need tips on fighting meditation guardian

in Warrior

Posted by: Heng Rai.4826

Heng Rai.4826

Hi guys correct me if I am wrong cos I don’t personally play guardian. But I believe this is the guardian build that has tons of block invulnerable and God knows what to prevent taking damage from anyone (or maybe just me). So question is how do I know when to start my attack? I just hate to see all my burst hit air all the time. I run hammer and gs with zerker gear. Oh and I forgot they heal tons to themselves and “teleport” to land their strikes at you. Isn’t that OP? Anyhow Thanks in advance.

in Warrior

Heng Rai.4826

May I also ask for a good skill rotation or combo with my current weapon set please?

in Warrior

Posted by: Eiland.1405

Eiland.1405

Yeah that build was strong pre patch, spaciously vs squishes but also strong against warrior, although hambow/axebow should’ve won the fight.
Now they got buffed and we got nerffed so…
Anyhow you won’t win with just brute force, hambow or axebow was winning the fight mostly coz of the condi dmg. The med guard got some cleanses but not enough.
So a full condi rabid is like the direct counter, but if you wan’t a real build then mayb try going hybrid.

Oh and best advice I can give is: take ‘Sigil of generosity’
They do some blinds, immob and vulnerability but the longest and (most dmg ofcourse) is the burning, so good chances this is the condi you will send back to them.
So less burn on you, more on them

Dry Leaves

in Warrior

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

The trick to med guard imo is that they can delay a lot of damage, but they don’t have true sustain. Focus on dodging their big animations, staying out of symbols, and let them use up their cooldowns. You should be able to outlast them if you play conservatively.

Anticipate that they’ll start their rotation with a couple blocks, and that they’ll use the shelter heal when they get low. Here’s a link to a standard build so you can see what you’re up against: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Meditation_DPS

in Warrior

Posted by: Eiland.1405

Eiland.1405

One more thing – ‘signet of might’
Save it for when they put that focus shiled up and just start your favourite hammer combo, they won’t even dodge.
Or even just stand and 100b, don’t worry they will teleport to u

Dry Leaves

in Warrior

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

If both players are equally skilled a warrior will never be able to beat a guardian using scepter/focus+GS. Doesn’t matter what build or weapon setup the warrior uses.

Don’t bother. In fact, I’m pretty sure my friend can beat any warrior using just his scepter/focus. It’s pretty sad.

Guardians have a lot of blinds, aegis, blocks, an invuln, teleports, boons, protection, and crazy amounts of damage. A warrior just cannot deal with it.

(edited by EvilSardine.9635)

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

If both players are equally skilled a warrior will never be able to beat a guardian using scepter/focus+GS. Doesn’t matter what build or weapon setup the warrior uses.

Don’t bother. In fact, I’m pretty sure my friend can beat any warrior using just his scepter/focus. It’s pretty sad.

Guardians have a lot of blinds, aegis, blocks, an invuln, teleports, boons, protection, and crazy amounts of damage. A warrior just cannot deal with it.

Reflect.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Reflect.

lol wut? Reflect the scepter auto using your shield stance for a whopping total of 3 seconds on a 30 second cool down? Oh man, that sure as hell turned that battle!

Guardian sees you reflect, drops the scepter’s smite on you. The most powerful single skill in the game if the whole thing hits you. This skill has a 6 second cool down. He can cast it at his feet while you try to melee him.

Warriors are trash and fights against Guardians are a lost cause.

in Warrior

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

That Scepter doe, nevermind that you can walk side to side and make over half the projectiles miss. scepter too broken! Smite does nothing if the person doesn’t sand in it. One Invulnerability through Renewed Focus I don’t call that a lot of Invulnerability access..

Also please list what skills a mediguard has that gives them lots of protection and other boons? Because the only way a guard will have access to protection is to run a shout, or slot 1 in Virtues for a VoC active to give 5-6s protection on a 80-90s CD

@OP My suggestion for you is to use Signet of might over something like Signet of Dolyak since Guards have nonexistent CC aside from Binding Blade if they roll GS. You will render Shelter(30s CD) and Shield of Wrath (45s CD) Null. I run GS Axe/Shield and it does help quite a bit when it’s 1v1. Without blocks Mediguard is pretty squishy.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Warrior

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

A Medi Guard is exactly like a Warrior. You just wait out their big hits and then make them pay for missing it.

in Warrior

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

That Scepter doe, nevermind that you can walk side to side and make over half the projectiles miss. scepter too broken! Smite does nothing if the person doesn’t sand in it. One Invulnerability through Renewed Focus I don’t call that a lot of Invulnerability access..

Also please list what skills a mediguard has that gives them lots of protection and other boons? Because the only way a guard will have access to protection is to run a shout, or slot 1 in Virtues for a VoC active to give 5-6s protection on a 80-90s CD

@OP My suggestion for you is to use Signet of might over something like Signet of Dolyak since Guards have nonexistent CC aside from Binding Blade if they roll GS. You will render Shelter(30s CD) and Shield of Wrath (45s CD) Null. I run GS Axe/Shield and it does help quite a bit when it’s 1v1. Without blocks Mediguard is pretty squishy.

Thing is, no meta war build can win meta med guard with the same skill.
sure you can slot signet of might and build for counter, but signet of might is pretty useless for other situations unless you want to 1v1 med guard all day long.

in Warrior

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Signet of might, knock him on his butt and laugh as you run away from him, I guess.

in Warrior

Lucentfir.7430

sure you can slot signet of might and build for counter, but signet of might is pretty useless for other situations unless you want to 1v1 med guard all day long.

