Anything in the pipeline for new game types?

in PvP

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

As the title states. Will there be more then just Conquest…soon?

Capture the flag, Arenas, etc etc

Guild V Guild is the biggest thing for me…and dont say do that in WvW…Im talking about an organized proper rated event like Guild Wars 1 where guilds can work their ways up in the rankings.

in PvP

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

Yeah a dev said their working on more game type after they first finish ranking/ladder/match making and custom game modes.

They didn’t mention exactly what type of game type though I fear its just going to be something slapped together quickly like Capture the flag or some junk that will never make it to E Sport.

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Phira has it right. Once we have the key features we need for the core of the game, we’ll look at doing other game types.

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Zoke.2147

Zoke.2147

please please please consider 2-5 arenas, what ever you think is most balanced for GW, and some format much closer to AB, like 12-15 people with 5+ points so there is actual maneuver that has to take place and not just bunkering 2 points all day <3 love u long time

in PvP

Posted by: Sebyos.4089

Sebyos.4089

When it’s ready right ? Cause game was ready right ? It was weird to hear that some minor features would be released latter, but it’s hard to believe the content… we have right now is something worthy of calling ready, but without minor features.

So what am I doing here ? Game will release in June 2013 will it not ?

80 Norn Necromancer Max : JC, WS, TL, AT.
100% World completion.

(edited by Sebyos.4089)

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

When it’s ready right ? Cause game was ready right ? It was weird to hear that some minor features would be released latter, but it’s hard to believe the content… we have right now is something worthy of calling ready, but without minor features.

Immature insults won’t make them develop new game modes any quicker. And you asked a good question at the end there, right before the game release 2013 question.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: krivoj.8407

krivoj.8407

i need a capture the flag!!! and some arenas deadmatch.

in PvP

Posted by: Rhaviolio.1853

Rhaviolio.1853

I think the thing with capture the flag it will add a whole new balance issue with classes and that game type.

I am definitely hoping for capture the flag soon. And by soon I mean before the next decade >.>

in PvP

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

Of all the possibilities, why advocate capture the flag? Those are very generic game modes that I believe will doom sPvP if they focus too much on them as it’ll increase queue line because there’s not enough players or their just not fun – their just generic and old ideas.

And you might be thinking, “their just game modes, take a chill pill man.” but.. in a mmo sort of situation, a good game mode is almost all the dev have at increasing the game play quality without fundamentally changing the game which takes too much coding. To understand what the heck I’m talking about, we should first know that MMO spend lots of time focusing more on coding content (PvE) rather than polishing the game play (combat system) itself. Luckily, even if the game play isn’t all that great, the fluff of mass PvE contents on it makes up for it.

However, in a sPvP situation where players are to be forced in a small compact arena rather than a large explorable terrain, the content-aspect that the dev spent so much time coding is gone. Obviously, its not going to be as great as say Leagues of Legends or FPS whom focused the majority of its coding on polishing game play.

IMO, the most efficient way to improve game play in sPvP is to basically recycle already coded content such as world events that gains NPC aid, quests that offer items to help assist in completing objectives, bosses such as svanir that grant buffs, and other interesting things that they spent so much time programming in their PvE fluff into one dynamic small compact game mode that features all of the games strongest areas. Has this recycling method been done before in the past with success? Yep.

Let’s take a look at an example. In Warcraft 3, the fan community recycled many aspects of the original game and created DotA which actually became even more popular than the game itself. Well, the champions and monsters still maneuver mostly the same and everything is still fundamentally the same. There wasn’t much coding to it. Just mostly recycled material. Yet it feels so different. Serious efficiency in making addicting game play couldn’t have been more easily done.

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

The game was the most ready I have ever seen an MMO on release and Im kind of long in tooth have seen alot of MMO releases.

Add dueling while people wait for other modes…. /duel

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

in PvP

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

I quit after the Ascendent mess. PvE is dead to me. Adding Random Arenas would bring me back. Actually reworking all the worthless traits and secondary skills across all the professions would restore a small fraction of my faith in humanity.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

GvG please for the love of god, I need gvg

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Pretty sure GVG will be implemented @ some point don’t worry , its what made guild wars what it is

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Phira has it right. Once we have the key features we need for the core of the game, we’ll look at doing other game types.

lol in other words most likely sometime late 2013/2014 before we see something thats not conquest >.<

in PvP

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

This game is waaaay to bursty for arena fights.
It’s already bursty when everyone is spread out inbetween objectives, imagine the team wide burst damage you can pull off if your team is constantly grouped together in an arena.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Can you say anything less vague about it?
:)

in PvP

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I really don’t get why people want Capture The Flag in Guild Wars 2. It would just turn into a control vs. stability/stealth game. You either get stunned and killed, or you have a Guardian/Thief/Mesmer that uses stability/stealth AoE to get past opponents. Of curse, you could remove all abilities from players holding the flag, but certain profession would still have advantages over others, when it comes to things like swiftness and stealth.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

Immature insults won’t make them develop new game modes any quicker. And you asked a good question at the end there, right before the game release 2013 question.

neither will praising everything they do like some on here do

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

I really don’t get why people want Capture The Flag in Guild Wars 2. It would just turn into a control vs. stability/stealth game. You either get stunned and killed, or you have a Guardian/Thief/Mesmer that uses stability/stealth AoE to get past opponents. Of curse, you could remove all abilities from players holding the flag, but certain profession would still have advantages over others, when it comes to things like swiftness and stealth.

