GW2 PVP Feedback [Merged Topics]

in PvP

Posted by: Chriswck.6490

Chriswck.6490

Perhaps most of us are suffering from the post-honeymoon effect, that our susceptible brains just can’t help comparing what GW2 was like when it first came out, period of which good impressions were naturally overblown.

Still, the great landscape and town designs and attention to details, numerous live updates and patches post-release, and among the many other things that genuinely shows that Anet cares every bit about the game never ceases to impress me.

If there is any takeaway, every second and every penny spent on this game was well worth more than what I gave.

So, Anet, come on! Just one last, or two, stretch!

in PvP

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

I would like to at least see the average rank of players in a room so I don’t join newbie rooms blindly when I’m rank 30+. All for improved matchmaking, on the flipside, it’s lonely at the top, what do you do with those rank 40+ players who just wanna spvp sometimes?

Random team tournies is cute and all but it would just make more sense to make Spvp 5v5 down from 8v8, and just make tournies team only. Then improve free tournament rewards.

On rewards: people who feel they are not adequate, what do you suggest or actually think is wrong with them? Saying they are not enough doesn’t exactly help solve the problem. Personally, I think rare dye, random pve exotics would work as a way to help boost the rewards as well as give people a way to make some gold from pvp’ing.

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

Random team tournies is cute and all but it would just make more sense to make Spvp 5v5 down from 8v8, and just make tournies team only. Then improve free tournament rewards.

Yes, but then who will play paid tournaments?

its good idea and would work nicely. but still doesnt solve the issue with paid tournaments

in PvP

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

The game as a whole is fine, for the most part, due to wvw and pve.
The structured pvp is severeley lacking.

Three simple points:

1) sPvP(8v8) and tPvP(5v5) are completely different formats. Just like in gw1 at launch, random arenas(4v4), hall of heroes(8v8), and GvG(8v8) were different formats.

2) tPvP is plagued with Pug v Premade problems. No, form a premade is not the answer. What does a player do when their friends/guildies are offline/doing something else and they want to tPvp? No, join a pug and get stomped by a premade is not the answer.

3) sPvP is pretty fubar. Many of the maps do not handle 16 players well. Even if you think they do handle 16 players well, they handle 10 players much, much better.

Honestly, #2 is mind boggling for me. The same devs in guildwars 1 recognized the same exact problem and headed it off by having 4v4 Random Arenas (Pug v Pug only) and 4v4 Team arenas (Premade or Pug).

Currently there is no 5v5 pug v pug format. Structured pvp is much more enjoyable with 10 players a map compared to 16 players a map (imo). The solution is simple. Create an spvp format capped at 5v5. Make it an exact copy and paste of 8v8 spvp in all other paramaters. How hard can this be?

(edited by PotatoOverdose.6583)

in PvP

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

Honestly, #2 is mind boggling for me. The same devs in guildwars 1 recognized the same exact problem and headed it off by having 4v4 Random Arenas (Pug v Pug only) and 4v4 Team arenas (Premade or Pug).

Exactly, lol. There are so many problems in GW2, that (supposedly) the very same devs realized and managed perfectly in GW1. Why make such amateur mistakes in GW2. It is indeed mind boggling… :S

These are the very same mistakes, that made me call all other MMOs amateur work when it came to pvp and comparing them to GW1…

Really sad stuff…

in PvP

Posted by: Wooyadeen.6491

Wooyadeen.6491

In my humble opinion the best quick-fix for the whole problem would be to introduce single/duo queue free tournaments (or just single games) with a strong matchmaking mechanic.

Best regards Pray

Great post and this part is a great idea. Simple, quick solution while they iron out a good ladder system. This way, queues will still be somewhat quick since many many people queue solo or with 1 other friend, and you won’t have to get throat punched in Khylo anymore!

You can already do this.

Cheers.

insert random rant along with the hint that mocking your community while disregarding/misinterpreting a constructive post is kind of antisocial behaviour

No, you can not already do this.

Speaking of misinterpretation, everyone here must have. He is telling you, you can que for free tournaments by yourself, I do it all the time.

You can pug free tournaments.

Pug free tournaments.

Both of you (John and EoNxBoNx) should read again, and if you do not understand, read again and again (until you start to realize what we are discussing here).

