Can we have 8 vs. 8 back?

in PvP

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

Before, you could easily find a server to test builds on, or have simple fun with focus on your oppponent/s while keeping an eye on the points. There wasn’t far between encouters and gasp, it was even fun.

People who didn’t enjoy it had 5 vs. 5 hotjoin servers for a more realistic testing of ones abilities, although it didn’t have the seriousness of a soloQ (yes, it sounds strange).

Currently I spend most time searching for servers to join. People have the winner joining mentality still and that won’t change, so more often than not there are fights of 5 vs. 4 and down to 3 vs. 2. It can escalate rather quickly to the point where a once 12/20 populated server becomes completely abandoned. That is one of the major problems I have witnessed and results in constantly joining games and slow loading screens, where in the past you could stick to one server for a long time.

Lowly populated servers don’t allow for many encounters and grow dull in no time, resulting in server swaps and an endless rotation. People are not interested in looking for servers constantly, as it results in frustration over the lack of playtime. Of course you could join soloQ or TPvP even, but are people really interested in having someone on their team who is about to test builds and work on their profession?

There is a vast difference between a 7 vs. 6 match and 3 vs. 2. One will likely last and be fun, the other not.

Why did you remove the old 8 vs. 8 format, which already had 5 vs. 5 servers that were used? I don’t think that by any stretch it would harm SPvP to bring back 8 vs. 8. On the contrary.

Would allowing 8 vs. 8 to return not also have potential to draw people in that use soloQ and TPvP for dailies and goals that aren’t particularly winning?

I just know that 8 vs. 8 was chaotic fun. I used soloQ for slightly serious fights, although the frustration over 5 vs. 4’s often grew too annoying too fast. TPvP can now be won (rather often) even if you team up with just one other person. What happened?

Why did you remove 8 vs. 8? Can you say that you reached a certain goal by only allowing 5 vs. 5, when suddenly a different reward system is in place that nullifies any result numbers normally would give? I say bring it back. Have 5 vs. 5 and 8 vs. 8 co-exist again.

Elitists that only think their way of playing the game is prevalent are advised not to respond to this thread with nonsensical and unconstructive replies.

(edited by Malcastus.6240)

in PvP

Posted by: mooty.4560

mooty.4560

There are still a few public/custom rooms where players can 8v8 if you’re into zerg fests. They’re most likely to be inhabited during the weekend but if you linger long enough in one you might get a match going.

in PvP

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

I’m not into zerg fests. Zergs will likely happen on 5 vs. 5’s, if the server is populated long enough. In the past the pirate/underwater map inspired zerg behaviour due to its design, but I digress.

Only having a mild chance of joining a server in weekends is not really an attractive alternative, admittedly.

in PvP

Posted by: mooty.4560

mooty.4560

I’m not into zerg fests. Zergs will likely happen on 5 vs. 5’s, if the server is populated long enough. In the past the pirate/underwater map inspired zerg behaviour due to its design, but I digress.

Yes, if a server is played by the same players long enough, the better players will tend to gravitate toward one another. Why do you think 8v8 is any different?

Only having a mild chance of joining a server in weekends is not really an attractive alternative, admittedly.

Changing all the public servers back to 8v8 might make you happy, but it’s going to make other people unhappy… and the maps are designed for 5v5 anyway. The objectives are too thin, the maps are too small. GW2’s heavy use of particle effects and lack of skill meter make it very different to read character animations and react to things as is.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

/signed
i’ve been saying this since they randomly removed 8v8.

before then people who wanted 5v5 could do 5v5, people who wanted 8v8 could do 8v8,
IT WORKED. so why did they go and screw it up?

its impossible to have a decent match in hotjoin 5v5 its always one-sided and most of the time it’s half empty.

yes there was often a zerg at the middle, but the game was still balanced by the 1-2 people on each team focusing on objectives, you’d have alot more 400v500 ends than in 5v5 where the small number of players makes it impossible to carry, and one side will always start to steamroll around the map.

