Bring on the monthly fee

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

I don’t know how else to say this. It is EXTREMELY apparent that PvP is not getting the attention it needs. From DEV posts and using my own two eyes, it appears staffing allocation is the issue.

I love that this is free to play(after initial purchase). I bought this game only for PvP because it was touted as an e-sport and a PvP-first game. If the reason they can’t roll things out at the speed they want is because of lack of funds or manpower, then I really regret this being a B2P game.

It reminds me of PS3 vs Xbox360 debate. I own each and I like each for its own things. I have a friend who is a die-hard PS3 fan and is offended when I buy games on xbox360. I tell him the online is better. He then says “well what do you expect, PS3 doesn’t charge”. My only reply is “well they should then, because it’s terrible. I would rather pay a yearly fee for something that works than to get a free paperweight.”

I believe the same thing applies here. I would much rather pay a fee for something that actually gets the developer attention it deserves. That is all.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Isruu.2857

Isruu.2857

Then go buy some gems.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

I have a feeling that if you had to pay a monthly fee for this game PvP would be more of a ghost town than it currently is…

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Soryuju.8164

Soryuju.8164

I have a feeling that if you had to pay a monthly fee for this game PvP would be more of a ghost town than it currently is…

Agreed, this, far more than any bugs or gear treadmills, would be the death of GW2. Not to be rude to the OP, but I understand this thread as more of a general dissatisfaction thread than a serious suggestion (correct me if I’m wrong).

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

Agreed, this, far more than any bugs or gear treadmills, would be the death of GW2. Not to be rude to the OP, but I understand this thread as more of a general dissatisfaction thread than a serious suggestion (correct me if I’m wrong).

Well the current state of the game is pretty similar to Terri Schiavo before the feeding tube was removed, not dead, yet not “truly” living.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Akame.1073

Akame.1073

@felivear muahahaha you have no idea what are you talking about

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Prince.3682

Prince.3682

If a subscription fee translated to active content then I would agree but I don’t think PVPers are worth much so I doubt it would have been any beter. Ultimately this game has made me realize PVPers like many of us are a highly demanding minority who may never find a suitable home for competitive PVP with any level of depth and active development.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

felivear.1536

If a subscription fee translated to active content then I would agree but I don’t think PVPers are worth much so I doubt it would have been any beter. Ultimately this game has made me realize PVPers like many of us are a highly demanding minority who may never find a suitable home for competitive PVP with any level of depth and active development.

I hope you are wrong there, but you may be correct. I just want that MMO that ACTUALLY caters to PvP and develops a fun PvP experience that is feature rich. I think as long as PvE is tethered to it, PvP will always be an afterthought because of what yous stated “PvPers are the highly demanding minority”. We are few, but we are loud. Easier to brush us aside than to cave to our demands.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

sad sad really. PVPers like many of us are a highly demanding minority who may never find a suitable home for competitive PVP with any level of depth and active development.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

I have a feeling the OP might be more right then we want to believe.

So many things regarding sPvP just confuse the hell out of me. Mostly because I see a game that is great for so many ways, but just off the mark as well. But this disconnect is big enough to bring the whole thing down.

I always get a paranoid impression when thinking about it, like Anet knows something we don’t, like some sort of marketing scheme that just needs a little more time to come to fruition.

But the more logical assessment would be funding. If the game development is split up between pvp and pve(as mentioned by anet themselves) than the parts that bring in the most profit will receive the most attention. Which would be pve.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I’m about to give up on PvP in this game. Already quit PvE because of their WoW grind BS, but everytime I play PvP I end up quitting after 30 mins because it is frustrating as hell when 80% of players are thieves or mesmers and counters are few if any. I see a thief coming, manage to dodge his initial burst, use my stun breakers to escape his poison and binds, almost kill him and he just goes stealth and runs away. I see a mesmer coming, get ready to aoe the clones and put some CC on the mesmer, oh wait, the mesmer used moa on me and I’m dead. There is no way I would be willing to pay a monthly fee for PvP that is this stupid.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

I’m about to give up on PvP in this game. Already quit PvE because of their WoW grind BS, but everytime I play PvP I end up quitting after 30 mins because it is frustrating as hell when 80% of players are thieves or mesmers and counters are few if any. I see a thief coming, manage to dodge his initial burst, use my stun breakers to escape his poison and binds, almost kill him and he just goes stealth and runs away. I see a mesmer coming, get ready to aoe the clones and put some CC on the mesmer, oh wait, the mesmer used moa on me and I’m dead. There is no way I would be willing to pay a monthly fee for PvP that is this stupid.