Yes we all know that we can solo queue and play free tournament, and believe me that is the main reason for this thread.

So, if you still did not understand us, I do not think you’ll ever figure it out, so im gona try to sum all this in just few words:

- Please separate full teams from pugs, and add some kind of intelligent match making system (that is what ruining this game atm, besides of already known bugs and disbalance).

- There is no fun at all (on both sides) whenyou face pug against well armed and coordinated team.
(no one will learn anything (because of too big skill difference))
p.s. I and four of my friends have bought this game on the first pre-purchase day. Is it necessary to say that they are all gone (disappointed) to play something else (mostly WoW )?

Moderator edit: removed excess caps

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

If I play GW2 I mostly play WvW. I never really got in sPvP. One of the reasons might be that I do not have enough friends playing GW2 PvP. And as a random playing sPvP is a nightmare for reasons mentioned above.

On top of this I feel that GW2’s current state of PvP balancing is not that great. Either you go bunker or you go glass canon pew pew. Especially in WvW people are dying so quickly it’s not fun at all. It feels like an FPS game where everyone runs around with a shotgun or a sniper gun, lol. However! In a FPS game I can shoot back. In GW2 only if you’re playing the right class …

And speaking of FPS games: I currently participate in the Planetside 2 beta. I am really sorry, but PS2 is so much more fun (at least for me). Mind you, PS2 has lots of issues right now. But the fun factor is great already. And, sorry again, PS2 doesn’t suffer from those nasty culling issues. I really wonder how they do this …

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

As someone that began PvPing in about the last 1-2 weeks and most of the time not having a group with my I can totally speak for the scenario described by OP.

The game is fun when playd as a 5vs5 and the maps are imo actually rather well desingend. However 8vs8 instantly removes all tactics and strategy and makes it random zerging. You could aswell throw a dice to determine the winning team. Remove 8vs8 servers!

Also it is a HUGE problem that the current matchmaking does NOT estimate the strenght of players/teams in any way beside being a turney system and thus directly promote the winner of each round. That is just not enough for nomal play. It is making things complicated and hard to experience for no reason. I can only repeat OP.

Make a single game queue system and actually try to implement matchmaking that balances out teamstrength:

• player level (much better: elo, but first will buy you some time if it is too hard to implement yet)
  • premade combos (dont match 1+1+1+1+1 vs 5)

For single games it wouldn’t be too hard to find fitting teams to play the round (or even 3 rounds). For a turney your current system is fine but …. this should be for turneys and not the main competition mode.

PLEASE do a soloqueue I beg you and also create a ladder that people can relate to.

And do it rather sooner than later. I saw alot of people that wanted gw2 esport to be big stream and even cast but they get less everyday and from the people that continue you can hear the frustration.

in PvP

Posted by: GHCScorpion.4610

GHCScorpion.4610

Great post, sadly no great response.

I also do miss the GW1 arena, where you didnt have to play a conquest game (i hate those) but instead simply competed against another team (there were also arenas with some sort of capture the flag but it was bearable)

What isn#t working either is the lack of a dedicated healer. GW1 had Monk and Ritualists as heavy healers, which were badly needed for competitive gameplay.

I dont know why they moved away from the things that worked and threw them out of the window.

What isn’t working is what we have now and the lack of communication is not working either.

I haven’t had high hopes for the game itself, instead i believed that ANet would manage to deliver a game that would keep me hooked for another 4 to 5 years (played GW1 that long). Instead i didnt even manage to finish the PVE part (sorry but everything after claw island is not even worth being called storyline) and PVP is thanks to the lack of ladder(s) and (having played thief and mesmer myself) the ability of multiple classes to go invisible (still dont know why they brought that kitteny mechanic into the game) for several seconds already an abomination. Add to that the fact that there are no effective healers/supporters (who needs that stuff in conquest anyway cough) and you get what we have now.

Its boring for me – simple as that (of course all of the above is only my personal opinion and does in no way reflect the opinion of the community)

Well, there i went and ranted for the first time in my life.

