Custom Arenas April 30th

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: guza.6170

guza.6170

Will the top 50qp players get a free starter kit for custom arenas as a reward or will we have to buy one?

top 50 qp shouldnt have much problems with gems

Thats not the point, and its not like we were geting huge amounts of gems and most of those went for things like character slots. Anyway they said we would get a reward so im asking is it gona be a starter kit, would be kinda nice.

Atleast give it to top 10.

Its a bit sad tho that most of this servers will eventually be hosted by PvE guys just because they have alot of gold and it wont be a problem to buy tokens while the dedicated PvP guys will have to buy it with real money. Dont really understand how anet is making money with gemstore when i see the PvE guys selling items for hundreds of gold, they can easily get anything in it with that.

aka Subl

(edited by guza.6170)

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Zeke Minus.5720

Zeke Minus.5720

Hmm…

If Custom Arenas are replacing hotjoin and they cost money, and hotjoin is free…

This could potentially kill off the population of prospective PvPers that don’t have gems/lots of gold. This will truly make PvP quite a “small town.”

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Hmm…

If Custom Arenas are replacing hotjoin and they cost money, and hotjoin is free…

This could potentially kill off the population of prospective PvPers that don’t have gems/lots of gold. This will truly make PvP quite a “small town.”

It doesn’t cost gems to play on a server, only to own one.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

Hmm…

Im not understanding why it costs money to own one, dota 2 lets you create a custom lobby for free. Why does the ability to restrict who joins your game cost money at all?

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

From what I get hot joins are getting tweaked so you can pick sides. So you can do team vs team. You can own the server to get additional options on that such as password protecting map choosing and the like.
So I think there’s improvements to HJ even outside CA?

The great forum duppy.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Hmm…

Im not understanding why it costs money to own one, dota 2 lets you create a custom lobby for free. Why does the ability to restrict who joins your game cost money at all?

Because ArenaNet must earn money in some way, and this is a great feature, let’s just not hope it’s overpriced.

And what other MMO lets you customize your own arena like this? Not even subscription based MMOs let you do anything with their PvP.

I think it’s alright for ArenaNet to take money from us by releasing such tool.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

I realize custom arenas won’t be enabled for all players until some testing has been done. However, does that transition require a major patch, or can you just flip a switch at any time?

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I realize custom arenas won’t be enabled for all players until some testing has been done. However, does that transition require a major patch, or can you just flip a switch at any time?

There will undoubtedly be fixes and polish tasks generated from beta. These will require a patch.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

I am very dissapointed that I have to pay real money to duel a friend without interruptions, and worse than that I cant duel my friends with my PVE armor, stats or racial abilities…

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

Hmm…

Because ArenaNet must earn money in some way, and this is a great feature, let’s just not hope it’s overpriced.

And what other MMO lets you customize your own arena like this? Not even subscription based MMOs let you do anything with their PvP.

I think it’s alright for ArenaNet to take money from us by releasing such tool.

I agree that they should make money some way, but I would rather it be through something specific like a scepter skin, custom taunt, or SAB finisher rather than something general like a custom lobbyish thing.

And other MMOs not doing it should be a reason for them to follow suit. I would be more compelled to spend money if they didn’t charge for these things. Arenanet should set the example by offering these competitive tools for free, it shouldn’t take another company to do things to grow their scene.

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Zeke Minus.5720

Hmm…

Thanks for the reply.

You’re going on the assumption that there are enough people who are willing to host a server without stipulations, and that this idea will actively sustain the sPvP culture and play of the game. Is this correct?

I understand the decisions behind this kind of idea, and with a larger sPvP crowd, I could see it working. At the end of the day, however, this is going to be based on the idea that there will be members of the community willing to support the sPvP infrastructure, and that if they leave, that’s one less custom arena to play on, and one less reason for others to participate in sPvP.

I understand this feature is in Beta, and love the premise of the concept. I really hope you get the feedback you need to make this an attractively seamless, functional, and utilized feature.

EDIT: To clarify: The idea that, to be able to PvP, someone has to spend money is going against the idea of having a choice of whether or not to spend money (gems) for a feature of the game.

(edited by Zeke Minus.5720)

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

You realize you’re perfectly capable of playing in free tournaments still. The only issue is that a loss affects your ranking, and they have a queue to get into.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Zeke Minus.5720

You realize you’re perfectly capable of playing in free tournaments still. The only issue is that a loss affects your ranking, and they have a queue to get into.

