ranged warriors viable?

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Krakenvon.1389

Krakenvon.1389

This question is based on dungeons.

—Tangent… As of now, I do not have a character high enough lvl to do a dungeon so I will be going in blind as it is. “I did my fair share of dungeons in wow but everyone looked at recount and damage dealt was the only thing that mattered to 80% of the players, sad but true. However it seems that gw2 goes beyond the numbers and being an active support is just as important” end of tangent….

The basic question is, are warriors still viable with a rifle/longbow setup? I have read about how well they can be as a secondary weapen to add range, and a interupt/knockback, however I am finding it hard to find information on them as being used in conjunction with each other.

I am almost a lvl 20 and have been running this setup since about lvl 10. and plan to keep running it for solo play. However, when I start in dungeons I do not want to pull the group down nor be “carried”. I’ve been having a blast with this setup and hope theres a build out there that will compliment it in a dungeon setting.

thanks

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Preacher.9526

Preacher.9526

I have only ran into one primary ranged warrior and he was flamed endlessly throughout the run. I do use a rifle/longbow as a secondary depending on what I am doing but its more for when I need to back out and heal so I can maintain dps at a safe distance or for siege situations where its really my only option.

Most will spec into 2 melee weapon sets and carry both a longbow and rifle in their bags

Blackgate – Bjorn Ironside

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Tyloric.7520

Tyloric.7520

My main set is Greatsword/Longbow. I personally adore the longbow.

I can’t say I’ve ever primarily run just ranged, though. That seems a bit counter productive. Warriors are tough and can take a beating, so I think primarily their spot should be upfront. I use my bow when I hit about 25% health. It’s good to be able to dodge roll back and immediately have a ranged attack at the ready.

I prefer bow over rifle because of the bow has AoE attacks, a blind, an immobilize, and the only combo starter on the warrior (the burst skill).

Casteless Wind [Guild Wars 2]
The Secksy Monk [Guild Wars 1]
Stormbluff Isle – Storm Slayer Dragons [SDS]

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Beefcake.9032

Beefcake.9032

I’ve been running ranged because that’s my WvW build and I won’t respec for my daily AC runs. AC is prolly the easiest dungeon and I recon I have it down quite well by now. I too get questioned for being a Warrior with Ranged primary, however I’m sure that I run a high DPS so I don’t see why that should matter…

Wrainbash, Asura Warrior of Kodasch Allianz [KoA]
Du spielst auf Kodasch? Besuche doch mal die Kodasch Community Webseite! :)

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

Range is far inferior to melee in damage comparison, no matter how you attempt to twist or turn it. For most dungeons, tough, it usually won’t be a problem, but if you get on higher level fractals you will even be booted for running rifle/longbow.

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Echo.2087

Echo.2087

Ranged is viable, but it should never be your primary focus. There are many encounters in the game that are far simpler to fight from range, so IMO every warrior should have a longbow or rifle in secondary weapon slot, with few exceptions.

Personally use longbow. Used rifle in the past, but I think the versatility of longbow wins out. I love that AOE from burst and #3.

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

Rifle spec is my favourite in PvP. It’s a great cc/harassment weapon when traited properly. I’d like to see damage buffed a bit though. Right now, the auto-attack hardly does any damage. I would rather see the bleed removed and have it replaced with higher direct damage (since warrior condition specs aren’t viable anyway). Volley should also pack some more punch.

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Beefcake.9032

Beefcake.9032

Range is far inferior to melee in damage comparison, no matter how you attempt to twist or turn it

dquaf? Aside from the fact that I can’t AoE trashmobs as well as say GS or Axe, with a rifle my damage-output is hard to match. I’m not spending much time dodging or running after the boss in order to hit him, I can easily kite and continue to attack, constantly firing on the boss means I have a high DPS. Range also enables me to wear more berserker gear than if I was melee.

I’m sure gc rifle isn’t well suited to high-level Fractals and some dungeons, however not because damage is too low but rather because of lack of AoE & group utility.

Wrainbash, Asura Warrior of Kodasch Allianz [KoA]
Du spielst auf Kodasch? Besuche doch mal die Kodasch Community Webseite! :)

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

All melee weapons are designed that way. They do more damage, especially with proper traits. You can do the same kiting with a melee weapon because your range is almost always larger than the target. I’m not saying rifle sucks, on the contrary, it is a great weapon. But again, melee is always stronger (on every class).