Wish you all a good day, have fun and /bye

in PvP

Posted by: Paracidic.5821

Paracidic.5821

For all of the people claiming that there is no system for single-queuing players, you are wrong. It may not be perfect yet, but have you ever noticed that when you queue with your guild you get matched up with other guilds? When you queue solo you usually get matched up with pugs and maybe one or two premades?

The problem is that there aren’t enough teams running all the time to fit enough teams for premade and pick up matches, so they sometimes have to combine the two together.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyrkle.5814

Cyrkle.5814

Pretty good post…

The pvp itself is the best in any mmo out there right now, even with some of the balance flaws that still need to be fixed.

That being said I do wish they could address the extremely varied skill lvls that are found in frees (and even paids). If I solo que in free tourneys I could be matched with people anywhere from rank 1-40 and against full teams and everything inbetween.

I know they want paids to be for the super srs tryhard teams and frees to be a mixup of everything, but I just wish they could even out the matchmaking a little to make it more enjoyable for new players and just players overall that are maybe solo queuing.

This game has such potential, just gotta wait for the pvp features to be added to make it a truly great pvp game.

in PvP

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

Pretty good post…

The pvp itself is the best in any mmo out there right now, even with some of the balance flaws that still need to be fixed.

That being said I do wish they could address the extremely varied skill lvls that are found in frees (and even paids). If I solo que in free tourneys I could be matched with people anywhere from rank 1-40 and against full teams and everything inbetween.

I know they want paids to be for the super srs tryhard teams and frees to be a mixup of everything, but I just wish they could even out the matchmaking a little to make it more enjoyable for new players and just players overall that are maybe solo queuing.

This game has such potential, just gotta wait for the pvp features to be added to make it a truly great pvp game.

fully agree… +1

in PvP

Posted by: Pray.9751

Pray.9751

For all of the people claiming that there is no system for single-queuing players, you are wrong. It may not be perfect yet, but have you ever noticed that when you queue with your guild you get matched up with other guilds? When you queue solo you usually get matched up with pugs and maybe one or two premades?

The problem is that there aren’t enough teams running all the time to fit enough teams for premade and pick up matches, so they sometimes have to combine the two together.

That is simply a wrong statement entirely. There is no form of matchmaking in either paid or free tournaments atm. The first 8 teams that enter the queue will be thrown into a tournament, period.

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Currently there is no 5v5 pug v pug format. Structured pvp is much more enjoyable with 10 players a map compared to 16 players a map (imo). The solution is simple. Create an spvp format capped at 5v5. Make it an exact copy and paste of 8v8 spvp in all other paramaters. How hard can this be?

I really think this stuff will be added shortly. I was genuinely surprised irt was not set up like this at release.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

Posted by: Fed.8594

Fed.8594

I am shocked by the Dev response in this thread. There does not seem to be any acknowledgement of the excellent points made in Pray’s post. You should realise that the folks posting care for the game, they would not post if they didn’t…. a lot of peeps, (e.g. 5/7 RL friends) have just stopped playing without a post.

Since GW2 is not sub based you don’t have the automatic feedback that comes from cancelled subs but I am sure your Tpvp population statistics would prove that less people are playing.

I would advise that Anet do not further alienate supporters by making very limited posts that also suggest they do know understand or care about the problems highlighted.

in PvP

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

From what I can tell spvp is 8v8 to make it more friendly to casual players. Because there are more people the individual skill of any one player is offset by the sheer number of players in game. This makes it easier to get into as a new player because even if you’re inexperienced you have more people to work with to accomplish a victory. Having matches be 5v5 would mean that more experienced players and the random partial pre-mades that are found in spvp would cause the same randoms-get-stomped effect you find in tpvp at times. If it was 5v5 you would have to take some hard precautions against team stacking, as well as have strong matchmaker.

The reason for no current ladder/alternate ranking system other than rank would probably be; how would you do it? Since the game mode is control points using both K/D and even points would be worthless as metrics as you can have low either and still be doing the right thing. Having a metric based on win rate, weighted by rank could work, but the issue there is that newer players would have a far harder time progressing than established players who know what they are doing. Rank is nice at the moment because it’s time played so you know that at least a player has experience.