Okay, that’s better.

My concern is mostly centered around the idea that the matches you can simply jump into are going to disappear. tPvP is not something you can normally jump into, it’s more of a team thing which is awesome.

It’s presumptuous to state what will and will not happen with cPvP and whether or not it’s going to take off with the majority of the population, but I hope it does well. It would be wonderful to see what kinds of match types players create, but the monetary barrier is going to be hard to overcome for those who only PvP and do not have a lot of gold.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Neare.9703

Neare.9703

When I saw this update I was hoping for options to turn things like capture points off – therefore turning it into a straight up team deathmatch… =(

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I cannot understand how Anet keeps pushing new content out without fixing the initial content from release.
I am still waiting to NOT accidentally click something when I turn my camera….
That being said I am not surprised that new stuff will be in the TP. Break out yer Visa’s folks!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: DerekUrban.2549

DerekUrban.2549

I’m trying to be excited by this, but I just see so much that makes me weary in it. The cost being the big thing. Maybe it will be cheap, which is cool, but now there’s a huge reason to not bother developing things like duels for the community because “They can be done in Custom Arena’s, pay us and do it there.” As far as I can tell Anet has been pretty quiet about the price of rentals, I’ll be very surprised if it’s less than 1600 gems.

It’s just strange to me that the most important thing to develop for sPvP was something to pad the pockets. PvP players don’t get the chance to make any gold, so more often than not it will have to be cash money to gems. Meanwhile, Paid Tournaments suffered a terrible death because the state of PvP is too abysmal to warrant spending real world cash on. This will be different? Maybe… but either way, it makes me very nervous.

It just seems like a move to monetize PvP rather than improve it.

Devona’s Rest
Kifana – Necromancer
Sabhaille – Ranger

(edited by DerekUrban.2549)

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

I cannot understand how Anet keeps pushing new content out without fixing the initial content from release.
I am still waiting to NOT accidentally click something when I turn my camera….
That being said I am not surprised that new stuff will be in the TP. Break out yer Visa’s folks!

Nobody cares if you waste a target specific skill on a pet because of a bug when the ranger would have been downed otherwise. Who wants fair play?

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

Can these custom arenas host multiple games with the same customization or just one at once?

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

I’m trying to be excited by this, but I just see so much that makes me weary in it. The cost being the big thing. Maybe it will be cheap, which is cool, but now there’s a huge reason to not bother developing things like duels for the community because “They can be done in Custom Arena’s, pay us and do it there.” As far as I can tell Anet has been pretty quiet about the price of rentals, I’ll be very surprised if it’s less than 1600 gems.

It’s just strange to me that the most important thing to develop for sPvP was something to pad the pockets. PvP players don’t get the chance to make any gold, so more often than not it will have to be cash money to gems. Meanwhile, Paid Tournaments suffered a terrible death because the state of PvP is too abysmal to warrant spending real world cash on. This will be different? Maybe… but either way, it makes me very nervous.

It just seems like a move to monetize PvP rather than improve it.

Money grab. That’s all it is. Trying to reach into the pockets of the most loyal pvp players is going to hurt this game even more. I understand that there has to be a way to monetize pvp in order to keep from charging a sub fee, but alienating pvp only players who have no way of getting gems other than buying them from the cash shop (unless they grind for gold in PVE) is not the way to go. That leaves control of the custom arenas to the PVE crowd and guilds. What about the solo players that don’t have time for a team or PVE? There no other game modes to play, hotjoins is a mess, and tournies will just be pug vs premade still. I would’ve just paid a sub fee so that I’ll have something to do other than pug tournies and stand in a circle.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Slagburst.5304

Slagburst.5304

I have played sub based mmo’s for 14 years. All I ever heard was people complain 14.99$ was to much and they should become free to play. I am smirking reading about people complaining that my first buy to play people are still complaining. My 7 year old got a guardian to 80 without ever going higher then a level 25 zone. She makes on average a gold a day just running around doing events and node gathering. And she is almost rank 9 in spvp. Every aspect of this game is made for common gameplay and complaining about a certain aspect is not helping anyone’s side. Everyone knows how buy to play games are with gems. Just wait and see or spend 1 hour a day and level a toon and make money if you are broke.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

make money by giving custom server owners the ability to put up “guild billboards” or a lobby they can cosmetically alter or any number of other pay to use options.