GIVE US OUR 8v8 BACK

edit: before anyone comes in saying “just go tournaments lolz”, some of us don’t want to play as/against meta clones, some of us want the fun of playing as/against more interesting builds, and that is the role that hotjoin fills, theres always afew meta clones, but you’ll find a wider variety of builds than the meta-fest of tournaments.

(edited by Liewec.2896)

in PvP

Posted by: Kukla.2041

Kukla.2041

Without 8v8 hotjoin I simply dropped spvp. Really wanna them back.

in PvP

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

Fully agree this. 8v8 was significantly less sensitive for bad matchups than 5v5.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Ugh, no. 8v8 was terrible. Fights were just giant AoE zerg-fests.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Fully agree this. 8v8 was significantly less sensitive for bad matchups than 5v5.

That’s because there was no match; it was just a brainless slogg fest.

The root of this issue isn’t in the absence of 8v8; the issue is in the 5v5 experience, and how easy it is to abuse the system and make the matches completely one sided.

SUGGESTION: make it so that if the teams are equal you may only join the losing side

Fixed!

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Vieteriukko.6075

SUGGESTION: make it so that no one can pick sides.

There was a short period of time when there was a problem in scoreboard last winter for day or two and you couldn’t spectate or swap teams if I remember correctly. Anyways during that time hotjoin matches were at best they have ever been. Most my matches ended in 500-400 range and everyone tried to win. Just get that back.

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

Hey guys…here’s a great idea…

Why don’t they have both 8v8 and 5v5…so that those who like 8v8 and those who like 5v5 can play whichever they want.

Maybe some people will even switch between both.

Oh wait…that makes way too much sense and was what we already had.

Instead…let’s just make everybody play 5v5…fewer people will play…the games will never start off fair…and most certainly they will never end fair or with a close score.

I challenge ANYONE to play 2 games in a row of hotjoin where the score and rosters are even close. Heck…it will take you an hour+ just to get 1 in a row.

Who on earth can objectively say hotjoins are better now than before? I need to smoke what you are smoking if you think it’s better now.

in PvP

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

I’m just guessing

Devs are not into zerg fest in spvp. They made it 5 v 5 only… So new players can practice before going in Queue matches.

You could just go wvw for zerg fest though … unless you are here for rewards only ….

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Why don’t they have both 8v8 and 5v5…so that those who like 8v8 and those who like 5v5 can play whichever they want.

it was like that, and everything worked fine, until they decided to break it.

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

it was like that, and everything worked fine, until they decided to break it.

it did not work fine.
the issue with this situation was 8v8 being default map and therefore teaching/forcing the wrong gameplay regarding new players.
community pointed it out but never mentioned 8v8 has to be gone as regular map though, just as default.

my suggestion was, and i still believe its legit, to keep 8v8 as standard-hotjoin (because the format of hot-joining needs more spaces than aimed max-team-size) implement a non-rated teamQ (possibility to join as 1-5 man-teams) as standard arena and lead newbs directly after tutorial to this (assuming there is a proper tutorial)

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: Saladin.6183

Saladin.6183

/signed

I play this game only to spvp; the living story was stupid, I don’t enjoy the pve anymore, and I couldn’t care less about tpvp.

It’s getting to the point that I may have to find another game to play because almost every 5v5 I encounter is terribly unbalanced, and I spend more time looking for a “good” game to pvp in than I actually play this game.

But realistically, nothing is going to happen. We all know ANet is doing this to promote their tpvp. If they can’t convince us to participate, they’ll force us to. This game is no longer for the player, but for the developers/publishers.

in PvP

Vieteriukko.6075

Even so small change as making it impossible to change sides after connected to a server would make a difference.

If one has friends that he/she wants to be on same side then just go play TPVP.

There are lots of us who like it casually and dislike to be forced into ranked matches. 8v8 or 5v5 – I don’t mind as long as you can’t pick your sizes but need to do your best for your current team. 8v8 was good because game didn’t get derailed if it was 8v7 or even 8v6.