I’m kinda surprised at responses to John’s post, none of you seemed to consider that maybe this was given a glance at an off moment of spare time? Or that yes, being clear and specific about what you actually want (tournaments were everyone is on a random team) is important to communicate. Sure we as the players are on a similar page, but that doesn’t mean the developers always understand the players. Last I checked they were looking into finding a way to have the random or smaller pre-mades matched up against each other.

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

As several threads like the excellent one made by Pray have pointed out, it has become very apparent that there has been a major drop-off in the interest in s/tPvP.

Paid tournaments are seeing long queue times even during peak hours, and there seems to be a dwindling number of teams that are taking the game seriously anymore.

There are several reasons for this:

- Stagnant, uninteresting play (bunker guardian, tp mesmer in every comp, few viable builds overall)
- Limited options for solo players
- New or pickup teams have no consistent way to play against other evenly skilled opponents
- The ticket system is placing a barrier in front of people who may actually want to try to find consistent arranged opponents
- tPvP is missing many basic features that even GW1 released with 7 years ago

I elaborate on these points in the following video.
http://youtu.be/jvXDv70-6Gg

The actual combat mechanics and gameplay are very good, but this system currently in place is not fostering a healthy growing competitive community.

It is my hope that posts and videos like this will spur Anet to take immediate action to save the competitive side of their game as we are dangerously close to losing the critical mass of players that is necessary to sustain competitive sPvP.

QPs Post:

Based on the qualifier point post made yesterday there are ~70 players with 5 points or more which equals 14 teams that have had any sort of consistency if the list is accurate.

That isn’t enough to run 2 fully competitive tournaments at once. If you look at the number of people who have more than 20 points and probably win / farm newer teams consistently, it looks like around 4 teams which can even run 1.

These are Anets own numbers, and should in my view be a red flag for people who would like to see a healthy scene.

in PvP

Posted by: Rythgar.2896

Rythgar.2896

Last I checked they were looking into finding a way to have the random or smaller pre-mades matched up against each other.

This is likely yes, since I still hold some kind of hope that Anet actually do know what they do (no matter what they have shown so far).

But where can you find this actually being stated or even hinted at? The communication from Anet to the community is just horribly disappointing.

In my opinion Anet have gotten their communications all backwards.
What they have done is: They told us oh so much about how awesome the game would be, and what sweet sweet features Would be in it. But then did not deliver on it, and is now all shush shush about what they are working on.
What they should have done: Actually kept their mouths shut a bit more pre-release, not hyping the game so much. And when the game did come out and was found Oh so very lacking, Then they could open their mouths and “hype” the things coming/they are working on.

And what people have already posted about that I want to agree with is the kinda mind-boggling fact that they did a great work with GW1 PvP, but then just (seemingly) threw all that experience away and went and did the complete opposite for GW2.
Sure, I understand that they didn’t just want to make a GW1 sequel, but a new game. But when it isn’t broken, then don’t fix it! They could easily have added new features like weapon swapping and downed state but still keep the “good” things like their PvP formats and tournament structure etc.

in PvP

Posted by: Tomahorc.9607

Tomahorc.9607

In my humble opinion the best quick-fix for the whole problem would be to introduce single/duo queue free tournaments (or just single games) with a strong matchmaking mechanic.

Best regards Pray

Best regards Pray

Great post and this part is a great idea. Simple, quick solution while they iron out a good ladder system. This way, queues will still be somewhat quick since many many people queue solo or with 1 other friend, and you won’t have to get throat punched in Khylo anymore!

You can already do this.

Cheers.

Please do tell where the strong matchmaking mechanic is, and how to activate it.

Cheers.

(edited by Tomahorc.9607)

in PvP

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

I agree with your two points, I think the former is to be expected from a fairly new game (gw1 wasn’t perfectly balanced either and had fotm builds) but sure enough ANet kind of dropped the ball by not having a sort of ranking to promote healthy competition.

I’m normally a pvp fanatic and thouroughly enjoy some good competition. I never really got into GW1 competition because the random arena system promoted one or more succesful teams stomping on the less balanced/lower skilled new teams. I’m sad this problem is making a return and is perhaps even more problematic now in GW2.

In fact despite really enjoying pvp I’ve avoided it so far, knowing full well I’m best off learning as much I can before even trying to compete. It would be way better if I knew I would be matched with and against more equal skilled players instead.

