2013 Blog tells us nothing new about PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

To those who haven’t seen the new 1st half of 2013 blog post click here.

In response, I’m wondering if we may see a separate PvP blog that delves into many of the questions and concerns that were left unanswered in this update.

The portion on sPvP quickly breezes over information that we pretty much already know and acts as a reassurance that what they said is being worked on is on its way (sooner or later). I can say that I’m a little disappointed because I was expecting much greater detail into the plans, ideas, and actions ArenaNet is taking in 2013. It’d be much comforting to the PvP community to get a peak at the currently promised features such as leaderboards, custom arenas, and everything else anticipated by March.

Along side that, I’d like to know if anything is being done about the problems we see in live sPvP such as the poor GUI for Hot Join PvP. I thought it was just a temporary thing until a more polished page could be complete (concept design for Hot Join GUI). Paid Tournaments, to me, seem to be a hassle with the tickets and may discourage a huge percentage of players of actually playing them, leaving only a few competitive teams left who mostly dominate 1st and 2nd place. Also, I want to see a more informed discussion of what we may expect with 1v1 team matchups (alternatively to an 8-team tournament ladder) coming soon to be beta tested in Temple of the Silent Storm and what it means down the road to the competitive scene as they would likely be the preferred sPvP option because of the limited time dedication.

There’s so much more as well that can be said for PvP. As a PvP’r who saw Guild Wars 2 as a beacon of light in the MMO PvP scene prior to release, I can say I was hoping for more stable PvP functionality by now. As a customer, I’d like to see what the future may or may not hold in the next couple months. As it stands, what we know now is vague with only a few sentences to draw conclusions from on quite big introductions to PvP.

(edited by Art.9367)

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

As long as they deliver in 2013, and preferably sooner than later, that’s all that matters.

Every feature they mentioned is the majority of everything people wanted. Well, except dueling. Custom arenas don’t cut it for dueling.. people want dueling like how it works in World of Warcraft. That is, easy and open.

in PvP

Art.9367

You know, about dueling, I was hoping they’d have it included with the PvP updates. I remember a few times where I spent literally all night dueling outside Orgrimmar in WoW. It’s such a fun, casual time-killer that helps bring people to a centralized location to converse, talk builds. give constructive criticism, and make new friends.

in PvP

Posted by: Candiru.5279

Candiru.5279

……………
Every feature they mentioned is the majority of everything people wanted. Well, except dueling. …… That is, easy and open.

and except more game modes (capture flag….)

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

As long as they deliver in 2013, and preferably sooner than later, that’s all that matters.

i just wonder how many players could still play this game if they release everything in december 2013.

btw i agree with op. i wanted more details about spvp future upgrades.

in PvP

Posted by: O S I A S.5460

O S I A S.5460

I question there priorities. Guild AKA Team ladders now is what is the most needed to bring players in. You want players to learn next include obs mode. The rest is good to have but not a priority.

Take free tournies and make them completly random no teams entering.

Make a team queue only for guilds since you can be in so many. No guests. include this as the ladder.

Do away with paid tournies and just make them team/guild queue tournies for QP’s as a guild for monthly tounries.

In other words follow GW1 footsteps.

Also they have been really vague and saying where not even working on this but we will eventually and or we are now. I am confused as to what it is there really working on and what is going to come down the pipe first and when.

I have said it before no guild ladder soon and spvp is dead.

in PvP

Art.9367

……………
Every feature they mentioned is the majority of everything people wanted. Well, except dueling. …… That is, easy and open.

and except more game modes (capture flag….)

I expect maybe one new game mode by the end of this year. There’s too much work to be done on just the Conquest mode and giving sPvP a base to build upon to even think about a new mode till at least Q4, I believe. It’s sad, but the wait will be worth it if we actually see a rebound with PvP. The next couple months will be a huge factor in how PvP will play out up until the expansion.

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Yay More bullkitten.

- Re-iterating kitten we’ve been hearing about for months, but haven’t seen, still no timeline.
- No talk of fixing the currently broken (as in non-functioning) skills/traits/abilities, which there is a myriad of
- No talk of adjusting under-performing traits, skills, and abilities
- No talk of the current meta at all – whether or not you’re satisfied, and what adjustments you’re planning.

You’re writing this for current players (whats left of them on the PvP side anyway) as much as you’re writing this for prospective players – if you aren’t going to bother to get granular with us, why waste your time and ours? This is a bullkitten press release designed to look good, not information for information hungry players. I’d be less annoyed if you left the worthless PvP section out, rather than tack on this drivel. Spend less time talking about how awesome you are, and more time talking to players, addressing their concerns, and sharing your path (And most importantly, YOUR TIMELINE) for solutions.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Its almost a slap in the face how they added the line for PVP….“Hey, what about PVP?” then mentioned nothing but what we have been hearing…no game types or anything else..