This. Thief/Mes zerg in just about every game. I shouldn’t have to take so much satisfaction in killing a class/spec because they can global me. Sadly, I stick around because every once in a while you have those games that have a variety of classes, people actually defend a point instead of zerging (OMG I know!), and it’s a close game. It kind of gives you insight of what the PvP could possibly be if it wasn’t so broken. Of course those games happen about once a week…

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Shanks R Us.2489

Shanks R Us.2489

Lack of funding? They made well over 100 million in pre orders…

Zane The Clever – Asuran Engineer
Roaming Video 3Roaming Video 41v7 in WvW with engineer

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Aquin.3192

Aquin.3192

Cant afford to hire enough talent to fix the loading bug you cant make pvp right.

Ackwin R53 Thief – Evading like a boss!

twitch.tv/hotjoinhero

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

Maybe the community should start some “bounties” in a kickstarter-like way?

“If we raise $100,000 in crowdfunding, would ANet set up a definite project with public deadlines, a public beta, and a development team dedicated to PvP and responsive to the community, to address issues X, Y and Z, and to implement features A, B, and C?”

So rather than some sort of indirect “lets buy gems and hope for the best”, instead let’s treat the development of PvP as an entirely new product, and pay for for it directly.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Lailendil.1540

Lailendil.1540

I would pay (more) to get a good PvP game with balance, “lots” of maps, features like ladder and basically a dev team that acutally listens to the people who bought their game and address the known issue.

GW2 doesn’t come out of nowhere. Anet had tons of useful information after GW1. How could they make it this wrong?

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Edelweiss.9815

Edelweiss.9815

“If we raise $100,000 in crowdfunding, would ANet set up a definite project with public deadlines, a public beta, and a development team dedicated to PvP and responsive to the community, to address issues X, Y and Z, and to implement features A, B, and C?”

So rather than some sort of indirect “lets buy gems and hope for the best”, instead let’s treat the development of PvP as an entirely new product, and pay for for it directly.

I hope you’re joking.

What’s next? “Let’s gather 10 million to help Microsoft iron out the bugs in Windows 8”?

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

I hope you’re joking.

What’s next? “Let’s gather 10 million to help Microsoft iron out the bugs in Windows 8”?

idk if its a joke, but anet should be ashamed that someone actually wrote this… its an effort to raise some money to give pvp a bit of serious development… i hope they have enough grace to at least blush after reading this.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

I hope you’re joking.

Well, the topic of the thread is that someone wants to financially incentivise ANet to prioritise PvP more.

So my response is, IF you’re going to do it, then you might as well do it directly and properly.

If you disagree with the entire concept of the thread, then that’s fine. (I don’t particularly agree with the thread either.)

Hahah, I just thought of an awesome new Buy-2-Win business model!

You put up development bounties for the various bugs facing each class – if players can donate enough funds to meet the goal, then you prioritise the fix for that bug.

You can also put up development bounties for balance problems. If people feel that a certain class or ability is overpowered, they can donate to get it nerfed. And other people can donate to keep it the same. The devs get money either way! Brilliant!

Excuse me whilst I go and develop a free to play game on this model. It’s better than selling hats, right?! :P

(edited by Rieselle.5079)

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Akame.1073

Akame.1073

Sig… there was never in the history of gaming a game that was released as an e-sport & became an e-sport. A net is constantly working to inprove the game pve & pvp wise. Anet that they are aiming for e-sport wich in itself its a bold statement coz you never know what will grab on, as for that they are listening to the comunity wich resulted in patch after patch to fix classes. Next was the paid turnaments & now the posibility to have private bg zones tp praktice team strategies, also they said that they are looking into a ranking sistem. Now i dont know maybe the OP has some inside info “laugh” but to inplement such a sistem requires alot of work (scoting , teams , ranking ….. … … code inplementation, testing fixing retesting …….. ). Work wise they are doing a beter job than crapy blizzard & actualy developing pvp with the help of the comunity.
To do that it takes time & (maybe the OP knows) i dont know how namy ppl are working to develop this game , but maybe yes they need more ppl , if so they will get more ppl ( i font think they want their preious baby to fail, in wich they pour so much love, sweat & sleeples hours) or maybe they dont want more ppl fearing that if they had more ppl the game will lose it direction, only Anet knows the answer but for what i have seen with the patches & fixes they are doing just fine.
& OP having to pay a fee to play e-sport would go against what made lol, hon, dota e-sport games , acesible to the masses. So i will repeat myself : you have no idea what are you talking about.
Sc2 doesnt count its basicaly a copy of sc1

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

This game has NO chance of becoming an Esport – and Anet are crazy if they think they can. Pretty much every class is full of bugs and issues and they get “Balanced” AROUND them – they “fix” some issues only to make them worse and lets not forget the constant disconnects when loading maps…

