is anyone else tired of using the Greatsword?

in Warrior

Posted by: Pyrophobia.6592

Pyrophobia.6592

Don’t get me wrong, the Greatsword is pretty much the best. It has the best damage, the best skins, the best mobility, the best traits, it simply just does everything. But lately, every time I equip it I get so bored with it. When I first started it felt so awesome, but now it just feels like a shackle. I’ve honestly been having more fun using builds that don’t use the Greatsword at all, but I feel that for a lot of occasions the Greatsword is a requirement. I miss the days when warhorn/ hambow builds were a thing, and the Greatsword was less coveted. Does anyone else feel the same?

(I’m sorry if this comes off as a rant, but this has just been something that’s been weighing on me for a long time.)

in Warrior

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

Think it has more to do with most other weapons being subpar.

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

in Warrior

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

Definitely true.

PvE you basically just need damage.
WvW/PvP you either need reliable control or high mobility, plus damage.
Any utility is also a huge plus.

Greatsword really is Great all around. High damage, high mobility, and an evade.

Axe/sh is great for dueling; Reliable control, high damage.

Longbow is decent, Decent ranged damage, and minor control (blind/immob)

Hammer is just meh. Damage is poor, while control is mediocre because its so unreliable (easily avoided)

Sword/Wh is just mobility and support. Damage is poor.

Mace/Sh is okay but gimmicky and lacks any mobility, and lacks damage on its own but sets up for damage pretty decently.

And rifle is only really good as a gimmicky zerker Killshot/Gunflame into WvW crowds for the lulz.

A big part of the problem is the existence of Traits for these weapons. Greatsword trait is extremely accessible in the Master Strength line, while Axe competes with zerker power in grandmaster, Hammer competes with Burst mastery in grandmaster, Sword and Bow are in lousy trait trees, etc

I think ALL weapon traits should be removed, some effects rolled in baseline, and replaced.

in Warrior

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

As of right now, Greatsword is pretty much a must-have in any type of offensive non-condition builds.

My advice would be to try out stuff like Condition PS in PvE, Macebow in sPvP or Mace/Shield+Sword/Torch in WvW depending on what you play. They can be fresh and interesting but also make you appreciate the strengths of GS when you go back to it eventually.
Though, considering how so many players have an outright dislike for anything that involves conditions – not sure if that would be an option for you.

We certainly do need some weapon rebalancing. The other weapons should be brought up to equal Greatsword in their own unique ways. Some of the weapons feel like leftovers from an ancient time and place with laughably weak skills when you compare them to many of the new HoT additions.

in Warrior

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I will not get tired of greatsword, but i am tired of seeing greatsword every where…

I wish to see other weapon got buff and more weapon diversity can be seen.

I will say again, i will not get tired of greatsword….

in Warrior

Posted by: Mithrilos.8036

Mithrilos.8036

Definitely true.

PvE you basically just need damage.
WvW/PvP you either need reliable control or high mobility, plus damage.
Any utility is also a huge plus.

Greatsword really is Great all around. High damage, high mobility, and an evade.

Axe/sh is great for dueling; Reliable control, high damage.

Longbow is decent, Decent ranged damage, and minor control (blind/immob)

Hammer is just meh. Damage is poor, while control is mediocre because its so unreliable (easily avoided)

Sword/Wh is just mobility and support. Damage is poor.

Mace/Sh is okay but gimmicky and lacks any mobility, and lacks damage on its own but sets up for damage pretty decently.

And rifle is only really good as a gimmicky zerker Killshot/Gunflame into WvW crowds for the lulz.

A big part of the problem is the existence of Traits for these weapons. Greatsword trait is extremely accessible in the Master Strength line, while Axe competes with zerker power in grandmaster, Hammer competes with Burst mastery in grandmaster, Sword and Bow are in lousy trait trees, etc

I think ALL weapon traits should be removed, some effects rolled in baseline, and replaced.