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

If I set up an open 8v8 custom arena on EU, who here would help me pay for time?

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

If you guys can pay for the time I will pay for the starter kits. We can all decide on rotations, special rules TDM etc.

Or is this just empty forum QQ?

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Vieteriukko.6075

With all respect to your offer I prefer the broken system fixed. I do support Anet by buying gems once in a while but this is something that I rather change a game than pay the fix from my pocket.

I don’t like to be pushed into bad gaming experience and then fixing that by cash even if administration wanted that.

in PvP

Posted by: Saladin.6183

Saladin.6183

With all respect to your offer I prefer the broken system fixed. I do support Anet by buying gems once in a while but this is something that I rather change a game than pay the fix from my pocket.

I don’t like to be pushed into bad gaming experience and then fixing that by cash even if administration wanted that.

I agree. And lets not forget that this was a service that ANet provided and then took away. As far as I’m concerned, this is very bad business practice. They notice that one of their services are very popular, so they remove it and make it a cash only service. Bad on you ANet.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I cant believe they removed 8v8 as well. 8v8 is more for the fun factor, and when I play hotjoins I like to play for fun, this 5v5 you find this in tpvp, and everyone is intense and its not fun when everyone is tensed up. You could also screw around in 8v8, in 5v5 if your caught someplace else and not doing what your suppose to do… Those tense people start yelling at you.

You know maps like raid of Capricorn, that’s a fun map its still in hotjoins. That map is meant to have fun on, as in not fighting on points, using the cannon, fighting in the most random spots. That’s an 8v8 map not some 5v5 map.

These developers, need to stop changing the stuff that is perfectly fine. Listen to this, ‘If it aint broke, don’t mess with it’.

We could be seeing new maps by now, better pvp rewards (another thing I’m mad about…. They took away my 18 slot pvp bags, I’m bear rank I’m suppose to get 20 slots now).

Ever since I came back since sep 2013 a lot of things changed… The stuff that was working perfectly fine changed.. Stuff they talked about in sotg like saving your pvp builds, I don’t see any of that. Stuff like new/ better tournament systems, I don’t see any of that. Stuff like better things to spend glory on, I don’t see any of that. Stuff like new maps, I don’t see any of that.

Only things I see are stuff that nobody asked for back then, people wanted better things to spend glory on, not glory removed. I don’t remember anyone asking for pvp ranks to be obtainable in months, they must have listened to some PvE’er for that idea. I don’t see any new maps either, this map courtyard must be some special map because I don’t see it anywhere. And 10v10, 8v8 all gone because this new easymode pvp system. Hearts of mist empty now because a lot of the vendors are gone. I still pvp against the same people, so don’t tell me that it has more people playing it. When I que solo q, I get matches with same people, sometimes people that trash talked my teammates end up on the same team. PvP has changed for the worst in my opinion. Reward track is okay, but everything else, stupid decisions they made. Who decided to hide rank from end match pvp is pretty dumb too, all your doing is hiding up stuff to make it seem like teams are even, even though they aren’t.

in PvP

Phaeton.9582

I agree. And lets not forget that this was a service that ANet provided and then took away. As far as I’m concerned, this is very bad business practice. They notice that one of their services are very popular, so they remove it and make it a cash only service. Bad on you ANet.

…but you pay with gold now, so between 20 people you could keep it running for almost nothing.

Note that I am a tpvper, and have been from launch. I’m just saying that with a bit of support there’s a solution to this.

More importantly it’s worth noting that, regardless of how much money they throw into pvp development, sooner or later it will take members of the community to show some initiative to set things up. That’s why the ‘administration’ changed the time tokens to cost gold.

ESL has already shown 4-5 people are capable of setting up 95% of the EU scene.

Imagine if we could push that to 40-50 people, and encompass all styles of play, including the ultra-casuals.

Phaatonn, London UK

(edited by Phaeton.9582)

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

No you can’t have 8v8 back. It was considered too much fun and so it needed to be removed from the game.