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Catalyst.8075

Catalyst.8075

@ prince
That’s because pvp in mmo’s died with games like ultima online, shadowbane, and daoc. Pvp is not just about battlegrounds and controlled battles, its about risking everything you have and fighting for your life. Killing another player and taking everything on their corpse! That is real pvp and all the gamers who are around my age (30) know exactly what I’m talking about. If your first mmo was wow, then you will never know.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

lol, i forgot about that adrenalin shock:) the rage! games looked ridiculous but that was it.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Edelweiss.9815

Edelweiss.9815

@ prince
That’s because pvp in mmo’s died with games like ultima online, shadowbane, and daoc. Pvp is not just about battlegrounds and controlled battles, its about risking everything you have and fighting for your life. Killing another player and taking everything on their corpse! That is real pvp and all the gamers who are around my age (30) know exactly what I’m talking about. If your first mmo was wow, then you will never know.

DAoC didn’t have full loot. It didn’t have ppen world PvP either.

And while I agree that modern PvP might be a little too safe, it’s not even about punishment, I think it should at least present some kind of rewards for good PvPers based on their performance. A ladder with some unique cosmetic rewards for reaching a high ranking would be enough to make the game competitive.

Gems are a good reward, but the accessibility for random people is low and, again, no ladder system to separate good players and give a goal to look forward to.

Speaking of WoW, you can argue that their “PvP-in-the-box” format was lousy, but unique gear, ranks and whatnot, made the Arena highly competitive and a hot topic for a long time. GW2 needs something similar.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Ulyssean.1709

Ulyssean.1709

To all the guys sticking up for the monthly fee, why don’t you just spend lots of money on the Gem store?

The big advertisement on the box is that this game has no sub fee. When they put a sub fee in they are going to lose millions in refunds.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

To all the guys sticking up for the monthly fee, why don’t you just spend lots of money on the Gem store?

The big advertisement on the box is that this game has no sub fee. When they put a sub fee in they are going to lose millions in refunds.

Rather pay a monthly fee and get “better” (IMO) Support such as getting patches that DONT break skills, weapons, traits. Then waste money on gems, giving them money and STILL get poor support and lack of fixes for all the bugs and issues

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Gintoki.6405

Gintoki.6405

haha i like ur idea :P maybe we can do some crowd funding.. windows8 bring back the start menu!! for us not using tablets like kitten !

Aurora glade [FURY] clan. Zetsu (zetsudai, zetsu mei, Zetsu Rounin)

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Catalyst.8075

Catalyst.8075

Wow didn’t have arenas 6 months into the game. We have to give this game time. Once everything balances out you at least have skill based pvp. I agree with you though, cosmetic rewards sound nice.

Doac didn’t have full loot but the adrenaline was there. I won’t speak too much of doac because I didn’t play it forever, but uo and shadowbane I did. I think if the new generation of gamers had a chance to play games like that they would fall in love with the best reward possible for killing another player…THEIR items.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

felivear.1536

Wow didn’t have arenas 6 months into the game. We have to give this game time. Once everything balances out you at least have skill based pvp. I agree with you though, cosmetic rewards sound nice.

Doac didn’t have full loot but the adrenaline was there. I won’t speak too much of doac because I didn’t play it forever, but uo and shadowbane I did. I think if the new generation of gamers had a chance to play games like that they would fall in love with the best reward possible for killing another player…THEIR items.

WoW was a PvE game. The game evolved from PvE into PvP, BGs, and Arenas. They were things that weren’t initially planned but after launch decided to add it. That’s WAY different than pounding the drums screaming “this game will be e-sport, all hail the great e-sport!” And then when it launches, it’s as bare-bones as WoW was, which tacked PvP onto their PvE game.

That argument does not even come close to working as correlation to GW2.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: CENSOR.6081

CENSOR.6081

Well the current state of the game is pretty similar to Terri Schiavo before the feeding tube was removed, not dead, yet not “truly” living.

lol’d + quoted before Mod find.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: shaolin.9716

shaolin.9716

The combat in this game is great, but I definitely wouldn’t pay for the kind of PvP experience we have here. Sad to say this, but WoW PvP back when I played was a lot more balanced and entertaining than PvP in GW2, so that’s probably where I’d throw $15/month if I had to.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Then go buy some gems.

That’s a ridiculous thing to say to someone who is very right in saying that spvp is not working properly.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

The combat in this game is great, but I definitely wouldn’t pay for the kind of PvP experience we have here. Sad to say this, but WoW PvP back when I played was a lot more balanced and entertaining than PvP in GW2, so that’s probably where I’d throw $15/month if I had to.