Its a PVE game this…it gets 95% of the video and blog post… sPVP is a tack on.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

what you could think about:
the vid was 2:45 long, they talked about pvp for 15 seconds.
so the total time given to talk about pvp was a mere 9%

as the guy above me said, it felt like they just added the pvp bit in the same way politicians say “and we’ll cut taxes!” but never do, its spiel.

in PvP

Posted by: WaffylesYay.9735

WaffylesYay.9735

Balance + matchmaking/ranking first. Custom games too. Then possibly more features later. That’s what I got from the post. Definitely a great start, sPvP needs that at a bare minimum.

I agree with art’s post above mine, he is probably close to the truth.

http://www.twitch.tv/waffylesyay/
Someone said this was GvG – Pug -
Rizen From The Ashes -Ra-

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

I think his line “Hey, what about PvP?” was put as the title because he was about to turn in his blog post and some PvP DEV or QA guy said “Hey, what about PvP?”. Colin probably thought, “oh ya, I forgot we had that.”

I know that seems like a ridiculous statement and clearly I’m being facetious, but I honestly feel like PvP is a tacked on mode and they threw that line in there to just placate the 10 of us that still play PvP.

I think the only frustrating this is that I thought this game was marketed as a PvP game with PvE elements. Maybe I completely misunderstood, but it truly feels like less of a PvP game than WoW was. WoW was PvE with PvP tacked on and yet it seemed to have more options (albeit later in its life) than a game that was supposed to be a PvP game that was to launch with a great PvP experience.

I’m getting jaded. I feel as nobody talks about PvP in their blog posts, the forums, reddit, or anywhere else because there is nothing to talk about.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

I think his line “Hey, what about PvP?” was put as the title because he was about to turn in his blog post and some PvP DEV or QA guy said “Hey, what about PvP?”. Colin probably thought, “oh ya, I forgot we had that.”

I know that seems like a ridiculous statement and clearly I’m being facetious, but I honestly feel like PvP is a tacked on mode and they threw that line in there to just placate the 10 of us that still play PvP.

I think the only frustrating this is that I thought this game was marketed as a PvP game with PvE elements. Maybe I completely misunderstood, but it truly feels like less of a PvP game than WoW was. WoW was PvE with PvP tacked on and yet it seemed to have more options (albeit later in its life) than a game that was supposed to be a PvP game that was to launch with a great PvP experience.

I’m getting jaded. I feel as nobody talks about PvP in their blog posts, the forums, reddit, or anywhere else because there is nothing to talk about.

well put..i was thinking the same thing that Colin probably thought what you said lol

in PvP

Posted by: Venoma.7052

Venoma.7052

It’s officially over. They just hammered the last nail in the sPvP coffin. The blog is a slap in the face to anyone with a memory capacity longer than a week. Everything they mention in there has been promised for months and months and months. Nothing new & no timeline on those pipedreams like new game modes, ladder boards, dueling, etc. Anyone who doesn’t see this must still have the glazed cataract of empty promises over their eyes.

There will be no real improvements to sPvP until an expansion – I was really hoping that they would focus a major patch on sPvP alone but it’s pretty clear that PVE & WVW is what has the majority of players → hence the majority of dev time.

So that will be it for me I think – I’m done reading gw2guru & gwinsider, following the twitter, just for a slim hope of an actual update on sPvP.

The PVP in this game really had a chance, I mean everyone could see the possibilities …

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

this is how i think blogs should be done by devs
http://leaguecraft.com/news/new-league-system-coming-soon-in-ranked-4441.xhtml

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Oh look, the promise list was copy and pasted again.

This is what, the 4th time in the past 2-3 months?

in PvP

Posted by: condiments.8043

condiments.8043

Well I figured the blog post would be stereo-typically vague with more information coming in the next State of the Game in early Feb with an Arenanet dev. I suppose its then we’ll find out if we’re getting anything worthwhile anytime soon.

Cretius-Elementalist
Condiments-Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

maybe you should wait till they actually finish implementing the features they’ve already talked about before expecting them to announce even more features?

what’s the point in wanting more and more promises when they’re still working on the previous ones?

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

maybe you should wait till they actually finish implementing the features they’ve already talked about before expecting them to announce even more features?

what’s the point in wanting more and more promises when they’re still working on the previous ones?

Part of the gripe is the unacceptable amount of time they’re taking to put out basic PvP necessities. 4 months in and there’s a long list of vital features that still need to be implemented, and an even longer list of bug fixes, balance tweaks, and skill adjustments that have yet to even be acknowledged because we’re still waiting for vital features.