Games usually don’t allow stealth, and sometimes not even teleports while holding the flag.

Capture the flag probably isn’t a good game mode for this game, just because of the grotesque amount of movement skills in it…
That and with the game not even close to balanced for any sort of team engagement… its tough to really pick another mode to develop.

in PvP

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

I just want some word on Guild V Guild like it was in GW1.

That was so fun…Guilds out there smacking each other around fighting for that throne (per say)

I guess this request falls under the “when its ready” saying.

in PvP

Posted by: Darko.5873

Darko.5873

20 months later… are the core features here yet?

all is vain

in PvP

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

20 months later… are the core features here yet?

They consider skyhambow a core feature, THE core feature, so I guess yes!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

Yikes. I wonder if there will be an updated dev response on this. It’s not a good thing to say your game isn’t ready and will be receiving more features then never put out more features.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

in PvP

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

thus necro threads

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

Whoever dug up this thread made my day.

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

A moderator will close this thread because it doesn’t contribute anything positive (see gemstore sales).

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in PvP

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

Yeah a dev said their working on more game type after they first finish ranking/ladder/match making and custom game modes.

Exactly how long would this take? After almost a 2 year old game I would think this would of been top priority. Considering (and this is just my speculation) Most MMO players end game is PvP type content.

Edit: I didn’t notice how old this thread is, but I think its relevant.
Edit 2: I wonder if the OP still plays the game since he hasn’t got what he’s asked for yet

solo cheese engi/ex teef

(edited by gartz.7013)

in PvP

Posted by: Mindtrick.5190

Mindtrick.5190

Hahah maybe next year

Got Ninja?
https://www.twitch.tv/mindtrick714
<3 and Hugs no Hate I Just Point Out Fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Someone should infract this poster for trolling (j/k) >.>

But in all honestly, it has been ages, and the one extra features that have been added are just to bridge a gap between PvE and PvP.

Last time I checked “core” features were a priority, not put on the backburner to wait 1-2 years to be fleshed out.

But since we are on the topic of new game modes…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Suggestion-Each-map-has-its-own-game-mode/first#post4120399

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Suggestion-PvP-Scenarios/first#post4112640

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Nice, two good necro threads today to shine a light on pvp “development”…

in PvP

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

Hahah maybe next year

/shoo

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Just curious, when you say “key features for the core of the game”, do you mean in terms of combat mechanics, or ancillary features to support pvpers (like leaderboards, replays, etc)?
And, if you’re allowed to say, which two features have the highest priority in your development pipeline?

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

lol well this is great necro thread

It’s painfully obvious there is no PvP development… you could prolly count the number of anet PvP team members on 1 hand…

Can’t really blame the sPvP team for this embarassing state PvP is in… its all on the higher ups…

PvP side of this game has been dead for quite sometime and it’s not getting any better… I have no reason to believe there’s will be any new pvp modes anytime soon. Y’all can pretty much squash this dream.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

All I gotta say is that split into two different arenas wasn’t worth it in my mind.

Also all those 2v2 3v3 arena lovers, adding more arenas and different ways to que will just lead to longer wait time, they attract no one. Its just some fun thing you can do in the Custom Arenas.

If anything new gets added, it should be 8v8 GvG. I’d say something larger but some guilds cannot field a larger number constantly. Also 8v8 was pretty successful in hotjoins way back than, 10v10 just turned into a real zergfest.

So adding GvG you have a guild leaderboard… Currently you have player, and server but there’s no guild leaderboard yet. Best to start out 8v8 and if people want larger fights than that’s something you can do in the future.

in PvP

Posted by: Jomo kenyatta.7351

Jomo kenyatta.7351

So after years we still dont have the key features we need for the core game? and were just stuck with 1 game mode indefinitely? Sorry but this just isnt good enough weve waited for such a long time for new game modes thats all people talked about in alpha and beta, and now you say 2 years down the line and we still dont get new game modes and not even a hint as to when your going to add guild halls or proper gvg, and by proper i mean like in gw1 where it was an actual esport not 3 capture points with 5 bunkers boring us to death on esl. for the sake of this game there needs to be new pvp game modes.