WoW was never balance anytime in their pvp history, but it was entertaining that’s for sure. If you want to compare today’s WoW pvp to GW2 pvp then you know good and well WoW pvp is out of its league. You can tell difference by the gameplay no lie man.

Pineapples

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: daphuq.9038

daphuq.9038

we had a good game, it was promising, it had a chance but now its dead. deal with it and move on.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

The problem with your thinking is that it assumes sub based games have better PVP support and that’s obviously not the case. The best PVP support I’ve experienced existed in the first Guild Wars up until they decided to just blanderize* the skills.

WoW doesn’t have good PVP support. WoW and Blizz have far worse balance issues than either Guild Wars game. Rift has bigger issues as well. You get a new map with a major patch in those games. You got a new map with a major patch here.

So a sub does nothing to help with PVP. Only a greater focus on PVP does and right now ANet has sPVP on the backburner. You must realize that though people view GW as a PVP game, the vast majority of time spent playing by the overall populace is in PVE.

*Blanderize is a word invented and trademarked by etiolate LLC and all future uses of the word must show due rights and respect by being suave.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

(edited by etiolate.9185)

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I hear your argument, and it resounds with me.

I also think this game will need a marketing campaign and a come back in a year or two when its fixed. That campaign will be more successful if its p

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Volted.2451

Volted.2451

I thought there was an age restriction for people to own this game, however you can never pose an IQ restriction can you?
OP – incredibly weak and unproductive critique, but hey you can always play something else.
I’m baffled by amount of pure whining in this section of the forum, 5 minutes in and getting more depressed by reading thread after thread, “game is dead”, “pvp is dead”, “anet dosn’t prioritize”, “anet hates us” – and then a long and rather boring list of things to justify unjustifiable claims – wtf?
Funny thing that if you go to forums of the games those OP’s so sympathize you’ll find out them saying same crap about those games too (good chance those are the same people).
Peace,
Volted.

(edited by Volted.2451)

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

I’d prefer to see the PvP go completely F2P, with maybe 2 character slots that can only enter the mists. If you want to see WvW or PvE, you’ll still have to buy the game.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Brutalistik.6473

I thought there was an age restriction for people to own this game, however you can never pose an IQ restriction can you?
OP – incredibly weak and unproductive critique, but hey you can always play something else.
I’m baffled by amount of pure whining in this section of the forum, 5 minutes in and getting more depressed by reading thread after thread, “game is dead”, “pvp is dead”, “anet dosn’t prioritize”, “anet hates us” – and then a long and rather boring list of things to justify unjustifiable claims – wtf?
Funny thing that if you go to forums of the games those OP’s so sympathize you’ll find out them saying same crap about those games too (good chance those are the same people).
Peace,
Volted.

Oh snap I usually hold back on the name calling, but sometimes it’s well deserved to the exaggerators trying to see if they can get a reaction from Anet themselves. I agree too these are probably the same people who hop over from different games they don’t like and start singing the QQ merry go around rant song on the forums.

The toughest job for them to do is actually doing the most simplest thing if they don’t like the game. That is actually quitting the game and not responding on the forums, but they want to voice out their opinions and hope the crowd joins their bandwagon.

Nothing wrong with that, but it’s kind of wasteful and comedy to the forums.

Pineapples

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

daphuq.9038

any paying customer has a right to point their opinions, learn to take criticism or don’t speak at all.

if you don’t see that people are frustrated because the spvp is ’’DEAD’’, then you’re playing something else. I am yet to come on forums and see an optimistic post about spvp.

hard to be optimistic when the design team itself confesses that they have 2 people working on spvp design.

but then again its just me whining on forums.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

any paying customer has a right to point their opinions, learn to take criticism or don’t speak at all.

if you don’t see that people are frustrated because the spvp is ’’DEAD’’, then you’re playing something else. I am yet to come on forums and see an optimistic post about spvp.

hard to be optimistic when the design team itself confesses that they have 2 people working on spvp design.

No. Just no. And some people question the idea of an “over-entitled society.”

No one has a “right to point their opinions” based on the fact that they’re a “paying customer.” Arenanet has provided this forum, and extended the privilege of commenting upon it. Those with accounts may discuss whatever they want within the rules set down by Arenanet, but no one has “the right” to force their opinions upon the developer. Sure, anyone can talk about whatever else they want on someone else’s forum, but there’s no “right to petition” based upon the purchase of a piece of software.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

daphuq.9038

good thing you don’t set those rules mister gestapo.

Bring on the monthly fee

in PvP

Brutalistik.6473

Well they did said they were hiring so when they get more people in that field Spvp and other pvp activities will come into play. You can be optimistic about Spvp saying it’s fun and all, but the down side of it is class balance with stats scaling on its back a.k.a toughness.

Pineapples