I dont agree with the rifle part, i’m doing more that a decent job with my zerker-rifle
in pve it actually help a lot others when they can’t reach mobs in melee

the rifle is so underated, it makes me sad ( not only because its my main weapon…)

But to the op : i use sword/shield – Longbow with shouts and rabbid stuff, but i think i’m a minority ^-^ so no greatsword for me.

Mithrilos Wildwill[SNIP] – You know that Charr sniper from Vizunah…

in Warrior

Posted by: Dindi.9682

Dindi.9682

Don’t get me wrong, the Greatsword is pretty much the best. It has the best damage, the best skins, the best mobility, the best traits, it simply just does everything. But lately, every time I equip it I get so bored with it. When I first started it felt so awesome, but now it just feels like a shackle. I’ve honestly been having more fun using builds that don’t use the Greatsword at all, but I feel that for a lot of occasions the Greatsword is a requirement. I miss the days when warhorn/ hambow builds were a thing, and the Greatsword was less coveted. Does anyone else feel the same?

(I’m sorry if this comes off as a rant, but this has just been something that’s been weighing on me for a long time.)

I personally find the greatsword to be the most beautiful of any weapon, but now that aesthetics are aside, its one of the strongest weapons in the game. With the addition of your burst ability in berserker form, you can literally wipe out 1000 enemies, rofl.

in Warrior

Posted by: XerMeLL.6042

XerMeLL.6042

There is no way i could be tired because all my wealth was spent for my Twilight

This is the last MMORPG ill play.

in Warrior

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I really want ANet to buff Axe/Axe.

I really want to be a berserker that wrecks people.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Warrior

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

considering that you can get 52% damage increase with the greatsword burst skills, yeah its probably the best weapon in general. lol

in Warrior

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

I would think, though, that the greatsword isn’t a good weapon if you play berserker. Berserker is a condition build.

in Warrior

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

I’m probably in the minority here but I’d like a buff to maces. They’re my personal favorite weapon in the Warrior’s kitten nal but they don’t seem to have a place. Of course you’re going to have the trade off in power for CC capability but even that is average compared to other professions.

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

I would think, though, that the greatsword isn’t a good weapon if you play berserker. Berserker is a condition build.

HAHAHA! you need to look over the berserker trait line again my friend. Berserker definitely had condition damage build into it. but it also has direct damage comparable to strength. Also, have you just not seen Arc Divider?

I’m probably in the minority here but I’d like a buff to maces. They’re my personal favorite weapon in the Warrior’s kitten nal but they don’t seem to have a place. Of course you’re going to have the trade off in power for CC capability but even that is average compared to other professions.

with the exception of skull grinder, i agree with you. The mace is very sub-par as far as weapons go. Skull Grinder is ridiculous though.

(edited by emkelly.2371)

in Warrior

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

HAHAHA! you need to look over the berserker trait line again my friend. Berserker definitely had condition damage build into it. but it also has direct damage comparable to strength. Also, have you just not seen Arc Divider?

Well, it won’t hurt me to give it a try to see for myself. So far, I have been using Sword/Torch. Although I can’t help wondering what the point is to being berserker but not have the torch. Perhaps use Sword/Torch as a secondary weapon set?

in Warrior

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

Well, it won’t hurt me to give it a try to see for myself. So far, I have been using Sword/Torch. Although I can’t help wondering what the point is to being berserker but not have the torch. Perhaps use Sword/Torch as a secondary weapon set?

Using an elite spec absolutely does not require using that spec’s unique weapon. As far as traits go, both the top and bottom rows of the zerker traitline can be useful for power builds. Have a look!

I do have to disagree with the gs/sword torch idea though. GS is purely a power weapon, while sword is hybrid and torch is heavily invested in conditions. They likely won’t mesh that well together, but if you want to try anyway feel free to have at it.

in Warrior

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

I got burned out on the GS a while back. I use Axe/Axe and rifle on my Warrior. Axe/Axe seems to kill mobs faster than a GS and the Rifle is sweet for Elite bosses who have endless deathpool AoEs.