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

How long are people willing to wait if they split queues into full pre-mades and non-full (you can’t only have single/duo queues, it will be 1 player through 4 players or 5 players)? How long do you already wait?

Also, if people are holding Jon to a certain level of professionalism, it’s only fair to hold everyone else to the same. He’s wrong via misinterpretation (and I think he should apologize, but that’s just how I handle things), but getting your jollies off of “calling the ANet guy out” doesn’t help the conversation, either.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: admiralnlson.2380

admiralnlson.2380

I played GW1 for years and its PvP was awesome.
But GW2 is just seriously lacking in sPvP features, modes and maps. It doesn’t feel much more than an afterthought right now.
Not to mention the RNG rewards which do not entice me to participate at all. Actually I find there is just too much RNG in GW2 in general (PvP and PvE). I’m getting sick of all these worthless chests.

Hopefully ANet will pick up the pieces and make something out of the current mess in sPvP.
A review of the current systems and the introduction of guild halls/GvG (or at least other PvP modes) could save the PvP scene but it has to arrive very soon…

(edited by admiralnlson.2380)

in PvP

Posted by: DalzK.9086

DalzK.9086

Nice video, but you really do repeat yourself and drag on some simple points which makes it quite boring to hear till the end….

Still, one of the comments on youtube I find quite interesting. At the moment the only competitive system are ‘tournaments’. This means you usually need at least 40 mins, sometimes longer, if you want to play a competitive match all at once. And you can’t leave halfway through. It also requires 40 people all queueing up at the same time, which leads to boring waits and just isn’t practical.

Why can’t we just have single competitive matches? This would mean queues would be virtually non-existent as only 10 people would be required at one time, and people wouldn’t have to play 40 minutes at a time just to get a competitive match in.

in PvP

Posted by: ShRNA.4376

ShRNA.4376

How long are people willing to wait if they split queues into full pre-mades and non-full (you can’t only have single/duo queues, it will be 1 player through 4 players or 5 players)? How long do you already wait?

Also, if people are holding Jon to a certain level of professionalism, it’s only fair to hold everyone else to the same. He’s wrong via misinterpretation (and I think he should apologize, but that’s just how I handle things), but getting your jollies off of “calling the ANet guy out” doesn’t help the conversation, either.

Random Arena in GW1 has 30 sec Queue. Even right now.
You only need 5 × 2 =10 people to click Queue to start a non-premade ladder game. You need only 2 teams to start a premade ladder game. The whole tournament thing is silly. You need 5 X 8 = 40 people or 8 whole teams to start a tournament.
Just split solo queue and premade-queue ladder games, like pretty much every other games are doing. It is fine even without match making. People will be interested to join and there will be no long queue.

in PvP

Posted by: admiralnlson.2380

admiralnlson.2380

It’s not exactly fair to compare queue times for tourneys in GW2 with RA from GW1. You’d have to compare it with Team Arena/Codex Arena I think.

Although, I’m not denying that the situation of GW2 PvP is disastrous right now, for such a young game.

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Mostly agree with every point made in video, I am actually afraid that the poor (actually VERY poor) development on PvP can kill this game – almost nothing was added from the first beta, everything aimed towards pve crowd. With such good mechanics ingame, no healers, all have equal gear, all have to block/dodge themselves, not some kind of % from stats, varied classes, its insane how poorly they handle pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Hid.7890

Hid.7890

I was GM of a pretty large PvP guild and I already abandoned ship on GW2. The single factor that ruined PvP for me was the downed state. Why put a mechanic in competitive PvP where players can resurrect their teammates once they die? Also, the players come back to life with half HP and no penalties for dieing. It makes killing people 10x less satisfying, and 100x more frustrating. P.S. the only reason I do PvP is to kill people.

GM of Pve is too hard

in PvP

Posted by: Rythgar.2896

Rythgar.2896

You only need 5 × 2 =10 people to click Queue to start a non-premade ladder game. You need only 2 teams to start a premade ladder game. The whole tournament thing is silly. You need 5 X 8 = 40 people or 8 whole teams to start a tournament.
Just split solo queue and premade-queue ladder games, like pretty much every other games are doing. It is fine even without match making. People will be interested to join and there will be no long queue.

