Counterplay redisign idea to fire/air sigils

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

We’ve all seen it…, ever since the sigil rework someone will get a lucky fire/air double proc off a skill that does negligible damage, and suddenly 70dmg, turned into 3k. This is NOT ok by any stretch of the imagination.

I suggest these types of sigils (fire, air, blood) be reworked to the following (or something along the lines of the following), for more skillful play:

• Change behavior from % chance on crit to 100 % chance on hit.
  • On proc, deal damage equal to (x)% of damage deal by the skill that triggered the effect.
    • ie. Suppose I hit a Larcenous Strike on a target and it hits (crit) for 3k. Let my air sigil deal an additional 25% (this can be any other number, devs deem balanced (Kappa)). My fire sigil deal AoE damage =to 7% of dmg dealt. Etc… This means in total (if i double procced fire/air with this Larcenous) i should hit a single target for 3k + 750 + 210. Total single target dmg = 3,960.
    • IF on the other hand, I hit a Black Powder and it hits (non-crit) for 150. My air+fire sigils should only hit for (38+11=49) => total dmg = 199.
  • Add tooltip indicator when these sigils are available to proc.
    • If I attack while my sigils are up (not on ICD), and the attack is blocked or blinded (NOT evaded), both sigils are consumed and placed on ICD without proccing.
  • Normalize the ICD, they should all be 3s ICD.
    • If these sigil effects had their damage balanced, there would be no harm in normalizing the cooldowns, making it easier for the player (and enemies) to keep track of procs.

Hopefully this is clear and concise.

My goal is to eventually have more skilled play involved when it comes to runes and sigils, rather than luck (or RNG), define the outcome of fights.
Ie. It takes an intelligent player to maximize the utility he gets from his sigils. And an intelligent player to counterplay his opponent’s moves

(edited by Acandis.3250)

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Wouldn’t it be easier to just change the fire sigil to be allowed to crit and either remove air entirely or redesign its function to something entirely different?

in PvP

Acandis.3250

Wouldn’t it be easier to just change the fire sigil to be allowed to crit and either remove air entirely or redesign its function to something entirely different?

And what would that accomplish?

in PvP

Atherakhia.4086

And what would that accomplish?

Removes the ability to have double procs and rewards critical chance/crit dmg dedication.

[edit…] Actually just realized air couldn’t crit. Could have sworn air crit and was single target and fire was AE but couldn’t crit. So yea, just remove air entirely then.

(edited by Atherakhia.4086)

in PvP

Acandis.3250

Removes the ability to have double procs and rewards critical chance/crit dmg dedication.

So then we could just equip any other sigil that isn’t Air (in your new version of the game) and still get double procs.

The point of this idea isn’t to get rid of double procs, but rather to balance and add counterplay mechanics to the existing system.

in PvP

Atherakhia.4086

So then we could just equip any other sigil that isn’t Air (in your new version of the game) and still get double procs.

The point of this idea isn’t to get rid of double procs, but rather to balance and add counterplay mechanics to the existing system.

Well your first paragraph says the root problem is the combined burst from both. Instead of going nuts with some elaborate change, why not approach the issue more straight forward?

Burst too high? Reduce burst…

Not everything in this game requires some elaborate list of counters. Sometimes RNG is a reasonable answer.

in PvP

Acandis.3250

Well your first paragraph says the root problem is the combined burst from both. Instead of going nuts with some elaborate change, why not approach the issue more straight forward?

Burst too high? Reduce burst…

Not everything in this game requires some elaborate list of counters. Sometimes RNG is a reasonable answer.

My firsts paragraph lists one of the reasons the current system is flawed.

Look at it from any other angle where critting witha skill that hits for negligible amounts triggers a single proc to add ~1k dmg (or more).

My thesis here isn’t “burst is bad for the game.” It’s: “non-telegraphed burst is bad for the game.

I can see why that may be unclear, so I’ll have to edit my OP a bit to clarify.

In any case, reducing the burst of these sigils will either a) overnerf them, or do nothing at all (because adding obscene amounts of damage without telegraph is unhealthy).

And yes, sometimes RNG is good, but this is really really not one of those cases.

in PvP

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

i never liked how devs make these sigils RNG based of random crits

i literally got bursted down by a headshot as it proced air and fire.

in PvP

Posted by: glock.6590

glock.6590

Geomancy- doom is also over the top. If doom sigil didint exist, warrior would be in a decent stop right now and D/D ele wouldnt be that strong.

6’4’’ Master Race. I am Above You.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I think a good, practical start would be to make sigil of fire only hit stuff around your actual target (instead of the target itself), and increase the healing from blood, making it no longer do damage. With that change fire, air, and blood each have a unique purpose.

If those changes went through, then maybe they could change Air sigil to be similar to Doom, where it procs on first hit after weapon damage (thinking like 2.5-3k damage, once per swap). Although, I could see this being a problem with classes frontloading damage from stealth…aka mesmer/thief.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

Ya know Acandis, whenever you are done giving ideas for this terrible game that will never come to fruition, you can always join TS, and play ArcheAge.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: shimmerlessEU.6841

shimmerlessEU.6841

Geomancy- doom is also over the top. If doom sigil didint exist, warrior would be in a decent stop right now and D/D ele wouldnt be that strong.

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of Doom either. The poison is longer than a majority of weapon skills.

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

I think a good, practical start would be to make sigil of fire only hit stuff around your actual target (instead of the target itself), and increase the healing from blood, making it no longer do damage. With that change fire, air, and blood each have a unique purpose.

If those changes went through, then maybe they could change Air sigil to be similar to Doom, where it procs on first hit after weapon damage (thinking like 2.5-3k damage, once per swap). Although, I could see this being a problem with classes frontloading damage from stealth…aka mesmer/thief.

Those are actually really good suggestions. That way it completely eliminates double procs, while maintaining Air’s utility for single target burst and Fire’s aoe pressure (not that anyone used Fire for aoe pressure – they just used it to get even more single-target burst, which is supposedly what Air is for).

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

while there would be a drastic decrease in damage over time, wouldnt this benefit strong 1 shot abilities like eviscerate and backstab?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Acandis.3250

while there would be a drastic decrease in damage over time, wouldnt this benefit strong 1 shot abilities like eviscerate and backstab?

Keep in mind the numbers I used are simply placeholders, and not meant to be final.

Though, the point of reworking the sigils is to reward intelligent use of procs, rather than random spam of skills. So a player that just spams skill (with this new proposed system) every time his sigils are up, will—on average—have drastically lower DPS than a player that used his procs in sync with his high burst abilities (ie. Backstab or Eviscerate).

In theory, used skillfully, one shouldn’t see much difference between the current system and the proposed one when sigils are triggered by a high burst skill. But the most important change to note is that, low damage skills won’t be able to hit for +1500% than what they should be.