I tried Berserker and wasn’t too impressed. I like my Adreniline Warrior better.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

in Warrior

emkelly.2371

Axe/axe is really good in PVE

in Warrior

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I feel the same about Hammer. For both mace and hammer, the weapon traits just don’t mesh with the slow, easily-dodged, moderate damage those weapons have.

But Greatsword gets easy-mode Might, pairs extremely well with Phalanx Strength, and it gets a generic damage boost in its weapon trait. I can appreciate the synergy, but tacking on a flat damage bonus is lazy design on something that already gets such a huge benefit. It all makes GS best in slot, and that’s fairly irritating.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Warrior

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I haven’t bothered with GS yet… I decided to become competent in all the other weaps first…. but GS is coming up soon.

~EW

in Warrior

Rauderi.8706

I haven’t bothered with GS yet… I decided to become competent in all the other weaps first…. but GS is coming up soon.

~EW

I’ll admit, GS does have the damage behind it, and it gives up any real sense of utility to do it. Mace/hammer are solid for defiance breaking, warhorn for buffs and traited condi removal. GS has the Might-stacking, but that combo really ought to be shifted more toward Phalanx Strength to do might on crit so other weapons can do it as well.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Warrior

Posted by: Pyrophobia.6592

Pyrophobia.6592

Thanks for the input guys. I hear what a lot of you are saying and I agree. i feel like the Greatsword is just a weapon I’m going to have to deal with, regardless if I like it or not. I just wish some of the other weapons were on its level. I remember when warhorns could convert conditions into boons and you could pretty much have permanent swiftness. I would love to have that back in the game.

I’m getting nostalgic again…

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you.

in Warrior

Posted by: Stigi.9357

Stigi.9357

in Warrior

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Axe+Shield is my replacement for GS.

in Warrior

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I love the greatsword. Style, skills, it has it all. I wouldn’t mind other weapons getting some fixes, so I can change up my swaps more often though.

in Warrior

Posted by: Tarreth.8914

Tarreth.8914

I play GS + A/A.
I pop my combo on gs then switch to axe for more combo. Berserk ending? Back to GS for last hundred blades and repeat.

“We fight to live and we live to fight”

in Warrior

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Yes and no. For me, it’s basically the requirement to take Defense and a similar feeling with Discipline except that it can be managed to go without if you build very carefully.

I like Warrior but it’s my 3rd favorite because of how limited I feel with builds thanks to how mandatory two of it’s trait lines are. I try to think up new builds (speaking from a WvW perspective) but I can never put something together that’s not using at least one or the other. I’ve tried running Strength, Discipline, Berserker, which is still using one of the two… And I’m simply too vulnerable without Defense. I’ve tried running a condition set up with Arms, Tactics, Berserker but again, too vulnerable and Tactics is pretty much garbage.

I see where you’re coming from with greatsword but it doesn’t bother me that it’s such a great weapon. It’s the trait lines that bother me because it seems like no matter what armor/runes/utilities I’m using, my traits are still going to be basically the same. Defense is straight up too good and Discipline has just a couple traits that make the entire line too good.

I’ve got a similar problem with Necromancer in needing to always take Soul Reaping. At least with Ranger, I’ve got the freedom to use what ever because none of the trees are mandatory. I feel like I’m a bit more vulnerable without Wilderness Survival and I feel like I’m losing my class mechanic by not taking Beastmastery but any of it can be compensated for if I pick the right utilities.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Warrior

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I myself am starting to grow quite fond of Axe/Mace. Off hand mace is not too popular but with high quickness up time I like the knockdown and the Vuln stacking when using axe 2 and mace 4. (14 stacks).