I do agree somewhat here. I like the idea about tournaments a lot, but they should not have started with it. They should have started with a Ladder system with a match making system.
The queues might not have been a lot better, but the competition would have been a lot more even.

The problem with your (ShRNA) idea is that sure you only need 9 other people or 1 other team to queue up to start a match, But it would need to be players around your skill/placement in the ladder. But as I’ve mentioned, the competition would be a lot more even and the experience would be a lot more fun and educational.

in PvP

Posted by: Infinitus.3712

Infinitus.3712

5204 thread views , 122 posts , 1 Dev response which included 6 words, this is an issue that the majority of the pvp community see as an issue I would like to see alot more red in this thread with response to the vaild and great suggestions that have been made.

Infi TV- Engineer for Genesis Gaming [GG]
http://www.twitch.tv/infintitus
https://twitter.com/infinitustv -[Desolation EU]

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Sorry, I totally misread that. As many of you have stated, I thought you were asking for the ability to PUG in free paid tourneys, which is what I responded to. Sorry for that. I was coming from one meeting, going to another, and tried to quickly get on the forums to at least read/post something. I apologize.

It’s not that we don’t care, is that’s we’re really busy adding things to the game. Custom Arenas are the current focus for my team. A fully 100% random tourney system (where all teams are random and no teams are an organized 5-person team) is something we can look at down the road, but I think there are many other things that are more important to get finished first (which I spoke about in my blog).

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding, and I’m heading out to another meeting.

More cheers,

J

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: Infinitus.3712

Infinitus.3712

I must use my powers for good.

In seriousness thanks for the response!

Infi TV- Engineer for Genesis Gaming [GG]
http://www.twitch.tv/infintitus
https://twitter.com/infinitustv -[Desolation EU]

in PvP

samo.1054

Good video. 100% truth… Sad truth… I hope Anet staff take a look at it and ponder about it deeply.

Many things in this Spvp system are so senseless, you can stay speechless when you try to point out how stupid it’s actually made. Especially when you consider, that it was supposedly developed by the same people that once made GW1 and totally hit the spot with the very same things…

Oh well…

I too am slowly fading away from the game, sPvP was the only thing I was interested in anyway. I’m waiting for the november patch, but I fear I’m just going to have a cynical, dismissing smile on my face when I read the patch notes considering sPvP. And I’m pretty sure the PvE side of the patch notes and the content update on PvE will be quite significant… Sadly.

(edited by samo.1054)

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

I would just like to point out that isn’t that there are only “10 teams taking it seriously” it is that the skill gaps are pretty large between teams that are winning the qps and teams that faceroll free tournies but lose in the first round of paids nearly every time. People don’t enjoy getting stomped and they enjoy it even less when they have to spend a currency and extra time just to end up against far superior opposition in paids.

This goes back to what many people have stated, putting a money sink in the only competitive tournament system is going to cannibalize the community rather than expand it.

in PvP

Posted by: fiesta.3964

fiesta.3964

No, theres nothing more important to fix Premades vs Pugs problem. Even your custom arena(server), well, i guess this one is the most important for Anet, cuz youre going to make money out of it. But yeah, premades vs pugs is actually one of the most important thing to fix.

in PvP

Posted by: MuteClown.2845

MuteClown.2845

I think every sPVPer feels like we are being punished for wanting to sPVP. One thing that i think wont take much effort on behalf of the devs, but will create a major boost for the competitive player, is a private tournament system. This allows the players to actually hold events and matches in a fairly controlled manor, without having to create a whole new feature like private rooms. It can work just like the tournament system that is already in place, but use an invite system to create the list of 8 teams.

I’d rather not see an official ladder implemented in GW2, but rather allow the leagues to do this instead. One thing i don’t want to see in the game is, new players that are actually good, being punished for not have started playing the game earlier. This really doesn’t matter for me, but is does matter if we are to maintain a growth in competitive players coming into the game. If a ladder did become present for it to be reset every couple of months.

in PvP

Posted by: Payneful.7934

Payneful.7934

I completely agree with everything in the video.

