattack question

in Warrior

intently.4502

Thanks for the pointer!

My interpretation then is that Axe is superior to GS until you get Forceful Greatsword.

autoattack question

in Warrior

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Thanks for the pointer!

My interpretation then is that Axe is superior to GS until you get Forceful Greatsword.

the faster axe auto attack is always better than gs just because it helps cleave mobs down faster… Never camp gs. Do 100 blades then whirlwhind into the wall then switch back to axe.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

autoattack question

in Warrior

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Thanks for the pointer!

the faster axe auto attack is always better than gs just because it helps cleave mobs down faster… Never camp gs. Do 100 blades then whirlwhind into the wall then switch back to axe.

You’re a few months out of date. Camping GS is the new meta (spam all the skills).

autoattack question

in Warrior

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Camping GS is barely the best though. It’s only optimal if you’re able to maintain your rotation. If you aren’t for whatever reason, then it’s actually faster to swap to axe. Think of a situation in which you aren’t able to take advantage to whirlwind/rush. In this case, being on 6/5/0/0/3 and swapping to axe/x would be faster than just doing GS autoattacks in between 100b cd. Whirlwind is crucial in order for camping GS to be worthwhile.

autoattack question

in Warrior

maxinion.8396

Camping GS is barely the best though. It’s only optimal if you’re able to maintain your rotation. If you aren’t for whatever reason, then it’s actually faster to swap to axe. Think of a situation in which you aren’t able to take advantage to whirlwind/rush. In this case, being on 6/5/0/0/3 and swapping to axe/x would be faster than just doing GS autoattacks in between 100b cd. Whirlwind is crucial in order for camping GS to be worthwhile.

Sure, if there are environmental concerns that keep you from using 3/5, or mobs you want to not aggro, etc., then GS camping is not worth it. But the optimal DPS on axe requires you to keep the auto-attack chain completed and using the 2/4 skills on cool-down properly, so it’s not completely trivial either. The difference between the old 6/5 fast hands and new 6/6 gs camp is very small— but it is flat out wrong to say “never camp GS” these days, as there are many situations where that is actually super viable and even marginally optimal.

autoattack question

in Warrior

Posted by: ShakeyStorm.7180

ShakeyStorm.7180

Guys, camping is so outdated now. Switch between Axe and GS to maximize Might and Adrenaline. Spam Axe 1 while waiting for GS 3,4,5.

autoattack question

in Warrior

maxinion.8396

Guys, camping is so outdated now. Switch between Axe and GS to maximize Might and Adrenaline. Spam Axe 1 while waiting for GS 3,4,5.

did you even read the thread linked above

autoattack question

in Warrior

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

GS is better when:
- You do not have 25 might stacks from the party.
- You do not need to kite or dodge (can get full uninterrupted HB on cooldown)
- You can push the target up against a wall for WWA, or the target is big enough to get hit by all WWA hits without walling

Axe will do exactly as much as a non-interrupted HB/non-walled WWA rotation GS with equal might stacks. If you don’t meet any of those requirements, axe is generally better since the DPS is just more stable.

autoattack question

in Warrior

intently.4502

Great info, thank you everyone!

I’m really enjoying Axe/WH. The WH skills are great for pve mobility (WH4) and easily dominating overleveled mobs (WH5).

Axe1 does so much damage that I don’t really feel like I’m missing out on DPS by having a utility offhand weapon. Is there a strong offhand DPS item I should pair with my axe though? I could go Axe/WH + Axe/X, but what’s the best X?

(Also note that my warrior is level 17 now, so no traits yet.)

autoattack question

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Most people go axe/mace since the extra vuln and knockdown are net DPS gains.

autoattack question

in Warrior

intently.4502

For open world roaming though, what do people do for swiftness?

autoattack question

in Warrior

maxinion.8396

Sword/warhorn (for leap on sword 2 and swiftness on wh 4)

autoattack question

in Warrior

intently.4502

So Sword/WH + GS? No axe? Isn’t that a big DPS loss?

autoattack question

in Warrior

maxinion.8396

So Sword/WH + GS? No axe? Isn’t that a big DPS loss?

DPS is “camp greatsword.” Swapping out of GS is a dps loss (this depends on the exact situation and the exact build, but it is often true).

autoattack question

in Warrior

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Staying in GS is better for pugging/soloing because of the might Forceful Greatsword gives.

autoattack question

in Warrior

intently.4502

Ah, thanks. I just hit level 32 with my warrior, and it looks like Deep Strike and Forceful Greatsword will be my first goals.

It appears that the Axe traits are pretty weak, considering that Berserker’s Power gives a huge DPS bonus that penalizes using your adrenaline.