They just keep talking about them like we weren’t aware they were coming. We know they’re coming. We need to know when, because we don’t trust you anymore.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in PvP

Posted by: Raijinn.9065

Raijinn.9065

Eh I saw where this was going I already start investing my time elsewhere. But better believe the moments they get their heads on straight ill be back

in PvP

Posted by: ZombiesTT.3619

ZombiesTT.3619

I agree with OP. I only really login to sPVP now and there isn’t much reward other than gear. Besides I have to jump a HUGE level gap to get to the next tier for new armor that I don’t even want.

in PvP

Posted by: DXIEdge.2789

DXIEdge.2789

Ok this is it. I’ve had enough.

I just spent the last 3 hours in frees, trying to practice to get better. Hotjoins are random zergs and I only die when 5 people show up and attack me while my teammates run around with their heads cut off like a kittening chicken. thats fine, its hot joins. U get better there.

What I dont like is trying to get better only to go into a free and get kittening demolished first round. This is bullkitten.

Anet, if u pay any attention to Anvil Rock’s map chat, I am the first one to come to your aid. The fix is coming. We need patience. Etc etc. But kitten it we need some info. You haven’t given us anything to go off of and frankly the community has had enough.

Look around you. The PvP is dwindling. The so called “esport” can’t get 200 viewers on twitch. A card game less accessible, more expensive, and harder to play gets regularily 2000 viewers.

I know the game is new. its only january, it came out in october. I get that. I’m not expecting a LoL. Not even WoW. Just give me some god kitten matchmaking so I can get better and not want to kill myself every time I join a free and get kittening smoked by 40+’s who are just waiting for the paids to pop.

And thats the other thing. If the only thing you’re doing to fix paids is adding a seperate team vs. team that still costs money (and 3 tickets at that. really? why not 2?) and not
A) Decreasing the entry fee
B) Finding a way to increase popularity

then u might as well not give us the update in February.

Just give us something. You’ll have a lot more happy customers if we walk into the store and realise WHAT YOUR DOING TO FIX THE STORE.

There are gas prices posted for a reason. Transparency is necessary for customers to continue to want your product.

I hope i didnt sound like a QQ’ing troll because I really want J Sharp to read this. I just want some answers and that blog didnt give a very good one. Not one that wants me to continue to play this game anyway

Signed,
Frustrated Customer

R40! Ele/Ranger for GW2 Esports Guild
@DXIEdge on twitter.

in PvP

Posted by: OneManArmy.5617

OneManArmy.5617

All they said is that everything will be ready for the expansion.
With how things are going, I don’t expect anything significant earlier than that.

Surrender is not an option!

in PvP

Art.9367

There is just so little discussion about the game and where it is headed outside these vague blog posts. I want something where we don’t have to speculate and wonder what is going on behind the scenes at ArenaNet. Sure, we are told that features like matchmaking are being worked on, but we are left in the dark as to what it exactly is and what we can expect from it in finer detail. Things like this can be generalized and highlighted for a time, but at this point, we have received so little information new since the Tip-of-the-Iceberg post which was over 3 months ago.

Give us a bone to chew on. Let us know what is heading our way instead so we have a reason to continue to be ambitious and excited about playing the game. Rehashed old news is not something that we were expecting to see in the 2013 blog. There must have been some sort of development/progression with some of the features mentioned, so why so much secrecy? More transparency would be appreciated.

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

even anvil rock is pmuch dead.

i’ll be back when the single match queue with rating is implemented to see what the population is like. gl to you all sticking with it.

ANet, hire a team to support your terribly implemented awesome game. the news that you actually have staff to support us would go a lot further than any blog post.

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

hmm. i was seeing lots of games in hotjoin today. as much servers as we had a month or two ago. spvp isnt even close to dead or dying. tournaments are though.

colin did say theyre revamping rewards for pvp. so there’s that.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i understand that companies likes to keep hush hush about what they’re coming out with, usually this stirs anticipation amongst the customers,
but in the case of gw2 pvp we could really use a bone here,
its not feeling like anticipation, its feeling like neglect.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

No mention at all of new game modes in 2013? Does that mean we have to keep playing the same game mode for another year?

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

1. This blogpost lists the features we should expect, especially for Feb/ March patches.
2. We already knew beforehand what to expect for pvp.
3. We’ve still got a new detail out of it: new rewards for pvp.
4. We’ll probably get more detailed information once the jan/ feb/ march patches get closer.

I know it might be annoying to wait, but we already have the info,and we already have one/ two months as the target date for several of those features.

The blogpost achieved what it was set to do: simply outline the upcomming changes.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)