Payne [PTC] Thief
Pancakes To Celebrate

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I understand its not as simple as this but why can’t the format of MOBAs be copied. They are insanely successful and it sure a kitten isnt the community because they have the worst of any game. The success comes from low cost (which you cant compete with) AND an easy matchmaking system that places people AT ALL LEVELS against equal competition, spvp is dying for the EXACT reason BLC died. Way too much stratification in player skill levels.

Also as an MMO, most people want to pvp with the gear they earned rather than a straight arcade style system like spvp.

in PvP

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

Best regards Pray

You can already do this.

Cheers.

But the game do nothing to teach players about that, and many other things. Just add the button “Play Now” and “Play Tournament Now” somewhere in the game interface, like in the PvP window, so you can quickly play normal and tournament immediately, even being on PvE and WvW.

(edited by NeHoMaR.9812)

in PvP

Posted by: Nord.5360

Nord.5360

Agree with the video in its entirety. Like someone else mentioned above, I really do like the idea of ‘competitive matches’ rather than ‘competitive tournaments’. Sitting around waiting for 8 teams just to play one tournament is absolutely destroying the queue times for paid tournaments.

Grouch

in PvP

Posted by: skoa.7964

skoa.7964

So we have to wait half an year for the most important fix to separate teams vs solo q for
free and paid tournament.

No ladders
No small trait bug fixes (if something gets fixed another skill gets broken)
No balance fixes (bunker guardian and thief burst)

It seems your pvp team have some another focus for this game since you not listen to your player base or its to small and you have some real financial problems.

in PvP

Posted by: Gugus.1462

Gugus.1462

It’s sad, but you are right. I didn’t get to disagree even one time.
After playing GW2 PvP I probably couldn’t go back to WoW PvP, just like drinking good beer makes you never want to go back to drinking Bud light (even though you’ve once enjoyed it)… so please ArenaNet, don’t ruin this for me.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

in PvP

Posted by: Alekto.8297

Alekto.8297

Hello guys,
I so so so … SO agree with the OP… game is 2 month old and as a PvP lover im just already bored… sigh, yesterday night, i found myself playing LoL again! WTF dude, GW2 is finally here, ive waited it for like 4 years!!!

Here is a sure thing : something is wrong, u Anet told us “we want the PvE community to have the same FUN as the PvP community”. HEY WAKE UP ! PvP Community is SO BORED ! (and dont tell me hardcorers are the PvP community … because they are not)

You just develop the PvE content, Ok your Hallowen event was Ok but why not include a REAL PVP PART? (Custom Svanir and Chief ? Are you serious? Nothing else for your pvp community? Wait… I forgot the re-looking of the Mists… well …)

Your game is called Guild Wars but something like “Skeletton worldland” seem more appropriate. Your game lack of PvP… Hotjoin PvP server are getting emptier and emptier… so are Free tournament and paid one… YES! Just take a look at your stats

Cheers

in PvP

Posted by: Whisperlude.3860

Whisperlude.3860

in PvP

Posted by: Whisperlude.3860

Whisperlude.3860

I think damage meters SHOULD get implemented in the game… just a thought….

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

No, theres nothing more important to fix Premades vs Pugs problem. Even your custom arena(server), well, i guess this one is the most important for Anet, cuz youre going to make money out of it. But yeah, premades vs pugs is actually one of the most important thing to fix.

You’re welcome to your opinion, but you’re in no position to tell anyone else what is or is not most important. You can just say you think this is the most important and provide the appropriate support for why.

Anyway, he apologized, which I appreciated. I think it would be healthy for the casual scene to match up non-teams with non-teams and vice-versa, but I can understand why they aren’t dedicating resources to it yet.

Either way, no matter what they prioritized, someone somewhere will create a thread like this stating that the game will die without a shift in priorities. The best you can hope for is to provide adequate supporting arguments to hopefully sway some minds and bump the priorities for what you want done.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Sorry, I totally misread that. As many of you have stated, I thought you were asking for the ability to PUG in free paid tourneys, which is what I responded to. Sorry for that. I was coming from one meeting, going to another, and tried to quickly get on the forums to at least read/post something. I apologize.

It’s not that we don’t care, is that’s we’re really busy adding things to the game. Custom Arenas are the current focus for my team. A fully 100% random tourney system (where all teams are random and no teams are an organized 5-person team) is something we can look at down the road, but I think there are many other things that are more important to get finished first (which I spoke about in my blog).

