how viable is main hand Axe in PVE

in Warrior

Posted by: arain.5973

arain.5973

im kinda new to this games. played all profession around +50lv but end up came to warrior again. was play GS warrior with signet build, but seems kinda slow for me and axe suit me better for auto attack and burst.
well question is how viable is mh axe vs GS in orr DE stuff for dps

for axe build 20/0/0/30/20
for GS build 20/20/0/30/0

i really want to put alot of vit and shout heal, but just simple dps in orr DE for tagging mops and stuff which weapon better? or is Axe ok to play fine in PVE and dungeon ?

in Warrior

Posted by: Hevy.5074

Hevy.5074

Judging from those two trait build, the GS will obviously do much more damage and tag mobs easier. To be honest, neither weapon is what I usually use for tagging mobs while following the zerg, longbow gives me much better results for that.

Axes are perfectly viable though, I’m a big fan of doing a crit based axe build similar to most GS builds. I leveled up to about level 50 with dual axes, then switched to axe/horn after that.

in Warrior

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Axe is probably the best pve weapon. I agree with you 100% that GS is slow despite all its mobility. Odd how that works.

If you want to mind numb your game play:
power: 20, 12%dmg adren bar, 10%crit dmg axe
precision: 10, +40precsion/signet
defense: 20, block reflects, -20% recharge shield
crit dmg: 20, 9% crit chance adren bar, melee run faster
(k if you want glass cannon you could take the 20 points from defense and dump into precision and just orr farming its viable and certainly true if you are not using shield at all)
axe/ ok i use shield because i do more then just orr farm trash mobs and i hate retraiting so if you are just looking for orr trash mobs and tagging at events certainly go with axe so you can whirlwind on spawns and tag them all. for sigils take a perception (25 stacks = ~12% crit chance, more benefitial with such a high crit dmg) and personally i would say blood ( ~400 life steal on crit, veryfast CD of 2sec).
full beserkers ofcoarse with ruby orbs on armor.
dont worry bout utility, take healing signet, precision one, power one, optional one, signet of rage.

in Warrior

Justine.6351

Judging from those two trait build, the GS will obviously do much more damage and tag mobs easier. To be honest, neither weapon is what I usually use for tagging mobs while following the zerg, longbow gives me much better results for that.

GS is terrible for tagging and its main dmg which is comparable to axes auto (sadly) is a 3-4 sec immobilize. Although i would have to agree on the longbow in mobile DE fights. For someone who leveled up with duel axes im surprised you forgot how awesome whirling skill on axe was for aoe tagging.

in Warrior

Posted by: Hevy.5074

Hevy.5074

Whirling axe is indeed great, but he didn’t say he was using axe offhand, only main hand.

His GS build seems built for more dps, so each hit will do more damage. Since mobs die so ridiculously fast in zergs, fewer harder hits are preferred over the axes multiple slightly weaker auto attack hits. But yeah, as I said neither weapon would be my choice.

in Warrior

Posted by: GutterFace.1678

GutterFace.1678

axe is far superior to gs.

i run 30/30/0/0/5 and have about 20k hp for orr. you wont need anything the gs could possibley provide from mobility cause you will MELT anything infront of you.

i quit using gs at about lvl 50 due to how terrible the and slow the dmg was. and i use a shield on my other hand. dont run dual axe, whirling lame is a terrible tagging skill, trust me i tried it. axe 1 running with the mobs is faster, and nets far more drops.

in Warrior

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

GS is fine for tagging. It’s better than the bow when you need to move through enemies quickly before other people kill them. The bow is too slow to tag sometimes. GS does the most damage of all the Warrior weapons, and since our weapons are for the most part devoid of much utility, you’ll be using it a lot as a result. I mainly only use Axe when HB isn’t much of an option. Then I’ll usually go axe-axe so I can move through enemies fairly easily.

So, it’s “viable,” yeah. In the sense that it’s like a slightly worse greatsword with better combat mobility. GS freezes your character with most of its moves, after all. I usually run bow + GS, axe/axe when I’m doing something like killing burrows.

in Warrior

Posted by: GutterFace.1678

GutterFace.1678

how is axe a slightly worse gs, when in fact, an axe is better?

in Warrior

Justine.6351

ive tried so many times to like GS….oh so many…i want twilight ;-(

truth is axe does same dmg and im not anchored in place swinging at air because the foe twitched and moved out of aoe cone. and if i find myself getting beat on by too much because i got over zealous i just shield block.

dont believe me on the dmg part? go test it out on spvp golems. you will literally kill a golem in the same second of time with axes auto attack vs GS 100b

in Warrior

Posted by: Bish.8627

Bish.8627

I am a big fan of axes now, never liked them leveling, either went Gs or dual swords for condition damage. Since 80 I have played condition damage with a ton of toughness and some vitality. Recently I wanted a change, more tankish for dungeons, so I tried axe in my main hand with a sheild while still in my condition damage gear and spec. Needless to say I soon changed all my gear to power/tough/vit and accessories to add some crit.

The damage I output while still being able to main tank any exporable (within the good group I run with at least) is great. Though take nothing away from mace, it also has its place. So in my opinion, it is extremely viable.

in Warrior

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Axe is great for PvE, and probably the best overall PvE weapon in main hand.

It has the best auto attack of all the weapons imo; fast, and high direct damage with no frills attached. You can throw whatever you want into your off-hand depending on what you need at the moment, and lose no efficacy since the strongest axe skill is the auto attack. (i carry a 2nd axe, warhorn, mace, and shield for various situations) Its less gimmicky than other melee weapons (swords – bleeds, mace/hammer – cc, gs – mobility) and you can fill your offhand with the extra things you want, while maintaining great dps in your mainhand auto attack.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

in Warrior

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Anything is simply viable in PvE. You are forced to do high level dungeons with a group therefore as long as you have a group ANYTHING is viable. Just me being indifferent with Axe but I don’t think most specs should be a liability in PvE.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?