charging people to use basic game functionality that has been available for free in video games for decades points to a very disturbing and unwelcome.change im the industry:

ie: stupid gamers willing to pay for things they are too lazy or uninformed to learn to do themselves.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Such a joke that this costs money. What content do pve players have to pay real money to access? When was the announcement that pvp players would have to pay a monthly fee in this buy to play game? Didn’t you learn anything from the paid tpvp debacle? You need to stop trying to take advantage of the already too small pvp community by forcing people to pay, and instead fix the game so people actually want to pay for it.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

dunno anet if restricting custom arenas like this(making them cost money) is healthy for the growth of tpvp..

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

i cant believe this how can u guys agree with this? paying for your own custom arena? this is so dumb!

In gw1 they were free, dota 1 and 2 free. sc 1 2 free, lol free and in how many games its free aswel?

I just dont even.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

i cant believe this how can u guys agree with this? paying for your own custom arena? this is so dumb!

In gw1 they were free, dota 1 and 2 free. sc 1 2 free, lol free and in how many games its free aswel?

I just dont even.

I don’t think it has sunk in for a lot of people. This is literally the only game I have seen that charges monthly to gain access to just customer arenas.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

CA were announced to have a cost a long time ago, maybe if you hadnt been living under a rock you’d know it and wouldnt now come all with cheap indignation. CA beeing paid is a good thing, means money flowing in pvp→pvp becomes worth something to ncsoft.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

CA were announced to have a cost a long time ago, maybe if you hadnt been living under a rock you’d know it and wouldnt now come all with cheap indignation. CA beeing paid is a good thing, means money flowing in pvp->pvp becomes worth something to ncsoft.

So if you give a forewarning, it means it is no longer bad? Does this work with everything in life? I feel like you found the biggest life hack ever!

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

nakoda.4213

just to clarify my statement above,

the ability to host your own custom game has been “free” since the advent of on

you technically did not even need a separate pc unless you were a fancy schmamcy clan host or summat like that.

just time and a little bit of RTFM initiative.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

nakoda.4213

furthermore, since this whole business rubs my kitten the wrong way,

if your.counter argument is that mmo servers are different, then charge a one time purchase of a “dedicated server” account, independent of client accounts, and keep your game free to play.

charging for custom servers is not “innovative” it is a blatant cash grab…gems are already over 3g for 100.

there are other things anet could be charging for.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

hey guildies/friends/guys that i just met lets go play all together on the game that we alrdy bougth.. ok wait let me go pay again 10$, or go farm cof for a while so we can play in a match just like we want.

lol….

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Takato.4976

Takato.4976

I don’t understand, PvE players get update after update filled with free content ( lots of free content. )

PvP gets nothing. A few minuscule updates to classes and paid tourneys that were quickly removed due to a “lack of interest”. Almost 9 months in, we finally get what we were told we’d get, awaiting patiently even if we got nothing else during those 9 months. And we have to PAY to use it ?

My mind is absolutely blown at how the pvp players are treated. I understand that monetizing pvp was/is needed. But dear god, add skins or something of value ( cosmetically ) and people flock to that kitten like candy at Halloween. No need to give us bad pvp, and force us to pay to get the good pvp.

Imagine doing that to the PvE crowd ?
“Hey guys ! Sorry for the delay, it’s been a long 9 months but dynamic events/dungeons and medium armor that aren’t trench coats ( oh wait?!? ) are finally in the game ! It’s only going to cost you in order to actually access them. BUT HEY ! AT LEAST YOU CAN PLAY OUR OTHERWISE CRAPPY GAME ANYTIME AFTER INITIAL PURCHASE > : D”

No thanks.