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding, and I’m heading out to another meeting.

More cheers,

J

There aren’t. Stop adding new features to make yourselves more money and start fixing what you have. Your current system is broken. This is not a new feature we’re asking for. We want you to fix what you already added, because it doesn’t work. Your customers don’t particularly appreciate the fact that you keep ignoring these problems to release more content when you’re not even handling what you’ve already released correctly. I don’t care about custom tournaments. Fix what you’ve got, because I can’t even use that, much less something so incredibly specific as a custom tournament.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

i feel the same :S , i am 80 for 3 weeks , done all dungs , doing eplorer spvp and wvw every day and slow leveling through spvp. but something is missing, some ranking stuff, some new gear, something. i like graphic but if thats only thing what game gives then Houston we have a problem comes.
improve wvw, spvp somehow because i prefer pvp>pve .

in PvP

Posted by: barti.7685

barti.7685

this thread should be on page 1 for several days imo devs should see this video and your reasoning behind it.. i don’t think its QQ at all everything you said makes sense espcially the part with the shark tank where new players get tossed into and that losing constantly is very demotivating and unrewarding for the pug groups in tpvp.

and the basic set up is indeed mesmer guardian and in 90% of the cases its an elementalist with a staff..

in PvP

Posted by: pEEtrs.4320

pEEtrs.4320

Very well written post OP.

/signed

I originally didn’t even want to buy GW2 (I was expecting what I’m now experiencing), but friends talked me into it so I said to myself: Heck, it’s pay once play whenever you want, if it’s gonna be last nail into MMO coffin for me, so be it.

Yet here I am and here’s how my usual evening goes:
1) Login
2) Play few hotjoins, then get utterly bored, because maps are just not balanced for 8v8.
3) Stare at my traits for few mins, thinking about some build I could try.
4) Log off and do something else.

Sure, I tried to do free tourneys, but as many other said, it’s not fun to get rolled by premades. I don’t mind losing as long as the match is good and I feel I learned something, but when you get rolled, only thing you learn is to stop playing tourneys.

Let’s look on other options I have? Hotjoins, well, considering that it’s 8v8 on maps designed for 5v5, it’s not fun either, you won’t learn anything when you get rolled by 6 people. Count in the fact, that there’s one map in rotation which shouldn’t even exist (yes, I’m looking at you sharks) or at least not with sharks (WTF are doing regular PvE mobs in PvP map??), you’re down to join different server every time this map comes up.

Alright, we tried two things in this, so called e-sporty competitive PvP MMO, what do we have next? Nothing. Oh right, I can do PvE, which bores me to death since Lineage 2. I can do WvW, which is traditional “PvP” where better equipment wins the fight. Been there, seen it, not like it.

I’m not going to rewrite again most of stuff already written by OP and other posters, perhaps one question (already asked in this thread):

Are you guys at ANet really the same guys who designed GW1?
If so, why you did not use ladder / matchmaking / GvG / Arenas from GW1 and make them even better in GW2?

Bit of off topic: ANet devs, please consider hiring someone else for GUI design. Absolutely worst UI I’ve ever seen in “modern” MMOs. Look at Warhammer how proper UI is done.

in PvP

samo.1054

-Remove the hotjoin 8v8 altogether.
-Make free tournaments function the way Random Arena functioned in GW1. -(No premades)
-Make paid tournaments function the way TA did in GW1, and let teams that won free tournaments get invited into the next round of paid tournaments. Teams should be premade only, along with the tournament winning teams from free tournaments.
-Start making some serious ranking system.

This way you get rid of quite a few problems.

-1st being the fact that hotjoin 8v8 has NOTHING to do with what GW2 spvp is all about
-2nd no more pug vs premade teams in free tournaments
-3rd reduced the queue time for paid torunaments
-4th people that come online to play spvp will play the spvp the way it was meant to be played – 5v5. Even if they only log in for an hour. Not that 8v8 mumbo jumbo.
-5th there will be quite alot of people playing tournaments that way. Many many more than what you have right now.

Thing si tho, that’s the way Anet should’ve handled it from the very beginning and I assure you things would be much different right now.

Funny, they had it all done in GW1, but screwed it all in GW2…