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Not true, Im betting I do more damage than most melee people do with my rifle/longbow build. I can put out twice as much damage as a 100b warrior with rifle, switch to longbow for its 400 damage burn ticks and 8k #3 bomb, switch back and rifle burst for another 30k damage. People saying ranged warriors such just havent ran into good ones yet. The only thing melee has going for it is its aoe, neither is better than the other, but preference is everything. Since melee has faster attacks it will probably do more damage in the long run but its also in harms way, so it gets rewarded. I like sniping so Ill play ranged, also remember most dungeon fights seem to be ranged biased and very rough on melee.

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

No one said they aren’t viable. But you realise that somebody has to take aggro when you go into a dungeon?
When you say that rifle is better because it does ALMOST same damage while keeping you out of harm’s way, i have to imagine you are quite silly because in fact, somebody has to keep you out of harm’s way. By being melee.
When you go melee, not only you get rewarded with MORE damage(you do same damage with berserker pieces that you could put more of in because you range? Well ,that DAMAGE practically came from the fact that someone was meleeing and taking aggro from you.)
So as a melee, yes, you are much more beneficial to your team because you are doing most of the job by allowing them to land their DPS. Also, no matter how you look at it, 5 melee’s would completely outperform party of 5 ranged. In first party everyone supports each other, and in second one somebody runs in circles(who was unlucky enough to get aggro) while others stand and shoot.
Of course this is not true for all bosses, but for a good chunk of them(half?) it is exactly what happens.
Also, melee berserker is easy as long as you have a melee tanker with you(that guardian or warrior who draws the aggro from you and effectively survives with it – and he could be the same glass cannon warrior who is experienced enough to get out of harm way to obviously deal much more damage than his ranged allies)
Meleeing as an entire party means that you are more efficient(AOE support abilities reach everyone), and you will be taken back to your feet almost immediately if you go down
Note that when I say ranged, I mean ranged DPS. This has nothing to do with support-orientied players.
But that is not all. What I hate in dungeons most is not just ranged players – sometimes you have to range, but selfish players. I have had some awesome team combinations with my guild mates. What is your Signet of fury that you run? 130 precision to yourself?
Well I just have that banner of discipline that just gives 90 precision, 10% critical damage and 3 might for 20 seconds(planted in guardian fire combo field – or your own). To a total of 450 precision, 50% critical damage and 15 might for 20 seconds spread over my entire party. Not to mention that i can pick it up for free swiftness and fury for my party! And instead of your laughable signet of might, that gives you 90 power and 40 precision through trait(you might choose to pop it for 175 power! you lose precision, and it’s only half uptime, though), you could run for great justice. Together with the banner, fury uptime on my team becomes 100% and they get permanent(in fact not 100%, so almost permanent) +20% to critical chance, which equals to 420 precision to every member of my party. Oh, and 105 power to each one of them… permanently. Which is much more than a passive effect of signet of might.
In fact, it is quite funny how a banner that exists to help everyone gives more damage to you and to you alone than signet that exists to help you and you alone. Which brings me to disgust people who run signets(on a warrior.) – not only they do not help their party mates, but they also gimp themselves. This is of course mainly referring to signet of might and signet of fury. Signet of rage is much better in comparison to elite banner(which is mainly only great for the fact that it resurrects, it provides worse bonuses than a normal banner in my opinion -_-), and signet of endurance is an amazing helper with survivability.

(edited by Evalia.7103)

ranged warriors viable?

in Warrior

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Not true, Im betting I do more damage than most melee people do with my rifle/longbow build. I can put out twice as much damage as a 100b warrior with rifle, switch to longbow for its 400 damage burn ticks and 8k #3 bomb, switch back and rifle burst for another 30k damage. People saying ranged warriors such just havent ran into good ones yet. The only thing melee has going for it is its aoe, neither is better than the other, but preference is everything. Since melee has faster attacks it will probably do more damage in the long run but its also in harms way, so it gets rewarded. I like sniping so Ill play ranged, also remember most dungeon fights seem to be ranged biased and very rough on melee.

Try running Rifle/GS switch build(same weapon stats of course) and compare damage of rifle 3>F1 combo with GS 2>3 combo. Time it takes is pretty similar, however GS comes ahead in damage.
Ranged biased dungeon fights come from selfish players – playing ranged is selfish in a way. A party of melee’s is a wonderful piece – if they work together and not some 5x signet 5x warrior combo(or, in fact, ANTICOMBO) builds – which are a very stupid waste of potential, 3-4 warriors with for great justice, on my mark and different banners allow for absurd amount of damage. Situation becomes even more hilarious if there is a support guardian and/or mesmer(TIME WARP just makes everything 2 times worse for monsters that you fight)
The damage dealt by every single of warriors participating in such is uncomparable to a ranged guy damage.

(edited by Evalia.7103)