Wanted a solid pvp game to dedicate my time on. Only to be disappointed consistently. Only thing left to find out is how much these are and how long you “rent” them for.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Farm pve to play pvp, lol oh you ANet, oh you.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I am very dissapointed that I have to pay real money to duel a friend without interruptions, and worse than that I cant duel my friends with my PVE armor, stats or racial abilities…

I agree…. PvE armor would be so awesome…

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

im about to blow my kids college savings on custom arenas

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: LegendaryLukeee.1462

LegendaryLukeee.1462

Is it the first 50 people on the QP board that get the beta custom arena access, or top 50? Cause I’m on the borderline :x

Lily | Lukeee
twitch.tv/legendarylukeee

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

im about to blow my kids college savings on custom arenas

Just what Anet’s marketing team wants to hear. Grab your visa and SPEND~!!!!!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

I’ve been waiting for this feature for so long, now we can have 3vs3, 1vs1 or dare I say GvsG battles.
Only problem is that I have to rent a “game” in order to set up 1vs1 game, or any other advanced game.
It’s kinda unfair that I have to use gems to enable advanced game features.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Time to find friends in PvE and milk them. Otherwise ppl in the mists will start spaming “lfg r40+ for cof-p1 speedclear”

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Daala.4258

Daala.4258

sPvP community is already thin and Custom Arenas could bring some life to it. But why do we have to pay gems for it? All sPvP aspects in its core design should be avaible to all players regardless of rank/gems/money. One step forward, two steps backwards….

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

sPvP community is already thin and Custom Arenas could bring some life to it. But why do we have to pay gems for it? All sPvP aspects in its core design should be avaible to all players regardless of rank/gems/money. One step forward, two steps backwards….

It’s the ANET formula man. Don’t question it.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Daala.4258

Daala.4258

But the basic currency in sPvP is glory. Why not make CA glory dependent? This would prevent from creating trash CA, but at the same time encourage to earn more glory = win/win.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

But the basic currency in sPvP is glory. Why not make CA glory dependent? This would prevent from creating trash CA, but at the same time encourage to earn more glory = win/win.

What’s ironic is glory has 0 purpose for anything. Why buy chests when you can basically get everything you need from tournament chests.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Hmm…

Are you certain that relying on players’ generosity is a solid way of promoting pvp?
Especially in an already dwinding community.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Agaetis.4518

Agaetis.4518

I don’t really see the problem with costs associated with hosting a custom arena (CAs). There will be no cost for ppl playing it and to me this compares more to BF3 where ppl/organizations/etc have there own servers with there fixed rules regarding the matches, maps, etc. And ofc there is a cost related to hosting those servers (correct me if Im wrong), but not for the players playing them.

To me it will be a group effort to host these CAs and not for individualas putting up the gold/cash → gems. Dedicated guilds, sites, sponsors should be the one putting up the money and players will aggregate to the best ones with fun rules, rotations, etc. Why would everyone want their own CA which no one finds and plays in?

Just hope that the pvp community can start growing and ppl use these new CAs and spectator mode in a constructive way :-)

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

Okay, that’s better.

My concern is mostly centered around the idea that the matches you can simply jump into are going to disappear. tPvP is not something you can normally jump into, it’s more of a team thing which is awesome.

It’s presumptuous to state what will and will not happen with cPvP and whether or not it’s going to take off with the majority of the population, but I hope it does well. It would be wonderful to see what kinds of match types players create, but the monetary barrier is going to be hard to overcome for those who only PvP and do not have a lot of gold.

I agree 100%.

I genuinely hope that custom arenas do not replace hotjoins. It would be worse for the community.

At least have a few dozen servers available that a-net still runs so players aren’t left to the hands of other players. That’s especially true if you can blacklist/whitelist/password servers.

Otherwise this is gonna do more harm than good. I understand it’s the best way to make a quick buck off all your hard work, but in the long run it’ll strangle for lack of casual and new players thrown into the brutal world of tourneys cuz they got banned for sucking for the 30th time.

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

is definitely a step in the right direction for e-sports and i am happy with the addition of these…

….but ultimately class balance will decide the future of this game as an e-sport

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

This time tokens thing scares me alot…. i smell some big crap there…

Definitely need more info on this too because I’m worried that part of the pvp population will be denied the opportunity to play if they can’t pay.

Denied the opportunity to play if they can’t pay? Who is going to stop you from playing because you can’t pay?

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: nomatter.5198

nomatter.5198

I am pretty sure there will be some people who would like to host public server to promote their website/stream/youtube channel through MoTD.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Agaetis.4518

Agaetis.4518

I am pretty sure there will be some people who would like to host public server to promote their website/stream/youtube channel through MoTD.

And if they are good Im sure they will have adds, sponsors, etc covering the costs for the CA.

Custom Arenas April 30th

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

This game is without montly subscription. Paying once for a custom server is ok.