A number of situations SoM is useful, you can’t say it’s just for guard and it’s useless everywhere else. It’s good vs things like other warriors packing shield, Engineers Toolbelt shield, and things that would otherwise absorb projectiles.

As for the rest I don’t know what you’re poking at then with the meta speak, if this is for conquest mode for capping, it should be noted that you bring a friend, if it’s too much for you to 1v1. Just like how you have to fight a engineer you can’t kick off the point alone. If it’s mainly duels I see no reason why you can’t swap out Doly Signet.

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in Warrior

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

A number of situations SoM is useful, you can’t say it’s just for guard and it’s useless everywhere else. It’s good vs things like other warriors packing shield, Engineers Toolbelt shield, and things that would otherwise absorb projectiles.

As for the rest I don’t know what you’re poking at then with the meta speak, if this is for conquest mode for capping, it should be noted that you bring a friend, if it’s too much for you to 1v1. Just like how you have to fight a engineer you can’t kick off the point alone. If it’s mainly duels I see no reason why you can’t swap out Doly Signet.

A number of situation, only a number, 3 stances will always be better for most situations, or else you will die fairly quick against any decent team, i imagine you play soloq or hotjoin w/e. And you are using a longbow, not rifle, using an utility just for a few fire arrow during a small phase of projectil reflect is dumb, you can always just cast 3 for better damage and no need signet.

im not talking about all the situation bs, all im saying is that the best war build for now can not beat med guard, that is it, if you want to argue, argue on point, we all know that if you cant beat some one don’t go alone, that applies to everything and we are not talking about this here, so stop.

If you really want to act all “pro” and talk situation stuff (which we are not talking about, but simple build against build) Some times we have to go 1v1 a guy even tho we have a really low chance of winning, if you want to win the kitten match. k thx bye.

(edited by Simon.3794)

in Warrior

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

I don’t generally have problems with meditation guards. I like using mace/mace GS. Bait out all their attacks and cooldowns. Then go in for the kill. Pretty simple really.

in Warrior

Lucentfir.7430

A number of situation, only a number, 3 stances will always be better for most situations, or else you will die fairly quick against any decent team, i imagine you play soloq or hotjoin w/e. And you are using a longbow, not rifle, using an utility just for a few fire arrow during a small phase of projectil reflect is dumb, you can always just cast 3 for better damage and no need signet.

im not talking about all the situation bs, all im saying is that the best war build for now can not beat med guard, that is it, if you want to argue, argue on point, we all know that if you cant beat some one don’t go alone, that applies to everything and we are not talking about this here, so stop.

If you really want to act all “pro” and talk situation stuff (which we are not talking about, but simple build against build) Some times we have to go 1v1 a guy even tho we have a really low chance of winning, if you want to win the kitten match. k thx bye.

Here’s the thing, we don’t know if the OP is talking about Tpvp/Conquest, or Dueling roaming, and from the sounds of it, he’s talking about WvW most likely (He said Zerker Gear). My post was in regards to dueling or roaming 1v1s, I could careless about Tpvp just by the fact those 1v1 turn one sided real fast most of the time, In which case you won’t even need SoM, you go in stall point cap, or if he has capped it already there’s nothing keeping you on point with him.

The roaming side of things and dueling, i can beat a medi guard with my warrior because i have knowledge of how Medi guard works, a dueling/roaming build, and by switching out to SoM I make things a lot more easier for myself by bypassing block at crucial moments he’ll need to use shelter/aegis/SoW. So honestly speaking though Hambow isn’t a dueling build, Meditation Guard is a dueling build.

in Warrior

Heng Rai.4826

Thanks guys. I have run some tests and I find signet of might is very situational but it works when activated at the right time. But unfortunately I have to run gs and lb instead of hammer . I don’t know if that’s why I have been having some success. just would like to share with you all.

in Warrior

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

To beat a medi guardian, you really need to know how it works. It’s like most match ups, the more information you have the better prepared you are to deal with it. As medi guardian is my main, I’ll point out a couple things.

First off, identify the weapons they’re using.

Greatsword: Leap of faith (blind)
Sword: Flashing Blade (blind) Zealot’s Defense (reflect)
Focus: Ray of Judgement (blind) Shield of Wrath (3 blocks)
Mace: Protector’s Strike (single block)

Each are in themselves easy enough to spot and deal with. SoW is mostly used for dps, some guards will dodge instead of block to get the burst off. Use an AA to break through the blinds and blocks, don’t burn your cooldowns.

From there, 1 into radiance will give the guardian Justice is Blind. It’s on a 23-30s cooldown, so it’s going to be used for either highly telegraphed skills or to secure a stomp. There’s also Virtue of Courage which grants aegis, also used in a similar manner to VoJ.

Shelter in itself is probably the most troublesome block. It’s the only duration block on guardian, and if you keep unloading into it you will just give them might.

Just don’t let a medi guard choose his pace. If the fight is opened with a Judge’s Intervention burst, it only leaves one stun breaker that’s tied into condition cleanse. Apply the CC and immob, deal your damage and then kite them while waiting for cooldowns. A warrior should have no problem keeping up perma swiftness while crippling the medi guardian that has zero access to swiftness or 25% movement speed outside of runes.

in Warrior

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I run 6/2/0/0/6 rifle/gs.
Bulls, bolas, som.

Just use gs to get them low. When they use shelter swap rifle, hit f1+som, laugh.

Works most of the time for me!

Just another noob thief…