The knockdown off 5 has issues of course but it sure works nicely to set up a burst or finish someone fleeing.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

I could watch the animations arc divider and 100 blades a lot more before I got bored.

in Warrior

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Not tired of GS – Loved GS on release and I love it now.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Warrior

Posted by: RIEen.9473

RIEen.9473

I only main warrior in pvp and fractals. I use gs in fractals for the damage and it’s BORING. I’m sick of the 1000 blades animation on my sunrise. But gs is useless in pvp and the pvp meta uses mace, so why are people asking for more on mace? Personally for pve I do sw/sh and lb. the damage between sword and mace are comparable but I prefer having the gap close over the extra block, plus my button mashing results in slightly more damage with sw.

in Warrior

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Hundred blades never gets old.

What I don’t understand is that axe/axe still has worse dps than GS. I mean yeah you could say a GS to your face hurts more than an axe but in this case axe was designed for damage and high risk/reward gameplay, except that the reward is beyond awful.

Autoattack needs a dmg increase, 2 and 4 need a complete redesign and whirling axe needs some extra utility to it, for example a 240 radius pull that cripples enemies and allows you to get some damage in. I mean how else are you gonna hit someone with #5? Not in a million years.

I really want dual axe to work but it’s so incredibly lackluster, axes in general in this game.

Edit: One thing that I forgot to mention is that Axe Mastery needs to be moved down to master tier so we can use it with berserker’s power.

(edited by Kraljevo.2801)

in Warrior

Posted by: Stigi.9357

Stigi.9357

After little modication with my build i found that power warrior is viable atm and with good support can rock in pvp
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5enMdAlkidhAWhAElilqADpA0ACAvj2U7sVpHE7yBA-TZBCQBBZ/BAcQAYwTAohlBgwFAAA

Attachments:

(edited by Stigi.9357)

in Warrior

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

After little modication with my build i found that power warrior is viable atm and with good support can rock in pvp
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5enMdAlkidhAWhAElilqADpA0ACAvj2U7sVpHE7yBA-TZBCQBBZ/BAcQAYwTAohlBgwFAAA

Wtf does this have to do with the OP?

in Warrior

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

As a warrior main I hate the greatsword lol, especially in pvp. People praise it for being good, and in PVE and duels to a certain extent maybe, but greatsword is a toxic weapon.

Everytime the greatsword becomes the most relevant weapon, warriors are often outclassed. Greatsword builds generally aren’t stable, very telepgraphed attacks. Out of the 4 years ive been playing this game, there was one little instance where the greatsword was good, and even then it was outclassed by axebow war. Last year we had a brief rampage gs meta, but were only good because of rampage. Once rampage was nerfed, greatsword could not hold its own.

in Warrior

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

After maining Revenant since HoT, I’ve finally come back to Warrior and I have to say, greatsword feels like an old friend. Everything about it is great. The animations are excellent (I’ll never get tired of seeing my Asura flip around in 100 Blades), it has great damage, every skill is actually useful, and it has excellent mobility.

PvP is a different story, but I haven’t touched that mode for a couple seasons now.

in Warrior

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Short answer, No.
Long answer, it feels like an extension of my arm at this point and everything is so comfortable. I have a feel for the cooldowns and the travel distances.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in Warrior

Rauderi.8706

Thanks for the input guys. I hear what a lot of you are saying and I agree. i feel like the Greatsword is just a weapon I’m going to have to deal with, regardless if I like it or not. I just wish some of the other weapons were on its level. I remember when warhorns could convert conditions into boons and you could pretty much have permanent swiftness. I would love to have that back in the game.

I’m getting nostalgic again…

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you.

Warhorn isn’t in a terrible spot. Extra condi clear (now 2 instead of 1), but the loss of Tactics boon duration buffs is an insult to the class. :\ I got my near-permaswiftness back by clawing into Commander gear (where other classes get 10-20% for free…), so I don’t feel too bad off.

Not sure about wvw/pvp viability with warhorn, but it’s still decent in PvE group play. With the recent axe damage buff, it makes an axe/horn support warrior still do decent damage. Ish.

Many alts; handle it!